Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If you could have just fit in firing at a red square somewhere in that image, it would have been eve.jpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Grawl posted:

I love this game.

You never did send me the deed to that bridge in New York I purchased off you. :saddowns:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Grawl posted:

I love this game.

Now go get the far too rich publords that can pay for your sub several months over!

E:

something I still bust my sides at posted:

Commit Sudoku > hang on
HTIDRaver > how do i check my app?
Commit Sudoku > ok there is a hole with a thanatos pilot who's going to his family for 2 weeks so you can borrow the thanatos. Its uninsured though so please
don't lose it lol
Commit Sudoku > 44262f79b7018ec5 enter that on the main page
HTIDRaver > oh i wont
Commit Sudoku > at Check the status of your application:
HTIDRaver > 400 mill?
Commit Sudoku > you should be able to earn yourself a thanatos easily within a couple days wit that borrowed one
HTIDRaver > yeah i will
Commit Sudoku > yeah that's the sec deposit, I had to pay 500 it's less for capship pilots
Commit Sudoku > lucky you lmao
HTIDRaver > let me see what i can do...
HTIDRaver > ill have to sell ships
Commit Sudoku > we have a capital for you here man
HTIDRaver > lol i know. i hope you guys are legit about that and is it a wh where i can run sites with ppl?
Commit Sudoku > yeah
Commit Sudoku > there's ppl doing it right now
HTIDRaver > alright
HTIDRaver > is it triage fit?
Commit Sudoku > let me ask
HTIDRaver > i cant use t2 triage yet
Commit Sudoku > it has travel fit, t1 and t2 fit in cargo
Commit Sudoku > just refit it imo
HTIDRaver > does it have its fittings in the cargo?
Commit Sudoku > no that was my bad, they;re in the POS hangar
Commit Sudoku > lol sorry
HTIDRaver > oh so i can just refit it there?
Commit Sudoku > "its fitted t1, t2 and travel are in hangar"
Commit Sudoku > yeah
Commit Sudoku > its inside the bubble so yeah
HTIDRaver > alright cool. let me jump back to rens real fast
Commit Sudoku > np
HTIDRaver > am i gona get the cap from this guy when i get in hopefully tonight?
Commit Sudoku > once you paid the fee its about 30 minutes until the processing is done, then you can apply to corp
Commit Sudoku > every 12h someone checks apps
Commit Sudoku > and once you're in it's about 10 minutes to get into the hole and carrier
Commit Sudoku > I reserved the carrier for you so nobody will take it

I got 2 battleships and 400m out of that one and still get angry mails every week or so when he gets rejected again.

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 14, 2012

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

1stGear posted:

If you could have just fit in firing at a red square somewhere in that image, it would have been eve.jpg.

I never touched EVE yet I even I know the last thing you should do to join Goonfleet is to pay isk. Considering how big-time GF is now, do these dumbasses even bother google and read the GF registration page? Jeebus.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Palladium posted:

I never touched EVE yet I even I know the last thing you should do to join Goonfleet is to pay isk. Considering how big-time GF is now, do these dumbasses even bother google and read the GF registration page? Jeebus.

In this age of entitled children and idiots, the only information you need to know is what someone else tells you. Things like google and researching are for suckers. :smug:

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Edit.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 14, 2012

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Grawl posted:

All this for 11M, it's just not worth it :colbert:

Ask for the API first so you can check assets, if you see they really only have like 100m you can choose to just drop them and save time. Or you can see they have a secret stash of several billion on a different character they're hiding.

Scamming someone out of 10m is so mean :qq:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

SpazmasterX posted:

In this age of entitled children and idiots, the only information you need to know is what someone else tells you. Things like google and researching are for suckers. :smug:

If they were going to scam you, they'd just scam google too! It's the guys who everyone SAYS are scammers that must be legit, because they don't lie to cover it up. :shepface:

ipaid10buxforthis
May 11, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Puistokemisti posted:

The LoL thread has lots of angry people in it that love posting about how they just lost all the games they played due to no fault of their own and if you reply to them along lines "so I watched your replay and you aren't as faultless as you think" then you get two pages of people telling you that you are terrible and should never post again and then they go back to talking about how Riot has flagged them for losses and that's why they always get so terrible teams. The newest thread title "An Ongoing Dunning-Kruger Effect Study" is very fitting.

Uh, that thread is full of sticklers who love reporting and banning everything under the sun.

"GG noobs" is bannable.

saying "stop feeding" is bannable.

Every so often there's a 15 page debate on whether or not being competitive is worthy of being banned.

My favorite thing to do in lol is to use champions with temporary walls like anivia and jarvan and trap my team to their deaths. I also like using champions who have some sort of knock back ability (like tristana or alistar) and knock away enemies thus saving them. That game is so easy to grief in. Hell, playing evelynn is an instant grief.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
Edit.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 14, 2012

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Seriously, don't scam people for less than ~500m unless you're getting assets or something. Not only is it mean, but if you give them a month or so they might come through with money actually worth talking about. Just politely encourage them to work at getting more money, and to contact you again once they get it.

In related news, I and another guy have an ongoing scam that started out the same way. I'll post the details once it's complete.

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.

ipaid10buxforthis posted:

Uh, that thread is full of sticklers who love reporting and banning everything under the sun.

"GG noobs" is bannable.

Every so often there's a 15 page debate on whether or not being competitive is worthy of being banned.

My favorite thing to do in lol is to use champions with temporary walls like anivia and jarvan and trap my team to their deaths. I also like using champions who have some sort of knock back ability (like tristana or alistar) and knock away enemies thus saving them. That game is so easy to grief in. Hell, playing evelynn is an instant grief.

Shaco/Eve/Twitch roaming gank squad will piss off literally everyone else in the game. The enemy team will hate you because 3 people pop out of stealth to kill them and your own team will hate you because you're running around invisible with two of the worst characters in the game.

Team tank is fun too because you can drag it out forever, if you can get all 5 people to commit to it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

RO :words:

...This is a game that's running in 2012 using these rules & items? My GF & I are practically aghast that people would pay for this (and I play EVE).

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Italax posted:

your own team will hate you because you're running around invisible with two of the worst characters in the game.

Hey, now, Twitch was a terrible hero, but Shaco was pretty cool (And don't you dare say Eve, she was the Best Hero in that Terrible Game :colbert:)

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Italax posted:

Shaco/Eve/Twitch roaming gank squad will piss off literally everyone else in the game. The enemy team will hate you because 3 people pop out of stealth to kill them and your own team will hate you because you're running around invisible with two of the worst characters in the game.

Team tank is fun too because you can drag it out forever, if you can get all 5 people to commit to it.

The hero Zilean can timebomb friendlies. Eve and Twitch have long term stealth.

:v:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

...This is a game that's running in 2012 using these rules & items? My GF & I are practically aghast that people would pay for this (and I play EVE).

RO has been around since 2001 or something, and like most MMORPGs it's never been redesigned, just refined. So to speak.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

You basically asked them "How do I troll you guys? Please provide an itemized list. Including your deepest insecurities would be a plus" and then were shocked at them getting annoyed.

It makes sense when you put it like that but I figured because we're goons that loving with people was just what we do and that they would already have a clear idea of what to do. Its more or less expected in APB where you really are taking a gamble when you call for backup because getting murdered by backup is not exactly uncommon.

Anyway in heroes of newerth I've had lots of people vote to kick me, hasn't worked yet but no foaming at the mouth rage. It doesn't seem to matter if I just sit in spawn or allow myself to be killed over and over.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
I like that scam where he said he was going to work at getting the other 400 mil. That's gonna be a long con. Afterwards you should mention that the deposit has gone up.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

LethalGeek posted:

The game was orginally released in Korea in 2002 and was basically everything that was terrible about early MMOs and Korean MMOs. The game is actually f2p nowdays with ability to pay for VIP access that gives you bunch of benefits, althought I have to wonder who actually plays on the official servers since private servers started appearing quite early, often with such small things as exp/item drop rates not designed to grind your soul into dust, stat/skill reset and ability to remove slotted Cards from items. It's possible that it's more user friendly nowdays.

I was in korean beta, international beta and then paid for subscription when the iRO opened up. I could probably fill a page about stories of it but it wasn't really griefing, unless you consider whole playing experience as one.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

"GG noobs" is bannable.

As someone who doesn't know anything about LoL could someone explain why playing as evelynn is griefing?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Just assume that anyone who describes something simple as a grief is either playing something bad or playing something badly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Longinus00 posted:

As someone who doesn't know anything about LoL could someone explain why playing as evelynn is griefing?

Evelynn is a character who used to be really, really good, but in the words of the developers was "nerfed into utter uselessness" while one of the game mechanics she uses is being redone.

She's largely unplayable to the point of being a giant troll sign if selected.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Longinus00 posted:

Evelynn is poorly balanced because she was heavily nerfed in anticipation for a mechanics change that never happened. Additionally, she relies on invisibility, and in LoL invisibility can be completely negated with a couple of items. As long as the other team is smart enough to buy one or both of those items, your main weapon is gone and you become hilariously weak in comparison to everyone else.

People in LoL get very upset about losing, so being weak (which drags your whole team down) will piss them off. A lot.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 14, 2012

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
Edit.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 14, 2012

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

nevermind, already covered twice

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Longinus00 posted:

Well.
Once upon a time, Evelynn was probably the strongest champion in the game. She could appear from nowhere, stun you, kill you (which would refresh her abilities or something, it was before my time), then repeat on another person before they could react.
Riot Games decided that stealth was overpowered, and Evelynn doubly so. SO, they nerfed her to hell, stating they wanted her to be unplayable for the time being promising that she'd be fixed once they re-worked how stealth operates in the game.

That was something like two years ago. She has not been significantly altered since then and most players know it. She isn't BAD, per se, but there are better choices still.

Some people, especially those who follow the metagame, assume she is terrible and is worse than not having a fifth teammate.

Funny thing is, the only people who actually PLAY her are noobs who don't know, trolls (who perpetuate the sentiments against her), or people who ABSOLUTELY WRECK with her, getting 15 kills with no deaths a game

EDIT: drat, beaten to it, but I'll leave it up as I give a bit more info.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

LethalGeek posted:

The art design, the number of different, non-reskinned enemies, and the huge world can delay the realization that the game has absolutely nothing worth doing and is horribly made.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Grawl posted:

I can't believe this poo poo works.

Are you posting in EVE about Goonwaffe recruiting?

Because if you are, please stop.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
Grawl are those like one in a million or are you 3 for 3?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Oppenheimer posted:

Grawl are those like one in a million or are you 3 for 3?

+10%, you'll get it all back. Free ships too.

ipaid10buxforthis
May 11, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PokeWarVeteran posted:

Well.
Once upon a time, Evelynn was probably the strongest champion in the game. She could appear from nowhere, stun you, kill you (which would refresh her abilities or something, it was before my time), then repeat on another person before they could react.
Riot Games decided that stealth was overpowered, and Evelynn doubly so. SO, they nerfed her to hell, stating they wanted her to be unplayable for the time being promising that she'd be fixed once they re-worked how stealth operates in the game.

That was something like two years ago. She has not been significantly altered since then and most players know it. She isn't BAD, per se, but there are better choices still.

Some people, especially those who follow the metagame, assume she is terrible and is worse than not having a fifth teammate.

Funny thing is, the only people who actually PLAY her are noobs who don't know, trolls (who perpetuate the sentiments against her), or people who ABSOLUTELY WRECK with her, getting 15 kills with no deaths a game

EDIT: drat, beaten to it, but I'll leave it up as I give a bit more info.

as many have said, she's not very op anymore and takes a lot of patience and a good team to make her work.

The cheapest way to annoy people in that game (as early as champ select) is to just type "ALGUM BR?" in caps. So far it's 80 percent chance someone will dodge.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The cheapest way to annoy people in that game (as early as champ select) is to just type "ALGUM BR?" in caps. So far it's 80 percent chance someone will dodge.
Anyone who drops from a game at the sight of Brazilians wasn't around for Diablo 2 Koreans.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 14, 2012

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

Anyone who drops from a game at the sight of Brazilians wasn't around for Diablo 2 Koreans.

Is it just that a large portion of the population can't understand them, stupid young people being racist online, or do brazilians/koreans actually play differently somehow and that pisses people off?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Koreans were just funny because you could drop them at will by spamming long strings of periods and spaces into the chat. I don't remember having any specific bad memories other than they could power-game better than average and tended to lag your game out. D2X's launch was an uncomfortably long time ago.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sammus posted:

Is it just that a large portion of the population can't understand them, stupid young people being racist online, or do brazilians/koreans actually play differently somehow and that pisses people off?

It's a mix.

Some people cite communication. This is somewhat valid but a ton of games consist of very little text chat and mostly pinging. Text can help but the community generally uses shorthand to convey things quickly. Valid but iffy. I mean, at worst you'd have someone who is completely unaware of the various terms used in the game. What's a jungle? Why are you saying care? Etc. Sure, it'd be more difficult to explain to a Brazilian due to the language barrier but it's also incredibly rare for anyone to be patient/kind enough to explain such things during an actual game. Valid but an incredibly iffy reason.

Brazilians have a reputation for being bad players. There's plenty of bad players that speak internet English. It's a horrible reason to drop out but because LoL essentially locks you into the game once it starts (Champion selection finishes, etc.), people will just dodge during selection if they feel someone on their team will cost them a win. And games can last anywhere from 20 minutes to more than an hour. You can't surrender until 20 minutes and that's only with 4/5 votes, and there's always those people who insist that you can, in fact, win despite all signs pointing to the opposite.

So yeah, people are dumb.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
Its taken me the best part of 3 months to read this whole thread but its been amazing.

The joyously antagonizing nature of the stories so far brought back the only memories I have of being mildly successful/dangerous in an online game, which unfortunately was Monopoly City Streets

For those who don't remember, Monopoly City Streets was a web based property buying simulator linked with Google Maps that allowed you to virtually buy REAL STREETS

With these streets you could earn rent, build value-add property on them and, if a Chance card fell your way, build Sewerage Plants and Factories on the streets of your opponents that would wipe out any income their streets could earn unless they could demolish the building with a Chance card of their own.

The game has closed now, but at the time my friend and I both worked a job that was both boring enough, and afforded us the ability to, play Monopoly City Streets literally all day.

The two key points of the game for us were;

- The more streets you own, the more chance cards you get and therefore the more damage you could do to others, but
- Owning more than 10 streets would incur tax fees on streets 11 and above

You probably know where this going, in fact I think we got the idea from an SA thread in the first place, but we'd setup one account with 10 good earning streets that would provide tax-free income for a second account, which would buy hundreds of lovely streets everywhere.

We started in our home city, which was largely ignored by the rest of the world, and just bought every street we saw with our sub accounts. At the start of the day (after the server processed the days rent income), our main account would offer to buy some pathetic alleyway off the sub account for a ridiculously inflated price, the sub account would then take that money and buy another hundred or so streets, with chance cards raining from the sky at the same time.

If the main account saw a nice street owned by someone else, the sub account would smash it with devaluing buildings until the owner eventually sold it to us for our insultingly low offer. Or we would just smash it because gently caress that guy.

I think by a couple of months into it, the sub accounts owned nearly the whole north side of our city, and started pushing well into the south and west. I'm quite sure theres others who did much better with the same tactic, but we had fun.

That was my griefing story which really didnt contain much of what you would call griefing at all.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

maxe posted:

Monopoly

Sounds less like griefing and more modern business practices. Still funny though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

PokeWarVeteran posted:

Sounds less like griefing and more modern business practices. Still funny though.

Implying griefing and modern business practices are all that different.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Sammus posted:

I ran into better LoL players during Asian primetime than I did during US primetime. A lot of it's just internet racism, but honestly I'd rather have someone swearing at me in a language I don't understand than one I do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

LethalGeek posted:

I've posted about it in this thread before, but Ragnarok Online was my first MMO. So this was before I learned just how much I was actually torturing myself while griefing others. I played RO around what may have been the prime of its life. Some things have changed since then, but the game is largely the same.

How about our favorite class, the priest? I played a full support priest, meaning all his status and skill points were spent for the benefit of my guild and my party. No meaningful offensive ability at all! To level up a support priest, you generally had to tag along with others while they set about grinding literally tens of thousands of monsters. They get less experience, but they also get free heals and maybe even warp portals.

You can normally change from acolyte to priest at job level 40. Many people would turn up their noses upon learning of a support priest who promoted at job level 40. How lazy! What you really wanted to do was keep on grinding to the cap of 50 for 10 more precious skill points. I did this only once on the official servers. My acolyte was character level 63, job 50. Character level caps at 99. I did this while going AFK for hours while an assassin friend murdured giant mutant clocks like a machine. People did this because support priests were just that amazing and Joe Shmoe didn't have the backing of top tier guilds with incredible resources.

So what about my assassin friend? He started out as a thief. Thieves aren't really bad at all as far as grinding goes. They're pretty much evasion tanks that use daggers. Daggers use strength for damage and dexterity for accuracy. Unfortunately for my friend, he planned on becoming a critical assassin. Any attack which turns up critical normally can't miss. It'll also strike for maximum damage every time while ignoring defense. So crit assassins are easily the most brainless mob grinding machines in the game.

Point is, that friend never spent a single point in dexterity for his entire life as a dagger swinging thief. Even with special equipment and buffs, he missed often. But he finally hit job 40-ish and became an assassin. The pain doesn't stop there. Critical assassins need an array of high demand monster cards to reach 100% critical chance! Should you choose to hunt these yourself, you'd generally need at least 3 of those 1 in 10,000 drops.

The amount of preparation required for some classes is incredible. There were originally no stat or skill point resets. For a long while, there wasn't even a confirmation before spending points! One wrong click could leave you considering remaking a character you've already spent a couple hundred hours on.

Equipment upgrades. Castle economy. World boss spawns. World boss cards. Blacksmithing and alchemy. Hats. While not quite the worst, nearly every aspect of this game is a soul crushing grind. In closing, here is a chart depicting the experience curve during the period I played RO:

tl;dr Ragnarok Online actively griefs every last player.

• Locked thread