Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I had a set of Dunlop Q2's on the SV and they did great on the track and would be fine on the street. Any DOT performance tire is a good option, really, as long as its not the most extreme. I wouldn't want to run Pilot Ones or Pirelli Dragon SuperCorsas on the street in anything other than perfect weather.

Many people go their whole track and amateur racing career using only DOT rubber. I've never run non-DOT on the track bike or used warmers. Modern tires are so good that just about anything sporty will do just fine on an SV.

The only tires I've ever had problems with on the track are Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs, which got very greasy and slippery when ridden hard in the heat of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
What's the rear wheel width on your crf? I've got a 4.5" on the husky, and I'm thinking of going back to a 150 (conti sm attack)rear, the edge of the 160 maxxis slicks are unusable. Same thing with the sv and the power one 160.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

GanjamonII posted:

3 (I think - TWS, GSS, MSRH..missing anything?) within 1.5 hours and more further out. Plus new track being built in Austin.

One of the few truly good things about motorcycling in Houston.

Has there been any news about motorcycle track days at the new track in Austin? I think my next bike will be a track bike, especially if there is a track less than 30 minutes away. Now all I need is a garage.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Zool posted:

What's the rear wheel width on your crf? I've got a 4.5" on the husky, and I'm thinking of going back to a 150 (conti sm attack)rear, the edge of the 160 maxxis slicks are unusable. Same thing with the sv and the power one 160.

Pretty sure it's a 4.5", I'm running a 150 pilot sport 2 on there now but it is old and crappy. I'd be fine running a 150 on both, especially if they are cheaper.

Worked on the CRF tonight and it looks like I might be ok. Crankcase breather tube was full of oil so I drained that, cleaned up the plug, changed the oil and took a boroscope to the engine just for fun. Everything looks fine and it started right up and sounded normal. So might have just been oil that has been building up for a while in the breather and air box. Going to see if I can borrow a compression tester tomorrow.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

NitroSpazzz posted:

For those of you with a track bike that also sees some (limited) street use, what tires are you using?

The CRF needs better tires, the SV needs tires. They both see some street riding which is spent in the mountains and other fun roads, will see very little rain unless it rains at the track. I'm running fast novice to intermediate pace and would prefer to avoid tire warmers for now.

I'm not super worried about being DOT legal but it would nice. Something that is easy to find as a take off would be even better. 120 front, 160 rear.
Q2's

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Pirelli Diablo Supercorsas. Handle the cold and wet better than the Dragon Supercorsas, plus insane dry grip.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Spiffness posted:

The only tires I've ever had problems with on the track are Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs, which got very greasy and slippery when ridden hard in the heat of the day.

I honest to god thought I was just imagining this poo poo. I've been through two pairs of 2ct's and coincidentally, those are the only tires that I have ever crashed with.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

invision posted:

I honest to god thought I was just imagining this poo poo. I've been through two pairs of 2ct's and coincidentally, those are the only tires that I have ever crashed with.

I had them get slippery on the edges where the compound changes at street pace, gently caress riding them at track pace. Maybe it's the Arizona heat.

I loved Q2s and BT003s. Maybe I am smoking crack but the BT003 felt like a much softer carcass than the Q2 and I kinda liked the additional feel.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

For those of you with a track bike that also sees some (limited) street use, what tires are you using?

The CRF needs better tires, the SV needs tires. They both see some street riding which is spent in the mountains and other fun roads, will see very little rain unless it rains at the track. I'm running fast novice to intermediate pace and would prefer to avoid tire warmers for now.

I'm not super worried about being DOT legal but it would nice. Something that is easy to find as a take off would be even better. 120 front, 160 rear.

BT090 or Dunlop Alpha 10 would be interesting to try if this is a lightened SV track bike. Both very nice for lighter bikes with less power.

IMO, at fast novice to intermediate you don't even need a road sports tyre, at least not with 67hp (assuming this is an SV650 not a thou), and it will be easier to find takeoffs in decent condition if you just buy an up-to-date sports touring tyre. Has the bonus that they last longer and have very little warm up time for road riding. Roadsmart, BT023, Angel ST, whatever the Michelin choice these days is should all be good.

Also more likely to find them in 160. When I had my 600 F2, it came with an old BT012 on the back and when I asked the track day tyre dude what he had in 160, he just shrugged and picked his nose. 180 and 190 only is what I guess that meant.

You don't need tyre warmers for ever (also IMO) unless you're club racing and either using a slick that requires pre-heating or just really need that holeshot into the first corner. The tyres will warm themselves.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Finally put my Contour to good use. I did the first race of the year at a new track, OVRP in NY, this Sunday since my local track cancelled sumo this year. So much better. The asphalt section is a go-kart track that's smoother and a dirt section that isn't overgrown with grass. Even the drive up was nice. Also only $45 to race, holy crap.

Riding-wise I was really rusty and on top of that my bike felt greasy. 90 degree temps might have something to do with it, but I kept changing tire pressures and everyone I talked to gave me different advice on psi. My ContiSMs are looking like they might be done already after only three events and maybe 300 street miles. Plus I still don't have the proper spring for my weight either so I need to setup the suspension as well.

There is no beginner class there so I raced in the novice and would have been last except one guy overheated at the starting line and another crashed in the dirt and couldn't start his bike so I think 5th out of 7? Either way I can't wait to go back next month but would really like to have the bike setup better (and ride better myself too).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_K4_49usp4

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ended up going with the Q2's because there was a special on them so they were cheap. Got the rear on, front is being a pain in the rear end and won't seat. Will fight with it more tonight.

Need to get the bike together and hopefully bring it to the track Monday to see how I like sport bikes on the track vs motards. Actually hoping I enjoy the SV more than the 'tard because there are more tracks I can run it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Try pulling the valve core then inflating it. You need an inflator that works by a handle, like this. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915660000P?mv=rr

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

NitroSpazzz posted:

Ended up going with the Q2's because there was a special on them so they were cheap. Got the rear on, front is being a pain in the rear end and won't seat. Will fight with it more tonight.

Need to get the bike together and hopefully bring it to the track Monday to see how I like sport bikes on the track vs motards. Actually hoping I enjoy the SV more than the 'tard because there are more tracks I can run it.

My 690's rear wouldn't seat fully with Q2s (tube was sticking). What Zool said, and/or lots of soap. Getting the tire hot in the sun helps, too.

I'm sure you know all this...

I went to the track last week with a new club at their first event. It was fun, but I felt off my pace. Later I realized my rear was at the wear bar and the front was fast approaching it. While I didn't push the limits, I'm glad I learned a lesson in tire life and how to read the feedback.

At the end of the day I picked up a set of pirelli track day slicks for $50, with a single day on them.

Also, my rear wheel bearing gave up the ghost at the end of the day. Turn 8 is a slow, long sweeper and I started to hear a chirp mid corner and the bike felt unsettled. God drat...

I had the suspension guy setup my damping and preload. My front was too soft, basically. The next session I nearly endo'd on the back straight :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0hYuMHW_Rc

I follow my two friends for a handful of sessions. One is riding a desmo, the other a 1098S :D R6 POWAH

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 22, 2012

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Zool posted:

Try pulling the valve core then inflating it. You need an inflator that works by a handle, like this. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915660000P?mv=rr

Yeah have the valve core out and pretty much an identical inflator. My dinky air compressor doesn't have enough volume I don't think, headed to use a coworkers this afternoon.

edit: it popped right on with a big compressor and a bit of soapy water. Scarred the poo poo out of coworker but that's ok.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 22, 2012

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
Just to share, did my first track day last Friday! triumph675.net forums, so almost nothing on the track but the Triumph triples. Only 2 Street triples tho. It was awesome.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The flat colors that triumph does are so cool...how was the bike on track?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Z3n posted:

The flat colors that triumph does are so cool...how was the bike on track?
Yeah, I was looking for the grey one, but the orange looked so good in person, there wasn't a question.

On the track I have nothing to compare it to, but it pretty much went where I wanted to go, and I wasn't worried about getting there, if that says anything. Riding it on the track was about the most fun thing ever though.

I did nearly fail tech. I lube my chain with gear oil, and so the inside of the belly pan was caked with oily grime, and the tech thought I had a leak.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose
Just went onto the track for the first time at Thunderbolt Raceway in NJ. Took the California Superbike School Level 1 course on Tuesday rented one of the BMW S1000RRs from them. I've only been riding for a year and about 10k miles. Normally I ride an ER6N so this was quite a jump even in rain mode. The brakes were just phenomenal, I can't believe how much speed you can scrub with light pressure. It was amazing, I'm now on the lookout for a decent used SV to make a track bike out of.

The course itself helped a ton, my fastest lap of the first session was a 2:35, by the last session I was consistently hitting 2:08. Got to really get a taste of getting off the bike and leaning it in, way more than I'd risk on the street. I really feel so much more confident on a bike and just really really excited about getting into track days.

I shot some GoPro footage, but it didn't quite get aimed right, so it's a little downward pointing (drat supersport riding position tricked me). This is the last session of the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI3v2lGLvNs

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Gullous posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0hYuMHW_Rc

I follow my two friends for a handful of sessions. One is riding a desmo, the other a 1098S :D R6 POWAH

Haha holy poo poo that blue R6 at 10:46. Excellent.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Just to share, did my first track day last Friday! triumph675.net forums, so almost nothing on the track but the Triumph triples. Only 2 Street triples tho. It was awesome.

That looks really sweet, the colors and the bike!

Wow, that's super cool! How was the instruction at CSS? How much 1 on 1 did you get with instructors? CSS is coming to the local track but at $2300 I'll have to pass.

My lap timer just came in the mail. I'm looking forward to the accurate timing info (before I was using the gopro footage).

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

Gullous posted:

That looks really sweet, the colors and the bike!

Wow, that's super cool! How was the instruction at CSS? How much 1 on 1 did you get with instructors? CSS is coming to the local track but at $2300 I'll have to pass.

My lap timer just came in the mail. I'm looking forward to the accurate timing info (before I was using the gopro footage).

Well I only did the day course, not the 2 or 3 day one. With bike/leather rental and timing I paid ~600 (can't recall exactly). So for that much and a gentle introduction to the track I think it was worth it.

As far as instructor time, each session you would basically follow an instructor for a lap individually. They would observe you first and then take you around trying to put you on the proper line and reminding you of the drill at a percentage of the speed they think you are doing. That way you would be more comfortable working on the skills. Then they let you head off on your own. After the session you get about 15 or so minutes talking in a group (was 3 for us) with them about your ride.

In between that are the classroom sessions where they describe the next drill, etc. We also had a quick steering drill off the track.

I had read Twist of the Wrist 2 (and a few other books) several times each over the course of last year so a lot of the classroom info wasn't completely new. However, getting to actually put it into practice was invaluable.

In summary, if it wasn't sold out, I'd be signed up for the July session. I still might be able to squeeze level 2 in come September.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

NitroSpazzz posted:

Scarred the poo poo out of coworker but that's ok.

That's horrible, is he going to get reconstructive surgery?

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
going to the Colin Edwards Texas Tornado Boot Camp tomorrow!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Veritas posted:

Man, I'm jealous as gently caress. Me and Spiff have wanted to do that for forever. Post up how it was when you get back!

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Veritas posted:

I'm so jealous dude :(

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
TTBC breakdown:

Fun as gently caress. show up, grab some gear, grab a bike, and riiiiiiide.

got broken up into groups by skill level. i was in the advanced group, with Joe P. (pike's peak repeat winner) as our instructor. got a feel for the tracks, ran some drills, worked on a few things. you ride TTR 125's with a knobbie front, and a slick rear. we were sliding all over the place. at first it's a little odd, especially coming from road racing where i don't want my rear slipping so much. after a little while though, i started getting the hang of it and building some confidence. to much confidence. i crashed A LOT. would come into turns to hot and try to make it up on the brakes, aaand tuck the front. oooor go into a turn like a boss, get on the gas to hard on exit, and slide out more than i wanted, then boom. down again. rode some trails for fun, tried out their makeshift trials course (its small) rode all their tracks. they fed us lunch, drinks a plenty. buddy probably drank more monsters than he should have. there is beer too, but no drinking and riding. i can totally see how the boot camp would help build confidence for other types of riding. colin was there, talked and hung out with him for a bit. shea fouchek was also instructing, super cool, super fast dude. at the end of the day you do a 'super pole' lap, which is all the tracks combined. the record is a 1:24. shea ran a 1:30, Joe P. a 1:31. my slow rear end pulled a 1:53, with a crash! watching those guys rail the bikes and slide around everywhere is a whole different animal. had a great time, cool people, cool place, learning experience for sure. so yea, i liked it. :)

oh, and its totally awesome to beat up someone else's bike and gear.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Had my first on track crash, uneventful and the suit/gloves held up just fine.

The CRF oil issue I thought I fixed wasn't fixed. Three warm up laps followed by three fairly fast laps and it was done. Felt a miss halfway down the 1-2 straight so backed off a bit, leaned in and the rear end came right around. Slid on my rear end and palm to the edge of the track. Oil from the airbox again and the crankcase overflow was full, was empty this morning.

No oil on the track is the good thing but I feel dumb for bringing the bike back out there and risking oil on the track again but I thought it was fine. Caused a guy following me to go off track but he kept it upright. Apparently couldn't ride it hard enough on my after "fix" test run or something.

So got back to pits and had three bikes to choose from, I ride with a great group of people. Did two sessions on a friends zx6, I was slow as poo poo but it was still fun. Should have some video from the zx6 laps, had the camera on the CRF when I went down but didn't have it recording.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 29, 2012

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Veritas posted:

TTBC breakdown:

Fun as gently caress. show up, grab some gear, grab a bike, and riiiiiiide.

got broken up into groups by skill level. i was in the advanced group, with Joe P. (pike's peak repeat winner) as our instructor. got a feel for the tracks, ran some drills, worked on a few things. you ride TTR 125's with a knobbie front, and a slick rear. we were sliding all over the place. at first it's a little odd, especially coming from road racing where i don't want my rear slipping so much. after a little while though, i started getting the hang of it and building some confidence. to much confidence. i crashed A LOT. would come into turns to hot and try to make it up on the brakes, aaand tuck the front. oooor go into a turn like a boss, get on the gas to hard on exit, and slide out more than i wanted, then boom. down again. rode some trails for fun, tried out their makeshift trials course (its small) rode all their tracks. they fed us lunch, drinks a plenty. buddy probably drank more monsters than he should have. there is beer too, but no drinking and riding. i can totally see how the boot camp would help build confidence for other types of riding. colin was there, talked and hung out with him for a bit. shea fouchek was also instructing, super cool, super fast dude. at the end of the day you do a 'super pole' lap, which is all the tracks combined. the record is a 1:24. shea ran a 1:30, Joe P. a 1:31. my slow rear end pulled a 1:53, with a crash! watching those guys rail the bikes and slide around everywhere is a whole different animal. had a great time, cool people, cool place, learning experience for sure. so yea, i liked it. :)

oh, and its totally awesome to beat up someone else's bike and gear.

Welp, probably gonna spend my YZ money on doing this then.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
i know its kinda lat minute, but do any houston or centex goons wanna ride MSRH tomorrow?

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Veritas posted:

i know its kinda lat minute, but do any houston or centex goons wanna ride MSRH tomorrow?

I was planning on doing this but need to pick up wife from airport instead.

Im currently planning on doing the TWS doubleheader with LSTD on July 7/8 though if you guys are interested!

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
so check it out. July 7th @ MSRH, running it CCW. it's gonna be like a whole new track!

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Veritas posted:

so check it out. July 7th @ MSRH, running it CCW. it's gonna be like a whole new track!

Oh man. The launch is going to be so fun backwards.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
selling some race parts. got some aftermarket APE cams, stock wiring harness, 2 sets of shark skinz bodywork. all for an 07 gsxr 600.

link to my sale thread.
http://wforiders.com/forums/showthread.php?34353-07-GSXR-600-Race-parts

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Did my first trackday with the Tuono yesterday at Rockingham, sharing the bike with my brother in law.

I discovered that sport-touring tyres don't really cut it on the Tuono for track use, unfortunately for my wallet. They were running one of the more balanced layouts at Rockingham with about 50% right handed corners, and my rear BT023 was already just about down to the wear bars on the right (most layouts are left handed, so I thought I'd get away with it).

By the end of session 2 the rear tyre was dead, and I managed to get about halfway to a highside while gently tapping the power on. I'm not a sticky-tyre tart, but if you can't manage a cruising lap in the initial sessions without being pogoed upright on the exit, it's probably a sign that something better is needed. I ended up paying for a BT016 to match my part-worn BT016 Pro front.

The Tuono ended up working well on track, although it did show up the fact that my shock is mostly hosed. The bike was basically bouncing away whenever you got on the throttle. No moments once the new tyre went on, and it was as predictable and easy to place on the track as it is on the road. Very much a bike of its time as far as sheer size goes - while far easier to ride because it's thinner and 10-20hp slower, it reminded me to some extent of my old 954. They both have very similar Showa front ends IIRC, so that might partly explain it.

It didn't have any trouble keeping up with the newer bikes - I was out in the "experienced" group and it was able to take lengths out of a variety of big Ducatis and Japanese liter bikes on corner exit. Only a couple of bikes (an 1198 track bike comes to mind) could clearly beat its corner speed, and even the 1198 couldn't pull away over a full lap. I think that's pretty good for an 8 year old naked streetbike, albeit this organiser attracts less boy racers than others, so while the competing equipment was better, the riders probably weren't as aggressive. Definitely going to swap in a used Ohlins from an RSV/Tuono Factory or pick up a Nitron Track for it, for safety if nothing else. A bit more ride height would probably also help it out in transitions, where it was a bit slow.

Just as on the road, once the back tyre was sorted out, the front felt like it was going to push first, and with 2" risers and wide bars instead of clip ons it was tough to do anything to get much more weight on the front. Not an issue in slow corners when trailing brake in, more something that came up in fast corners at maximum lean. As it's a road bike, it's not really a huge concern, and it will get toes and peg-ends down before the front's really pushing, so that's good enough for me.

Forgot my camera so probably no pictures to come, but coolest bike of the day was a beat-to-poo poo 90s 900SS with a rattle-can matt black paint job, white frame, rust, two band-aids over a dent in the tank, a slow oil leak from the rear cylinder and a Nitron race shock. Nothing on it was clean. The rider was keeping up with most of the fast group, just getting killed on the straights. He also rode it there and was the only dude in our group other than me with lights and a number plate. Only his second track day, and he rode it up from London. :rock: Also :australia: - predictably the owner wasn't a middle-aged Englishman with yet another middle-management mid-life crisis trackbike.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
That's awesome Saga, sounds fun. It's funny how track riding illuminates a bike's weak points.

I can relate to the "fast bikes going slow" thing. Yesterday I was at a Ducati dealership sponsored track day, with a shitload of 1098 / 1198s, two desmos, and a 1199. It's hard not to get :smug: about passing nearly all of them, but the club's attitude is more tame than I'm used to. More "lets enjoy our bikes" vs "laptimes".

I was on slicks this time, vs Q2s. The profile felt amazing for track riding; Tip in is fast, and they're planted on the side. They were more sensitive to tire pressure than I noticed with the Q2s. I was off by 1.5psi hot and the rear would get squirmy on the transition to power.

I ran a lap timer for the first time. My best was a 1:58, and I'd consistently do a 2:00 through traffic, so I'm satisfied with that. My best was a ~1:55, after a weekend of riding and following racers around.

One session I battled my friend, who was an instructional rider. He would get caught in traffic, I'd pass, get caught in the next group, and he'd pass. Repeat for 20 minutes. Uploading the footage now.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Gullous posted:

That's awesome Saga, sounds fun. It's funny how track riding illuminates a bike's weak points.

I can relate to the "fast bikes going slow" thing. Yesterday I was at a Ducati dealership sponsored track day, with a shitload of 1098 / 1198s, two desmos, and a 1199. It's hard not to get :smug: about passing nearly all of them, but the club's attitude is more tame than I'm used to. More "lets enjoy our bikes" vs "laptimes".

I was on slicks this time, vs Q2s. The profile felt amazing for track riding; Tip in is fast, and they're planted on the side. They were more sensitive to tire pressure than I noticed with the Q2s. I was off by 1.5psi hot and the rear would get squirmy on the transition to power.

I ran a lap timer for the first time. My best was a 1:58, and I'd consistently do a 2:00 through traffic, so I'm satisfied with that. My best was a ~1:55, after a weekend of riding and following racers around.

One session I battled my friend, who was an instructional rider. He would get caught in traffic, I'd pass, get caught in the next group, and he'd pass. Repeat for 20 minutes. Uploading the footage now.

At least they had those beasts out in their natural habitat - the track!

I've never run slicks but I was floored at the difference between decent street/track rubber and full on DOT race tires. They're amazing, and it's a huge confidence boost to know your tires are far, far better than you are. They just cost a ton :(

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

The owner let this guy rip it up on the 1199; he shredded the tires.

Footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws5nmzKLk2o

My buddy was marshaling; I lure him into a battle around 5:30. We race around, taking turns blocking each other in traffic.

I need to retract my comment about the panigale. It appears around 6:15, but that's not the owner. No shame in keeping it tame on $20k of borrowed bike.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
It was definitely a trackday aimed mostly at street riders - actually literally described as a training day, although it was more like a track day with actual instructors (if you wanted them) instead of riding marshalls or whatever you want to call them.

Outside of the "fast" (but going gently?) group, there were lots of the sort of bikes you never see on a (UK) trackday any more - i.e. bikes with numberplates, lots of things that weren't generic 600/1000cc Japanese sportsbikes. Much more how trackdays used to be with a friendly atmosphere rather than lots of dick waving.

I'd definitely do one with the same dudes again.

http://www.rapidtraining.co.uk/trainingdays.html

Oh, and I got my Ducatis mixed up, it was a 1098 track bike not an 1198. I can't really tell them apart after the 999.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

needknees posted:

I've never run slicks but I was floored at the difference between decent street/track rubber and full on DOT race tires. They're amazing, and it's a huge confidence boost to know your tires are far, far better than you are. They just cost a ton :(

and once you run nice rubber, there is no going back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Gullous posted:

Yesterday I was at a Ducati dealership sponsored track day, with a shitload of 1098 / 1198s, two desmos, and a 1199. It's hard not to get :smug: about passing nearly all of them,

This.. I know its immature but lapping a dude on a 1198 (1198 RS? Whichever one had all the flash carbon fiber) my old SV650 was the highlight of one of my track days, same thing for passing up a couple of guys on brand spanking new RSV4s on my Tuono.

Content: I am doing July 7th and 8th at TWS if any Texas-goons are going hit me up! Lone Star Track Days are the org this time. Super excited.

Could use some advice from the more knowledgeable:
- I am wondering if its worth throwing on the 40 tooth rear sprocket for the weekend. I like the little bit of oomph the 42 gives at street speeds but I figure the high speed nature of TWS will be better suited by a 40. I'm unsure whether there is enough of a significant difference to bother swapping it out.

- Currently have a set of Q2s on there which have probably 2-3000 miles + 1 novice class track day on them, the rear is basically just at the wear indicator in the middle and the front looks like maybe 50%.
The rear has meat left on the sides (Houston...) which is why I am considering keeping them for at least a portion of this weekend.
Does that sound like it would pass tech?
To me it feels borderline but I am hardly an authority, I've never taken tires that were this close to the wear indicator before.

Lastly, I'll be running B group for the first time this weekend, if it was C I wouldn't stress at all but I just don't know how 'fast' B is comparatively.
Any advice you would give to a first time B group rider?

• Locked thread