Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

TLM posted:

That song they ended B&V on is one of my favorite songs they have.

"The Bacon Bazooker" and "Chubby Conquistador, The" are the best names for a penis ever and I don't care how immature it is.
"...start the Impact review Vinny." was the best song.
It's a shame that gag only works once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000

CVagts posted:

Dave has the best sense of humor.

For reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrryTEM5wBw

I want to burn this motherfuckers house down.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

e: tabs are confusing

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
So, did people enjoy my awful Beastie Boys impression this week?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bruno is the best. I have heard some of these stories before but I could listen to them 100 times.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Bruno always has the best shows.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I don't give the slightest gently caress about the WWWF but Bruno is incredibly entertaining and the nicest person.

quote:

I don't want to judge the man and his whole career. But with what I experienced a little bit I absolutely thought he was terrible.
:allears:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bruno is great. Really don't know what else to say. :)

Jabba The American
Sep 5, 2011

I'm gonna have you thrown out of here in a minute!

dshban posted:

It's either a modern art masterpiece or a war crime. Sometimes, what's the difference?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

dshban posted:

It made a nice break from Larry's Miss Piggy songs, I'll tell you that!

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Jabba The American posted:

It's either a modern art masterpiece or a war crime. Sometimes, what's the difference?

That's the exact line I was hoping to straddle.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

it did have the net effect of making me turn the podcast off for 5 minutes and listen to the original really really loud. So for that at least you have my thanks.

on a note about other podcasts, I'm trying to decide whether it's time to stop listening to My Breakfast With Chikara. I really want this to be a fun show, but what it ends up being is a bad interviewer asking wrestlers dull questions about their workout routine and their favourite gas station.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Yeah it lives and dies on the wrestler being able to carry a one sided conversation.

They need a new host or a bunch of fan questions or something.
PJ is no Colt Cabana.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"He bought a ticket. He's like the only one who paid."
"And he didn't even get a good seat from it!"

:smug:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

So after coming across his tirade on Jon Snowden and his review of Splice, my opinion of Mike Coughlin just got a lot more favorable. I was near tears listening to the latter at work today.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Gonna be fun to see if Dave responds to Dana calling him out in his vlog.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Fauxhawk Express posted:

So after coming across his tirade on Jon Snowden and his review of Splice, my opinion of Mike Coughlin just got a lot more favorable. I was near tears listening to the latter at work today.

Where's this at? Took a quick look around the board, and didn't see it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Akileese posted:

What happened here?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Akileese posted:

How did Dana call him out?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

He got mad that Meltzer said the UFC rating sucked and said "Dave Meltzer, you just lost your job at Yahoo, buddy. The last thing anyone needs from you is business advice."

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

He got mad that Meltzer said the UFC rating sucked and said "Dave Meltzer, you just lost your job at Yahoo, buddy. The last thing anyone needs from you is business advice."

I love how this makes no sense whatsoever.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Dana UFC on Fuel Faifax Vlog

Entertaining promo on Dave.

e: He has a decent case.

The absolute numbers were poo poo but UFC on Fox 3 was the top show in all male demos and the main event among all adults.

ee: Assuming Dana isn't just making poo poo up.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 15, 2012

Marketed Gum
Jun 26, 2007

For those that don't know, Yahoo's new CEO shut down the MMA division despite the fact that it was successful compared to other parts of the site. Also Dave Meltzer has been studying ratings much longer than Dana White has.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Also Dave apparently has a new gig on Grantland (Bill Simmons' ESPN offshoot). Not that they do MMA stories very often (Dave's one article there was about Overeem).

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Labored Wooting posted:

For those that don't know, Yahoo's new CEO shut down the MMA division despite the fact that it was successful compared to other parts of the site. Also Dave Meltzer has been studying ratings much longer than Dana White has.

Yahoo took a bunch of competent writers and replaced them with stupid blog hacks because for next to nothing, they'll write anything for clicks, even if it's ridiculous and totally false.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The absolute numbers were poo poo but UFC on Fox 3 was the top show in all male demos and the main event among all adults.

It means nothing though, because almost anything sports will win that demo on a Saturday night because almost anyone that age is out and about and if they're not, they're staying in to watch sports.

poo poo, quote is not edit

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
It's a really bad number, and Dana is just trying to spin things. You could tell he wasn't completely serious when he almost started cracking up talking about his article on how not to lose your job at Yahoo Sports.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey guys, Jordan, Jesse GO, an excellent podcast, has Colt Cabana as a guest today. They're not a comedy podcast but it's a hilarious combo.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Here's a link to Jordan, Jesse, Go! because I'm not literally worse than Hitler.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Frankly it was a "if the next one wasn't already on the schedule, it wouldn't be airing in a remotely decent time slot" number, and the fact that Zuffa hasn't moved a big fight onto that show indicates to me that they know the die is already cast.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

per Dave:

quote:

Here's all I want to say.

Dana called me and told me what he was going to do ahead of time saying he didn't want to blindside me. He was pissed at the article in last week's Observer and if he's pissed he doesn't hold it in. And I've got no issue with that or with him. I wish he hadn't brought up the Yahoo thing just because it brings sympathy to me that I don't want and that it probably does him no benefit to the outside world to be doing. It appears he's kicking a guy when he's down and I'm not down, so it didn't bother me, but to the outside world, I don't know how it comes across. th someone

Rather than rallying around me or saying Dana's hurting into Eric or Vince, just read the article. If you think I wasn't fair and presenting both sides of the story, then he's right to be mad. If you think I was fair, then that's cool. Any discussions should be about the points in the article because if anyone thinks I'm mad at him, well, that's the furthest thing from the case.

As far as I'm concerned, I thought the article was fair. He didn't. We've disagreed before and agree far more than we disagree when it comes to the product.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't blame Dana for being mad. Meltzer kept saying how one rating wouldn't mean anything the first time and that the second would mean something, then when the second came around and was a good rating he said wait for the third. Finally a bad rating comes around and he writes that huge article.

Dana saying what he said wasn't the way to do it, but I'd be a bit mad.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

I don't blame Dana for being mad. Meltzer kept saying how one rating wouldn't mean anything the first time and that the second would mean something, then when the second came around and was a good rating he said wait for the third. Finally a bad rating comes around and he writes that huge article.

Dana saying what he said wasn't the way to do it, but I'd be a bit mad.

That's not really how it went. Dave had legitimate reasons to be skeptical of the third number. There were no names. No NFL to hype it during.

Meltzer's been analyzing ratings for like 2 decades now. I'm pretty sure he doesn't just make poo poo up.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

thanks Dave! now I have this mental image of Dana ordering the UFC ring girl out from under his desk to fetch his blogger's Rolodex.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I find it so funny how Dave & Bryan describe WWE as booking on the fly to surprise viewers, and TNA booking long term like with the Roode / Storm program.

I know that for a long time TNA was known as a company that planned months in advance, it just really hit me on this Observer episode how messed up the situation is.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Classy response by Meltzer.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

triplexpac posted:

I find it so funny how Dave & Bryan describe WWE as booking on the fly to surprise viewers, and TNA booking long term like with the Roode / Storm program.

I know that for a long time TNA was known as a company that planned months in advance, it just really hit me on this Observer episode how messed up the situation is.

TNA's idea of planning is they booked the plane tickets and venue ahead of time.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

coconono posted:

TNA's idea of planning is they booked the plane tickets and venue ahead of time.

And even then that's only for the top guys like Sting and Hogan. :v:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Colt was genuinely funny and personable on Jordan Jesse Go. It's always a little tense for me when I hear wrestling personalities in other genres, because what's charismatic to us isn't necessarily charismatic to the rest of the world, but Colt really does have pretty good comic timing, and his chemistry with the hosts was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
If TNA would ditch Bischoff and Hogan, they would be so miles ahead of WWE right now when it comes to booking.

• Locked thread