Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think I'd enjoy it more if they showed hood cameras for longer durations. The way they spastically cut between external cameras makes it impossible for me to really identify what the cars are doing or even where on the track they are.

Helicopter angles are pretty good too because you can really see the lines the cars take.

Motorcycle racing I love though. I think it's because the way the bikes lean for corners, it's more interesting to watch on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Falken posted:

I kind of prefer the shorter nature of F1, Moto GP etc but I still enjoy endurance stuff. Because it's special I suppose.

Also, loving hell I was defending Turn 10 on this racing porsches thing because until then there were no identical cars. Great, this is just what we need! Unless they meant 30 unique cars I very much doubt I'll get to drive my 944 again. :(

I really want to be excited for this Porsche pack. I think I got way to hyped up for it, and set pretty high expectations, and now i'm starting to be let down as they reveal more cars for it. I dunno, i'm sure i'm still going to buy it next week, either way.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IOwnCalculus posted:

Indeed, but it is still pretty much a wasted slot.

RAD. I wonder if they just downloaded the paint job from the storefront. Being the top 10 most downloaded paint scheme for every car in the game. What's next a Monster energy "drift" paint scheme, and an Ayrton Senna tribute Porsche.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

jonathan posted:

RAD. I wonder if they just downloaded the paint job from the storefront. Being the top 10 most downloaded paint scheme for every car in the game. What's next a Monster energy "drift" paint scheme, and an Ayrton Senna tribute Porsche.

Jagermeister and that stupid watch that's on every car (Tissot?). And maybe Anime.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ringo Star Get posted:

Is there really a point to release certain Porsche's with just a paintjob? Why not just have "model packs" from the baseline car? That'd probably be better.

Gotta put in more 911's to meet the 30 car quota without having to actually put something cool or unique in there! Just take a model and slap different schemes on it and call it a day.

928? 356? 924 Carrera GT? 917? Nah, gently caress that, have 10 different R3-class 911 race cars nobody'll ever drive!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
If the 356 isn't in I'm not buying :colbert:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

GhostDog posted:

What about the Carrera GT? I don't think anyone's mentioned that yet but it's a semi-recent car that was their flagship fast car, I don't know why it wouldn't be included. Hell, it'd beat another 911.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

I said come in! posted:

I was surprised to see the Flying Lizard cars, because i'm pretty sure they are one of the Porsche teams that never finishes races. Or hardly ever. It's hard to keep track of all of the Porsche teams in ALMS.
Here they are barely winning the ALMS championship at Laguna Seca in 2009.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyDT5Yzwds8
There's some questionable contact in there though.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

GhostDog posted:

I was thinking that about the 928, but then I remembered the free 1600 MS points Turn 10 gave me a couple of months ago. I still have them, so I will be getting the pack for free, anyway.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
I'll be very very disappointed if they don't put the Carrera GT, 944 (or 951) and the 917.

That said I'm still buying the pack. Whatever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn that Vette had loving stars under the hood for headlights, I'd shunt it into a wall too.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I think I'm starting to get an obsession with the Ford Transit. I'm trying to fit it into as many of the monthly rivals modes as I can.

Otherwise,

Also, my PMS van is apparently under review. Apparently someone got offended.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

YF19pilot posted:

I think I'm starting to get an obsession with the Ford Transit. I'm trying to fit it into as many of the monthly rivals modes as I can.

Otherwise,

Also, my PMS van is apparently under review. Apparently someone got offended.

Does it have a phone number (even a fake one) on it? That's why my tv license detector van was removed. I remade it without the phone number.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Ringo Star Get posted:

Is there really a point to release certain Porsche's with just a paintjob? Why not just have "model packs" from the baseline car? That'd probably be better.

I'd like to see them switch to this for the next game: select the base model, select spec/class (GT1, GT2/E, GT2/C, Grand Am, etc), select livery. Have a few pre-made options like they do now and a link to the storefront at the bottom. Would certainly make scrolling through the car lists easier at least.

That said I'm not surprised or upset at having both the Lizard and the Falken cars in the pack, there's already 4 or 5 identical F430s in the game, not to mention the V8s.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

GutBomb posted:

Does it have a phone number (even a fake one) on it? That's why my tv license detector van was removed. I remade it without the phone number.

That must be it, I did put the actual company's phone number on the side. Will take care of that tonight.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

That must be it, I did put the actual company's phone number on the side. Will take care of that tonight.
Post a screenshot.

Also, the AUGR GoonSpec Trans-Am Round 3 is tomorrow night. Check the AUGR thread in Private Game Servers for info.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

2012 Cayman R

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Enthusiasm.. waning.. :negative:

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Did 3 have a Cayman and I just never drove it, or is that new? I was thinking the other day that I really wanted to try that car out, and I don't remember ever using it before.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I liked the Cayman. I think I had a Planet Express Cayman in one of these games. It was a fun, tail-happy little car.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ANAmal.net posted:

Did 3 have a Cayman and I just never drove it, or is that new? I was thinking the other day that I really wanted to try that car out, and I don't remember ever using it before.

This is the 2012 model, so it's one of the new 7 cars. It's okay looking in this screenshot. I don't feel like it's yet another choice in the pack that insults t10's fanbase.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

captainOrbital posted:

I liked the Cayman. I think I had a Planet Express Cayman in one of these games. It was a fun, tail-happy little car.

I would put a Planet Express livery on anything. Now I wanna do this. If only I wasn't terrible at using that editor.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Okay, that looks cool as hell. I've got to read up on that variant.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-porsche-cayman-r-first-drive-review?redirect=no

Okay, definetely looking forward to this car.

Falken fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 15, 2012

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Ok, time for some stupid questions! It's really sad that I'm 100+ level and I still don't really understand a lot of fundamental things about driving. Besides drifting, are there any other practical uses to racing with Stability and traction contol off? Are the fastest hot laps achieved without traction control? Does that last question have no definitive answer but dependant on the car I'm driving? Surely, you'd be crazy to try and race a 700+ HP supercar around the track without TCS! Right? I think I'm just going to read the "how to drive faster" link that's in this thread.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

You really should turn them off. The only thing the assists can do is slow you down when they think the car is gonna lose it. A lot of times, you're actually doing just fine, and the car just decides you really didn't want to be that close to losing grip, so it cuts the throttle or applies brake. The tradeoff is that when you turn them off, if you do gently caress up, you tend to eat it pretty badly (which probably would have happened anyway, I don't think any assist other than ABS ever did anything to keep me on the road that I couldn't do myself).

I mean there are plenty of cars that are almost undriveable without the assists, but most things S and below should be manageable as long as they were set up right and aren't running 800hp on stock tires or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Traction control works by reducing the amount of power sent to the wheels.. you mash the pedal, the car realizes the tires are going to spin, so it dials back on the throttle to make the tires not spin. Normally this is a good thing, it keeps your car on the road. But it can slow down lap times because the TCS system can't read into the future and realize that sometimes you need the car closer to the grip limits of the tire.

STM is the opposite but can have the same effect. It applies trace amounts of braking to wheels in an effort to keep the car pointed the right way when you start to slide. This also saps away at the speed the car is moving. One, because braking slows the car down. But two, because grip used to brake cannot be used to turn or accelerate.

So it's a tradeoff.. if you need TCS and STM to keep control of the car, you'll probably be fastest with them enabled. But a driver who is adept at throttle control will find these systems interfere with his style and they can slow him down.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

1989 Porsche 944 Turbo is the 2nd reveal for today.

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...

I said come in! posted:

Hell yes!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

I said come in! posted:

Pack redeemed.

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy
current GoonSpec standings going into tomorrow's doubleheader:

code:

Name    	Points	Penalty
TheCowboyJoe	236	25
Boaz McPherson	221	20
whatcubed3	170	15
Krautastic	135	15
sapopeonarope	115	
Force 7 	111	25
logue 1 	91	20
aardmania	81	
speedt3k	78	
xander i crews	71	
Oofresh 	59	20
vertigo 360	53	
kilonum 	39	
Atticus Eisherr	38	15
deathgibs	34	
Fuzzie Murloc	31	5
Cubivore	28	5
ropeyrope	25	
crow t macbot	21	
gathering quill	17	
Bag Squad	16	
dukket  	15	
racerx7707	14	5
van330ci	13	
matybara	11	
sac4eva 	10	
jcole   	10	
Gutbomb420	6	
Kaddion 	5	
Joey Aces	5	
travh88 	5	

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

I said come in! posted:

yep, pack redeemed. :-)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I am so swapping the flat-six GT3 4.0 engine into that just to piss off the 911 haters.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

xzzy posted:

Traction control works by reducing the amount of power sent to the wheels.. you mash the pedal, the car realizes the tires are going to spin, so it dials back on the throttle to make the tires not spin. Normally this is a good thing, it keeps your car on the road. But it can slow down lap times because the TCS system can't read into the future and realize that sometimes you need the car closer to the grip limits of the tire.

STM is the opposite but can have the same effect. It applies trace amounts of braking to wheels in an effort to keep the car pointed the right way when you start to slide. This also saps away at the speed the car is moving. One, because braking slows the car down. But two, because grip used to brake cannot be used to turn or accelerate.

So it's a tradeoff.. if you need TCS and STM to keep control of the car, you'll probably be fastest with them enabled. But a driver who is adept at throttle control will find these systems interfere with his style and they can slow him down.
ABS works similarly, and for my driving style, slowed me down more than TCS or STM. When you drive, if you are using ABS, you probably pull the brake trigger all the way in whenever you need to stop. This applies the ABS and slows you down. However, the trigger is analog and if you barely pull it, it slows you down a little bit, and if you pull it all the way, it slows you down a lot.

The kicker is, when you turn ABS off and learn how to apply the trigger pull as needed, you can slow down a bit quicker without making the tires squeal at all. If you hear tires squealing when you are braking, you are losing grip and sliding, which is not an efficient way to stop the car. It only took me about a night's worth of racing to adapt to turning ABS off and my lap times got a second or two quicker.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

silverbullitt850 posted:

current GoonSpec standings going into tomorrow's doubleheader:
What is the TransAm spec again? Are there freebie tunes on the storefront for it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ABS is easily the worst detriment to speed of all of the assists, followed by automatic and/or manual without clutch. There are still some very fast times set by people using STM or TCS, but not many.

Once you get used to ABS-free braking, you'll be blowing past your old braking markers and diving into corners nice and hard. Likewise, manual with clutch (especially if you just map it to one of the face buttons so you mash both buttons at once with your thumb) is stupidly faster in a straight line (annoyingly, this also works in cars that never have a clutch in real life).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty much. Every assist, described most simply, is the car doing the exact opposite of what you're telling it to do in an attempt to keep the vehicle under control.

This is why you can be faster with assists disabled, because you can consistently drive right on the edge of the vehicle's limits. But without a safety net the cost of a mistake is much greater.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Probably the best way to learn, or at least it worked for me (caveat: I'm one of the worst drivers in my club), is to turn off everything except rewind, so that if you do eat it (and you will, especially at first), you can go back and try again immediately without loving your race up.

Obviously that doesn't work online, but in my opinion you shouldn't be racing online until you've gotten to a less-crashy place. Please don't learn driving by playing bumper cars with actual people.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Learning to drive in multiplayer is fine, just don't be an idiot about it. I mean, I assume most of us have been driving in the real world for several years now, and everything you know about sharing a public road applies in a race.

Worst case, just pull over to the shoulder when the race starts, let everyone pass, and then have fun driving at the back of the pack. Odds are good you'll get into a battle with someone who wipes out, which helps teach you how to behave in close quarters.

Training against AI drivers doesn't work in my experience, because they react completely differently than a human driver. They have superhuman abilities at recovering from contact to the point it's like hitting a wall. Human players will slide all the gently caress over the place and curse at you the entire time.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I just mean like the first time you stomp non-ABS brakes and lock the wheels up, it's better if you take out an entire field of AI drivers and rewind, then be a dick and do it to real people.

Sure, you're not gonna learn how to race if you're playing against the computer, but you can at least learn how to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

Training against AI drivers doesn't work in my experience, because they react completely differently than a human driver. They have superhuman abilities at recovering from contact to the point it's like hitting a wall. Human players will slide all the gently caress over the place and curse at you the entire time.

That and I don't know about you but I drive completely differently around AI versus humans. When racing AI while I don't try to drive dirty I also give absolutely no fucks about the rest of the pack. When racing real people I go right to the other side of the spectrum and have a lot of trouble passing because I get too cautious when I'm right behind them and never can convince myself to make the move.

That said, for the goal of learning to handle the car without assists AI races or Rivals events work fine. Even with unrealistic opponents you'll end up experiencing most of the same situations over a few dozen laps.

• Locked thread