Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008

pbpancho posted:

Why not a RAZR/RAZR MAXX? Better screen than Droid 4 and better reception (and battery life for MAXX at least) than Nexus. I've got a Droid 4 and a RAZR and I'll pick the RAZR any day of the week.

The Maxx is still pretty high priced, considering they're probably going to drop the fighter/HD in a couple of months. I liked having the keyboard on my Droid, so I was more interested in the D4, considering the specs are essentially the same between all 3 phones. How are you with the battery life on the Razr?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Blinky13 posted:

currently trying out a Nexus s with Credo (Sprint), still in the cancellation window.

I like my Galaxy Nexus and have had no issues with it, but I'm not posting here to white knight for it. I am going to tell you, however, that all other things being equal, you should take that Nexus S back.

If you don't cancel you'll be locked into a 2 year contract on an outdated device that runs on an outdated/dead-end WiMax network.

Nexus S is great if you buy it used out of contract, but don't commit to a a 2 year contract for a product that's already nearly 18 months old.

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

I like my Galaxy Nexus and have had no issues with it, but I'm not posting here to white knight for it. I am going to tell you, however, that all other things being equal, you should take that Nexus S back.

If you don't cancel you'll be locked into a 2 year contract on an outdated device that runs on an outdated/dead-end WiMax network.

Nexus S is great if you buy it used out of contract, but don't commit to a a 2 year contract for a product that's already nearly 18 months old.

Most of this is partly why I'm still looking to stay on Verizon! Though it will get updates for another 6 months, and it sounds like Sprint won't have LTE fully implemented for a couple of years, though I live in an area that got it first, so I guess that doesn't matter too much. Also, phone is free, and really, really nice for a free phone, but yeah, obviously thinking very hard about whether it's worth keeping.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Blinky13 posted:

The Maxx is still pretty high priced, considering they're probably going to drop the fighter/HD in a couple of months. I liked having the keyboard on my Droid, so I was more interested in the D4, considering the specs are essentially the same between all 3 phones. How are you with the battery life on the Razr?

The RAZR lasts me all day with my relatively heavy usage, but I plug it in when I'm in the car and sometimes when I'm at my desk. From what I've seen it's got at least as good battery life as the Nexus, if not better.

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008

pbpancho posted:

The RAZR lasts me all day with my relatively heavy usage, but I plug it in when I'm in the car and sometimes when I'm at my desk. From what I've seen it's got at least as good battery life as the Nexus, if not better.

Ok, that's good to know - there were some complaints when it came out, but that actually doesn't sound that bad. Now everybody is complaining about battery time on all 4G phones anyway. I've been advised to go look at screens in the other thread, since apparently the Droid 4 is super ugly Pentile. I'll go look at everything, but I'm leaning back towards Motorola. All this talk reminded me of why I was such a loyalist to begin with.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
I can notice the Pentile stuff if I specifically look for it but it doesn't bother me at all in actual usage. The RAZR has a larger screen though, and the AMOLED is way brighter and prettier than the Droid 4's LCD.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
I'm getting ridiculous battery life out of my nexus since I slapped this rom on it and shoved the samsung extended battery in the thing. My battery meter is estimating around 64 hours of battery life left. In practice I'm getting more than a day out of it with relatively light usage.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Goon Matchmaker posted:

My battery meter is estimating around 64 hours of battery life left. In practice I'm getting more than a day out of it with relatively light usage.
That battery meter doesn't sound very useful.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Goon Matchmaker posted:

I'm getting ridiculous battery life out of my nexus since I slapped this rom on it and shoved the samsung extended battery in the thing. My battery meter is estimating around 64 hours of battery life left. In practice I'm getting more than a day out of it with relatively light usage.

Having your phone work for a day with light usage isn't ridiculous battery life.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah mine lasts that long with light usage on a stock battery with 4G off (as there is no lte here.)

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Mine lasts about 30 hours if I don't use it at all and leave it on wifi. I knew to expect modest battery life out of a smartphone, but it doesn't take a lot of trying to run my battery down by around 1% per minute.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Maxx had a $100 price drop on the site today, so its the same price as the normal razr right now :confused:

They are paying us agents a lot of extra money on the Nexus right now, so thats sometimes a sign of an impending BOGO or other big offer on it, its not selling well at all, so it could be a ploy for us to push them out too, but those looking for a new phone should keep an eye on the verizon site over the next couple of days.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

They should try pushing out updates and such. It would probably sell well if it actually worked consistently.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I am moving and want to upgrade to a smartphone before I leave town. I went into the Verizon store to see if I could get an upgrade. I was told I could and was about to purchase my phone when I was then told that I was only eligible for an early upgrade on 2 LG models. Otherwise I would have to wait until September. The customer service rep at the store told me to call into Verizon and a customer service rep at would be able to help me out. I then called into Verizon and was told there was nothing I could do to get an early upgrade. I then asked what my contract termination rate would be and was told $100, I then explained to the rep that it would be cheaper for me to break my contract pay the fee and sign up with AT&T and that I was otherwise happy with my Verizon service but that I need to upgrade my phone. I was told once again nothing could be done and I should port my number to AT&T. Is there anything I can do to stick with Verizon? I would be paying more as I would get a data package and the $30 upgrade fee, I don't understand why I can't get any early upgrade.

I appreciate any help you can give.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

c0ldfuse posted:

I broke my free phone on Sprint. no insurance. New phone (same one): $500. Cancellation: $150.

Now I'm on Verizon.

There's likely nothing they will do.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

c0ldfuse posted:

I am moving and want to upgrade to a smartphone before I leave town. I went into the Verizon store to see if I could get an upgrade. I was told I could and was about to purchase my phone when I was then told that I was only eligible for an early upgrade on 2 LG models. Otherwise I would have to wait until September. The customer service rep at the store told me to call into Verizon and a customer service rep at would be able to help me out. I then called into Verizon and was told there was nothing I could do to get an early upgrade. I then asked what my contract termination rate would be and was told $100, I then explained to the rep that it would be cheaper for me to break my contract pay the fee and sign up with AT&T and that I was otherwise happy with my Verizon service but that I need to upgrade my phone. I was told once again nothing could be done and I should port my number to AT&T. Is there anything I can do to stick with Verizon? I would be paying more as I would get a data package and the $30 upgrade fee, I don't understand why I can't get any early upgrade.

Take the early upgrade offer to an LG Lucid. Wait 3 days, return it because its crap, and get the smartphone you want +$35 restocking fee.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
I currently have a Thunderbolt and I've finally tortured myself enough with the damned thing. I've put various ROMs, gone back to stock, then various ROM's again.

I'm not eligible for an upgrade until January. Are there any new phones coming out in the next month or two, or should I just go ahead and pick up something like the RAZR.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

Take the early upgrade offer to an LG Lucid. Wait 3 days, return it because its crap, and get the smartphone you want +$35 restocking fee.

So when I return the LG Lucid I get the discounted price for any phone?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, no one is going to check that your upgrade had conditions to it that it had to be XXX smartphone when you go back to exchange it.

If you get any pushback when you want to exchange it, then pull out the cancel card. You can return the device and your contract will revert to where it used to be.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

Yeah, no one is going to check that your upgrade had conditions to it that it had to be XXX smartphone when you go back to exchange it.

If you get any pushback when you want to exchange it, then pull out the cancel card. You can return the device and your contract will revert to where it used to be.

How long does that period last with the renewal+new device?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Been sitting on my upgrade but I've had it with this iPhone. Galaxy Nexus or Razr MAXX? I'd love to wait for the fighter/hd but I dont see that happening. I dont have a problem rooting for better radios on the Nexus but the battery life on the MAXX is very tempting

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Henchman 21 posted:

Been sitting on my upgrade but I've had it with this iPhone. Galaxy Nexus or Razr MAXX? I'd love to wait for the fighter/hd but I dont see that happening. I dont have a problem rooting for better radios on the Nexus but the battery life on the MAXX is very tempting

I'd say try the MAXX first. If you don't like it just return it within 14 days and get the Nexus. A 35 dollar restocking fee is not really a big deal for something you want to be happy with for 2 years.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

c0ldfuse posted:

How long does that period last with the renewal+new device?

You have 14 days to return it and back out of any new contract.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Whelp, thanks for the ride, Verizon, but it looks like I'll be taking my 5 lines to Straight Talk in November:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/16/verizon-cfo-says-grandfathered-unlimited-plans-on-the-way-out/

Statement also includes language that even unlimited LTE plans will be disappeared Hoffa-style (migrated to shared data) with an upgrade cycle.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

Whelp, thanks for the ride, Verizon, but it looks like I'll be taking my 5 lines to Straight Talk in November:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/16/verizon-cfo-says-grandfathered-unlimited-plans-on-the-way-out/

Statement also includes language that even unlimited LTE plans will be disappeared Hoffa-style (migrated to shared data) with an upgrade cycle.

Was just about to post this - let the bitching begin.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

Last July they amended the customer agreement to contain the following, which presumably would have opened the door to this.

Verizon's Customer Agreement posted:

If you change your device or receive a Service promotion, you may be required to change your Plan to one that we are currently offering at that time.

I'm 28 out of 30 days into my bill cycle and I've used 4.8GB. I'm curious what I'd burn in a month if I didn't stream any music; maybe I should try that.

edit: I honestly figured this would probably happen as soon as an LTE iPhone came across and people started getting onto the LTE network en masse, but I held out hope they would keep people who are already holding LTE devices grandfathered.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 16, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm not going to bitch. I'm simply going to say that grandfathered unlimited is my only anchor to Verizon. If that is taken away with the next upgrade, all other carriers end up being on equal footing for my business. Since you can't seem to actually get good phones on Verizon, there won't be much reason for me to stay.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Never going to give up my $10/m unlimited smartphone data promo

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Don Lapre posted:

Never going to give up my $10/m unlimited smartphone data promo

A friend of mine is on that promo. Does this migration or end of grandfathered unlimited data somehow not apply to you or him?

Edit: Also, do you think there's a way to get around an ETF because of this? Verizon's service is great, but this is probably my biggest if not only anchor to Verizon as well.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 16, 2012

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

Was just about to post this - let the bitching begin.

Yeah. I, like the Engadget article hope that this was just someone speaking out of turn, but it's quite unlikely.

Conversation with my wife about this (I had earlier been looking at the Straight Talk thing already, then this article came about):

Her: I'll just have to start using more WiFi...
Me: Or, we can vote with our (my) wallet and not accept less service for the same money.

This would be seriously harsh for her line, particularly, since she tends to burn 5-6GB/month easily, while I tend to stick around the 2-4GB/month arena.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Do people just not use wifi at all? I'm on wifi all day at work, and again at home. And this is with my Galaxy Nexus, and all of 4G battery-eating power.

I just try to use wifi as much as possible, and even though I'm on unlimited, I still have just used ~48MB so far this billing cycle (6 days deep).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

yamdankee posted:

Edit: Also, do you think there's a way to get around an ETF because of this? Verizon's service is great, but this is probably my biggest if not only anchor to Verizon as well.
The contract already says if you upgrade they reserve the right to change your plan. The "get out of your ETF free" ship sailed a year ago when they amended the contract to put that there.

They're not changing your plan in the meantime, and nobody is forcing you to upgrade and sign a new contract. You are free to keep the device and grandfathered plan you have and never change it.

For people on LTE already, I wonder if putting your SIM in a device you bought secondhand or at full retail would be treated the same as "upgrading." It seems like that might be a decent loophole.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

Do people just not use wifi at all? I'm on wifi all day at work, and again at home. And this is with my Galaxy Nexus, and all of 4G battery-eating power.

I just try to use wifi as much as possible, and even though I'm on unlimited, I still have just used ~48MB so far this billing cycle (6 days deep).

I use WiFi all the time, but I don't worry about remembering to switch it because I have unlimited data (for now).

Even so, we're not always around WiFi (traveling, power outages, etc), and not having an unlimited plan anymore means inconvenience at minimum, and a constant danger of higher costs.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

For people on LTE already, I wonder if putting your SIM in a device you bought secondhand or at full retail would be treated the same as "upgrading." It seems like that might be a decent loophole.

Not using your subsidy is just another way to increase your costs. Verizon doesn't offer a non-subsidy discounted plan, so the 'buying-at-retail' point doesn't really apply.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

I still see people on 10.99 Corporate conesssion lines from 1989.

If I could just kick in a big IMHO a translation from corpo-speak for a minute.

"We will do everything in our power to upgrade people to the new shared data plans"

They aren't going to force people off unlmited, unless you want one of the new plans, which may actually be better for a lot of us. Besides, nothing is stopping you from moving your 4G from phone to phone for eternity.

He *might* have meant they wont allow unlmited 3g to 4g upgrades anymore.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

yamdankee posted:

A friend of mine is on that promo. Does this migration or end of grandfathered unlimited data somehow not apply to you or him?

The article doesn't actually say they are going to remove unlimited from people for no reason. Its if you buy a new device from verizon. So they are going to make you change when you buy your new contract phone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

Not using your subsidy is just another way to increase your costs. Verizon doesn't offer a non-subsidy discounted plan, so the 'buying-at-retail' point doesn't really apply.

Well, if your data volume is such that you'd pay more than you'd save by being on a subsidy, it still comes out in your favor. $350/12=~30 bucks. So if you'd pay >$30/month under the new plan, buy your phone outright.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
This should absolutely be fun.

Other sites are getting in on the coverage (CNET) too. However, if no carriers provide unlimited then we are totally going to head back into phone regulation issues again, won't we? Not really a verizon specific issue but back to the old att problems again.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Well that certainly reinforces my need to get my phone upgraded asap. Think I'm going to have it shipped to a friend in California who can activate and then ship it up to Alaska.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Don Lapre posted:

The article doesn't actually say they are going to remove unlimited from people for no reason. Its if you buy a new device from verizon. So they are going to make you change when you buy your new contract phone.

So if I never sign a new contract I will keep unlimited data? Sorry for the dumb question. I just want to make sure I understand it right, and I'm not that smart :v:

• Locked thread