Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
Looking for a Daily Driver language. Any recs. Basically I want something that does stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

ppp posted:

Looking for a Daily Driver language. Any recs. Basically I want something that does stuff.

english mohterfucker do you speak it

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
also i am told - i don't know cos i haven't tried it - that processing is a good language for learn2code: http://processing.org/ looks a bit gay? dunno?

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Dr. Honked posted:

also i am told - i don't know cos i haven't tried it - that processing is a good language for learn2code: http://processing.org/ looks a bit gay? dunno?

i wouldnt.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dr. Honked posted:

nothing wrong with python, enjoy your journey into code

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
if you want to learn to code just fire up google and im feeling lucky "learn to code lifehacker"

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

ppp posted:

i have been a c++ programmer for many many years and i do not recommend it. when i have a choice, my daily drivers are:

c#
ruby
python

python is easy. c# is best. i use ruby when i don't need to write an app that has a gui, like making command line tools for converting excel spreadsheets into nintendo ds friendly binary files.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
when the c++11 book i have in my amazon wish list is out ill read that

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot
Ruby ok Cya

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
there has been a disturbance in the spergosphere lately because micro$$hatf refuse to support c99 in visual studio

if you really want c99 why don't you just grow a beard and get a linux

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Dr. Honked posted:

there has been a disturbance in the spergosphere lately because micro$$hatf refuse to support c99 in visual studio

just use a real compiler

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
just a reminder that deep c secrets is one of the most enlightening books about programming you'll ever read and you only need to be passingly familiar with k&r and unix programming to enjoy it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ppp posted:

just use a real compiler

unironically this

microsoft writing bad software that doesn't keep up to standards shouldn't be a surprise to anyone

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

heh seriously though learn some python

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
python is a good language to learn if your goal is to learn python (though i wouldnt recommend it)

if you want a language that you can actually make stuff in, java is the way to go. but be warned. theres probably already a library that does 90% of what you want to do and adding it to your maven project takes like 5 seconds. this means you wouldnt get to experience the pain of other-languages

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

BonzoESC posted:

unironically this

microsoft writing bad software that doesn't keep up to standards shouldn't be a surprise to anyone

Ignore standards, gently caress bitches, get money - bill gates

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Internaut! posted:

just a reminder that deep c secrets is one of the most enlightening books about programming you'll ever read and you only need to be passingly familiar with k&r and unix programming to enjoy it

best book cover

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

rotor posted:

the terrible thing about web 'development' isn't javascript its browsers

Nah its a bit of javascript too

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Dr. Honked posted:

It is a little frustrating that VS doesn't support C99 but they say their customers aren't demanding it and in all honesty who can argue with that logic? As Raymond Chen says all features start out with -100 points and why waste time implementing something your customers don't want?

Anyone seriously doing a lot of C coding these says is probably not using VS anyway.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

BonzoESC posted:

unironically this

someone who wants to write a windows app in c just likes pain i guess, they're def not doing it to make money

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

yeah ms hasnt bothered with standards before, why start now

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

yeah ms hasnt bothered with standards before, why start now
lol @ "standards" as some kind of mystical obligation

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011
c99 actually has a bunch of cool features, my fav is designated initializers
code:
struct Point {
    int x;
    int y;
};

int main() {
    Point p = {.x=7, .y=4};
}

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pollyanna posted:

python it is hope you are proud of yourselves

no, wait, stop

don't

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Gazpacho posted:

someone who wants to write a windows app in c just likes pain i guess, they're def not doing it to make money

Fun fact COM is implemented in and was designed to be usable from C and if you never write a COM server at least once in pure C you're officially a dumb gay baby.

Also on the book topic, "The Practice of Programming" by Kernighan and Pike is a great one.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

Fun fact COM is implemented in and was designed to be usable from C and if you never write a COM server at least once in pure C you're officially a dumb gay baby.

im a dumb gay baby

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

im a dumb gay babby

Fixed that for you; edit italicized.

trying a new infuriating technique

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

ftfy;ei

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

It is a little frustrating that VS doesn't support C99 but they say their customers aren't demanding it and in all honesty who can argue with that logic? As Raymond Chen says all features start out with -100 points and why waste time implementing something your customers don't want?

Anyone seriously doing a lot of C coding these says is probably not using VS anyway.

who the loving gently caress seriously gives a single actual real gently caress about c99

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

nice

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Panic! At The cisco posted:

pynchon

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Tiny Bug Child posted:

tbc what do you think of php's use as a general scripting language? like for non-web stuff?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i lost any respect for c99 when i saw that complex numbers were a required header, look at all the stuff that has been added to the jdk over the years, they've never seen fit to include a complex number class

i don't have proof but pretty sure that was done at the direct request of rms

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Dr. Honked posted:

who the loving gently caress seriously gives a single actual real gently caress about c99
duck you, c99 ducking owns

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its so you can use the imaginary registers

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

its so you can use the imaginary registers

its what they use for branch prediction

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i just call the bank and ask them their address

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

i thought the imaginary registers are where they do the oracular cache policy :confused:

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
computer programming owns. i'm not sure how i would survive if i couldn't do it. chew twigs or something? i'll program anything in any language idgaf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

i thought the imaginary registers are where they do the oracular cache policy :confused:

idk I only know what jawn teaches me, he's super smart about cpus and stuff