Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

^^^ Agreed.

Just the other day I was playing as the lone Roboticist, when maybe fifteen minutes into the game another guy shows up and starts building borgs. I just sat in the computer chair and let him do his thing, as I was just worrying about research and waiting for some materials to come my way from QM at this point. Then he started loving around with Igniters, etc. and when I took a closer look he said he was just doing some tinkering. Being not 100% familiar with the game, I left him to it and eventually he just abandoned Robotics, leaving his two empty borgs there.

Soon after, I got a couple of volunteers for borging, convenient as I had two suits ready to go. I set up the first one and he took off, never to be seen again. I put the second guy's brain in and immediately the new cyborg said "I'VE BEEN KILLSWITCHED!" before blowing up and sending debris all over the lab.

The other guy had put bombs in the suits and waited till I had installed the brains to detonate them (or he timed it, idk). These are the things that keep me coming back to SS13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I remember a story from early in the thread (page 80ish) where a guy killed a pubbie, then said "You work for me now, kill who I tell you to" and eventually he was like a Mafia boss, ruling over a grinding zone with an iron fist. Unfortunately, I don't remember who posted it or what game it was from. Can someone help me find it?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Last step was to go to the escape arm and mess up all the wires in one of the doors. This made it impossible to open until it was fixes and gave anyone who touched it a nice electric shock. Then I got behind the other door and blocked it behind me with my copied grinder. I had to wait a little while, but eventually the station fell apart enough that the shuttle was called and people started heading there to get ready to escape. Anyone that touched the door was knocked out by the electric shocks and it was impossible for anyone to look at a stunned person 2 spaces from the grinder and NOT shove him into it. As more people showed up the whole hallway turned into a bloodbath. No one that had both the tools and knowledge to fix the door could survive long enough to do it. Eventually all my targets died and the shuttle left with me as the sole passenger.

I wondered why there were grinders in the escape wing that one time. Now I know.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

What prevents me personally from enjoying SS13 isn't the archaic and unintuitive interface, the bad engine, or the awful lag. It's that every single person who plays it wants to be "that guy". You have a round of a dozen or more people and every single one wants to be the one to be able to run back to a thread like this and tell everyone all the zany, disruptive poo poo he did. So more often than not people you run into will try to bludgeon you and seal you into a locker to be funny. It's not that they're the traitor, or anything like that. I'm not saying only the traitor should be allowed to do silly stuff, or that griefing ruins the game, it's just that most griefing stories require some kind of straight man, someone playing the game legitimately. The station can hardly descend into chaos when it's never known order to begin with.

If you expect to play Serious Space Chef Simulator free from 'zany, disruptive poo poo' so you can take pride in having a meticulously cleaned virtual kitchen or whatever you should probably re-examine what you do with your free time.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

i poo poo trains posted:

If you expect to play Serious Space Chef Simulator free from 'zany, disruptive poo poo' so you can take pride in having a meticulously cleaned virtual kitchen or whatever you should probably re-examine what you do with your free time.
I think you missed my point.

Zany poo poo happening in SS13 is fine. But when it's cranked to 100% by all players at all times it just becomes noise.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It's true that it breaks down when every single person is trying to be the funny guy. I always thought it would be cool if the station was such a piece of poo poo that you really needed some people doing each job just to keep it running. The last time I played you just had to get the engine going and everything else was fine unless someone actually went and broke it. So no one bothers with their jobs because they really aren't necessary.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I do recall playing SS13 in the early early days where I managed to royally piss off straight laced players by repeatedly falling asleep during my trial for clobbering someone with a medkit when trying to heal them.

Back then my cries of "Any goons from SA...Help me get out of here!" was met with "WTF is a goon?" followed by carnage as several attempted to break me out of the holding cell.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Zemyla posted:

I remember a story from early in the thread (page 80ish) where a guy killed a pubbie, then said "You work for me now, kill who I tell you to" and eventually he was like a Mafia boss, ruling over a grinding zone with an iron fist. Unfortunately, I don't remember who posted it or what game it was from. Can someone help me find it?

Found it.

I Love You! posted:

Going to have to post the story of Da Troll Maf'ya from EQ on Rallos Zek, the PvP server.

So in Everquest, there are two races of good Elves, both of which start in the same newbie area. Since the majority of newbies, girls, and 12-year-olds choose some sort of Elf, the area surrounding these towns is a hotbed of terrible and failed dreams.

The first newbie dungeon off this zone is called Clan Crushbone. This orc-filled keep is where all the little elves go to die in droves, earn their wings, get attacked by Dark Elf PCs who don't get attacked by the orcs, and generally learn the comradery that will result in them growing up to be goodly anti-pks in raiding guilds with spotless records and no PvP skills whatsoever.

When the Beastlord class was introduced with a specific expansion, my friend and I discovered that a 2 naked level 14 Troll beastlords could kill almost any number of poorly-geared opponents. The level 14 pet was essentially broken and could destroy anyone without amazing resists completely unaided; having two of such pets meant that the individuals would not make it to a zone line.

This, combined with us being naked and thus able to bind rush at whatever rate we liked, meant that Clan Crushbone was soon completely sealed off to the newbie Elves, with anyone entering losing what little gear they had acquired. This wasn't that uncommon, since whenever a notable PK rolled through the place would be cleared out. We had a few things going for us, however, that made our position unique:

1. We had nothing to lose but were extremely dangerous. This made even other PKs have to worry about us, as they might lose gear if we landed a lucky round or two.

2. We were there ALL THE TIME. Nothing to do after classes today? Log in, idle in Crushbone. We didn't go anywhere else with the characters because we weren't looking for gear.

3. We started taking loyalty oaths. This was our crowing achievement, really. Eventually after killing the same Elf Ranger about 10 times, he started the standard begging/threatening/whining process to get his corpse back and be allowed to level in the zone. Feeling magnamonious, I offered to let him do so, on one condition: he be at our beck and call in the future. If he swore allegiance to his troll masters, he would be expected to attack ANYONE we mentioned in OOC chat without questioning the orders... but he would otherwise be protected. Anyone attacking him would be hunted down and killed.

He quickly accepted the offer.

A few minutes later, as he was looting the corpse, a female Wood Elf Druid ran by. I shouted out her name, not really expecting much, and threw my pet at her.

The Ranger stopped looting, snared her, and threw himself against her. She died to my pet within moments.

A few minutes later I recieved a tell from the druid, begging to be allowed to XP in the zone. I offered her the same deal as the Ranger: swear loyalty, kill her brethren, and have protection. She accepted, grouped with the Ranger, and they ran off to happily level.

Over the course of the next month or so, Da Troll Maf'ya wrested control of Clan Crushbone and held it with an iron fist. Anyone not sworn in was assaulted the moment they entered by anyone present, with huge blobs of newbies slaughtering new arrivals before the zone had finished loading. Anyone could call out a target and everyone was required to contribute to the slaughter. There were only two acceptable factions: Member, or Enemy.

A hilarious side result of Da Troll Maf'ya was that it made the zone incredibly safe from PKs. For the first time a large group of newbies was coralled under a clear directive that emphasized awareness, group tactics, and aggressive PvP. While a well-geared PK was completely unstoppable by even an entire zone of unorganized, naked newbies, 5 Elves and 2 Trolls simultaneously beating on a single character was enough to threaten even the very best. Da Troll Maf'ya was eventually hailed by its members for being the key to their safety and success - and anything they looted while protecting the zone was theirs to keep, so even the greedy closet PKs were happy. The newbies even learned bits and pieces about how to properly PvP, and certainly learned to be more aware and active in defense of their persons. Everone won in the end! ...well, everyone who had sworn loyalty won. Those who didn't were corpse camped by an entire zone.

Long story short: Took over a newbie zone, forced loyalty oaths, forced newbies to kill each other, eventually hailed as protectors and saviours for our racket.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Rallos Zek was pretty brutal. There was a time period where it was possible to catch level 1s that had just logged in for the first time, kill them, and loot their two newbie spells.

This made people super pissed since it was easier to make a new character than it was to recover from that setback.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Sure it made people mad, but where's the sport in that? It's like griefing a game of chess by knocking all the pieces over.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SS13 originally was, while still insane, much less so. Back when I played engineers had to turn the engines on or there would be no power to the station. The solar arrays had to be tuned. You could mess with the prototype engine and atmospherics. There wasn't any gimmick classes like clowns (except maybe the priest), so the insanity came from the station slowly falling apart to bombs, insane AIs, and the darkness that lurks in the hearts of all men. My favorite thing to do was to play as the AI just so I could watch everything unfold (especially when a traitor AI, so I could vent people into space). And God help you if the engine sprung a leak, because then the entire station would burn.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That mafia story will never stop being the most wonderful thing.

Kelson
Jan 23, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

SS13 originally was, while still insane, much less so. Back when I played engineers had to turn the engines on or there would be no power to the station. :words: And God help you if the engine sprung a leak, because then the entire station would burn.

I loved that engine. Even though it was only successfully lit half the time, turning into a ship-boiling plasma jet the other half, it provided a necessary job to be performed each round. Also a great cemetery.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
The weird part about the old fire engine was that it didn't even have to be lit, the batteries had enough power in them to last the station 45 minutes or so.

To load the engine you put tanks on this launcher that shot them into the engine, the best part about it was waiting till your fellow engineers were standing on the launcher and just shooting them into the engine instead. They could easily walk out but some people would freak out if you kept doing it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I kind of miss the old engine, but at the same time there's so many ways the new one can go entertainingly wrong. Engineering burning down is fun and all, but I like the possibility of a rogue black hole cutting the station in half and requiring the survivors to set up elaborate schemes to get everyone across to the north half and into the remains of the escape arm so that they can make it onto the shuttle be killed more efficiently by the traitors just before the shuttle arrives.

We had people closing themselves into lockers so that they could be safely towed through vacuum by one of the few people who had pressure suits and backpacks. And by "safely towed through vacuum" I meant "bowled into the loose black hole" since everyone who had a jetpack was also a traitor.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Honestly, coming up with creative and helpful solutions for catastrophes sounds just as fun as loving around does and is probably more rewarding.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
The old engine also had a monkey in it. One time me and an admin decided to rescue that monkey, it was pretty awesome.

Also with how the engine worked, it was possible to block off all of the "ingredients" or whatever. Someone a long time ago had a screenshot where they did that with glass walls around all of the tanks in the engine, so basically the engine would putter out after a little bit since it didn't have any fuel.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

MissileWaster posted:

The old engine also had a monkey in it. One time me and an admin decided to rescue that monkey, it was pretty awesome.

Also with how the engine worked, it was possible to block off all of the "ingredients" or whatever. Someone a long time ago had a screenshot where they did that with glass walls around all of the tanks in the engine, so basically the engine would putter out after a little bit since it didn't have any fuel.

Haha I used to do that. Raw glass used to spawn in engineering, so I Would take it and build windows around the tanks, and quickly screw driver them in place. It was a hilarious grief because no one even notices it until the station blacks out 30 minutes later.

edit: The monkey was Mr. Rathens, named after one of the admins. Mrs. Rathens spawned in the genetics monkey pen.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Thompsons posted:

Honestly, coming up with creative and helpful solutions for catastrophes sounds just as fun as loving around does and is probably more rewarding.

I've got to agree with this. It's always really cool when someone is benevolent with their mad genius. Similar to the locker idea: We once had a group that for some reason had no internals. We made it through an exposed hallway by opening some of those giant air tanks and just dragging them along to provide enough air.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON
I kinda enjoy being the guy who does his job, simply because there's so much opportunity for causing rage even in that. My personal favorite for that is Janitor. It doesn't matter if you put up wet floor signs or not. There is no walking. You can still be standing there with a sign and your bucket and still be mopping and people will slip on it and start flinging expletives at you. Of course, the places most requiring mopping are the ones with the most traffic. Cafe is the place that ends up the dirtiest, but there's always something going on in the customs area where everyone is arriving and departing the station, plus any number of incidents in the main hallways.

The one I enjoyed the most was after a bomb went off in departures (as is so often the case) just before the shuttle arrived. I stood there in a space suit pretending to be shell-shocked due to the horrific violence I had witnessed, mopping up the gibs splattered across what remained of the floor and giggling like mad as the last-minute escapees slipped into space. Oh the names I was called. :allears:
Although that was the cleanest I had ever seen that station.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I used to do engineering on SS13, during a time when the engines went through several design changes. I haven't been back since the advent of the singularity engine, but eventually just learning the job well enough proved rewarding; you take maybe three minutes at the start of the round to supercharge the atomic plasmaball powering the station, and spend the rest of your time figuring out how to selectively vent radioactive flame into specific hallways or rewiring the station to throw off uncreative griefers or bottling exotic plasma narcotics or building secret hallways to your side projects. It's true that most rounds descended into absolute poo poo-raving chaos, but it can be fun to be a beacon of sanity and make fun of 'LOL SO RANDOM' gently caress #341 who decides to cut station power for the hell of it and can't figure out that you've got three redundant power lines to the station. Once you have it down, you can often do constructive things even faster than most people can figure out how to gently caress them up, and thus grief the awful griefers. Also of note: the engines were, with a little tweaking, by far the best place to make and bottle super-heated plasma, which was the primary component of bombs. The hotter the plasma was, the more powerful the bomb. Those particular experiments had to stop, though, once we figured out the formula for making a bomb in five minutes powerful enough to crash the server.

Of course, then, after all your hard work, a deputized robot stun-batons you so the mutated apocalypse-cult priest can load you into a mass driver for a suicide mission against the AI, and that's that.

Also, I played the Cyborg before it was a job, and on at least one occasion became the murderous arm of the all-seeing traitor AI. :colbert: I am a horrible nerd

Almanac
Mar 16, 2008

OLD SCHOOL

Bo Steed posted:

I kinda enjoy being the guy who does his job, simply because there's so much opportunity for causing rage even in that. My personal favorite for that is Janitor. It doesn't matter if you put up wet floor signs or not. There is no walking. You can still be standing there with a sign and your bucket and still be mopping and people will slip on it and start flinging expletives at you. Of course, the places most requiring mopping are the ones with the most traffic. Cafe is the place that ends up the dirtiest, but there's always something going on in the customs area where everyone is arriving and departing the station, plus any number of incidents in the main hallways.

As a note to the new players, the few seconds it takes to get up from a slip is a fairly new phenomenon. It used to be that any slip that put you on the ground took at least thirty seconds to get up from. This made water on the floor one of the best weapons in the game. If you have a syndicate death squad running around the hallways, a lone janitor hero with two spray bottles could wet the floors and have them all lying on their asses for half a minute. This is more than long enough for the assistant horde to strip you/beat you/poo poo on you/throw you into space/all of the above.

Actually, ANYTHING that made the floor wet was one of the best weapons, including poo. Before the slipping change, the random naked fool making GBS threads up the hallway was actually a major security threat. To make matters worse, said fool was usually feeding his excreta to whoever slipped. This could give the eater diarrhea, which made more hallway poo poo. Eventually, someone would slip the Poo Fu master and feed him his own weapon. That's when you start hearing "Circle of Life" in your head and your sanity dies a little.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

The Fatalist posted:

As a note to the new players, the few seconds it takes to get up from a slip is a fairly new phenomenon. It used to be that any slip that put you on the ground took at least thirty seconds to get up from. This made water on the floor one of the best weapons in the game.
It still is, you just have to be quicker.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

The Fatalist posted:

That's when you start hearing "Circle of Life" in your head and your sanity dies a little.

The devs should have put that song in the game files just for this purpose.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

PokeWarVeteran posted:

The devs should have put that song in the game files just for this purpose.

It should be coded that if somebody is forcefed poo within 5 minutes of them typing 'say *poo' then that soundbite immediately plays

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

It should be coded that if somebody is forcefed poo within 5 minutes of them typing 'say *poo' then that soundbite immediately plays

Just that "HAAAAAAAA SAVENIAAAAAAA" bit? People would be abusing the hell out of it, feeding each other poo just to spam the soundbyte.

FUND IT IMMEDIATELY.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'm working on a plugin for my public CS:S server that lets a certain usergroup (like goon steamids), when spraying something, show a "Sprayed by: [random pubbie name]" instead to anyone not in that specific usergroup.

:toot:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
That is magnificent. Does it work based on username, a steamid whitelist, Steam Group membership or what?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
As far as I can tell you set custom flags based on steamid (or a password var), so likely going the steamid route

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Biowarfare posted:

I'm working on a plugin for my public CS:S server that lets a certain usergroup (like goon steamids), when spraying something, show a "Sprayed by: [random pubbie name]" instead to anyone not in that specific usergroup.

I finally have a reason to fire up my goatse sprays again :allears:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Biowarfare posted:

I love you for this. drat servers ratting me out for bottleguy :argh:

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Can you be steambanned for having grotesque sprays?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Nope. Just banned from servers.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's really hard to get steam banned. Hacking will get you VAC banned, but you can still keep your steam account and play on non VAC servers.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

In Team Fortress 2, whenever I see maps with stairs, I love to set up the teleporters especially so that were you to take it, you would get stuck in an endless loop unable to move(teleporter exit is positioned below the entrance, so you get stuck in the entrance every time you exit the teleporter). Most people know to avoid it, but sometimes you get the occasional dumb pubbie. In one such circumstance, I set the trap in turbine, and a scout jumped on. For 20 minutes straight he was trapped in the teleporter screaming at me to "BRACK THE TELEPORTS" in chat. At one point a pyro nearly killed him so I set up a dispenser next to him to heal him back up to full health. :allears:

I ended up MVP of that round too, from assorted shotgun engineer fuckery, and getting teleport after teleport nonstop until someone managed to break the hold I had on him.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
What stops them from suiciding?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

What stops them from suiciding?

Stupidity, pride, or a combination of the two.

E: The kind of people who jump in the trap are rarely the kind of people savvy enough to get out.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
More engie fun: find a payload map where there's buildable ground near the track but not at the same height as it (outside the tunnel exit on Badwater comes to mind) and build a teleporter entrance or exit so it slightly overlaps the bomb's path. The bomb will get stuck on it and will not move until you either blow up the exit or the other team destroys it. Great fun for really terrible servers.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

my pog boyfriend posted:

Most people know to avoid it, but sometimes you get the occasional dumb pubbie.

I saw a video with a good way to fool more people with this. Go with an Engineer buddy, build your entrance somewhere normal for the map, put your exit on a slope, and have your buddy put his entrance above your exit and his exit below. You don't get the endless loop but people will port to your exit and immediately be ported to the other exit where they'll be stuck forever. With your entrance in the "usual" spot you'll get more suckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I just caught a new TF2 griefing video where the guy plays Pyro, flames his teammates and switches to spectator, causing them to burn. The reactions from the other players and inept admins are the best part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLxUSAJSXjA

• Locked thread