Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I'm more interested in seeing the numbers for the family data share plans, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

yamdankee posted:

So if I never sign a new contract I will keep unlimited data? Sorry for the dumb question. I just want to make sure I understand it right, and I'm not that smart :v:
No, if you never activate a different smartphone on your line, you'll probably be able to keep unlimited data forever.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

Do people just not use wifi at all? I'm on wifi all day at work, and again at home. And this is with my Galaxy Nexus, and all of 4G battery-eating power.

I just try to use wifi as much as possible, and even though I'm on unlimited, I still have just used ~48MB so far this billing cycle (6 days deep).
The wifi coverage where I work is spotty at best and we've got about 800 people sharing a 3MB pipe so 3G is almost always faster and more reliable for me at work. When I'm out and about there usually isn't wifi available either. I barely use my phone so I don't go through much data but if I did wifi would rarely be an option for me.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

td4guy posted:

No, if you never activate a different smartphone on your line, you'll probably be able to keep unlimited data forever.

Eventually, one of the phones you want will require a feature code that is only available on the new plans, at that point you will have to upgrade.

If you keep the same phone forever on the same plan without touching either, then you could do this.

Edit: I reread your comment. We're saying the same thing.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Welp Bionic, it's you and me for the long haul baby.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

However, if no carriers provide unlimited then we are totally going to head back into phone regulation issues again, won't we?

Sprint has unlimited data...too bad their network is poo poo.

Maybe if this move by VZW forces enough people to jump ship and go to Sprint, they will finally have enough money to build and upgrade their network?

VVV Edit: No, that was their WiMAX "4G" service, which they have abandonded. Their LTE will use the 1.9 GHz band. VVV

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 16, 2012

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

DrBouvenstein posted:

Sprint has unlimited data...too bad their network is poo poo.

Maybe if this move by VZW forces enough people to jump ship and go to Sprint, they will finally have enough money to build and upgrade their network?

I'm not certain but I think the biggest issue is that they always manage to get screwed out of any decent spectrum. Like their LTE is on ~2300mhz which can't penetrate walls for poo poo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

To be clear, datawise I would come under the 4gb cap right now (or, frankly, 2gb) as I do use wifi alot.

So, I'm not worried about overages. My point is simply if they are going to remove the only barrier I have to shopping around to other carriers, I'm drat well going to shop around to other carriers.

If future nexus devices really are going to to be sold directly by google and possibly GSM only, that pretty much seals the deal for me after the Galaxy Nexus debacle.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

bull3964 posted:

If future nexus devices really are going to to be sold directly by google and possibly GSM only, that pretty much seals the deal for me after the Galaxy Nexus debacle.
The biggest problem is that Verizon is the only network around here that's worth a drat.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

This is just a stop on the way back to the bad old days of metered pricing, expect the same from in-home ISPs too.

Now that people have had unlimited data for a while and applications to use as much of that free data as they can, it's time to extract maximum value.

(Besides, Verizon has what, 100+ million subscribers? How else are they going to keep showing income growth?)

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

The way I've always understood it, you can pop on a different phone whenever you want if you go out and buy it unsubsidized unless of course...

AlexDeGruven posted:

Eventually, one of the phones you want will require a feature code that is only available on the new plans, at that point you will have to upgrade.

What I question on some level is how they can really enforce that when my grandfathered unlimited 4G is tied to my SIM card. I get it that they can pick up my IMEI and identify when in the future I get the sequel to the GNex, but how much can they force on me if I don't sign a new contract?

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 16, 2012

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ProjektorBoy posted:

The way I've always understood it, you can pop on a different phone whenever you want if you go out and buy it unsubsidized unless of course...

What I question on some level is how they can really enforce that when my grandfathered unlimited 4G is tied to my SIM card. I get it that they can pick up my IMEI and identify when in the future I get the sequel to the GNex, but how much can they force on me if I don't sign a new contract?

Eventually, the new phone will simply not work. On Verizon's LTE network, it's not JUST the SIM that provides network access, they still have an ESN, which VZW can choose to refuse access without the proper feature code(s).

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I've now tested against a friend's GNex:
He gets 20-30db better reception than I do, consistently, and he has 4G where I can only sometimes manage 3G.

Additionally, I report 1-5 asu at any given time, and it'll bounce up to 99 and my connection drops.

Is this something I can get a new phone over?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

ProjektorBoy posted:

Just like how Sprint enforced their $10 Premium Data fee. It was a required add-on if you ever put a different smartphone on the account. And I think you couldn't just swap phones yourself on their website - it wouldn't work. You had to call in and have them do it for you.

This is just speculation, but if you swapped your 4G simcard into another phone, Verizon could detect the new/different phone ESN and not allow you to use data until you called in to change your plan.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Leave my unlimited data alone Verizon I just got it back :saddowns:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

MeinGott posted:

Leave my unlimited data alone Verizon I just got it back :saddowns:

Nice! How did you swing that?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

As much as I would like to tell Verizon to gently caress off there's not really anywhere else to go. All the other carriers are just as expensive but have worse networks.

My regional carrier is a little bit cheaper but their phones kinda suck.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Penguissimo posted:

Switched my number back to the original that had it and Spacedout submitted the request all expert like.

I was still in the 14 day grace period though. Was actually on day 13 when he submitted it :v:

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
So when does this go into effect? I ordered my upgrade phone and it will be here tomorrow. If i missed the cut off by one day im going to be loving pissed

Edit: looks like the new data packages will be rolling out mid summer, so i should be in the clear.

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 17, 2012

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Im eligible for an upgrade right now. I was holding out to see what was going to happen with the DROID fighter but I guess that's busted. Should I just just roll the dice, snag the nexus, and pray that ill slip in?

Im curious also to wonder now this will effect individual plan holders, such as myself. How would I share data with just me? Hot spot maybe?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Just want to echo that unlimited data is pretty much the main reason I'm still with VZW. Other more minor reasons include LTE and the fact all my family is on VZW. (edit: and that I'm still under contract till 12/12 :v: )

I've been considering jumping back to GSM purely for the phone variety and this might finally make the decision for me.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 17, 2012

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Penguissimo posted:

Because I'm a baller.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

SpacedOut posted:

Because I'm a baller.

You da man.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Yeah he is.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
It sucks but Verizon simply has the best network where I live hands down. T-Mobile and Sprint are a complete joke and ATT is basically the same exact thing as Verizon at this point.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Verizon is the only good game in my area too. My wife and I have had it for years (after having Singular and their lovely dropped calls and CellOne which only covered 6 or 7 counties as home area) and we love their service. We have thought about AllTell (okay service in the area) and Straight Talk but have not went there yet. The thing about this that I am wondering is, with the term "shared data" does that mean that my wife and I would be able to share 2GB of data instead of each of us having to get our own plan? If so, this might finally make it where we feel like using our upgrade to get smartphones.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The thing about this that I am wondering is, with the term "shared data" does that mean that my wife and I would be able to share 2GB of data instead of each of us having to get our own plan?
Yeah, they're planning on offering family data plans where all lines share one data bucket, just like you do with minutes.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'd be perfectly fine with data caps if they offered sensible amounts. 2GB for $30 is loving ridiculous. I would happily accept 4-6GB for $30.

They also told shareholders they're going to be raising prices, too. gently caress em all.

Psionic Sasquatch
Oct 31, 2006
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I'm currently on a grandfathered unlimited 3g data plan with a Droid incredible. I'm not due for an upgrade til December, so I'm going to try and snag a used 4g phone to get and keep unlimited 4g. My requirements are 4g and something I can put an extended battery in. I'm leaning towards a used bionic, can anyone tell me why this is a bad idea? Thanks guys

Psionic Sasquatch fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 17, 2012

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Psionic Sasquatch posted:

I'm currently on a grandfathered unlimited 3g data plan with a Droid incredible. I'm not due for an upgrade til December, so I'm going to try and snag a used 4g phone to get and keep unlimited 4g. My requirements are 4g and something I can put an extended battery in. I'm leaning towards a used bionic, can anyone tell me why this is a bad idea? Thanks guys

If you're on unlimited 3G, you might be able to get a free upgrade early. I know VZW was sending out flyers a little while back offering a couple of different LTE phones for free to people with existing 3G phones.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Psionic Sasquatch posted:

I'm leaning towards a used bionic, can anyone tell me why this is a bad idea? Thanks guys

Not sure how much of a dealbreaker this is for you, but the Bionic isn't easily as hackable as an HTC device. You may be better off snagging a Rezound if possible.

Otherwise, it'll be a snap. Get your used 4G phone, and then head to a Verizon store and ask for a SIM card. They'll hand you a SIM for free and tie your number to it.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
Well, my contract is up in November, just in time for the new line of nexus products. If they baller block my unlimited 4g, I'll switch to tmobile.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

My wife has an iPhone 4 and I have a Nexus. We are both grandfathered into unlimited data, but I'm 28/30 days in my bill cycle and she's used only 145MB so no foul if she loses hers.

I just hope that upgrading her iPhone only affects the data plan on her line, and doesn't force both of us onto a shared data bucket.

Psionic Sasquatch
Oct 31, 2006
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I went to Verizon wireless today and I can get an upgrade early for 30 dollars apparently. The razed maxx is on sale right now for 200 and a 2 year contract. Is the phone as good as I'm hoping it will be? I need something with better reception than this Droid incredible 1. Argh in gonna be stuck with this next phone for awhile its hard to pull the trigger.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
I thought Verizon is trying to get people to switch from 3G to 4G? Why are they taking away unlimited from people trying to do so?

That would just lead to more people sticking with 3G phones, exactly the opposite of what they want.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

VerySolidSnake posted:

I thought Verizon is trying to get people to switch from 3G to 4G? Why are they taking away unlimited from people trying to do so?

That would just lead to more people sticking with 3G phones, exactly the opposite of what they want.

Eventually, your 3g phone will die, and eventually the only phones available will be LTE, and eventually that change will require a switch to shared/tiered data.

Verizon obviously feels that they are reaching enough of a saturation point where they can start finally nailing the coffin on unlimited data.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I'm on unlimited 4G with my Galaxy Nexus, what does that mean for me going forward in the future? Am I gonna lose it?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
"LTE is our anchor point for data share, so as you come through an upgrade cycle and you upgrade in the future, you will have to go onto the data share plan, moving away from the unlimited world" sounds like even current unlimited 4G customers won't be grandfathered in.

I guess this at least means it'd be worth buying a 4G iPad next year.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

But this data shared thing isn't in effect yet, correct?

I have a Droid x and have qualified for an upgrade. I have Unlimited 3g data now. If I re-up my current contract and get a new phone now, I will still be grandfathered in currently, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Correct.

• Locked thread