Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Quidnose posted:

I'm on unlimited 4G with my Galaxy Nexus, what does that mean for me going forward in the future? Am I gonna lose it?
No, not at all.

Unless you get a new 4G phone after the change takes effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Welp, I was wrong I guess. Verizon clarified some poo poo today, and it looks like if you're on an unlimited plan, whether it's 3G or 4G (the plan is literally the same plan in Verizon's system, I think), you're good as long as you never buy a subsidized phone.:

- Customers will not be automatically moved to new shared data plans. If a 3G or 4G smartphone customer is on an unlimited plan now and they do not want to change their plan, they will not have to do so.

- When we introduce our new shared data plans, Unlimited Data will no longer be available to customers when purchasing handsets at discounted pricing.

- Customers who purchase phones at full retail price and are on an unlimited smartphone data plan will be able to keep that plan.

- The same pricing and policies will be applied to all 3G and 4GLTE smartphones.

Edit: I'm actually curious, what is the Unlimited 4G plan named in your Verizon account? Can someone with a 4G phone on an unlimited plan post?

maduin fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 17, 2012

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Edit: ^^^^^ so basically you either buy the full priced phone or lose unlimited ^^^^^

This pretty much means that those who renewed/grandfathered to get 4G in the past year or so will probably be at risk of losing their unlimited 4G when they go to upgrade in 2 or so years.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

What loving shitheads.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Well I guess I'm getting the Incredible 4G before that thing happens! I've been up for renewal since March but haven't had the money nor desire for a giant Nexus or Maxx. Those phones WILL NOT fit in girl pockets!! My 3.8" screen HTC Merge barely fits in my pocket as it is :-(

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

http://phandroid.com/2012/05/17/verizon-will-give-users-time-to-evaluate-their-wireless-plans-before-making-drastic-changes/

Sounds like we'll be getting a heads up before the axe.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
So basically I can pay premium price for my unlimited internet, and I have to bring my own handset from now on? Gee, Verizon, would have appreciated a dinner before you bent us over. :thumbsup:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Well this news just increased the eBay/Craigslist value of secondhand handsets.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

maduin posted:

Welp, I was wrong I guess. Verizon clarified some poo poo today, and it looks like if you're on an unlimited plan, whether it's 3G or 4G (the plan is literally the same plan in Verizon's system, I think), you're good as long as you never buy a subsidized phone.

This may work out for me, and maybe some other people too. My fiancee is on a 2GB plan, my future mother-in-law uses a dumbphone, and I have unlimited. I could possibly just use the MIL's upgrade in place of mine and just buy her a used dumbphone when her's breaks. I get a new phone, but I never sign a new contract on my line.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
So I will keep my unlimited as long a I fork over the hundreds of dollars for a new phone whenever that may be?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

MeinGott posted:

So I will keep my unlimited as long a I fork over the hundreds of dollars for a new phone whenever that may be?

Pretty much. Even if you get to keep your same plan, they're still taking more money because you can't use your subsidy without changing your data.

So the wife and I talked about this pretty extensively today, since we're both on unlimited LTE at the moment.

We're both up at the end of the month (our 20 months) for new phones. We're both going to upgrade before the change takes effect (Incredible 4G LTE better be out soon) and let the inlaws stagnate (my FIL is on an old 150MB featurephone plan) until we see how the shared data plans are going to shake out.

If they suck (low GBs or higher prices), then we're going to jump ship. If (however unlikely) they don't suck, then we'll consider staying. If the price difference of not staying on shared is enough to buy a new phone every 2 years, then that may not suck too bad having to keep buying retail (again, unlikely).

I honestly doubt that the shared buckets will be a reasonable amount of data for the price.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

So we can choose from the quick brutal rape, which leaves us with internal injuries, or the long, slow rape that just grinds us down over the next 2 years. Hmmm...decisions decisions.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

While I agree it's lovely that Verizon is getting rid of unlimited data did anyone really think they weren't going to? They have shareholders that they have to make happy and giving away unlimited anything doesn't really benefit them. While it annoys me that they are doing this I am going to withhold judgement until the actual share plans come out. And anyone thinking that unlimited will stay around even if you don't use your subsidy is foolish. They are getting rid of unlimited and once you don't have a contract with them you have no recourse if they decide to get rid of it.

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008
Since the Maxx is went on sale this week, I panicked and ordered it in light of this new development. Maybe in a couple of years there'll be a Google phone for Verizon. Right? It can't get worse? Can it?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Blinky13 posted:

Since the Maxx is went on sale this week, I panicked and ordered it in light of this new development. Maybe in a couple of years there'll be a Google phone for Verizon. Right? It can't get worse? Can it?

There's already a Google phone for Verizon, and all of the reports on the changes to data plans have stressed that we'll have plenty of warning before things actually go live.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I use so much data that whenever i can pay for a phone in full I won't be TOO upset. It does suck but hey what are you gonna do?

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008

Penguissimo posted:

There's already a Google phone for Verizon, and all of the reports on the changes to data plans have stressed that we'll have plenty of warning before things actually go live.

Well, yes, but it does sound like it might be more Verizon flavored than the GSM version, which seems to be in need of an update as well, if Google's support forums are anything to go by. It might be worth waiting until it's regular thing for more networks. It is really pretty though, I really liked it, but I'm a coward. I just keep getting Motorolas.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I doubt Verizon will allow anyone to activate a phone that is soley Voice Over Ip on a line with unlimited data. They've publicly said the plan has always been to make voice just another form of data, even forbasic phones. Verizon rarely gives anything away and I'm sure they are not going to gift unlimited next generation voice minutes.

Future phones that can do VOIp while sgill having the CDMA radio might be a different story. I could see them keeping voice and data seperate for a brief time (ie how they keep text messages seperate from their data plans).

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Since I'm due for an upgrade this month (20th month on a 2 yr contract), I want to lock in a new phone before my unlimited data goes bye bye this summer....and because I'm tired of my Thunderbolt sucking horribly, I've narrowed it down to the Galaxy Nexus and the Razr Maxx. I commute from Central Jersey to NYC for work, usually streaming music on the train ride(s), so the ability to hold onto a signal is important, as is battery life (my main complaint with the T-bolt).

I've always been partial to Motorola phones since they tend to get great reception and have good call quality, but the Galaxy Nexus has ICS already, and has a minimal amount of bloat compared to the Razr.

I plan to root the phone if that makes any difference - at this point, anything is better than the boat anchor that is the Thunderbolt. I can literally watch the battery meter drop when I stream music, and the signal meter bounce around when the phone is sitting still.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bigtom posted:

Since I'm due for an upgrade this month (20th month on a 2 yr contract), I want to lock in a new phone before my unlimited data goes bye bye this summer....and because I'm tired of my Thunderbolt sucking horribly, I've narrowed it down to the Galaxy Nexus and the Razr Maxx. I commute from Central Jersey to NYC for work, usually streaming music on the train ride(s), so the ability to hold onto a signal is important, as is battery life (my main complaint with the T-bolt).

I've always been partial to Motorola phones since they tend to get great reception and have good call quality, but the Galaxy Nexus has ICS already, and has a minimal amount of bloat compared to the Razr.

I plan to root the phone if that makes any difference - at this point, anything is better than the boat anchor that is the Thunderbolt. I can literally watch the battery meter drop when I stream music, and the signal meter bounce around when the phone is sitting still.

You mentioned your main concerns are battery life and signal. Those are both areas where the Razr MAXX absolutely kicks the poo poo out of the Nexus. If I was in your shoes it wouldn't even be a hard decision.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You mentioned your main concerns are battery life and signal. Those are both areas where the Razr MAXX absolutely kicks the poo poo out of the Nexus. If I was in your shoes it wouldn't even be a hard decision.

Done! Thank you for the advice - this works out nicely, since I can give my Thunderbolt to a friend of mine who is stuck on a Bold 9650 (my 1st smartphone). And as bad as the Thunderbolt is, it's still better than the BlackBerry.

Edit: How is the DAC in the Razr Maxx vs the Galaxy Nexus? That was the only good thing about the BlackBerry, and I miss having good sounding bass in the car because of it.

bigtom fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 18, 2012

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

bigtom posted:

Since you plan on rooting, bloat shouldn't be a concern as you can go strip it out anyway after rooting.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
I just ordered this 2250mah External Battery Case for my nexus. I'll do a trip report and how long it lasts and how bulky the drat thing becomes

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bigtom posted:

Done! Thank you for the advice - this works out nicely, since I can give my Thunderbolt to a friend of mine who is stuck on a Bold 9650 (my 1st smartphone). And as bad as the Thunderbolt is, it's still better than the BlackBerry.

Edit: How is the DAC in the Razr Maxx vs the Galaxy Nexus? That was the only good thing about the BlackBerry, and I miss having good sounding bass in the car because of it.

I personally have no idea. The DAC in my Droid 3 is pretty good, and has good enough bass for me (I listen to metal, and the double-bass always feels nice :v: ) maybe they use the same one?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

AppleCobbler posted:

I just ordered this 2250mah External Battery Case for my nexus. I'll do a trip report and how long it lasts and how bulky the drat thing becomes

That case is for the GSM Galaxy Nexus, the Verizon version is the SCH-i515.

Also, that thing is a goddamn abomination.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Tedious_Bastard posted:

That case is for the GSM Galaxy Nexus, the Verizon version is the SCH-i515.

Also, that thing is a goddamn abomination.

It's the same configuration, it should fit fine.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
This amazes me:

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=10453

"Verizon Communications CFO Fran Shammo told investors that the company plans to increase prices for its wireless and FiOS home internet services....I think revenue ARPU [average revenue per user] will continue to grow as we get into data share plans and people start to connect more devices [on the network]. As they add more devices, they are going to have to buy up into tiers"

Then in the same press release:

"Shammo noted that he doesn't think the price increases will cost Verizon customers"

Simply amazing. "Prices will go up, but prices will not increase."

Edit: obviously I misread the release, damnit.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 19, 2012

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

He means he doesn't think Verizon will lose customers not that it won't cost customers more. That's pretty much their business plan.

They can't gain very many more customers so the only way to keep increasing revenue every quarter is to charge the customer more up until they start leaving in droves. Then cut back slightly and figure out a new way to increase revenue.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Galler posted:

He means he doesn't think Verizon will lose customers not that it won't cost customers more. That's pretty much their business plan.

They can't gain very many more customers so the only way to keep increasing revenue every quarter is to charge the customer more up until they start leaving in droves. Then cut back slightly and figure out a new way to increase revenue.

The step after that is to increase profits by cutting costs, first in costumer service, then by downsizing the service techs and administration employees. This causes more customers to leave. Downward spiral commences.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh capitalism and your fetish with unsustainable growth quarter-over-quarter. :allears:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

AppleCobbler posted:

It's the same configuration, it should fit fine.

Verizon version is thicker. Let us know how it goes.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
What's the current cheapest way to upgrade to a Nexus right now?

Reason Im asking is my girl is upgrading her phone, she's not the most tech savvy so it wont be rooted. I'm on AT&T.

Is the Nexus the best for her? Thoughts on the RAZR, Droid 4 which seem to be the most comparable?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

c0ldfuse posted:

Reason Im asking is my girl is upgrading her phone, she's not the most tech savvy so it wont be rooted. I'm on AT&T.

Is the Nexus the best for her? Thoughts on the RAZR, Droid 4 which seem to be the most comparable?

http://amazonwireless.com is the typical cheap route to get someone an upgrade.

Nexus is probably best for those who aren't tech savvy, as the Android UI on ICS is vastly improved over any device running Gingerbread, even if that Gingerbread has a carrier skin.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Reminder of my situation: I have a ~1.5 month old GNex that has radio issues; I get reliably 20-30db worse reception than a coworker with a GNex and a coworker with a Razr Maxx. Also, the battery sucks. I would like to trade for a Maxx, but I guess I'd even take a new GNex? I don't know.

Does anyone have any tips for me to walk into a store and end up with a decent solution?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

traveling midget posted:

Reminder of my situation: I have a ~1.5 month old GNex that has radio issues; I get reliably 20-30db worse reception than a coworker with a GNex and a coworker with a Razr Maxx. Also, the battery sucks. I would like to trade for a Maxx, but I guess I'd even take a new GNex? I don't know.

Does anyone have any tips for me to walk into a store and end up with a decent solution?

If your signal sucks and you can show you have problems, a store shouldn't have any problem swapping it for you (will probably order you one and have it shipped where you want/need it).

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

c0ldfuse posted:

I'm very tech savvy and I hated my Nexus. I loved what the third party developers were doing, but that's about it. I thought my first Nexus might be bad, so I exchanged it for another one. Both were plagued with horrible reception issues, issues with 3g/4g connectivity, rebooting... I wasn't alone. Did I mention HORRIBLE RECEPTION!!! The battery would die so quickly because it'd keep looking for radio signals. Enough was enough and I exchanged it for the Razr Maxx.

I love the Razr Maxx, not to mention the battery life is out of this world. I actually talked my fiance into trading in her Incredible 2 for it and she loves it even more than I do, and she doesn't root, etc. Sure, it doesn't have many ROMs and a lot less third party developer support. Sure, maybe the screen isn't as nice but I can't tell the difference. But, I can root it, remove a lot of the bloat and still do my thing to a point. My fiance has the option to at least hid the icons to apps that came with the phone. The biggest thing is that we both can get reception in places where I couldn't with the Nexus.

mrchina fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 20, 2012

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

c0ldfuse posted:

What is her previous phone?

Is there any reason why the iPhone 4S is off the table? That is the phone I recommend to my relatives and I have minimal troubleshooting requests as a result.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Sigma posted:

What is her previous phone?

Is there any reason why the iPhone 4S is off the table? That is the phone I recommend to my relatives and I have minimal troubleshooting requests as a result.

Some awful dumbphone. Cost.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Then get the iPhone 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

I have problems with the way Apple does business.

I want her to get an Android.

• Locked thread