Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

frozenphil posted:

Eibach makes decent stuff if your goal is just to improve over stock on a street car.

Thanks, this is what I wanted to know. I don't think I'll ever track it but the body roll is gonna get annoying real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Because I'm a big whore for pictures of my car, and I don't know where else I could post them, ...

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Is that a Bullitt edition or just a green GT? The shade of green seems a little too on the light side for a Bullitt.

Edit: derp, no Bullitt badges. It's a GT.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 11, 2012

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dick Burglar posted:

Is that a Bullitt edition or just a green GT? The shade of green seems a little too on the light side for a Bullitt.

Yeah, just a GT. (I still love it)

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Dick Burglar posted:

No Bullitt badge on trunk, wrong C-scoop, Bullitts' didn't have spoilers, wrong wheels, no tail section blackout, wrong color, and no red calipers being the complete list from what we can see in the pictures.

:dong:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BonzoESC posted:

Stalling while at speed is really hard, since the kinetic energy of the car will do a pretty good job of spinning the engine.

Hit a milestone today, I don't drive very much.

I have my car one year and it has 23,000 Miles on it. gently caress my job.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

mcmagic posted:

I have my car one year and it has 23,000 Miles on it. gently caress my job.

I have had my car for 12 years and just broke 22,000 miles. I think you are doing something wrong.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I've had my car for two weeks and already have 1000 miles on it. I'm moving super close to work so I can cut that down.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kalvick posted:

I have had my car for 12 years and just broke 22,000 miles. I think you are doing something wrong.

Driving it is hardly doing something wrong :shobon:

The mileage I drive is why I got a Mustang and not a Prius.

Soon I might even be done breaking it in!

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Thought the Mustang thread was a good place as any to put this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/11/carroll-shelby-passes-away-at-age-89/

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

kalvick posted:

I have an hour commute to and from work every day. I expense my gas but this car ain't gonna last that long :(

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Comrade Flynn posted:

Try a Porsche with the PDK system. It's amazingly fun.

I've driven both a Carrera S and a Turbo S with the PDK's, and while it feels perfectly suited to a technologically advanced car like a Porsche, I just don't feel it would be the same in a V8 muscle car.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Plinkey posted:

Thought the Mustang thread was a good place as any to put this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/11/carroll-shelby-passes-away-at-age-89/

He seemed like a decent enough guy, lived a long life and died at a pretty good age. Let's just hope his heirs learned from his mistakes in the 80s and don't run the family name into the ground. I personally thing the GT500 was the most fitting car in decades to see the Shelby nameplate.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

Let's just hope his heirs learned from his mistakes in the 80s and don't run the family name into the ground.

Have they stopped suing the Shelby Registry and trying to steal their work yet?

Also:

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Rabble posted:

I've had my car for two weeks and already have 1000 miles on it. I'm moving super close to work so I can cut that down.

I live 7 miles from work :smug:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I don't have a job.

:smugdog:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bumming Your Scene posted:

The reason my mileage is so low is because I have a home office.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Less than 1000 miles and I'm getting 13.7 mpg. I'm taking it pretty drat easy...Havent gotten past the first oil change.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tide posted:

Less than 1000 miles and I'm getting 13.7 mpg. I'm taking it pretty drat easy...Havent gotten past the first oil change.

I'd have it checked out for a problem, because that's impressively lovely mileage. You have the GT, I assume?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

PT6A posted:

I'd have it checked out for a problem, because that's impressively lovely mileage. You have the GT, I assume?

It's not that bad if you drive a lot in traffic. Also it should get better after another 1500 miles.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
2012 GT, manual. It's 45-50mph traffic...Not terribly congested with lots of starts and stops and idling. My Xterra gets 19mpg on the same commute. I hear what sounds like an exhaust leak...Or a valve....But I could just be paranoid. I'll get a vid/audio clip tonight and sling it up on youtube.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I'm not going to do the whole aftermarket parts deal with my car, but do you guys believe catch cans are beneficial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBrAi7Hycso

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I think all the 2.3 Fox Bodies have finally disappeared in Western MA/CT.

I've been trying to track one down for a 2.3t swap since I still have a newly rebuilt motor from my old SVO. It seems like the only cars that are showing up are ratty looking GT's with holes cut in the bumper for the exhaust to poke out.

Think I'll get mugged if I rip a 302 out of a GT? I got a hell of a look when I mentioned it at Mustangs Unlimited. :)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Buy this and ship it!

You can thank me later.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
:stare:

What the hell is painted on the side of that?

edit:

Oh God there's MORE of them.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/3019933352.html

Or he swapped the entire front to an 87+ after posting the last one.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 17, 2012

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It looks like he got it running and doubled the price. Wait no that is a different car. WTF is going on. Did he swap the front? This is bizarre.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 17, 2012

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
So my 2012 V6 is doing a noise that I can most closely describe as belt-like (as in the way a car with a belt problem sounds) on a cold start. This has happened twice so far at unrelated occasions...starts fading out right away and it is no longer perceivable after a minute or so...The other interesting thing is that is more audible from outside the car, I can't really hear it if I pop the hood and listen through the front...

It's one of those noises that I'm pretty confident the dealer will not be able to reproduce if I take it in for service and I'm about to go on a 3000 mile trip next Wednesday...

Any other 3.7L have encountered something similar? Apparently there is a similar TSB out but it refers to 2011 V6s with an early 2012 build date.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 17, 2012

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

So my 2012 V6 is doing a noise that I can most closely describe as belt-like (as in the way a car with a belt problem sounds) on a cold start. This has happened twice so far at unrelated occasions...starts fading out right away and it is no longer perceivable after a minute or so...The other interesting thing is that is more audible from outside the car, I can't really hear it if I pop the hood and listen through the front...

It's one of those noises that I'm pretty confident the dealer will not be able to reproduce if I take it in for service and I'm about to go on a 3000 mile trip next Wednesday...

Any other 3.7L have encountered something similar? Apparently there is a similar TSB out but it refers to 2011 V6s with an early 2012 build date.

On my 2011 GT I will occasionally get a squealing/grinding sound when starting it. It's happened about 10 times in 19k miles. I can't really find much info on it searching some Mustang forums. Wondering if it's the same symptom I have.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
Tonight I went with a friend to a SoCal Ford dealership because he's looking to buy a 2013 Boss 302, and there was a "market adjustment" of $10k. When my friend balked at that, they came back and said they would go as low as $5k above MSRP. Is this the norm for a Boss 302, or is it possible to get it for MSRP or less?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Billy Zane posted:

Tonight I went with a friend to a SoCal Ford dealership because he's looking to buy a 2013 Boss 302, and there was a "market adjustment" of $10k. When my friend balked at that, they came back and said they would go as low as $5k above MSRP. Is this the norm for a Boss 302, or is it possible to get it for MSRP or less?

When the 2012 was still pretty new, I had to drive 2 hours before I could get to a dealer (in Maine) that would sell it for MSRP.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I am going to look at this Mustang in the morning.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/3020238984.html

Anything specific I should look out for?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

mutt2jeff posted:

Just be aware that those are about the most gutless v8 you can get in a Mustang since ~1985. If you like the look and don't care about power, cool; it'll last for several hundred thousands miles if well maintained. There aren't many things that will go bad on that car that wouldn't have gone bad already if they were going to.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I was aware that the 4.6 was not highly desirable, but is it really that bad?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It is pretty bad. 1999 or newer is slightly better. You get the bad mileage without the good butt dyno feeling. It will run forever though so as long as you don't mind being out dragged by v6 minivans you will be fine.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Just be aware that those are about the most gutless v8 you can get in a Mustang since ~1985. If you like the look and don't care about power, cool; it'll last for several hundred thousands miles if well maintained. There aren't many things that will go bad on that car that wouldn't have gone bad already if they were going to.

I think that's a little unfair. Every Mustang until the new 5.0 was pretty gutless with some notable exceptions being the Mach1 in '03 and the Terminator Cobra in '02. IMO the 2005 Mustang was a bit of a disappointment performance wise. It's one reason I was a Camaro guy up until I bought my 5.0. The LT1 and the LS1 made everything Ford put out in the 90's and 2000's look like a big slow lump.

In 1994 the Mustang had 215 horsepower and the Camaro had 275
In 1998 the Mustang had 225 horsepower and the Camaro had a very underrated 315

Now if you'd like to have straight body panels and a car that's not falling apart 14 years later, avoid the Camaro.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I got my windows tinted this morning:

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

mutt2jeff posted:

Who cares if it's gutless, it's got tinded windows!

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Right ^

Follow up. Went and saw it, disappointing. CEL was on, and the 18 year old owner didnt know why, paint was dim and full of swirls, "new tires" were half worn away. Sounded good and drove well. Made a lot of noise for not much acceleration. I think I am gonna offer him three thousand, and flip it if it doesn't grow on me. Clean up the outside and fix whatever is causing the CEL and I would be able to get a grand out of it. That is, if he bites.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

I think that's a little unfair. Every Mustang until the new 5.0 was pretty gutless with some notable exceptions being the Mach1 in '03 and the Terminator Cobra in '02.

The Mach1 and Terminator both appeared in '03. ;)

quote:

IMO the 2005 Mustang was a bit of a disappointment performance wise. It's one reason I was a Camaro guy up until I bought my 5.0. The LT1 and the LS1 made everything Ford put out in the 90's and 2000's look like a big slow lump.

In 1994 the Mustang had 215 horsepower and the Camaro had 275
In 1998 the Mustang had 225 horsepower and the Camaro had a very underrated 315

Now if you'd like to have straight body panels and a car that's not falling apart 14 years later, avoid the Camaro.
I'm not comparing the first gen SOHC engine to the LT1 or the LS1, only to other Mustang engines, and in that measure it is a gutless turd.
Besides, buying a Comaro means you have to drive a Comaro and its three feet of dashboard, horrible build quality, and laughable parts durability. Opti-Spark, anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

frozenphil posted:

The Mach1 and Terminator both appeared in '03. ;)

I'm not comparing the first gen SOHC engine to the LT1 or the LS1, only to other Mustang engines, and in that measure it is a gutless turd.
Besides, buying a Comaro means you have to drive a Comaro and its three feet of dashboard, horrible build quality, and laughable parts durability. Opti-Spark, anyone?

My LT1 Camaro kept me on a first name basis with my service department, but I wouldn't say durability was a problem for the LS1 cars. I had an LS1 Camaro for six years that had no problems besides one O2 sensor failing.

And I don't think of '90s Fords as being great on quality either, my '91 T-bird was poo poo except for the motor.