Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Ooh, thanks. Just bought a new pair on ebay for 80$.
Adidas F50 adizero TRX HG Synthetic Yellow Hard Ground
I kind of wanted leather instead of synthetic, but Messi wears leather so they are 50$ more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I usually go the eBay route for my boots as well, but it turns out that I have a connection at Nike who got me a pair of Legend IV's. Sad to give up my Adipures, though :(

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Can anybody recommend some good shinguards?

$20 for the biggest and thickest ones you can find is my recommdation. Of course this is the advice if you play big, clumsy players that kick out a lot. Your shins will thank you.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

cosmicjim posted:

Ooh, thanks. Just bought a new pair on ebay for 80$.
Adidas F50 adizero TRX HG Synthetic Yellow Hard Ground
I kind of wanted leather instead of synthetic, but Messi wears leather so they are 50$ more.

Leather Adizeros are fantastic, the synthetic, not so much. Probably why there is a glut of synthetic around on the cheap.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Shrapnac posted:

Leather Adizeros are fantastic, the synthetic, not so much. Probably why there is a glut of synthetic around on the cheap.

My tunits are synthetic, so I'm already used to them. I haven't had a problem with them so far so I at least know what I'm getting.

Last game of the season is Sunday. We are 8-0-1. The team we are playing is 8-0-1. The tie was to each other. Winner wins the the division. We win if it's a tie because of goal differential.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

slow hands posted:

Ankle Injury Guy

I almost forgot one of the others things I did. Balance plays the biggest role in getting confidence back. On rest days, I would balance on my injured ankle with my eyes closed. After awhile I started balancing on said ankle while throwing a tennis ball against a wall and catching it.

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 154 days!
Argh we were actually having a pretty good game but were down 2-1 at halftime, our main striker guy managed to get a double yellow and we got trashed afterwards. Game ended 6-2 after giving up a stupid goal and a penalty.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
so i was playing keeper today when i hurt my knee.

it was a low, simple shot a few feet to my right. i go to plant my right foot into the ground when i feel a pop on the inside of my right knee. i sort of fell after that and agonizingly watched the ball roll into the netting. fortunately we were up 4-2 after that goal.es

i stayed down for a minute rubbing it to see if anything was out of place. there wasn't, so i got up and tested it. initially, my knee felt as if it would return to normal in a matter of minutes. as you might expect, it didn't. i could feel it beginning to burn, and it felt unstable from side to side. from front to back it felt strong. i requested a sub, and our backup keeper came on.

but not before a goal kick had to be taken. because of the injury, i deferred the kick to my central defender. he proceeded to completely flub the kick. his approach was from straight on, and he went on to attempt a toe punt. he somehow managed to kick the ground a good 4 inches in front of the ball, yelling out a profanity in spanish as he fell to the ground. the ball rolled maybe 10 yards outside the box when an attacker ran onto it. the beleaguered defender hobbles up and dispossesses the forward and toe punts it (this time with his weak foot) up to the center circle. he immediately begins rolling on the ground grabbing the afflicted big toe. i was cracking up

back to the knee. it's really starting to tighten up. i iced it 20 mins on/20 mins off for 2 hrs earlier. i'm just trying to stay off it and keep it elevated as much as possible.

anyone have advice on how to take care of it? what exactly did i injure? how long will i be sidelined for?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

You need to get it looked at by a doctor or physio. Best case you have tweaked a medial ligament and will be out 2-3 weeks. Worst case you've severely damaged the ligament and/or cartilage and will need surgery to repair it. Don't take chances with your knees.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Scikar posted:

You need to get it looked at by a doctor or physio. Best case you have tweaked a medial ligament and will be out 2-3 weeks. Worst case you've severely damaged the ligament and/or cartilage and will need surgery to repair it. Don't take chances with your knees.
A million times this. Knee injuries are pretty risky and after I did some damage to my own it still hurts like a motherfucker if I'm stuck sitting too still and can't stretch it out properly and I went to the doc pretty rapidly.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
so i went to the doctor today. she said there's nothing wrong with it. i should be able to play in 10 days according to her. i had an x-ray done. she's not expecting to see anything out of the ordinary. she did it as a precautionary measure. just ice and tylenol is what the doctor ordered.

i'm very relieved by this

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Worth going to the doc even if it's just for your peace of mind.

I'm playing 5s tonight and my legs feel like turd. Really tight and heavy. No idea why except I had a horrible dream that I was missing a flight last night so maybe I was sleep running.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 23, 2012

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

Worth going to the doc even if it's just for your peace of mind.

I'm playing 5s tonight and my legs feel like turd. Really tight and heavy. No idea why except I had a horrible dream that I was missing a flight last night so maybe I was sleep running.

I played last night (Tues) after a 10 mile hike involving the highest place in the Smokies on Sunday. Not such a great idea, it turns out.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Just played this Sunday in some high school alumni game. Guess they must have been pretty bad because I cut them to shreds. 4-2 and I had 1 goal and 3 assists, played as right wing so I could float into space as all our other creative players were on the left, I'd call for a big switch in the final third and would draw a defender out and drive crosses/cut back passes into players rushing forward then float back into space when we weren't in possession. Probably could have had 5-6 assists if we played on full goals.

Oh also my goal Idk how it happened, well I do, played like 3 1-2s with our striker and switched myself to center as he switched out right, then got the ball at about the pen spot juked someone right, had to beat another defender left, then had to drag the ball back to beat the defender I beat the first time before I could slot the ball into the side netting.

Shocking since I normally don't beat anyone as my entire game results in drifting wide, drawing a defender, and playing a simple pass to an oncoming midfielder or cross to my stoker.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Played in a "Staff vs Students" game earlier on. This time playing for the staff, I'm yet to be defeated from my student days and managed to continue that run. At one point my former head of department gave away possession by loving around on the halfway line then didn't both chasing back so I had to cover a poo poo load of ground to put in a last ditch tackle (that should totally have been a foul but never mind about that). I was halfway through screaming "just get rid of the loving ball in future!" when I realised who it was and just kind of tailed off...

Still, the game was closer than it should have been. Some of the staff are good but they're knocking on so lack the pace/stamina to last the game. After completely bossing the first 25 minutes and taking a 4-1 lead the showboating started a bit early from us. By the end the youth started to shine through and I was unable to stem the tide alone. Ended up winning 5-4 with me putting in a cross to the only other guy under 30 in the team who managed to make a late run into the box. Piss poor marking and a good finish and we staggered slowly over the line.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Fryhtaning posted:

I played last night (Tues) after a 10 mile hike involving the highest place in the Smokies on Sunday. Not such a great idea, it turns out.

I was terrible for the first 5 minutes or so - every tackle was a hack, every shot was a slice. But after that, the stiffness evaporated and I ended up getting a hattrick and setting up a bunch of goals/chances. Adrenaline does wonders.

Of course, as soon as the game finished, I felt like poo poo again.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
Started my HIIT yesterday. Legs feel like jello today

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Have you guys been on a team where no one has played GK before? What do you do in that situation? Do you rotate outfield players into that spot?

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

TyChan posted:

Have you guys been on a team where no one has played GK before? What do you do in that situation? Do you rotate outfield players into that spot?

That's what we always do. We used to change every 2 goals but now we do every 5 minutes to make sure the lazier players make at least some effort in goal.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Dammit, wrong thread.

But yeah, I've been on teams with no real goalie, and we usually sub every few minutes, unless someone's doing really well, and if we rag on them enough they become goalie by default. For indoor, when we bothered to have a subbing schedule (just a list of names, you sub down the list every 5 minutes or so), when you subbed in you went straight into goal. No arguments there.

Lazlow fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 27, 2012

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
That's one nice thing about having played keeper growing up: it's pretty easy to find a team when you move to a new area. Now, to find one in Minneapolis.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

edit: nevermind I am dumb

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

FML. Pulled off a spectacular one-on-one save thirty seconds into the game, then counter that with an absolute howler with two minutes to go. Such is life.

(The howler was a ball bouncing around our box, one of my defenders scuffed a clearance and I stare at the ball (that was about three metres away) for three seconds before their forward taps in the easiest goal he'll score all season. :()

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
Anyone in the UK/Manchester got any tips on how to get new games? My usual routes have all dried up. Had a work game but that's died entirely with injuries/changing priorities (babies) and my weekend games are likely off for most of the summer with folk holidaying/touring.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Anyone looking to play on a team in the Orange county area. I play on a mainly Hispanic team but we need players badly.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I need some new Astro's desperately, does anyone have any good ones they could recommend?

No football today becuase it's bank holiday and last week they were re-laying the astro turf so not till next week :suicide:

give me a chance to sort my ankle out, I also might be joining another league near to where I work which should be good.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Played the first half in goal yesterday, let in 3. :(

Played striker the second half, scored 2. :smug: Managed to salvage a 3-3 draw.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!

Thirteenth Step posted:

I need some new Astro's desperately, does anyone have any good ones they could recommend?

i love my tiempo mystic iv tf's. they're very comfortable, built sturdy yet not too heavy, and the grip is fantastic. i'm sure you'll get a lot of recommendations for the nike mercurial victory's though.

whatever you do, make sure you get shoes with the little nubs on the bottom.

like this:

not this:

CAMiasm fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 5, 2012

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

gently caress me, I got TAKEN OUT in the game this evening.

Their goalie was super chirpy and making comments at us strikers all game, till I scored from the edge of the area and shut him up.

A few minutes later, ball is in the box and he charges me from behind, nowhere near the ball and gets his shoulder under me and sends me flying and I land on my hip and have to go off.

No card, and we miss the penalty, argh (we are now 0 for 3 in penalties)

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

Tiger Crazy posted:

Anyone looking to play on a team in the Orange county area. I play on a mainly Hispanic team but we need players badly.

What part of Orange County? I've been wanting to get back into playing somewhat seriously for a while now and would definitely be interested in hearing the details. If you don't want to post on here feel free to shoot me an email at dontbetheweak@yahoo.com.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

CAMiasm posted:

i love my tiempo mystic iv tf's. they're very comfortable, built sturdy yet not too heavy, and the grip is fantastic. i'm sure you'll get a lot of recommendations for the nike mercurial victory's though.

whatever you do, make sure you get shoes with the little nubs on the bottom.

like this:

not this:

I reckon Nike indoor shoes are heaps better than the Adidas ones. I've tried a couple of times with Adidas boots and they're always really think and have thick soles which makes me feel unbalanced whereas the Nike ones are much lower and wider. I feel much more balanced in them on an indoor court. Big fan of any garishly colored Nike Elastico Pros.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I've 'signed up' for an 11 a side team for the first time this summer with pre-season training beginning on 24th June. I've played five and six a side on and off for a good few years now but even when I was a bit younger I never played or even tried to play a full eleven a side match.

I realise eleven and five/six a side are not comparable, and at 25 years old I have most likely missed the boat, but in terms of general fitness drills and solo workouts are there any suggestions anyone can give me? Christ, I don't even know what best position I could play in an eleven a side team. I assume at 6'6" I should be a centre half, I play defence at six a side, but I can't head the ball for toffee.

So, yes, any and all advice greatly appreciated. I've decided that nights I am not playing football should be a good 5km jog around the nearby park. I assume it's a terribly sad social faux pas to take my football there and try to practice some passing and or shooting?

Also, wish me luck in finding size 13/14 football boots that don't cost a bomb...

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

RedPaddy posted:

Anyone in the UK/Manchester got any tips on how to get new games? My usual routes have all dried up. Had a work game but that's died entirely with injuries/changing priorities (babies) and my weekend games are likely off for most of the summer with folk holidaying/touring.

I play two or three nights a week in Manc. interested?

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
If its a faux pas I must be the biggest rear end in a top hat in the park, I bring my ball every day and it stays at my feet while I run

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

britishbornandbread posted:

So, yes, any and all advice greatly appreciated. I've decided that nights I am not playing football should be a good 5km jog around the nearby park. I assume it's a terribly sad social faux pas to take my football there and try to practice some passing and or shooting?

Also, wish me luck in finding size 13/14 football boots that don't cost a bomb...

Guessing the pitches are still up, then;

Width of pitch at a jog
Back again, run the 18 yard box
Width of the pitch back, knees up,
Back again, sprinting the 18 yard box (or 6 if you're not that fit)
Width of the pitch, heels kicking your arse
You could probably bring the ball in for another back and forth

Take loads of water, your close control will probably be a lot better than the people you're up against because you're used to having less time on the ball than you will in a full size pitch.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

britishbornandbread posted:

I've 'signed up' for an 11 a side team for the first time this summer with pre-season training beginning on 24th June. I've played five and six a side on and off for a good few years now but even when I was a bit younger I never played or even tried to play a full eleven a side match.

I realise eleven and five/six a side are not comparable, and at 25 years old I have most likely missed the boat, but in terms of general fitness drills and solo workouts are there any suggestions anyone can give me? Christ, I don't even know what best position I could play in an eleven a side team. I assume at 6'6" I should be a centre half, I play defence at six a side, but I can't head the ball for toffee.

Jesus, at 6'6" I'd say play center back - if you can't direct the ball towards the goal up front as a target man you can probably at least direct it away from the goal. Plus, if you're like any of the tall, lanky dudes I play against (you've got a full foot on me), you're almost impossible to dribble or pass around. Not to mention intimidating if you use your size properly.

And yes, take your ball with you on your jogs, I do.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I started playing 11 a side for the first time ever last year at the age of 28. It's really fun, but like you said, completely differet from 5/7 a side.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Yeah, last time I played 11 a side I was totally lost and basically worthless, until I realized there is always space out wide. Then I started blasting in assists like mad as literally the world's fattest, slowest, and laziest winger.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Any tips for avoiding friction blisters? I need to get new socks for sure, mine are pretty ratty and old now, but I'm still breaking in my new boots. Is that something that'll just go away as they break in? I haven't worn a new pair of boots in probably 4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Try wearing a pair of liner socks under your regular socks. Also, stay away from cotton and opt for something that will wick moisture as opposed to just absorbing it, like merino wool if you're rich or synthetic fibers if you're not.