Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Excuse me good sir, the term you ineffectually grasp for should be widdershins. :wotwot:

Bloody colonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
My bike blew it's lowbeam bulb on the way home from work the other day, I replaced the bulb and it was fine when I tested it in the driveway, and when the bike was idling.
As soon as I left my driveway it blew again, what would cause that? the Reg/Rec?
Regulator failures are pretty common on the daytona, but generally when it does die the symptoms include the bike cutting out while running, or the dash flickering on and off.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

theperminator posted:

My bike blew it's lowbeam bulb on the way home from work the other day, I replaced the bulb and it was fine when I tested it in the driveway, and when the bike was idling.
As soon as I left my driveway it blew again, what would cause that? the Reg/Rec?
Regulator failures are pretty common on the daytona, but generally when it does die the symptoms include the bike cutting out while running, or the dash flickering on and off.

The latter symptoms you mentioned are if your voltage regulator is putting out too little power. If you're blowing low beams it means it's putting out too much power. It will eventually start burning up your battery as well. You should be able to easily check this with a multimeter but I've had this happen to me on two bikes and it's always the low beam that goes first.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

theperminator posted:

Mostly constantly blowing headlight bulbs are caused by bad ground connection. Check the connectors.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Sir Cornelius posted:

Mostly constantly blowing headlight bulbs are caused by bad ground connection. Check the connectors.

This - my Duke II kept blowing bulbs and the neutral light for this reason.

:godwin: (<--- closest thing we have to :austria:)

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Saga posted:

This - my Duke II kept blowing bulbs and the neutral light for this reason.

Exactly. On a Daytona I'm willing to bet that it's the low-beam bulb terminal. 10 times more likely than the regulator/rectifier if the bike has none other issues.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone know of a good place in the Milwaukee area to get suspension done? I'd like to get the DRZ sprung for my weight, but with a babby at home I really dont have the time.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Why? At least the idiosyncracies in old Japanese manuals are charming, like the electrical troubleshooting step "remove and replace the pointless regulator". I don't have any idea what BMW is saying about their valve shims with that one. Do they serve a secondary purpose?

e: it actually says "pointless regurator", ha

Even new ones can be charming. The service manual for my Super Sherpa had a diagram showing how to vent the battery. It showed a little cloud of steam coming off with a sound effect of "PHOO."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is definitely some engrish in my DRZ manual as well.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Put 40 miles on my CB500 today, loving amazing. I did notice a few things though:
1. There isn't a complete seal where the left muffler meets the left exhaust pipe. I'm planning on ordering a muffler gasket to replace it from ronayers.com

2. My front brake is squealing whenever I go over ~25mph. I figure that it's the pad is dragging so tomorrow I'm going to adjust the caliper clearance.

3. Almost every time I upshift, I hear what sounds like the gears grinding as I've let the clutch out almost completely. It's most noticeable when I'm idling at a stop light and then let out the clutch to start in first gear.

Are my responses to 1 and 2 correct, or am I missing something really obvious? As for 3: does this sound like something that will be easy to fix, or am I going to end up spending a bunch of time and/or money?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Checked it today, the connectors are clean.
I checked the voltage while the bike was running, at idle it's putting out 15-16v and when I move the throttle a little it goes up to 18.

From what I've read it should be putting out 14.5v Max

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

angrytech posted:

Put 40 miles on my CB500 today, loving amazing. I did notice a few things though:
1. There isn't a complete seal where the left muffler meets the left exhaust pipe. I'm planning on ordering a muffler gasket to replace it from ronayers.com

2. My front brake is squealing whenever I go over ~25mph. I figure that it's the pad is dragging so tomorrow I'm going to adjust the caliper clearance.

3. Almost every time I upshift, I hear what sounds like the gears grinding as I've let the clutch out almost completely. It's most noticeable when I'm idling at a stop light and then let out the clutch to start in first gear.

Are my responses to 1 and 2 correct, or am I missing something really obvious? As for 3: does this sound like something that will be easy to fix, or am I going to end up spending a bunch of time and/or money?

There's no such thing as "caliber clearence". I'm not sure I fully understand your problem.

The "gears grinding" doesn't sound like something "easy to fix". Could you make a video of the situation?

theperminator posted:

I checked the voltage while the bike was running, at idle it's putting out 15-16v and when I move the throttle a little it goes up to 18.

Your voltage regulator is dead. Replace it.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 19, 2012

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

theperminator posted:

If your battery is constantly running at too high of an output, it's temperature is going to keep rising and it could go into thermal runaway. I worked on batteries in the Navy for two years and a bunch of that was car batteries used in our tow tractors and such. I've had batteries overheat during charging and had to be disconnected, but I've never seen one actually go into thermal runaway. If that happened, you would not be a happy rider.

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008

Discomancer posted:

I have that same year and color, it's a great bike! They are pretty reliable and very manageable power (even for a bad rider like me), and there's a good community over at GStwins that has a lot of maintenance wikis.

That said, $2200-2300 is more of a fair price, I think 2800 is a bit optimistic.

Yeah I agree with Disco. 2800 is too much imo. 2200-2300. Try 2000.

And see if its been well maintained. For a bike under 11000km and year 2005, its probably been stuck in the garage or something collecting rust.

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008
How did you guys learn how to fix motorcycles?

Are there any good beginner books for motorcycles? I downloaded an old service manual for my bike but its too technical.

Or good websites that teach you about motorcycle maintenance for the beginner?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

dogpower posted:

I found some manuals and did what they said to do. Also posted some questions on various places on the internet, mostly ones specifically related to my bike. After doing this for a while on various bikes, I learned some general principles and eventually got a job working at a bike shop.

quote:

Are there any good beginner books for motorcycles? I downloaded an old service manual for my bike but its too technical.
What bike? What manual? The Haynes/Chiltons manuals seemed pretty user-friendly to me.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
A factory service manual tells you what needs to be done but rarely shows you how to do it. As the good reverend says, a Haynes for your bike will hold your hand a bit more.

Haynes also do this, but how good it is I can't tell you.

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BookFeature_MotorcycleMaintenanceTechBookView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001

You will need tools (I think we have a thread for that) and ideally someone who knows what they're doing to advise so you don't make expensive mistakes.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Having the right tools, taking your time and being organized with parts, and having someone who knows what they're doing to help you are the big things. You're sure to make some mistakes anyway, but without one of these you make more.

Take chances, make mistakes and get messy.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 19, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dogpower posted:

I bought a Haynes manual and studied it for a while.

Then I found a cranky old geezer who insists on telling everyone how wrong they are about motorcycle maintenance and tries teaching them his way of doing it ;)

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

dogpower posted:

Someone posted a website awhile back that (while looking looking like something out of 1998) was filled with a lot of good info on getting started with bike repair. Id post it but don't have the bookmark here in my phone.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SB35 posted:

Someone posted a website awhile back that (while looking looking like something out of 1998) was filled with a lot of good info on getting started with bike repair. Id post it but don't have the bookmark here in my phone.

There's this: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

But it's more focused on buying a used bike.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

dogpower posted:

My dad.

I'm sure he learned a lot from Haynes/other brand. He buys one for every vehicle he gets.

Find a website specifically for your bike, there is probably one out there.

I think some cities have open shops, kind of like a bicycle co-op where you can bring your bike and use tools/get help on site.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Then I found a cranky old geezer who insists on telling everyone how wrong they are about motorcycle maintenance and tries teaching them his way of doing it ;)

I'm pretty sure the cranky old geezer considers you a challenging juvenile student, and I'm not sure he has much success in his tireless and persistent trials of teenage education.

You did buy and install a constalube-thing for a brand new D.I.D X-ring chain, didn't you? The cranky old geezer failed :(

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

dogpower posted:

Forums specific to your bike are good, but most motorcycle knowledge is transferable across models.

this is a good site for simple jobs
http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A good place to start is pick a simple maintenance job and read a lot about it. Changing your oil for instance. It will demystify a lot. Also general theory of engines and metals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_combustion_engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machinery

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalworking

You don't have to know all of that, but it's interesting on its own, at least I think so. It's the reference universe the plot of your motorcycle is set in.

Beware of befriending an older wise man. Here is a video of Cornelius and Kozmo at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPlQpGeTbIE

The suppressed sexual tension between them is like a compressed fork spring about to go BOING and leap gloriously out of its fork.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Sir Cornelius posted:

There's no such thing as "caliber clearence". I'm not sure I fully understand your problem.

That's what the Clymer manual calls it:v:, but the short explanation is that there's a screw that adjusts the distance between the brake pads and the rotor. Whenever I get above 25 mph I hear a squeal, and the rotor has two thin lines on it like something's dragging.
This thing sat in a shed for 13+ years until I bought it, so I figure that it could use some adjustment.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I just discovered something interesting as I was getting the Frame, VIN and engine serial numbers. My '80 CB400T is supposed to have Keihin VB22B carbs, but the numbers stamped into the ones on my biek are VB22C, which means that they're not the proper match. Know your bike! :science:

If the shop that did service on my carbs a few years back went by the Honda service manual, then the primary and secondary jets would be totally wrong for the carbs that are installed.

So, my question is what sort of difference do jet sized represent?

My assumption (I know, I know) is that they've put in VB22B jets (Primary 70/Secondary 110) into a VB22C carb (72/118). Would those number be stamped on the jets anywhere?

Or it could be something else :) I don't get a lot of garage time since I primarily work at my parents' place, nowhere here to work on it.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Chris Knight posted:

My assumption (I know, I know) is that they've put in VB22B jets (Primary 70/Secondary 110) into a VB22C carb (72/118). Would those number be stamped on the jets anywhere?

Probably. I have a little tackle box full of jets and there are a handful of them that don't have the size stamped on them. It's annoying because I have to guess what size they are. But probably 99% of them in my experience have the size stamped on them. Only way to know is to check!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

You did buy and install a constalube-thing for a brand new D.I.D X-ring chain, didn't you? The cranky old geezer failed :(

Shush you, it's been gone for a long time.

Help me come up with the best solution for a center stand stopper instead.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Any reasons I shouldn't buy a 2006 Ninja 650? The other bike I'm looking at is the SV650 but I'm having a hard time finding a good one on craigslist for a fair price.

I Found what looks like a great condition Ninja 650, but it's a 2006 with only ~1400 miles on it. Seems like it may have been sitting around a bunch, but it has always been stored in a garage and only had one owner. I think I could get it for about 3900, maybe a touch less. Seem worth it?

Also, the Ninja 650 is EFI and not carbureted, right? I have an irrational hatred of carburetors.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Guinness posted:

Any reasons I shouldn't buy a 2006 Ninja 650? The other bike I'm looking at is the SV650 but I'm having a hard time finding a good one on craigslist for a fair price.

I Found what looks like a great condition Ninja 650, but it's a 2006 with only ~1400 miles on it. Seems like it may have been sitting around a bunch, but it has always been stored in a garage and only had one owner. I think I could get it for about 3900, maybe a touch less. Seem worth it?

Also, the Ninja 650 is EFI and not carbureted, right? I have an irrational hatred of carburetors.

The Ninja 650 is fuel injected, the common complaints are kinda crud build quality (look for painted parts rusting on the underside) and more limited aftermarket compared to the SV. Dunno if the price is reasonable or not.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm not terribly concerned about the aftermarket, as long as typical maintenance parts won't be a hassle or inordinately expensive.

The comment about general build quality is a little worrying, though. Is the SV650 known to be a lot better built? I know the SV650 has a lot of fans around here.

If I were to get a bike that had sat around for a while, I'd probably at minimum want to replace all the fluids, and maybe even hoses too, right? That'd be a bit of a pain in the butt to do right off the bat. :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

It's the diameter in hundredths of a millimeter, right? 70 = 0.7mm, 118 = 1.18mm? I think I read that somewhere.

If you have a really nice sharp set of calipers or an appropriate micrometer you might be able to measure them yourself.

Guinness posted:

If I were to get a bike that had sat around for a while, I'd probably at minimum want to replace all the fluids, and maybe even hoses too, right? That'd be a bit of a pain in the butt to do right off the bat. :(

Bleeding the brakes can be kind of a pain, but changing the oil and coolant is pretty trivial.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Bleeding the brakes can be kind of a pain, but changing the oil and coolant is pretty trivial.

For sure, it's not the fluids so much as the hoses. Although maybe replacing all the hoses would be overzealous if they don't visually look too bad?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ola posted:

Beware of befriending an older wise man. Here is a video of Cornelius and Kozmo at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPlQpGeTbIE

The suppressed sexual tension between them is like a compressed fork spring about to go BOING and leap gloriously out of its fork.

Here's how it actually sounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA2-gRaxsqg

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

It's the diameter in hundredths of a millimeter, right? 70 = 0.7mm, 118 = 1.18mm? I think I read that somewhere.

If you have a really nice sharp set of calipers or an appropriate micrometer you might be able to measure them yourself.
Well, I'll be ordering the right jets anyway for the next time I'm at my parents' place, since I won't be stripping carbs out on the street.

I also found out that the catalog # for replacement brake levers doesn't match what's actually on my bike, so I wonder WTF else the PPO did to this poor Honda.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sir Cornelius posted:

Here's how it actually sounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA2-gRaxsqg

That's wonderful!

This was in related vids. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__hbtRs0jy0 Oh times, how you have changed.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ola posted:

That's wonderful!

This was in related vids. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__hbtRs0jy0 Oh times, how you have changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFkgJcmQNtY

Jo, du har ret. Jeg har en god ven med afrikansk etnisk hudfarve. Min kone har udstedt forbud mod at kalde ham "neger-svinet", men det er helt ok, at han kalder mig Göring.

Better get back to "Less chatting and more questions".

Sagebrush posted:

Bleeding the brakes can be kind of a pain

No, it can't. On a motorcycle, any motorcycle, it's a 10 minute job. It's the most trivial task, if you do it right.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Sir Cornelius posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFkgJcmQNtY

Jo, du har ret. Jeg har en god ven med afrikansk etnisk hudfarve. Min kone har udstedt forbud mod at kalde ham "neger-svinet", men det er helt ok, at han kalder mig Göring.

Why are they speaking German in Hitler's accent?

Also, what are they saying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Guinness posted:

I'm not terribly concerned about the aftermarket, as long as typical maintenance parts won't be a hassle or inordinately expensive.

The comment about general build quality is a little worrying, though. Is the SV650 known to be a lot better built? I know the SV650 has a lot of fans around here.

Just fluids is fine unless you see something actually wrong with the hoses. It's not a huge deal - an oil change is usually simple and as far as coolant goes, motorcycles usually self-bleed in a completely trivial manner. Typically you warm it, turn off, open drain bolt at the bottom of the system, refill (flush it if you want), and then run it with either a cap or a bleeder bolt open at the top for a couple of minutes. Close system and then top up the header tank if low. Brake fluid I'd just leave until the first pad change you do, unless the fluid's black or something.

I'm a big fan of the ER-6/Ninja 650. The engine's very fuel efficient and the power's quite adequate for a naked road bike, especially for an inexperienced rider. The suspension is slightly crude but functional, but if you like the bike that's easily fixed by the aftermarket. Perfect for putting some miles under your belt.

IME the ER-6 does have poor paint quality and generally looks like crap as soon as it has seen one winter, but it's not a build quality thing per se - it's not like the ER-6 is a maintenance nightmare or the SV better in that respect. Also, if you don't live somewhere where they salt the roads or won't be riding in winter, it's probably not a huge issue as long as you give it a weekly wash and douse it with rust inhibitor (e.g. Scotoiler FS365).