Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Did Nike also get the rights to the throwback jerseys? I've fallen in love with an Orange #55 Derrick Brooks jersey on tarajersey.com but I'm waiting to see if Nike will have anything like it coming out this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
The real throwbacks are always done by Mitchell and Ness, they've had the rights since the late90s early 2000s. They make the jerseys as authentic to the period as possible, and you end up spending a ton of money on it. I know Reebok had some throwback jerseys in the Premiere Tier which featured older players, but got a few of the details wrong and slapped a reebok logo on it, but I haven't seen any indication that Nike has those rights this year, nor any that they don't.

My guess is we'll find out in the middle of summer.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

M&N ran a sale last holiday season where most jerseys were only $100. I hope they do that again this year.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

shyguy posted:

M&N ran a sale last holiday season where most jerseys were only $100. I hope they do that again this year.

Indeed, I got my Rickey Jackson jersey during that sale. I've managed to pick up a few more that I wanted on ebay from legitimate sellers. I'm also looking forward to their popup shop in New Orleans when they set everything up for the superbowl. I'm 99% sure the Saints won't be anywhere NEAR the superbowl, but from their twitter pictures it looks like they still bring gear for the host city.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I know this is football jersey chat, but I've been meaning to get an A's jersey, but which? If I get a weeks jersey am I cursing him to be traded next week? Do I stick with an old all star?

Also, I would prefer the away "Oakland" on the front, but I like home white. What should I do?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Beane said before this season that Weeks was the only player on the roster he would not consider trading. Of course, he could have been lying, but that's probably your best bet unless you want a wait a few years until they have new talent up from the minors.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Ron Jeremy posted:

I know this is football jersey chat, but I've been meaning to get an A's jersey, but which? If I get a weeks jersey am I cursing him to be traded next week? Do I stick with an old all star?

Also, I would prefer the away "Oakland" on the front, but I like home white. What should I do?

You could always get a blank jersey. Current players are hard to gauge, just check who signed an extension most recently cause they'll be safer bets. Old all stars could be good ones, depends on the player really.

Just whatever you do don't get your own name put on it, that's tacky as gently caress.

I'm thinking about collecting the Rangers throwbacks they'll be wearing this year. There's 4 in all, and I'm thinking about getting Hamilton on all of them. I also want to get a blue Yu Darvish at some point.

e; Last year around this time we had a thread about posting your jersey collections. It's been so long since then that I'm sure a bunch of people on here have gotten new jerseys, plus the Nike NFL jerseys are out, think we should just use this thread to talk about that or should someone start a new one for it?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

MissileWaster posted:

Just whatever you do don't get your own name put on it, that's tacky as gently caress.

This is the reason I've stopped myself from getting a Jacob Hester jersey. I feel like people that know me would look, see my own last name on the back, and think I was one of THOSE people

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

MissileWaster posted:

e; Last year around this time we had a thread about posting your jersey collections. It's been so long since then that I'm sure a bunch of people on here have gotten new jerseys, plus the Nike NFL jerseys are out, think we should just use this thread to talk about that or should someone start a new one for it?

I'd keep it here, since this seems to be a more general thread, and if you split it off into "post your jerseys" then both threads will die out, where as this may have a chance of living.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
On a slightly related note to the custom jersey talk, does the NFL still have "Mexico/7" banned on jerseys?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

crankdatbatman posted:

On a slightly related note to the custom jersey talk, does the NFL still have "Mexico/7" banned on jerseys?

http://outsports.com/nfl/2005/0301nflshopnaughtywords.htm

ZopfaMania
Jul 7, 2010

CYBER SLIMER never gets old

It's funny that Cyber Slimer is no-go but I guess Slimer is?

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

I laugh every time I get to:

CLIT
CLITORIS

I just imagine a guy trying CLIT and then just for good measure and a double check, goes for CLITORIS.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
if it weren't so expensive I want a Saints jersey with Ridiculous/3 on the back, since it's Bobby Hebert's old number and a word he seems to LOVE to say on the radio.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
NFL covering all bases

HERSHEY HI WAY
HERSHEYHIGHWAY
HERSHEYHIWAY
HERSHY HIGH WAY

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

mints posted:

if it weren't so expensive I want a Saints jersey with Ridiculous/3 on the back, since it's Bobby Hebert's old number and a word he seems to LOVE to say on the radio.

I saw a Dallas Mavericks jersey that was ReDirkulous/41, I was so tempted to buy it.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

mints posted:

Some guy at my store has a Ryan Mathews jersey from the Chargers with two T's because he thinks the NFL shop spelled the guys name wrong :shepface:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boosh! posted:

NFL covering all bases

HERSHEY HI WAY
HERSHEYHIGHWAY
HERSHEYHIWAY
HERSHY HIGH WAY
But not HERSHEY HWY :ssh:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

This reminds me of the hilarious Illinois attempts to ban obscene license plates.

quote:

Headaches arose a few years ago when plates reading “GIV ME A” were issued to a man from Northen Illinois. Only later was it apparent the seemingly harmless phrase, when combined with the name of the man’s vehicle (a civilian version of a military SUV), formed a sex act demand.

BRB MAKIN BACON
Mar 22, 2007

I am Tuxedo Mask.
Russell Wilson, look into your heart and find the warrior within.
It is your destiny.

~:Seattle Seahawks:~
Yo Schwack. Even though I picked up 2 old ones last year, I obviously need to get one of them new Seahawks jersey. I'm ~5'10.5, ~170 slim runner physique. What size of the new Seahawks jersey do you think I should pick up? Youth? Men's?

nedit: FUUUUUCK AUTOGRAPHED WALTER JONES GAME DAY JERSEY TWO HUNDRED BONES FUUUUUCK There's no way that's an actual autograph is it?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

BRB MAKIN BACON posted:

nedit: FUUUUUCK AUTOGRAPHED WALTER JONES GAME DAY JERSEY TWO HUNDRED BONES FUUUUUCK There's no way that's an actual autograph is it?

I can't imagine why the Seahawks would sell a forgery in their own team store.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Boosh! posted:

NFL covering all bases

HERSHEY HI WAY
HERSHEYHIGHWAY
HERSHEYHIWAY
HERSHY HIGH WAY

This list is going to need revision when Steve rear end RANGER gets taken in the first in a couple years

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

I can't imagine why the Seahawks would sell a forgery in their own team store.

I'm betting he meant "There's no way Walter Jones actually sat down and signed a bunch of $150 jerseys and they're selling them at $200 a piece. Surely this is a screen printed on the number kinda deal?" but still, I think you're right: poo poo's real. Buy it up bacon.

BRB MAKIN BACON
Mar 22, 2007

I am Tuxedo Mask.
It is your destiny.

KettleWL posted:

I'm betting he meant "There's no way Walter Jones actually sat down and signed a bunch of $150 jerseys and they're selling them at $200 a piece. Surely this is a screen printed on the number kinda deal?" but still, I think you're right: poo poo's real. Buy it up bacon.

More this, holy gently caress if that's a real autograph I'm going to stockpile these bad boys like a libertarian with ammunition.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

BRB MAKIN BACON posted:

Yo Schwack. Even though I picked up 2 old ones last year, I obviously need to get one of them new Seahawks jersey. I'm ~5'10.5, ~170 slim runner physique. What size of the new Seahawks jersey do you think I should pick up? Youth? Men's?

uh yeah that's actually a great deal for a Hawks fan

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Yeah but you don't actually wear a signed jersey to the stadium. Frame that poo poo and hang it in your bedroom.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Yeah but you don't actually wear a signed jersey to the stadium. Frame that poo poo and hang it in your bedroom.

My girlfriend tried to get me a signed Lynch jersey for when I play games...

They'll never find the body.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Grozz Nuy posted:

I don't really agree with this. It's actually pretty easy to get player autographs, they aren't sacred or anything. I could see you being like this if it was a player who recently retired or doesn't play in your market but there are signing events all the time if you live in your team's market.

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.
Yeah I hate to break it to you but big name players autograph tens or hundreds of thousands of jersey/photos in their lifetimes. Sometimes they (or their proxies who can fake their signatures good) crank out 5000 in a day. Yeah it's kind of nice if it makes you feel like you got a personal piece of or moment with the player I guess, but it's not unique and doesn't add much value over a normal jersey, you'll probably spend more on the frame than the signature actually adds.

BRB MAKIN BACON
Mar 22, 2007

I am Tuxedo Mask.
It is your destiny.

I don't care about the perceived added monetary value of the signature. It's simply a matter of;

1. I'm ok spending $200 on a jersey actually signed by Walter Jones.
2. I'm not ok spending $200 on a jersey with a screen print autograph.

I'll call the site and see if the autograph is legit or not.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Grozz Nuy posted:

The stadium is like the only place where you DO wear an autographed jersey.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
To me, if I spend 200$ on clothing I am wearing it. Hell, I was given an actual game jersey of my favorite Russian soccer club's feeder team by a player. It's literally irreplaceable but I still wear it. If it gets a really nasty stain or rip or something then I'll frame it with whichever side isn't ruined facing out. For me shelling out 250$ for a gameday jersey and then framing it in your room and waring a watered down version for another 100$ is just stupid.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Toussaint Louverture posted:

For me shelling out 250$ for a gameday jersey and then framing it in your room and waring a watered down version for another 100$ is just stupid.

If you have a game room or something though that framed jersey is just art though, I think with the intention it serves a completely different purpose. Whatever though, everyone's taste are different, let's hug!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

If you have a game room or something though that framed jersey is just art though, I think with the intention it serves a completely different purpose. Whatever though, everyone's taste are different, let's hug!

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the 100$ one inside the frame? Most of the details the fancier jerseys have require you to touch or get close to see.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

To me, if I spend 200$ on clothing I am wearing it. Hell, I was given an actual game jersey of my favorite Russian soccer club's feeder team by a player. It's literally irreplaceable but I still wear it. If it gets a really nasty stain or rip or something then I'll frame it with whichever side isn't ruined facing out. For me shelling out 250$ for a gameday jersey and then framing it in your room and waring a watered down version for another 100$ is just stupid.

For me it depends on the player. I mean, no way in hell am I wearing an autographed jersey, but some players I'll definitely pay 200 bucks for a signed jersey so I can hang it up in my living room.

I need to get a frame for my autographed TO jersey. Paid about twenty bucks for the jersey, then got him to sign it at halftime of the Wranglers season opener.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the 100$ one inside the frame? Most of the details the fancier jerseys have require you to touch or get close to see.

Well really none of it makes sense as in it's not like one way is right over the other. People frame autographed jerseys because they find them collectable, they really liked the player, makes them think of that team etc. To some people that $200 is a lot of money to drop on something special to them so they don't want to wear it to a game where they think it'll get destroyed.

I mean the whole thing is a very subjective field. Reminds me a little of people who collect action figures and arguing over in the box vs. opening and displaying them.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think it depends on the player. If they're wholly unremarkable or were poo poo. Like if I had a deshaun foster signed jersey I'd wear that sumbitch when I was doing anything.

Cam Jersey though... I'd have it framed and mounted properly.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

The Dave posted:

Reminds me a little of people who collect action figures and arguing over in the box vs. opening and displaying them.

The correct answer is opening and displaying them, though.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

I dunno, if I were to get a jersey signed by a player that I really liked I would want to preserve it rather than wear it out, regardless of how much the autograph actually adds to the value. To use a comparable example from my own franchise, if I got a signed Jerry Rice jersey I'd want to hang that poo poo in my room for the rest of my life. I don't care how often he or any other player signs jerseys, because to me that's just a loving cool thing to own and I'd want to preserve it. Granted, it's slightly different because Rice is the GOAT, but they're still HOF-caliber players largely associated with a single franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Jerry Rice is an exception to the rule. Maybe I'm just bitter because my Grandfather had a baseball signed by Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron and he gave it to the Smithsonian. They don't even loving display it! :argh:

• Locked thread