Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is there a way to turn off the dome light in a New Edge? Turning the headlights to the right (as per usual with Fords) does not work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Krakkles posted:

Is there a way to turn off the dome light in a New Edge? Turning the headlights to the right (as per usual with Fords) does not work.

Turning the headlight knob to the right is how I turn mine on, so I just turn it a bit to the left to turn it off. Did you use the switch on the light itself to turn it on? If so, you need to use the switch to turn it off.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

mutt2jeff posted:

Follow up. Went and saw it, disappointing. CEL was on, and the 18 year old owner didnt know why, paint was dim and full of swirls, "new tires" were half worn away. Sounded good and drove well. Made a lot of noise for not much acceleration. I think I am gonna offer him three thousand, and flip it if it doesn't grow on me. Clean up the outside and fix whatever is causing the CEL and I would be able to get a grand out of it. That is, if he bites.

I'm late with this, but a huge problem with the '98 is that the stock intake manifold has a design flaw and cracks all the time. If you haven't bought it yet, check that the crossover near the thermostat is aluminum and not plastic or you'll inevitably be replacing it.

Other than that, the only thing my '98 (@130k miles) has really had troubles with is the stock 6-cat (6!) mid-pipe, which got super clogged. If the power just falls off over like 3k rpm, that's what it probably is. The IAC died too, but other than that it's just been sensor replacements in 50k miles of my ownership.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

frozenphil posted:

Turning the headlight knob to the right is how I turn mine on, so I just turn it a bit to the left to turn it off. Did you use the switch on the light itself to turn it on? If so, you need to use the switch to turn it off.
No, it turns on when the door is open. Tried left and right ... Doesn't make a difference, and there isn't a click at either end as I seem to remember my brother's Fox body having.

Edit: there actually is a click all the way left/ counter-clockwise, but it just turns the light on always.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://youtu.be/EU1ym8nUOUs

11.81@123mph on stock tires for the 2013 gt500.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

Powershift posted:

http://youtu.be/EU1ym8nUOUs

11.81@123mph on stock tires for the 2013 gt500.

Excluding the GT-R, has anything production that costs under 6 figures done it faster?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pudgygiant posted:

Excluding the GT-R, has anything production that costs under 6 figures done it faster?

A Z06 on PS2s can do 11.7, but it does cost more.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

Billy Zane posted:

Tonight I went with a friend to a SoCal Ford dealership because he's looking to buy a 2013 Boss 302, and there was a "market adjustment" of $10k. When my friend balked at that, they came back and said they would go as low as $5k above MSRP. Is this the norm for a Boss 302, or is it possible to get it for MSRP or less?

Update:

After making some more calls and sending emails, my friend found 3 dealers in Socal willing to sell a Boss 302 at MSRP and put down a deposit at one of them. Too bad there's no way to give a big "gently caress you" to all the dealers selling above MSRP. I can't wait to get a chance to drive it. :getin:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Billy Zane posted:

Update:

After making some more calls and sending emails, my friend found 3 dealers in Socal willing to sell a Boss 302 at MSRP and put down a deposit at one of them. Too bad there's no way to give a big "gently caress you" to all the dealers selling above MSRP. I can't wait to get a chance to drive it. :getin:

You could always leave 2 long black marks right through their lots.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Jay Leno takes a Gt500 for a spin, nothing special but its good footage of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLZdKnDAMnE

creamed corn
Jun 25, 2006
Just have a question. I just bought a 2013 Mustang GT. I would like to have some nice sounding exhausts on it. I've gotten mixed recommendations from various people. I've heard borla, flowmaster, magnaflow, ect. What would you all recommend? Thanks.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

creamed corn posted:

Just have a question. I just bought a 2013 Mustang GT. I would like to have some nice sounding exhausts on it. I've gotten mixed recommendations from various people. I've heard borla, flowmaster, magnaflow, ect. What would you all recommend? Thanks.

Id say corsa simply because its a safe bet drone wise (there is no drone), i took this video, not the best sound quality but its an idea of start up noise, interior noise, outside noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21l-gKiR7Qo

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

creamed corn posted:

I have the Roush Axle-back's that are reasonably priced and don't have any drone that I have come across. Just a little louder than stock at 70mph, but hitting over 4k RPM they are excellent.

Here's a vid (not mine). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eINYYrfQys

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

creamed corn posted:

Sound is so subjective, though.

I love the sound of the Flowmasters, but not on the new 5.0s. I love the Borla Type S on the new 5.0s, but never was a fan of any of the Borla for previous engines.

The thing to think about, and I believe the rule of thumb still applies, is that chambered mufflers sound better with an H pipe, straight through mufflers sound best with an X pipe. Take a chambered muffler like a Flowmaster and pair it with an X pipe, and I think it sounds like blatty rear end.

But Borla, Flowmaster, Corsa, and Magnaflows are all high quality manufacturers and can't go wrong with any of them. Bring up youtube and search for 'Mustang Magnaflow' or 'Mustang Flowmaster', bearing in mind the sound quality of the recording itself.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

creamed corn posted:

I have the whole magnaflow exhaust: offroad x-pipe, street-series cat back. I think it sounds great. There was a little bit of drone with at 1900RPM with catback only, and of course the cat-less midpipe made everything much louder. Plus it looks great and the fitment is really good.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Love these Borlas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdlgfe6UWtI

Gotta admit though, the Flowmaster Hushpower has kinda grown on me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJaWOGXf_gM

The underwater burble sound of both of them makes me :dong:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I'm a Magnaflow fan, personally.

http://youtu.be/QQhRBCziQ6s

creamed corn
Jun 25, 2006
Thanks for all the replies. I love all those ones you guys recommended. I just find it so hard to choose! It's going to take some serious decision making for me to make up my mind. I'm horrible at choices. Any more input would be grateful. Thanks again guys and here's a picture of my new ride! :D

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

creamed corn posted:

Thanks for all the replies. I love all those ones you guys recommended. I just find it so hard to choose! It's going to take some serious decision making for me to make up my mind. I'm horrible at choices. Any more input would be grateful. Thanks again guys and here's a picture of my new ride! :D

Great looking car, love that blue.

-----

Does a Cold Air Intake really make that much difference? I keep reading all this stuff but I can't decide if it's just marketing speak.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Rabble posted:

Does a Cold Air Intake really make that much difference? I keep reading all this stuff but I can't decide if it's just marketing speak.

It's just marketing and cosmetics. In the vast majority of modern cars, the factory airbox is already taking in cold air from inside the fender/from under the headlight/etc.; replacing the airbox with a :krad: cone filter means that your engine will be taking in a bunch of warm/hot air from the engine compartment instead.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

zundfolge posted:

It's just marketing and cosmetics. In the vast majority of modern cars, the factory airbox is already taking in cold air from inside the fender/from under the headlight/etc.; replacing the airbox with a :krad: cone filter means that your engine will be taking in a bunch of warm/hot air from the engine compartment instead.

And there is the risk that the after market filter is oiling up your MAF or letting through a shitload more dirt and dust compared to the OEM piece.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Plus leaving your mustang bone stocks means I will actual want to buy it compared to me ignoring it as soon as I see a bunch of mods.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Here's my friend's new car. Pictures taken by my friend's friend.

The Boss 302 is pretty awesome.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Holy poo poo.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

Plus leaving your mustang bone stocks means I will actual want to buy it compared to me ignoring it as soon as I see a bunch of mods.

Yeah that's what I figured. In my head I was thinking "if it really did everything that they say it does then it would be put on by the factory".

Also, when I actually get around to lowering the car I'm going to get a ford authorized mechanic to install the OEM performance kit. It might be more expensive but I'll be able to have records of factory parts installed by someone who (should) know what they are doing. Then maybe instead of dropping the value dramatically for non-stock modifications, it can instead increase the residual value a bit.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Billy Zane posted:

SO PURDY

Goddamn, I want a Mustang in white now. The hell with Kona Blue. (no offense creamed corn)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Billy Zane posted:

My jealousy knows no limits.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Drilling holes for the license plate bracket should be a felony

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Drilling holes for the license plate bracket should be a felony

Drilling holes make the vehicle lighter!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Drilling holes make the vehicle lighter!

We can see who's been to the track and who hasn't. :smuggo:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Dick Burglar posted:

We can see who's been to the track and who hasn't. :smuggo:

I get this reference.

erock
Mar 2, 2007
Endlessly wandering
I am picking up a 65 GT in a week or so and wanted to know if there is anything specific I should be looking into replacing / upgrading for general drivability. This won't be a show car, just something fun for summer weekends. Right now I am planning on putting disk breaks on. Any input or ideas would be great.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

erock posted:

I am picking up a 65 GT in a week or so and wanted to know if there is anything specific I should be looking into replacing / upgrading for general drivability. This won't be a show car, just something fun for summer weekends. Right now I am planning on putting disk breaks on. Any input or ideas would be great.

I'd recommend against disk breaks on that car.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

erock posted:

If you just want to drive it on the weekends there is nothing you need to change.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Billy Zane posted:

This looks gorgeous although I am not seeing the side exhaust outlets...are they no longer a "thing" on the 2013 302?

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

This looks gorgeous although I am not seeing the side exhaust outlets...are they no longer a "thing" on the 2013 302?

They're still present. You can sort of see some of the metal glinting in front of the rear wheels in the second picture.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Billy Zane posted:

God damnit. I really want that one, and I *already* have a white 2012 Boss. The '70/'13 style is just better :(

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I stopped by the dealership in town to take a look at some of the 2013s in person since it looked like they had gotten a couple in. They had two Roush RS3s, and happened to be getting a GT500 off the truck right when I stopped by. poo poo looks awesome (Even dirty as gently caress from the truck ride. I'm sorta surprised how dirty it actually was, but w/e). The GT500 also gets the really superb seats and steering wheel from the Boss now, which is nice. This one was loaded up with all the options, and they said it was already sold for 65k,

semi-lovely cellphone pics inc:

Comedy point: Check out how small the brakes on the RS3 are compared to the Shelby.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Billy Zane posted:

drat, small world (looked at that exact car when I had my 2006 in for service, assuming he went to the Irvine Tuttle Click). But yeah, it's a beauty and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
The stock speakers in the Shaker 500 system are pretty much worthless. I just upgraded the door units (left the subs alone) to some Infinity Kappa 2-ways and the difference is night and day. if you can spare the 70 bucks to buy a pair off amazon I highly, highly recommend it.