Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

FunkyAl posted:

Speaking of merch, does anybody know if the shirts available at Zazzle are made/approved by Onstad? They seem to be the only game in town, but I don't want to buy a shirt if it's bootlegged or anything.

Yeah man I mean you wouldn't want to steal that potential profit from him or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Dominion posted:

Yeah man I mean you wouldn't want to steal that potential profit from him or anything.

Shady business actions don't excuse shady consumer habits. A dude's IP is still his IP.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

FunkyAl posted:

Shady business actions don't excuse shady consumer habits. A dude's IP is still his IP.

And if I want to buy a Dude Has Got No Mercy shirt and he won't sell me one, I will buy one from someone who will. I would gladly pay Onstad for one.

If he's the type who just doesn't want any merch out there for his stuff, which I think it's safe to say he isn't since he used to sell all that stuff, he should ask Bill Watterson how that worked out, and how much money Watterson got for all those stickers of Calvin peeing on things.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Dominion posted:

If he's the type who just doesn't want any merch out there for his stuff, which I think it's safe to say he isn't since he used to sell all that stuff, he should ask Bill Watterson how that worked out, and how much money Watterson got for all those stickers of Calvin peeing on things.

That's a real good plan except it's impossible to ask anything to mr. I-live-in-seclusion :smith:

kreayshawns talent
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Wonder if he got caught stealing from his wife and that is why they divorced. Also I'd love to know how a job that kept you at home all day with the kid and available to be with your wife could possibly take up all his time. What a whiner.

Ending a marriage with a young daughter thrown into the mix has to be seriously one of the most drawn out devastating ordeals a person can go through, having your identity and child and finances wrapped up in a relationship that's falling apart and fighting out the details must be like slowly tearing off an emotional bandaid day after day. You really don't know a person you trusted and made a life with until you get divorced from them. So that's not really excusing Onstad but it's starting to seem less "gently caress you customer" and more "I had to talk to my lawyer three times this week, my ex isn't answering my calls about our daughter, and I can't get out of bed today. what comic."

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer
:siren: Yet another one :siren:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"Looks like Earth voted..."

Yay for Achewood, I like where this is going.

Psycho Serum
Apr 28, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
"I see an alive guy. Everything else is just leftovers from the moment before."

And just like that, all is forgiven. Achewood climbs back onto the throne, brushing some dirt from its shoulder.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Now that, that is more like it.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Cornelius is still talking a bit like a British thesaurus but I guess he can do that if he wants to, this is a very good strip.

=Theo Freedom=

:allears:

Locus fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 19, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man, nobody likes dialogue like Onstad. God drat it's good to have him back even if it's sporadically.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

He sprang this place!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"If I stop touching it, I'm littering." This is a good thing.

The Betrayer
Jan 1, 2005

Sometime during this arc, Teodor needs to call up Circus Penis and find out if Theo Freedom is taken or not.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

"If I stop touching it, I'm littering." This is a good thing.

God dammit Onstad, you motherfucker. You still got it.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
Okay decent

Decent

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I know everyone has already been saying it in here, but strips with dialogue like this are why I use Achewood as my litmus test for finding out how much I can trust someone.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I have found myself giggling over the lines " This boring book is wet and nasty and if I stop touching it, I'm littering!" on at least three occasions.

I am pleased.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Locus posted:

Cornelius is still talking a bit like a British thesaurus but I guess he can do that if he wants to, this is a very good strip.

=Theo Freedom=

:allears:

Cornelius is getting a bit loving annoying, actually. Is this just me? He never used to be written this pretentiously.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

If you read one of the last couple of strips with him in then jump right back to his first appearances it's like he had a stroke at some point.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Dush posted:

Cornelius is getting a bit loving annoying, actually. Is this just me? He never used to be written this pretentiously.

My theory is that his dialogue is the result of Cornelius' "voice" being bottled up too long and it getting all dumped into big speech balloons of British slang. That's how I felt about everyone's dialogue in those first few post-hiatus strips.

Crackerman posted:

If you read one of the last couple of strips with him in then jump right back to his first appearances it's like he had a stroke at some point.

Yeah, but that's the beginning of Achewood, and say, 75% of of Cornelius's appearances would be weird contrasted with the first few. But I also think they're weird contrasted with these, as if he's being intentionally abstruse or whatever.

But again, this is the best strip in a long time, I'm not gonna worry too much if Cornelius sounds like a dick.

Locus fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 20, 2012

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Dush posted:

Connie has always been less than impressed with Ray's buffoonery. I present the following exhibits from the "Volvo of Despair" plot:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06012005

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06032005

To quote Ray - "Fine then! Don't be any help at all! BE completely a dick!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Locus posted:

My theory is that his dialogue is the result of Cornelius' "voice" being bottled up too long and it getting all dumped into big speech balloons of British slang. That's how I felt about everyone's dialogue in those first few post-hiatus strips.

More likely is that Onstad's mentally lost touch with all his characters and is now writing them like caricatures to make up for it.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Locus posted:

My theory is that his dialogue is the result of Cornelius' "voice" being bottled up too long and it getting all dumped into big speech balloons of British slang.
Yeah, right now Cornelius is sounding less like the Cornelius we all loved and more like Bertie Wooster on a three-day coke bender.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

homeless poster posted:

Connie has always been less than impressed with Ray's buffoonery. I present the following exhibits from the "Volvo of Despair" plot:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06012005

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06032005

To quote Ray - "Fine then! Don't be any help at all! BE completely a dick!"

Yes, but the next one gave me a good laugh again :)
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06062005

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Trilobite posted:

Yeah, right now Cornelius is sounding less like the Cornelius we all loved and more like Bertie Wooster on a three-day coke bender.

Agreed. Seems like he's trying to fire off a pearl with each sentence, instead of constructing satisfying dialogue that contains individual funny lines. I think it'll settle down over time. For now I'm just glad he's writing funny, interesting poo poo again.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I understand why some are debating Cornelius' legitimacy at the moment, but I think we can all agree on how great the second half of the strip is.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Satorr posted:

I understand why some are debating Cornelius' legitimacy at the moment, but I think we can all agree on how great the second half of the strip is.

Yeah, apart from Cornelius this one is good. I'm over a barrel, here!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I hope Ray has stumbled into a community of dudes who have wandered out of the hospital after being presented with that paperwork.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
In the May 14 strip, at least, Cornelius talking so strangely really worked because of the contrast with Todd's speech, and the absurdity of two people speaking such radically different Englishes being mutually intelligible and carrying on their conversation without a hitch.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

This is not a bad strip.

I just really want some closure on the christmas party blog entry.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

kombatMedik posted:

This is not a bad strip.

I just really want some closure on the christmas party blog entry.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about The Breast.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

robot roll call posted:

I hope Ray has stumbled into a community of dudes who have wandered out of the hospital after being presented with that paperwork.

This is followed with a whole panel of them telling Ray the date.

Psycho Serum
Apr 28, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Oxxidation posted:

More likely is that Onstad's mentally lost touch with all his characters and is now writing them like caricatures to make up for it.

Oh look guy with Homestuck avatar has Stupid Opinions about webcomics

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Psycho Serum posted:

Oh look guy with Homestuck avatar has Stupid Opinions about webcomics

Which is why it's so mystifying that someone with a Gunnerkrigg avatar can make such terrible posts. :rolleyes:

There's something definitely up with Cornelius's dialog, and I don't think there's any in-comic reason for it, and Onstad being a bit rusty writing the bear is a pretty good explanation.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
A rusty Onstad is still often better than a great deal of others at the top of their game, in my opinion.

Countdown until "Rusty Onstad" is defined as a new sexual maneuver on Urban Dictionary.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's a slight variation on the Commodore.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Aww, Urban Dictionary has a review process now. Might show up later, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

SeanBeansShako posted:

This is followed with a whole panel of them telling Ray the date.

Roast Beef finds Ray with Altimeter Tim and the rest of the group. He is greeted with a chorus of hostile "Not hi"s. He slinks away in defeat and sits in the dark at home. Cue alt text.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 22, 2012