Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sang- posted:

Doing things like closures/function pointers on the jvm is really, really poo poo and are basically just massive work arounds.

The way Scala does partially applied functions is by creating a new class file for each possible partial application of the function in question and you end up with files like this: "CheckSyntax$$anonfun$additive_exp$2$$anonfun$apply$160$$anonfun$apply$161.class"

hopefully jvm 8 will introduce function pointers or something similar to alleviate this.
lol no, you will only get syntactic sugar for Runnable/Callable, there is no escape sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

lol no, you will only get syntactic sugar for Runnable/Callable, there is no escape sorry

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Sang- posted:

Doing things like closures/function pointers on the jvm is really, really poo poo and are basically just massive work arounds.

The way Scala does partially applied functions is by creating a new class file for each possible partial application of the function in question and you end up with files like this: "CheckSyntax$$anonfun$additive_exp$2$$anonfun$apply$160$$anonfun$apply$161.class"

hopefully jvm 8 will introduce function pointers or something similar to alleviate this.

MY NAME MANGLING :qq:

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

tef posted:

DSLs are often hailed as a silver bullet of programming, wherein you can get people to write programs, in programming languages, without learning how to program. I don't get it myself.

hey come on it's only been 60 years, give this cobol thing a chance

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
I dunno about you but high level languages have worked out quite well for me thanks

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
but what about embedded programming or some other stupid bullshit trotted out by idiots as if it is representative of all programming ever

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
incoming no true scotsman fallacy

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i'm the true scotsman

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
i tried to use scala once + it completely broke + i couldnt tell from the error messages if it was me or the compiler or the runtime or what that hosed up. cool language i guess??? lol

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

realistically it was probably me

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

i'm the true scotsman

yeah but i'm a Real American

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

tef posted:

I dunno about you but high level languages have worked out quite well for me thanks

do you use them in your role as a business manager to create your own technology solutions as envisioned by hopper and boyce

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Internaut! posted:

do you use them in your role as a business manager to create your own technology solutions as envisioned by hopper and boyce

it's excel

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Char posted:

but what about embedded programming or some other stupid bullshit trotted out by idiots as if it is representative of all programming ever

50% of all programming ever is embedded hth

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Internaut! posted:

wat?

the committee that made cobol set out to make a portable language across machines as a stop gap measure

quote:

This group will explore a "problem-oriented but machine-independent language." This is defined as: "A language which will permit the description of the problem in such precise terms as to convey the management needs and objectives while providing a regimented and firm basis for exploration of these objectives in a
language which would not be geared to a specific data processing system, but to which each data processing system might be applied to provide for the accomplishment of the objective in the most practical manner.

and they were aiming at novice programmers to be writing programs that could be read by management

quote:

Although from the very beginning COBOL was concerned with "business data processing," there was never any real definition of that phrase. It was certainly intended (and expected) that the language could be used by novice programmers and read by the management. We felt the readability by management could and would be achieved because of the intended use of English, which was a fundamental conclusion from the May 1959 Pentagon meeting. Surprisingly, although we wanted the language to be easy to use, particularly for nonprofessional programmers, we did not really give much thought to ensuring that the language Would be easy to learn; most of our concentration was on making it "easy to read" although we never provided any criteria or tests for readability.

:q:

tef fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 20, 2012

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Sweevo posted:

50% of all programming ever is embedded hth

measured how

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
also if you want to have a language understandable by management but usable by developers just use cucumber features.

another innovation brought to you by the world of interpreted languages.

you're welcome.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

tef posted:

i'm the true scotsman

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Char posted:

also if you want to have a language understandable by management but usable by developers just use cucumber features.

another innovation brought to you by the world of interpreted languages.

you're welcome.

so this thing generates unit tests from actual (specifically-structured) written english?

seems actually cool, definitely good for communicating with nonprogrammers

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ridgely_Fan posted:

so this thing generates unit tests from actual (specifically-structured) written english?

seems actually cool, definitely good for communicating with nonprogrammers

i think of them more as integration tests, and they're not generated by the cucumber features, they are cucumber features

i like 'em because even when i don't have to communicate with nonprogrammers, i can specify a feature at some high level and not have to worry about a busted spec because it's just vague enough

code:
  Scenario: Create an account
    Given I am on the new account form
    And I have entered new account information
    When I press "Create User"
    Then I should be logged in

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Char posted:

measured how

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

i hope that was just a low effort troll and run cos lol

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

BonzoESC posted:

i think of them more as integration tests, and they're not generated by the cucumber features, they are cucumber features

i like 'em because even when i don't have to communicate with nonprogrammers, i can specify a feature at some high level and not have to worry about a busted spec because it's just vague enough

code:
  Scenario: Create an account
    Given I am on the new account form
    And I have entered new account information
    When I press "Create User"
    Then I should be logged in

i don't have experience with cucumber but i did use inform 7 once and it soured me on natural language programming because when it looks like english you expect it to handle all the different ways you can phrase something in english

Opinion Haver fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 20, 2012

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

all that firmware in all the electronic poo poo you bought over the last 20 years just gets magic'ed out of the air and doesn't really matter. what's important is writing business logic in whatever language is popular this week, for five people to use and complain about in the SH/SC "poo poo you come across daily" thread

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
programming is terrible, kill yourself.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

:shepicide:

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Sweevo posted:

all that firmware in all the electronic poo poo you bought over the last 20 years just gets magic'ed out of the air and doesn't really matter. what's important is writing business logic in whatever language is popular this week, for five people to use and complain about in the SH/SC "poo poo you come across daily" thread

measured how

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

tef posted:

everything is terrible, kill yourself.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
if you're an embedded programmer you don't really need to elaborate i guess, since those guys are always full of themselves

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
embedded software, the neglected proletariat of the information economy

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

yaoi prophet posted:

i don't have experience with cucumber but i did use inform 7 once and it soured me on natural language programming because when it looks like english you expect it to handle all the different ways you can phrase something in english

this is nice because the first word of each line is the only predefined one, and when you first write something it gives you stubs to define what each line does

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

ahhh spiders posted:

if you're an embedded programmer you don't really need to elaborate i guess, since those guys are always full of themselves

my works really hard, because i'm making Real Things. take note, web devs

*uses no software eng practices*

*hw tools suck and i'm too lovely to do anything about it*

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ahhh spiders posted:

yeah so it turns out that all computers are electronics underneath therefore my electrical engineering knowledge automatically encompasses all of computer science now and in the future. goo goo, ga ga

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Gazpacho posted:

yeah so it turns out that all computers are electronics underneath therefore my electrical engineering knowledge automatically encompasses all of computer science now and in the future. goo goo, ga ga

so they're the physicists of computer science

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
eh the only physicist i've worked with did QA engineering for television systems and he was a pretty cool guy (i was a self-important embedded systems programmer at the time)

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
it's not fair to generalize i guess. but it makes it really easy for me to dismiss people because i ahte them all! ALL OF THEM GAHAHAHA

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shaggar posted:

actually its the unix thats poo poo. also dont use non-oracle vms

Azul Zing ftw.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
i like most every physics person and ee person ive met

but i dont like reading their code, b/c they are the worst programmers

physicists with spaghetti fortran and ee nerds with terse c functions that are 400 lines long (and single letter variables)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Markov Chain Chomp posted: