Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Reported battery percent is all over the place, I've had my 2010 for two years now and the battery has fluctuated between 87 and 92 percent for the last year - has 400ish cycles on it.

So basically, don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
The was a tragic accident between a can of Diet Coke and my unibody Macbook's keyboard, and now a cluster of keys on the right side either don't work or output gibberish. As far as I can see, I have three options:

-Bring to Apple Store, pay them a large amount of money to fix
-Purchase a replacement keyboard off eBay and attempt to fix myself
-Buy a wireless keyboard and deal with it until I buy a new laptop

The Apple Store option is obviously the most expensive, and the wireless keyboard is the easiest but least satisfactory, especially if I would like to sell the laptop in the future. Has anyone here done the replacement on the keyboard themselves, and could offer an opinion on the process? I watched some youtube videos and it seems within my grasp, but I'd like a second opinion.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

drat it. I got all psyched up to buy my first Mac in 20 years, and then the new MacBook Pro is announced.

The Nvidia card looks significantly faster, which I like very much. I'm not sure I can wait until June.. :colbert:

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Captain Pike posted:

the new MacBook Pro is announced.

What alternate timeline are you living in?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Captain Pike posted:

drat it. I got all psyched up to buy my first Mac in 20 years, and then the new MacBook Pro is announced.

The Nvidia card looks significantly faster, which I like very much. I'm not sure I can wait until June.. :colbert:

Oh god what have you done :supaburn:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Captain Pike posted:

Nothing is announced FYI.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

withak posted:

Nothing is announced FYI.

I apologize. I guess there are only rumors. Perhaps I will waddle on down to Microcenter!

Bob Morales posted:

WWDC is is in like 3 weeks.

Edit: Microcenter/AppleStore had no "hi res" Macbook Pros. The 1440x900 ones look awful.

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 19, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Captain Pike posted:

I apologize. I guess there are only rumors. Perhaps I will waddle on down to Microcenter!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Toebone posted:

The was a tragic accident between a can of Diet Coke and my unibody Macbook's keyboard, and now a cluster of keys on the right side either don't work or output gibberish. As far as I can see, I have three options:

-Bring to Apple Store, pay them a large amount of money to fix
-Purchase a replacement keyboard off eBay and attempt to fix myself
-Buy a wireless keyboard and deal with it until I buy a new laptop

The Apple Store option is obviously the most expensive, and the wireless keyboard is the easiest but least satisfactory, especially if I would like to sell the laptop in the future. Has anyone here done the replacement on the keyboard themselves, and could offer an opinion on the process? I watched some youtube videos and it seems within my grasp, but I'd like a second opinion.

It's not very hard. If you give me the model number of your Mac I can give you the relevant pages from the tear down manual

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Joe Don Baker posted:

It's not very hard. If you give me the model number of your Mac I can give you the relevant pages from the tear down manual

I would like to add that the iFixit guides are good for this too.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Can one go immediately to Apple.com/'The Fruit Stand' and buy the cool new thing the moment Tim reveals it on stage?

\/\/\/ Edit: Oh neat. :). I am tempted to go stand outside the Apple store during his speech. Maybe there will be other dudes there too and we can compare scarves and horn rimmed glasses!

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 21, 2012

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Captain Pike posted:

Can one go immediately to Apple.com/'The Fruit Stand' and buy the cool new thing the moment Tim reveals it on stage?

Within about an hour, yes.

Or place a pre-order if it's not shipping Immediately.

Desjardy
Aug 11, 2010
Does Apple usually release new revisions of their Macbook Pro's worldwide, or is it more like the iPhone/iPad with a delayed release in different territories?

The reason I'm curious is because I'll be in Japan for two months during the period of WWDC and am curious as to the likelihood I'll be able to waltz into a fruit stand and pick a new Macbook Pro up during that period.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Desjardy posted:

Does Apple usually release new revisions of their Macbook Pro's worldwide, or is it more like the iPhone/iPad with a delayed release in different territories?

The reason I'm curious is because I'll be in Japan for two months during the period of WWDC and am curious as to the likelihood I'll be able to waltz into a fruit stand and pick a new Macbook Pro up during that period.

Another question I think you should ask is about keyboards. I was looking at international keyboards out of curiosity following some hacker news post and I was amazed to see that the Japanese keyboard necessitated a totally different alumininum body atop a unibody MacBook pro.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I'm currently using a mac-mini with dual 23 inch monitors. I wonder what are the odds of a new Macbook Pro with dual-monitor support. If they really are getting rid of the Mac Pro, they'll need SOME kind of support for multiple monitors for professionals. Thunderbolt should be able to do this, no?

My spreadsheets :smith:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You can daisy chain two Thunderbolt monitors if you have a Macbook Pro. You can have 2 TB monitors + HDMI monitor on a 2011 Mac Mini.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I'm currently using a mac-mini with dual 23 inch monitors. I wonder what are the odds of a new Macbook Pro with dual-monitor support. If they really are getting rid of the Mac Pro, they'll need SOME kind of support for multiple monitors for professionals. Thunderbolt should be able to do this, no?

My spreadsheets :smith:

Thunderbolt can be daisy chained its the cost of the loving things! As far as I know there is no solution for thunderbolt to twin dvi or vga yet. Apple want you to buy their screens which is stupid $$$ But a 27" Korean display like I did. Cheaper and two "maximised" windows side by side on one monitor is awesome.

In other news Apple UK just rejected my appeal for equipment for my charity... Tim Cook email sent but I dont hold out much hope. :(

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
If Apple ditches ethernet, they may decide to include two Thunderbolt ports instead, which should allow for two standard monitors with adapters?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

cbirdsong posted:

If Apple ditches ethernet, they may decide to include two Thunderbolt ports instead, which should allow for two standard monitors with adapters?

Because the second monitor will totally make up for not being able to wire on to a lan.

Edit: Hell at this rate apple will probably just remove Firewire/USB/Displayport/Ethernet/Wireless and include 7 thunderbolt ports so you have to get two adapters for your monitor, an adapter for your USB, one for ethernet, and your Apple Brand Wireless Thunderbolt Dongle!

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Digital_Jesus posted:

Because the second monitor will totally make up for not being able to wire on to a lan.

Edit: Hell at this rate apple will probably just remove Firewire/USB/Displayport/Ethernet/Wireless and include 7 thunderbolt ports so you have to get two adapters for your monitor, an adapter for your USB, one for ethernet, and your Apple Brand Wireless Thunderbolt Dongle!

Maybe not, but having 2 thunderbolt ports will certainly have its use-cases.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

cbirdsong posted:

That would make too much sense. But there's probably have to be support in the chipset for two ports instead of one, and I'm not sure what the added cost etc would be. Having just ONE of a port that you can do so many things with (especially when not all devices have a passthrough port) is ridiculous.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Joe Don Baker posted:

Its the 13 inch 2008 unibody, Wikipedia lists the Model number as MB466*/A

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So I am looking at these two refurbs:

quote:

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 - $1,419.00
Originally released May 2011
AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics with 512MB memory

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC813LL/A

quote:

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 - $1,659.00
AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics with 1GB memory

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC814LL/A

Is the 3.1GHz processor and the better graphics card worth the extra cash?

I'd be mainly using this for Photoshop work, I have to handle fairly large files.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Debating on the Microsoft Wireless 360 controller or Logitech Wireless Gamepad F710 for OSX Lion.

Any recommendations or suggestions? I'm definitely looking for wireless.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

triplexpac posted:

I'd be mainly using this for Photoshop work, I have to handle fairly large files.

Get the cheaper one and use the difference in price to buy more ram. You'll run into ram limitations with photoshop before you'll run into CPU or GPU differences.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Has anyone tried one of the Sandisk Extreme SSDs in a MacBook Pro?

I'm thinking about picking up a 240GB to replace my 750GB 5400RPM drive. This will be going into my late 2011 MBP (15", 2.4GHz i7, 8GB, Radeon 6770 if it matters). The drive seems to be getting decent reviews but I'm having trouble finding many people that have actually bought them.

The other option is waiting on the new MBP announcement and resell this thing to immediately upgrade. I bought it refurbed and upgraded the RAM myself so I saved about $500 off the actual RRP.

I'm pretty sure both SATA channels are 6Gbps, so the best/easiest option would be to put it in the optical drive bay, right?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Digital Jesus posted:

Has anyone tried one of the Sandisk Extreme SSDs in a MacBook Pro?

I'm thinking about picking up a 240GB to replace my 750GB 5400RPM drive. This will be going into my late 2011 MBP (15", 2.4GHz i7, 8GB, Radeon 6770 if it matters). The drive seems to be getting decent reviews but I'm having trouble finding many people that have actually bought them.

The other option is waiting on the new MBP announcement and resell this thing to immediately upgrade. I bought it refurbed and upgraded the RAM myself so I saved about $500 off the actual RRP.

I'm pretty sure both SATA channels are 6Gbps, so the best/easiest option would be to put it in the optical drive bay, right?

If both SATA channels are 6Gbps, I think the opti-bay would be better so the mechanical drive retains the benefit of the anti-vibration mount in the primary HDD bay. I put my Vertex 2 in the primary HDD bay, and a new mechanical 7200rpm drive in Optibay in my 2010, but I think that was because the optical bay port was locked at 1.5Gbps in BIOS or something. (Possibly not)

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

movax posted:

If both SATA channels are 6Gbps, I think the opti-bay would be better so the mechanical drive retains the benefit of the anti-vibration mount in the primary HDD bay. I put my Vertex 2 in the primary HDD bay, and a new mechanical 7200rpm drive in Optibay in my 2010, but I think that was because the optical bay port was locked at 1.5Gbps in BIOS or something. (Possibly not)

Yeah I remember reading that the optical drive ports were slower but I guess that's only true in older models? Just checked System Information under Serial-ATA and it shows both as being 'Intel 6 Series Chipset' and they both list Link Speed as 6 Gigabit (the negotiated speeds are lower, but I guess that's just because the current drives are slower themselves).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

No sleep problems with an SSD in the optibay?

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
How dumb of an idea is it to buy a new iMac right now? My Early 2008 even with 6 gigs of ram is getting to be a little... y'know, long in the tooth.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

nerdrum posted:

How dumb of an idea is it to buy a new iMac right now? My Early 2008 even with 6 gigs of ram is getting to be a little... y'know, long in the tooth.

Unless your iMac is going to explode in your face soon and kill your pets, I'd wait.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

No sleep problems with an SSD in the optibay?

Good question, I'm really not sure. I ended up ordering a Crucial M4 256GB drive direct from Crucial as it was quite a bit cheaper than any Aussie store and only a tiny bit more than buying the SanDisk. If it does weird stuff I don't mind putting it in the normal drive bay.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

lol internet. posted:

Debating on the Microsoft Wireless 360 controller or Logitech Wireless Gamepad F710 for OSX Lion.

Any recommendations or suggestions? I'm definitely looking for wireless.

Xbox 360 controllers do not work with OS X Lion, unfortunately. The driver for the previous versions was just made by some guy who apparently disappeared, and no one can find him.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

triplexpac posted:

quote:

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 - $1,659.00
AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics with 1GB memory

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC814LL/A

I just sold mine (exact same model) on Craigslist today for $1700. The ad was only up for an hour - I think I just got extremely lucky

on topic:

you're going to need more RAM - 16gb should run around 80 bucks. If you ever plan on playing a game even once, please get the model with the improved gpu.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Bass Bottles posted:

Xbox 360 controllers do not work with OS X Lion, unfortunately. The driver for the previous versions was just made by some guy who apparently disappeared, and no one can find him.

Sure they do. :)

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Bass Bottles posted:

I'll give him a prod, I know him on IRC

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

spaceship posted:

I just sold mine (exact same model) on Craigslist today for $1700. The ad was only up for an hour - I think I just got extremely lucky

on topic:

you're going to need more RAM - 16gb should run around 80 bucks. If you ever plan on playing a game even once, please get the model with the improved gpu.
[/quote]

Good call, I would like to play some games so I guess I'll just splurge on the better graphics card

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
It's funny, my boss and I agreed that ramming (no pun) 32Gb of RAM into my Mac Pro tower (dual quad 2.8ghz) would solve all my problems. So he paid the small price of whatever RAM (1066 DDR3) goes for these days, it's stupidly cheap compared to the past. But *still* I get graphical tearing when scrolling at high magnification in Photoshop. Is it the goddamned GPU that we now have to address?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

BastardAus posted:

But *still* I get graphical tearing when scrolling at high magnification in Photoshop. Is it the goddamned GPU that we now have to address?

Unless PS was maxing out your RAM when "tearing" previously occurred, the problem shouldn't be solved. Maybe look at where you're keeping your scratch data or use an alternate drive configuration for scratch.
We upgraded 4 of our Mac Pros with ECC RAM from Crucial, and it's all systematically started dying / sketching out after about 18 months. The stock sticks are fine.

VVV Nothing's faster than being smart about how you work. Use smart objects and layer comps; try not to have > 1GB comps? Unless you absolutely have to have after-market upgrades, you should be very happy with it. Maxing out the RAM would give you the most value with the least fuss. Next up would be SSD in optibay for apps and files you need fast access to, with internal HDD for scratch.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

kuskus posted:

Unless PS was maxing out your RAM when "tearing" previously occurred, the problem shouldn't be solved. Maybe look at where you're keeping your scratch data or use an alternate drive configuration for scratch.

Maybe this is the wrong thread to ask in, but I'm curious about the best way to set up my PS scratch data in an iMac.

I'll be buying a refurb 2011 model that has a 1 TB hard drive, since it's a refurb I can't have Apple install an additional drive. Is there anything else I could do?