Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
Drive is now on Netflix, which is an amazing movie and everyone here should watch it as soon as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Boofchicken posted:

Drive is now on Netflix, which is an amazing movie and everyone here should watch it as soon as possible.

Are you being sarcastic or do you just have a scorpion windbreaker fetish?

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

cornface posted:

It's a good movie, regardless of how stupid some of its fans can be.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Urgh, I really didn't like this one. One of the only good things I can say about it is that Dulé Hill is in it (don't get your hopes up, he's only onscreen for a minute). William H. Macy does an okay job at being a bizarre, possibly mentally-ill guy that suffers a...breakdown? Not like Michael Douglas in Breaking Down--he doesn't go nuts on convenience store clerks and racists--he just walks off and...does stuff.

Hey, look--Office Space is up! Watch that instead. Ron Livingston plays an average joe that works for a software company with his friends Samir and Michael Bolton. It's often said that this film is "required viewing" for anyone entering the corporate world. It also stars Gary Cole as the worst boss ever and John McGinley (who you might remember as Dr. Cox from the show Scrubs) as an "efficiency expert." Rated R for a whole fuckton of swearing. Seriously, when this film came out, the CAP Alert guy probably shat himself.

I think you mean Falling Down, not Breaking Down.

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

Clifford and Mouse Hunt have both been added to netflix recently.

Clifford is one of those weird as hell 90s movies where Martin Short plays a kid who is a complete bastard because he wants to go to a dinosaur theme park.

Also The Borrowers was added which recently had an animated sequel of sorts made.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Zwabu posted:

Crossposted from other Netflix thread:

Cold Comfort Farm, bitches!

Please watch this if you are at all a fan of whimsical comedy, period pieces, and Kate Beckinsale operating at peak adorability (we're talking Meg Ryan times Audrey Hepburn levels here, folks).

Man it'd be weird seeing Beckinsale not in her Underworld leather catsuit!

Also never watch Underworld if you have your netflix account linked to your facebook one because YOU WILL GET MOCKED.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
gently caress the haters, Underworld owns. :colbert:

Also Drive is unironically one of the best movies of last year even if you think the scorpion windbreaker looks retarded.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Underworld was kind of silly but it was a fun popcorn movie, I don't know why I got it so bad :(

Agreein' about Drive too. Dig that soundtrack a lot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cornface posted:

That jacket is bombass by the way.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Just noticed a bunch of "making of" documentaries for various albums from various bands. Saw Nirvana, Steely Dan, Queen and so on. Watch Metallica's Black Album last night. Actually pretty enjoyable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Pope Mobile posted:

Just noticed a bunch of "making of" documentaries for various albums from various bands. Saw Nirvana, Steely Dan, Queen and so on. Watch Metallica's Black Album last night. Actually pretty enjoyable.

The one for Maiden's "Number of the Beast" is good too, I watched that the other day :rock:

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

RedneckwithGuns posted:

It's a good movie, regardless of how stupid some of its fans can be.

Unless you are Ryan Gosling starring in the movie Driver, then you probably shouldn't be wearing it. People wearing that jacket is the only bad thing that movie produced.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The jacket is ugly as loving poo poo, but the movie is amazing. Watch it.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Trailer Park Boys has been on Netflix Instant for awhile but I just recently started it. I'm on the final season now and my god has this become one of my favorite comedies. Really sad that I'm almost finished with it, I absolutely fell in love with the characters. Anyone who hasn't watch it yet needs to check it out, absolutely a riot.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Huh, I remember watching the Trailer Park Boys movie (without knowing there was a show behind it) a while back and being very underwhelmed. I don't know why but I did not care for it at all.

Would I still enjoy the show if I thought the movie was bland?

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.
I didn't see Don't Be Afraid of the Dark mentioned yet. It was ok, but kind of disappointing when you see "them" (trying to avoid spoilers, referring to what hangs out "in the dark"). I didn't feel like it was a waste of an hour and a half, but I am glad I didn't spend money on it in the theater.

The Perfect Host, however, was amazing. Several unexpected twists, and David Hyde Pierce is perfect in it. Highly recommended if you want something suspenseful to watch that's also written pretty well.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

MrGreenShirt posted:

Huh, I remember watching the Trailer Park Boys movie (without knowing there was a show behind it) a while back and being very underwhelmed. I don't know why but I did not care for it at all.

There are two TPB movies, one that is just a sort of 90-min mixdown of the show and the other (Countdown to Liquor Day) is a sort of epilogue. Either way if you haven't seen the show it's pretty underwhelming, because the show itself is really really funny and Countdown to Liquor day is only (fairly) funny if you know the characters.

So yeah watch from the beginning and then decide.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Merou posted:

Clifford and Mouse Hunt have both been added to netflix recently.

Clifford is one of those weird as hell 90s movies where Martin Short plays a kid who is a complete bastard because he wants to go to a dinosaur theme park.

Also The Borrowers was added which recently had an animated sequel of sorts made.

Clifford is what I show people when I want them to understand what "grotesque" means. Something about Martin Short being a child disgusts me more than a lot of things.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Pope Mobile posted:

I actually didn't like the Metallica one so much and had to shut it off. I don't think that in the early going they played or replayed any song except "Enter Sandman"

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MrGreenShirt posted:

Definitely check out the show. Watching the movie means you are missing out on a lot of already established jokes and gags that take place during the series. Check out the first season and watch from there. The show definitely gets better as it goes along.

Framptonlive
Nov 22, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Trailer Park Boys has been on Netflix Instant for awhile but I just recently started it. I'm on the final season now and my god has this become one of my favorite comedies. Really sad that I'm almost finished with it, I absolutely fell in love with the characters. Anyone who hasn't watch it yet needs to check it out, absolutely a riot.

I felt the same way, was really sad when I got to the end.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Check out the movie Fubar 2, which is also streaming. It's sort of a poor man's Trailer Park Boys in my opinion, but still very funny with some great characters.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I keep trying Trailer Park Boys and just cannot get into it.

I would like to echo some earlier love for Peep Show though. So painfully awkward and hilarious.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

raven77 posted:

I didn't see Don't Be Afraid of the Dark mentioned yet. It was ok, but kind of disappointing when you see "them" (trying to avoid spoilers, referring to what hangs out "in the dark"). I didn't feel like it was a waste of an hour and a half, but I am glad I didn't spend money on it in the theater.

The Perfect Host, however, was amazing. Several unexpected twists, and David Hyde Pierce is perfect in it. Highly recommended if you want something suspenseful to watch that's also written pretty well.

Going to agree on both of these accounts.

The Caller, pretty decent horror/thriller about a woman that moves into an apartment and starts getting pestering phone calls from an old woman looking for someone. Eventually the old woman starts getting creepy and forceful. It's not the greatest horror film but it's pretty well written and a really fun watch.

Froglight
Oct 5, 2010

I haven't seen it mentioned, but Good Guys just popped up. It went under almost everyone's radar and got cancelled but it's really really good.

It's a buddy cop comedy with Colin Hanks that is hilarious and gets into an episodic cycle of over-the-top villains and crazy shootouts. Made by the Burn Notice guy, I was seriously bummed when it got cancelled.

EDIT: I've started to watch it again, and to me this show is like an unsung Firefly...It's so good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsNpZeQJ-lA&feature=related

Froglight has a new favorite as of 07:45 on May 20, 2012

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Pretty sure The Good Guys has been about a year. Loved that show though.

The Woman has been up for a month or so and I finally got round to watching it. Wish I'd known it was part of a trilogy and I would have tried to dig up the previous movies, especially Offspring as maybe the the first half would have made more sense. The sound was really good although it went from very quiet to intensely loud and I had difficulty making out speech at times, eventually I turned on subtitles. Carlee Baker threw me and I spent the rest of the movie trying to remember where I had seen her; IMDB reminded me of the 2008 short, Blue Like You. The Woman works on several levels and anyone comfortable with uncomfortable subjects might want a closer look.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
We watched Edmond tonight, which is sort of like Falling Down with an incompetent protagonist. It wasn't particularly great, but William H. Macy makes an interesting nutjob, and the ending was a surprise.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Jibo posted:

I think you mean Falling Down, not Breaking Down.

Whoops! I did. Changed it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Also, Cold Comfort Farm is indeed a great film.

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

priznat posted:

The one for Maiden's "Number of the Beast" is good too, I watched that the other day :rock:

This one is worth watching for the Prisoner segment alone. Watching Bruce run around Portmerion was quite unexpected.

I also particularly enjoyed the Black Sabbath, Motörhead, Rush, and Deep Purples ones I found. And I will admit to enjoying the Metallica one as well

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Also, Cold Comfort Farm is indeed a great film.

I thought the "I saw something nasty in the woodshed" payoff was one of the most hilarious things I've seen in films.

I also always forget that Ian McKellen is also in it until I'm watching it again.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Zwabu posted:

I thought the "I saw something nasty in the woodshed" payoff was one of the most hilarious things I've seen in films.

British humo(u)r at its finest :swoon:

Mousehunt is a fun slapstick comedy directed by Gore Verbinski (you might remember him as the director of some films about pirates somewhere in the Caribbean) starring Nathan Lane and Lee Evans. Two brothers inherit a string factory and an empty house, the latter of which isn't as empty as they thought (Christopher Walken also stars). Rated PG.

Speaking of Gore Verbinski, another film he directed is available: The Weather Man. Nicolas Cage plays a local TV weatherman whose life loving sucks. His wife left him for another man, he only sees his kids occasionally, his father couldn't care less about him, and--to top it all off--the poor guy gets food thrown at him on a daily basis. This film is dark. Not dark as in "dark comedy," just dark. Rated R for language and general suicide-inducing bleakness.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Skeesix posted:

I actually didn't like the Metallica one so much and had to shut it off. I don't think that in the early going they played or replayed any song except "Enter Sandman"

Yeah it was the only song they played for a bit. Outside of talking about making the album and working with a producer they hated at the time, they'd focus on one song, how it started, the meaning of it to them, etc. at a time and pretty much exclusively play clips of it in the background.

Our new show to watch is X-Files. I remember being terrified of it as small child in the 90s (my mom loved this show). I blame this show, Fire in the Sky and Communion for making me scared of aliens.
Watched Season 2, Episode 5 last night. Had nightmares of being abducted and experimented on by grays. Good stuff.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Vulgar posted:

This one is worth watching for the Prisoner segment alone. Watching Bruce run around Portmerion was quite unexpected.

Haha, yes, he's quite the character. Definitely not your prototypical rock star, what with also being an airliner pilot etc. The Patrick McGoohan story made me chuckle too.

Pope Mobile posted:

Our new show to watch is X-Files. I remember being terrified of it as small child in the 90s (my mom loved this show). I blame this show, Fire in the Sky and Communion for making me scared of aliens.
Watched Season 2, Episode 5 last night. Had nightmares of being abducted and experimented on by grays. Good stuff.

Season 4, Episode 2, "Home". God drat. If anyone has seen that ep they know what I'm talkin bout!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Speaking of Gore Verbinski, another film he directed is available: The Weather Man. Nicolas Cage plays a local TV weatherman whose life loving sucks. His wife left him for another man, he only sees his kids occasionally, his father couldn't care less about him, and--to top it all off--the poor guy gets food thrown at him on a daily basis. This film is dark. Not dark as in "dark comedy," just dark. Rated R for language and general suicide-inducing bleakness.

Isn't this the movie where he wants that cake, also something about rotisserie chicken?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

WickedIcon posted:

Isn't this the movie where he wants that cake, also something about rotisserie chicken?

If by "cake" you mean "something to go right in his life for once," and by "rotisserie chicken" you mean "for his pre-teen daughter to quit smoking," then yes. Otherwise, no, that doesn't sound right.

Nyx
Mar 24, 2006

Like some cat from Japan

WickedIcon posted:

That would be The Family Man

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
So I saw that Melancholia was put up recently, and so decided to watch it. Alone. In the dark.

gently caress. :smith:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Elite Squad: The Enemy Within

Stupid title. Stupid title sequence. Amazingly kick-rear end movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1555149/criticreviews

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Just watched a show called The Ropes about a group of bouncers. It was created by Vin Diesel. It's only six episodes (technically 18 eight minute shorts) but it was pretty good. Don't know if it's a Netflix original or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I just finished the first six episodes of Terriers and holy poo poo is it fantastic. Really sad it got cancelled.

• Locked thread