Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I don't have that problem, I actually think one of the better qualities of the GNex is the voice sound quality.

One of the things I love about it is the feedback from the mic.

For lack of a better term, its what makes a lot of mobile phone users talk REALLY loving LOUD INTO THEIR PHONES because we all grew up with home phones that fed your voice back to you through the earpiece so you knew how loud you were.

Its a lot like yelling over the music in your headphones. May seem reasonable to your brain but to everyone else it sounds like you are deaf or something.

E: most if not all prior phones lacked that feedback mechanism and so everyone subconsciously thought they weren't being loud enough, resulting in obnoxiously loud assholes who didn't care to take stock of what was happening.

On the other hand, this phone seems to have borrowed the camera off my old Hero or something. What a shitshow, especially compared to my NS4G's camera. Achilles heel as far as I'm concerned though. Everything else is really nice.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

peepsalot posted:

I'm really regretting getting a Galaxy Nexus. I thought going with a Nexus was a safe bet, but every loving call I make, the person on the other end complains about the audio cutting out. Is there any chance that some firmware update is gonna fix this poo poo or is the hardware just worthless garbage?

What you are experiencing is not normal.

Try a factory reset, or get a replacement. Something is wrong with your phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lowen SoDium posted:

What you are experiencing is not normal.

Try a factory reset, or get a replacement. Something is wrong with your phone.

If you are set up with GVoice and have it make you press 1 to answer, there will be a few seconds where the call is seemingly not connected fully.

E: also the mic is on the bottom edge of the phone and thus prone in my case to get covered by a stray finger.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am so pissed. Just this week the ear speaker in our EVO 3D stopped working, the screen on the OG EVO will not come on again, and the EVO Shift is having tons of problems (holding a charge and screen will not cut on unless you slide the keyboard). I was planning to switch iPhones anyway, but I am done with HTC officially. Every phone from them has had a ton of problems. Urg!

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I had to swap in my OG EVO a few months after release because it rebooted constantly but since then it's been great for almost 2 years. v:shobon:v

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

heat posted:

I had to swap in my OG EVO a few months after release because it rebooted constantly but since then it's been great for almost 2 years. v:shobon:v

I got my evo the day they came out, and I've beat the crop out of it for over two years. Ditto with my wife. My mom has broken two charging ports.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sharkytm posted:

I got my evo the day they came out, and I've beat the crop out of it for over two years. Ditto with my wife. My mom has broken two charging ports.

You... beat the crap out of your wife for over two years? :ohdear:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

The Entire Universe posted:

You... beat the crap out of your wife for over two years? :ohdear:

Is that unusual? :confused:

Edit: you're probably not American

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

nate fisher posted:

I am so pissed. Just this week the ear speaker in our EVO 3D stopped working, the screen on the OG EVO will not come on again, and the EVO Shift is having tons of problems (holding a charge and screen will not cut on unless you slide the keyboard). I was planning to switch iPhones anyway, but I am done with HTC officially. Every phone from them has had a ton of problems. Urg!

Ditto to the other sentiments in the thread, posting this from my EVO4g actually. I've even dropped it 2 stories in my house (thank you otterbox) with no damage .

Still not sure whether to go Gnex or jump in with the new HTC4GLTE...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is that unusual? :confused:

Edit: you're probably not American

Well played. :golfclap:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Ditto to the other sentiments in the thread, posting this from my EVO4g actually. I've even dropped it 2 stories in my house (thank you otterbox) with no damage .

Still not sure whether to go Gnex or jump in with the new HTC4GLTE...

Do what most nerds (including myself) can't do: wait a month to see if there are any problems with either.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Duckman2008 posted:

Do what most nerds (including myself) can't do: wait a month to see if there are any problems with either.

Pretty much this. I am actually in no rush to switch phones at all, if the EVO4G was getting an ICS update or CM9, I would probably not even bother getting a new phone since CM7 has treated me well as it is already.

Sprint's network speeds haven't been great for me, but I really don't feel like switching carriers when my family is all on Sprint and apparently don't have any complaints about speed and such.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
So - has this happened to any other Galaxy Nexus owners? Signal appears normal, data continues to work - but all incoming calls will go straight to voice mail and texts will not be delivered. Fixes on reboot and sends your phone a flurry of texts and any pending voice mails. This happened once on my phone a couple weeks ago, and now today on my wife's. If this was more common it would be really annoying, because there is no indication your phone isn't working just by looking at it. Don't know if outgoing calls work or not when this happens.

Unrelated, is there a setting somewhere that is stopping texts larger than 160 characters from being broken up into multiple messages? I can't get them to send with either the default messenger or Handcent. And speaking of Handcent, I have it set as the default program but whenever I boot my phone up, the Messaging app pops up to helpfully tell me I have tons of new messages that Handcent has already received. Any way to get that to stop?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Unrelated, is there a setting somewhere that is stopping texts larger than 160 characters from being broken up into multiple messages? I can't get them to send with either the default messenger or Handcent.

I had this problem when I first got the phone, but I tested it out again just now (with stock Messaging) and it worked normally - as I passed 160 characters, it counted down to zero above the send button, then showed "142/2" and counted down the next series of 160 characters. Maybe its a bug in the stock ROM somehow? I'm running APEX now.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.
I am on my third HTC EVO 4G, and all three have the same reboot loop problems. I lose about an hour of functionality every day due to reboot loops, and I'm sick of it.

Yesterday, my second one got stuck looping the Spring 4G splash page and never advancing. I went to my local store to try to buy out the rest of my contract and resign to get a Galaxy Nexus for cheaper than full (Sprint plans are still pretty cheap, and I do kind of want to stay if I can just get a phone that won't gently caress up and go coma on me for an hour every day). Although the store employees said I could do so, everyone up to supervisors at Account Services says I can't. I settled for a third EVO, hoping against hope. Within two hours it was back to reboot loops, though a battery pull fixed it for now. I'm now getting Account Services and my store talking to each other to figure out who is lying to me and whether or not they can keep me from loving off to Verizon or somebody.

This is the worst poo poo ever.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pill for your ills posted:

I am on my third HTC EVO 4G, and all three have the same reboot loop problems. I lose about an hour of functionality every day due to reboot loops, and I'm sick of it.

Yesterday, my second one got stuck looping the Spring 4G splash page and never advancing. I went to my local store to try to buy out the rest of my contract and resign to get a Galaxy Nexus for cheaper than full (Sprint plans are still pretty cheap, and I do kind of want to stay if I can just get a phone that won't gently caress up and go coma on me for an hour every day). Although the store employees said I could do so, everyone up to supervisors at Account Services says I can't. I settled for a third EVO, hoping against hope. Within two hours it was back to reboot loops, though a battery pull fixed it for now. I'm now getting Account Services and my store talking to each other to figure out who is lying to me and whether or not they can keep me from loving off to Verizon or somebody.

This is the worst poo poo ever.

Did you call the retentions number from the OP? This is the only number worth calling as they are the only department that can allow you to buy up your upgrade.

If they won't do it give me a POM with your last name and cell #, i can see if i can do anything or figure out why.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

Did you call the retentions number from the OP? This is the only number worth calling as they are the only department that can allow you to buy up your upgrade.

If they won't do it give me a POM with your last name and cell #, i can see if i can do anything or figure out why.

That's what I ended up doing with my wife's phone. The store was unable to do an upgrade buyout, but retentions had no problem. It can take a few hours for the system to recognize the upgrade being available.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Unrelated, is there a setting somewhere that is stopping texts larger than 160 characters from being broken up into multiple messages? I can't get them to send with either the default messenger or Handcent. And speaking of Handcent, I have it set as the default program but whenever I boot my phone up, the Messaging app pops up to helpfully tell me I have tons of new messages that Handcent has already received. Any way to get that to stop?

On Chomp, it has a setting in sms/mms networks>mobile carrier settings>cdma network split for that. I know there's a setting on Handcent too, I just don't remember how to get to it. But there's an option somewhere in there for splitting long messages.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

Duckman2008 posted:

I guess I finally bitched enough, because I got the retention people talking to the associate with whom I was dealing yesterday, and through the process the woman from corporate (Tracey Wheeler, some office in Texas) learned that the employees at my local branch were promising early buyouts to customers who apparently aren't eligible, i.e. me. I sat in on the call between them, and she sounded very irritated with the associate. After learning that this was happening, she finally relented and promised a "one-time" contract reset for tomorrow (can't do it on a Sunday, natch), at which time I could upgrade at some cost between $60-100.

Depending on the outcome of my adventures tomorrow, I might make use of your services, Duckman. Is this really the sort of circus I must perform in to get this kind of help, or have I been given an unusually wild runaround?

e: I think I want an Epic 4G Touch. Should I?

pill for your ills fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 20, 2012

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Duckman I had a few questions for you on behalf of my parents. My dad has a lovely dumbphone (I don't remember what it is but he's been having nothing but problems with it for the last few weeks) and he's finally fed up and decided to get a refurb Nexus S off ebay (He's older and typically is the free phone type so paying $150 was about his max). My question is should or can he get device protection for it? Also my mother is the primary of the account and has an upgrade next month (I think it was a premier thing before they shut it down), could she use her upgrade to get him a new phone? My dad's line still has 11 months left before an upgrade. Would she then be able to get an upgrade in 11 months?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pill for your ills posted:

I guess I finally bitched enough, because I got the retention people talking to the associate with whom I was dealing yesterday, and through the process the woman from corporate (Tracey Wheeler, some office in Texas) learned that the employees at my local branch were promising early buyouts to customers who apparently aren't eligible, i.e. me. I sat in on the call between them, and she sounded very irritated with the associate. After learning that this was happening, she finally relented and promised a "one-time" contract reset for tomorrow (can't do it on a Sunday, natch), at which time I could upgrade at some cost between $60-100.

Depending on the outcome of my adventures tomorrow, I might make use of your services, Duckman. Is this really the sort of circus I must perform in to get this kind of help, or have I been given an unusually wild runaround?

e: I think I want an Epic 4G Touch. Should I?

Eh, its a grey area as whether we SHOULD be telling people, but overall in your case its a warranted retention offer for Sprint.

Once you're eligible I can hook you up with a phone, I will say the Epic Touch is getting long in tooth and I honestly doubt I have the best pricing on it. That being said, I recommend either the Evo LTE or Galaxy Nexus, which is $199 through me if you want to do that. Issue there is the Evo isn't yet launched and the GNex is backordered nationwide. So it would just be a matter of when i can reorder them.

You can get a $70 trade in with your Evo, or sell it online for $100-150.

ehonna_disco
Apr 26, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Apparently some of the HTC phones held up by customs are moving out. God I hope one of those is my Evo LTE.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I'm waiting on one too, but I'm starting to doubt it some, with all the One X issues that have been popping up. Then again, I could probably sell it new in box at some sort of premium and then wait another month for any initial kinks to get worked out. (And maybe even pick it up used and save some more cash).

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Howdy thread.

I'm currently at the end of a 2 yr-contract with Sprint and qualify for their $150 off deal. I've been running around with a rumor touch, which honestly does everything I could ever want a phone to. However, I would like to modernize slightly to have a phone that does internet better and possibly store music on.

The two big phones by Sprint right now seem to be the Galaxy Nexus and new EVO, but even with my discounts they look like they're going to be $200. From reading reviews online, it seems like all current models are basically trying to live up to these standards, but unless you get the top model, you're just going to get a shitter version that has drawbacks that hinder it's primary function as a phone.

Are there any cheaper alternatives that work fine that still have decent internet/music playin abilities? I'm noticing things like the iPhone 4 8gb that's roughly a hundred less.

EatinCake fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 20, 2012

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

EatinCake posted:

Howdy thread.

I'm currently at the end of a 2 yr-contract with Sprint and qualify for their $150 off deal. I've been running around with a rumor touch, which honestly does everything I could ever want a phone to. However, I would like to modernize slightly to have a phone that does internet better and possibly store music on.

The two big phones by Sprint right now seem to be the Galaxy Nexus and new EVO, but even with my discounts they look like they're going to be $200. From reading reviews online, it seems like all current models are basically trying to live up to these standards, but unless you get the top model, you're just going to get a shitter version that has drawbacks that hinder it's primary function as a phone.

Are there any cheaper alternatives that work fine that still have decent internet/music playin abilities? I'm noticing things like the iPhone 4 8gb that's roughly a hundred less.

Buy a used Evo, or the Samsung galaxy two or something. Cheap enough, and you get to retain the upgrade until you want to buy the latest and greatest.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Through more investigation, I found the Galaxy Nexus on amazon wireless for only $100. Are there any real drawbacks to going through them instead of Sprint's store to save the hundred?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

EatinCake posted:

Through more investigation, I found the Galaxy Nexus on amazon wireless for only $100. Are there any real drawbacks to going through them instead of Sprint's store to save the hundred?

You'll have two etf's if you cancel, and you can't use Amazon if you have eprp.

\/\/\/ Oops, sorry.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 21, 2012

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

sharkytm posted:

You'll have two etf's if you cancel, and you can't use Amazon if you have eprp.
No, Amazon will not impose their own ETF for Sprint phones. See my post here.

Note that if you use the phone at all, you won't be able to return it to Amazon. This is in direct contrast to the policies when buy directly from Sprint. So be sure to know that you want what you're getting.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
From what I've read the phone looks perfect for what I'm looking for. This is quite the tangle web of terms & agreements though.

So can I let the contract expire and buy the phone as a new Sprint customer? I know the renewal discount on their site promises either 150 off or new customer price, whatevers cheaper. If I buy it as a returning it's $50 more for some reason.

Here's what I'm lookin at specifically; AmazonWireless: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

You can't simply become a new Sprint customer. I'm fairly certain that there's a 6-month waiting period after you terminate an account. You can't immediately create a new Sprint account.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

You can't simply become a new Sprint customer. I'm fairly certain that there's a 6-month waiting period after you terminate an account. You can't immediately create a new Sprint account.

You can't activate on EPRP, but if he wants to get new customer pricing as a new new sprint customer, add a line first then cancel the other line (and port to Google voice to keep your number).

Its false churn, but if someone wants to do it they can't really stop you.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Now HTC is saying one of the phone models passed customs review but they don't say which one. They actually say they don't know which one but let's be serious.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

heat posted:

Now HTC is saying one of the phone models passed customs review but they don't say which one. They actually say they don't know which one but let's be serious.

They are serious. They honestly don't know. All the boxes are marked the same. They also don't want to admit that they can't even tell their models apart.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'm not surprised. Where I work we've had stuff be held at customs for inspection and often we are told that X pallets were released, but not which ones were released.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
While people are bombarding you with questions, Duckman, I have one.

My birthday is in August. I want to buy a Galaxy Nexus as a gift for myself. Problem is, my upgrade eligibility date is September.

Will the early upgrade cancellation thing IOwnCalculus posted on page 236 prevent Retentions from bumping my eligibility up a month unless I buy the contract out, or is that still something they'd be allowed to do? (My current phone was purchased when upgrade eligibility was still at the 22-month line, if that matters any.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Technogeek posted:

While people are bombarding you with questions, Duckman, I have one.

My birthday is in August. I want to buy a Galaxy Nexus as a gift for myself. Problem is, my upgrade eligibility date is September.

Will the early upgrade cancellation thing IOwnCalculus posted on page 236 prevent Retentions from bumping my eligibility up a month unless I buy the contract out, or is that still something they'd be allowed to do? (My current phone was purchased when upgrade eligibility was still at the 22-month line, if that matters any.)

Old policy: You would have been able to upgrade August 18th, no extra charges

new policy: if you want to upgrade early you have to buy the remainder of the ETF (at that point would be about $30).

So yeah, wait till September unfortunately.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
To give Sprint and TEP credit they replaced my Shift and 3D for free. They fixed my screen on the OG EVO, but 24 hours later the charging port broke for the 3rd time.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Thank you Duckman :allears:

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 22, 2012

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
To not give Sprint (who wouldn't just replace the loudspeaker on my OG EVO, they wanted to swap the entire phone) any credit at all, the magnet trick works awesome for clearing the rear loudspeaker on the Evo. Just open the case (simple as poo poo), and remove the speaker, then drop is from ~3 inches onto a hard drive magnet (foam side down).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

To not give Sprint (who wouldn't just replace the loudspeaker on my OG EVO, they wanted to swap the entire phone) any credit at all, the magnet trick works awesome for clearing the rear loudspeaker on the Evo. Just open the case (simple as poo poo), and remove the speaker, then drop is from ~3 inches onto a hard drive magnet (foam side down).

That's actually pretty interesting and good to know. Fyi usually we won't swap parts because we don't have them. Seriously, if it isn't a rumor touch or regular Evo screen only, we don't have the parts.