Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I blame your country's maybe-public postal guys. I personally solved my problem by getting free wheels from someone else, so there. :)

Those late-90s Legacy GT snowflake wheels are totally cool as hell and you should get 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I blame your country's maybe-public postal guys. I personally solved my problem by getting free wheels from someone else, so there. :)

Those late-90s Legacy GT snowflake wheels are totally cool as hell and you should get 'em.

It kind of blew my mind how much hassle it would have been to ship stuff to the great white north. And then I read Sock's thread and felt very happy to be an American car-parts-purchaser full-stop. Good lord. Of course, we had about 1" of snow all season in Kansas and then the tornadoes set in, so it would be kind of fun to live up there and get to occasionally use the AWD.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I have yet to use the AWD in over 3years :3:

What do I know about Subarus? I have yet to even drive one of my own.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

Sockington posted:

I have yet to use the AWD in over 3years :3:

What do I know about Subarus? I have yet to even drive one of my own.

I was speaking more to your parts buying experiences with (I think?) the Mazda than to your Subaru specialty, but that's the saddest thing :smith:. AWD is fun in the snow, especially for slow cars like mine. I even got winter tires after a long, cold, snowy winter last year but we got bubkis this time. Stupid Kansas.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Dirt is kind of like snow, except for when you crash in snow on an old logging road miles from home you're eaten by wolves after your central nervous system fails.

Sock, don't worry about never having driven a Subaru before yours. Once you get it out on the road, you'll be throwing away all the other inferior Japanese cars in order to methodically replace them with Gunma's finest redneck engineering. :v:

Seriously though: Americans should definitely feel privileged at what they can order. When I go down to Montana I easily blow a grand in advance on car parts from Amazon US, RockAuto, Tire Rack, etc, just because I'm saving between $20-400 in shipping and customs fees per package (some things are completely unavailable in Canada too). And that's before outfits like UPS charge you their own "border handling fee" which I've had exceed the original shipping cost of the object. I really wish our shipping were cheaper but it's probably not feasible to do so considering our country is physically bigger and much more sparsely populated than the US.

When I pick them up from a shipping warehouse near the border I save enough money that someone in Lethbridge (hint) could easily make an entire business out of it, provided they could keep people from trying to smuggle across the border.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 20, 2012

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

our country is physically bigger

Fightin words. :clint:

Seriously, though, the one redeeming feature of living in middle-of-nowhere Kansas is the fact that everything is connected by sparsely populated dirt roads. And because in my imagination Canadia is the same way, just with a permanent foot of snow, I acknowledge your superiority.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I have a 2009 WRX and I need to add some gear oil to it, I'm going to use 75/90 GL-5, but should I use synthetic or regular? The car has whatever comes stock in the gear oil, but I'm not sure if it's synthetic or not because the manual doesn't say.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mostly the local Subaru club, though I'm sure NASIOC has no end of them.
:downs: how did I not think of that?

How much do you want for the snowflakes, Jabberwocky? I'm in Colorado, so it hopefully shouldn't be too terrible shipping them.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

:downs: how did I not think of that?

How much do you want for the snowflakes, Jabberwocky? I'm in Colorado, so it hopefully shouldn't be too terrible shipping them.

They're basically just taking up space. I don't want much for them if you will cover shipping. You can email me if you want at maxarinkel at gmail.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The Jabberwocky posted:

Fightin words. :clint:

Seriously, though, the one redeeming feature of living in middle-of-nowhere Kansas is the fact that everything is connected by sparsely populated dirt roads. And because in my imagination Canadia is the same way, just with a permanent foot of snow, I acknowledge your superiority.

What part of Kansas? I just moved to Wichita.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

toplitzin posted:

What part of Kansas? I just moved to Wichita.

Pittsburg. The very Southeast corner. It's where my wife grew up. I lived in the suburbs of KCK growing up and went to college in Lawrence. I can't say I've spent much time in Wichita, though.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The Jabberwocky posted:

Pittsburg. The very Southeast corner. It's where my wife grew up. I lived in the suburbs of KCK growing up and went to college in Lawrence. I can't say I've spent much time in Wichita, though.

Sounds fun. I've been keeping an eye out on all the local SCAA events and there are quite a few either here (old airport once a month) or down into Tulsa at the track.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Here are some pictures of my wife and I at the Subaru Convention in New Orleans today. Also in photos, some guys named David Mirra and Sverre Isachsen who are Subaru drivers or something...

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Welp, my 2006 WRX is spraying coolant, but I can't figure out where. Problem started yesterday when I went to the store yesterday and smelled fantastic maple syrup. A little research into that smell today lead me to believe it might be a coolant enough, and sure enough when I opened my hood it looked like someone had slaughtered a Predator under my hood. Coolant tank was low but not empty, and I haven't noticed any stains on my driveway.

I can't seem to isolate the leak, so I filled the coolant reservoir and ran/revved the car for a bit and still couldn't see anything spraying, leaking, or dripping. It almost seems like its spraying from the radiator cap, as the splatters look like they're moving away from that but I really cant tell. It was parked then, and when I drove it back to work from the store it looked like it had freshly sprayed again, but not a lot so I'm really not sure.

I'd love to avoid taking it in to Subaru this weekend, not sure if its a bad idea to wait that long even.

Everything else seems fine, no overheating, AC is working, etc. Any ideas?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Iron Lung posted:

Welp, my 2006 WRX is spraying coolant, but I can't figure out where. Problem started yesterday when I went to the store yesterday and smelled fantastic maple syrup. A little research into that smell today lead me to believe it might be a coolant enough, and sure enough when I opened my hood it looked like someone had slaughtered a Predator under my hood. Coolant tank was low but not empty, and I haven't noticed any stains on my driveway.

I can't seem to isolate the leak, so I filled the coolant reservoir and ran/revved the car for a bit and still couldn't see anything spraying, leaking, or dripping. It almost seems like its spraying from the radiator cap, as the splatters look like they're moving away from that but I really cant tell. It was parked then, and when I drove it back to work from the store it looked like it had freshly sprayed again, but not a lot so I'm really not sure.

I'd love to avoid taking it in to Subaru this weekend, not sure if its a bad idea to wait that long even.

Everything else seems fine, no overheating, AC is working, etc. Any ideas?

I was going to suggest the cap. Did you try just letting it idle for 20 minutes with the Hood up?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

daslog posted:

I was going to suggest the cap. Did you try just letting it idle for 20 minutes with the Hood up?

I didn't. A coworker and I ran up to the store to grab some root-beer float supplies (its 102 today!) and we just ran it for a few minutes before we headed back. I can leave it running on idle when I get home for awhile, should I just be looking for bubbling/spraying from the cap if that ends up being the culprit? Do I just need a replacement cap if that ends up being the issue?

Hopefully it's that easy, plus it gives me an excuse to clean my engine bay!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Iron Lung posted:

I didn't. A coworker and I ran up to the store to grab some root-beer float supplies (its 102 today!) and we just ran it for a few minutes before we headed back. I can leave it running on idle when I get home for awhile, should I just be looking for bubbling/spraying from the cap if that ends up being the culprit? Do I just need a replacement cap if that ends up being the issue?

Hopefully it's that easy, plus it gives me an excuse to clean my engine bay!

Yes, look for spraying from the cap. The cap can sometimes look like it's on, but not be seated correctly. Hopefully, this is your issue. If it is fully seated, and starts spraying water, I'd start with a New cap,as they are fairly cheap.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The stock radiator is very prone to cracking where the plastic endtanks are crimped on. I see it happen a lot this time of year.

I am still on the fence about mishimoto but they do make an inexpensive all aluminum radiator and they ship for free. Koyo makes a nicer one that costs about $100 more.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

daslog posted:

Here are some pictures of my wife and I at the Subaru Convention in New Orleans today. Also in photos, some guys named David Mirra and Sverre Isachsen who are Subaru drivers or something...

Is there any chance this convention will be going on the 26th / 27th? I'll be in New Orleans that weekend.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Safety Dance posted:

Is there any chance this convention will be going on the 26th / 27th? I'll be in New Orleans that weekend.

No it ends Wed morning. We get the drive the new BRZ at NOLA racetrack, and we also get to ride around the track with a professional driver.

Should be interesting.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

jamal posted:

The stock radiator is very prone to cracking where the plastic endtanks are crimped on. I see it happen a lot this time of year.

I am still on the fence about mishimoto but they do make an inexpensive all aluminum radiator and they ship for free. Koyo makes a nicer one that costs about $100 more.

Ah, hopefully its just the cap. Anyway to check to see if the radiator is cracked without pulling it out? I'm fine with paying for quality if the Koyo is the way to go. Is it easy for a home install? I have access to the stuff to get my car completely off the ground, unless I just need the front up. Found a write-up on iwsti.com and it doesn't look too bad.

Start with idling it for awhile and watching the cap and go from there? I might shoot you an email! Thanks.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah once the system is warm enough to build pressure you will be able to see the leak. We had a little hand pump that attached to the radiator cap, which was nice because you could pressurize the system without having the coolant 200+ degrees. They might have something like that you can borrow at an autozone or something.

Changing the radiator is pretty simple, just don't forget to unplug/plug back in the fans, and get yourself a really big drip pan to avoid making a huge mess (you will still make a mess). Also you'll want a big funnel that fits into the upper reservoir to making bleeding the coolant easier.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 21, 2012

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

jamal posted:

Yeah once the system is warm enough to build pressure you will be able to see the leak. We had a little hand pump that attached to the radiator cap, which was nice because you could pressurize the system without having the coolant 200+ degrees. They might have something like that you can borrow at an autozone or something.

Changing the radiator is pretty simple, just don't forget to unplug/plug back in the fans, and get yourself a really big drip pan to avoid making a huge mess (you will still make a mess). Also you'll want a big funnel that fits into the upper reservoir to making bleeding the coolant easier.

If it turns out not to be the cap and its the radiator/hose and my car isn't overheating, think I'm ok to wait until the weekend to get it fixed or should I try to take it in sooner?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Depends how much you're driving and how badly it leaks. If you only take short trips and keep a gallon of water in the car you should be okay. I wouldn't try to sit in freeway traffic for an hour on a hot day though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

I think my Koyo has a pinhole leak after 6months, so I'm not sure I'd be recommending them at the moment.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Just posting this because I'm addicted to (and in love with) my ridiculous station-truck.

To anyone on the fence about buying a Subaru, do it and don't look back.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 22, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Subarus really are underrated tow machines. I moved my whole house last weekend with my WRX - three trailer loads of furniture and boxes without a hiccup.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Chucking an entire assembled bookshelf in my WRX wagon is a popular story when I'm trying to sell people on buying a Subaru. I'm not sure I'd fit a hitch to it though.

I'm basically doing an entire house move with two Impreza wagons next month so we'll see if it gets easier with two.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I added a tow package to the TS wagon:
- 4piston front, 2piston rear brakes with stainless flex lines
- uprated springs and shocks
- oversized transmission cooler
- aluminium radiator
- stitch welded chassis

It was purely for towing purposes. :3:

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

jamal posted:

I bought a Mishimoto from jamal, but haven't had a chance to install it.
It looks really good, and its nicely packed in the box.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Sockington posted:

I added a tow package to the TS wagon:
- 4piston front, 2piston rear brakes with stainless flex lines
- uprated springs and shocks
- oversized transmission cooler
- aluminium radiator
- stitch welded chassis

It was purely for towing purposes. :3:

Where did you get your brake package from? Thats the next thing on my list.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

blindjoe posted:

Where did you get your brake package from? Thats the next thing on my list.

Most :canada: JDM dealers have them kicking about.

TorontoJDM, etc. Plenty of dealers in the area.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

I'm not sure I'd fit a hitch to it though.

It's a great thing to have around for random uses. I took a trailer to Michigan to pick up my motorcycle, have grabbed a u-haul trailer to run loads of brush to the dump, moving, and I've even used it to haul around my dad's boat.

If we can get rid of enough stuff before then we may even use it to tow a trailer from WI to CA when we move.

GETCHA PAPER UP
Apr 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there any consensus on a good hitch for the 11+ sedans? I keep seeing a lot of stuff about fitment issues with the exhaust.

edit: Any that don't require trimming?

GETCHA PAPER UP fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 23, 2012

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Well, new Koyo radiator is on the way thanks to Jamal. Looking forward to not filling up my coolant tank every night! Luckily the temp is dropping down to the 80s this weekend, which will make the install a little more bearable. Anyone want a cracked 2006 wrx radiator?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The only thing about the Koyo is the main hoses are a bit of a bitch since the radiator is wider and there's less clearance.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
I'm being overly anxious about my PS pump. As mentioned earlier, I let some air into the system when I changed my drivebelts, but can't clear the bubbles because the hoses are shot, and have (at least) a pinhole leak somewhere. I've got some coming in the mail, but is there anything I should be doing in the meantime to keep from damaging the pump? It seems to drive ok, but holy cow it's noisy. (I've swapped hose clamps and swapped the fluid out already, for the record.)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

On your car is the fluid reservoir right on the pump itself or over on the side behind the headlight?

If it's on the side that line from the tank to the pump is where the air is coming in. A new hose, new clamps, and the o-ring on the pump inlet will fix it. To get by you can go to a parts store or whatever and pick up some worm drive clamps which will do a better job sealing the hose.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

jamal posted:

On your car is the fluid reservoir right on the pump itself or over on the side behind the headlight?

If it's on the side that line from the tank to the pump is where the air is coming in. A new hose, new clamps, and the o-ring on the pump inlet will fix it. To get by you can go to a parts store or whatever and pick up some worm drive clamps which will do a better job sealing the hose.

Yeah it's just to the side of the actual pump. I've got new OEM clamps and hoses coming in the mail, and have hose clamps on the connections for now. Will it damage anything to drive it like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monstertruck
Aug 13, 2011
Got my lightbar installed today. Its pretty hairy drilling 1.5" holes in your bumper, but with a little coaxing it all went well. 4 Hella 700FFs going in tomorrow (if they make it here on time).

Monstertruck fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 24, 2012