Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

niss posted:

Are you married to a gas grill? If not a weber kettle, and some lump charcoal is amazing. I'd recommend a Big Green Egg (can't live without mine), but I think that is a bit over your price range.

I really would prefer a gas grill I think. I'm not opposed to going charcoal, but the significant other is not a fan of charcoal :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

DoctaFun posted:

I hear you Mr. Executive, I walked through a bunch of different stores and everything is 'STAINLESS STEEL, 5 BURNERS PLUS SIDE BURNER PLUS REFRIDGERATOR', but then I actually interact with the grill and the hood wobbles as it opens and it looks like one Minnesota winter will rust the whole grill out. I tell you what though, go fiddle with one of the Weber Genesis grills and you can just feel the quality. It feels like that thing could survive a nuclear bomb...

Thanks for the tips Enigma, I was mainly looking at the 3 burner models in the Spirit and Genesis line. The Genesis line feels a lot sturdier, although the spirit grills still felt better than anything else Lowe's had, and look/felt pretty good in their own right. The one thing I don't like about the spirit is the knobs on the side. I would much prefer to have knobs on the front so I can set plates and things on both sides.

I don't really want anything bigger than 3 burner, I don't want a sear burner or side burner either, it seems all those extra's run you another $100 per, and I just don't think I'd use them very often. This is the one I was looking at.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_221890-505-6519099_4294936849+4294963688_4294937087_?productId=3284708&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl_Weber_4294936849%2B4294963688_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%
7C1&facetInfo=Weber

It's one of those things where if I buy it I know I will be very happy with it for years to come, but in the short term it's a lot of money. Maybe I'll just sell some of my extra golf clubs to fund it :smith:.

Is there really not a grill thread though? I figured there'd be one somewhere.

In a long and strange story, my landlord had to replace my old grill. This is the one they got me as a replacement a few months ago. I'm loving it so far. It holds heat very well and gets hot enough to give steaks a nice sear. I've also had it going 15 -20 minutes for some brauts at a low heat with one burner - the thermometer in the hood said it was holding at about 230F. Easy to clean, and feels much sturdier than most other similar grills (including my old one).

If it matters to you, it was fairly easy to put together by one person with a spinal fusion - took me about an hour, but I was going at my own pace.

Plus, it has this scale you hook your tank into that lets you know when it gets empty. That thing is loving genius.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Voodoofly posted:

In a long and strange story, my landlord had to replace my old grill. This is the one they got me as a replacement a few months ago. I'm loving it so far. It holds heat very well and gets hot enough to give steaks a nice sear. I've also had it going 15 -20 minutes for some brauts at a low heat with one burner - the thermometer in the hood said it was holding at about 230F. Easy to clean, and feels much sturdier than most other similar grills (including my old one).

If it matters to you, it was fairly easy to put together by one person with a spinal fusion - took me about an hour, but I was going at my own pace.

Plus, it has this scale you hook your tank into that lets you know when it gets empty. That thing is loving genius.

This is great to hear, thanks for chiming in. I've read a lot of reviews for cheaper grills and it seems the common theme is, "Grill can only be hot and hotter." The cheaper grills seem to have a harder time cooking with lower heat, which is something I would like to be able to do.

You must have either had a really nice previous grill, or you have a very friendly landlord if he's buying you one of these! I read about the scale thing too and now I'm wondering why I've never seen that before on another grill.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Now that Weber does look like a nice solid grid, but it costs $700. This is what I'm talking about. There is no reason on earth why that grill should cost $400+ more than the variety of $200-$300 flimsy shits out there. I was looking for something around $300 and absolutely nothing solid exists. Also, that Weber does look a little small. I have a pretty big 4 burner and I often run out of room when grilling because I mostly use the grill when I have groups of people over to my house.

As for cooking at low temps, it is kinda tricky with my grill. However, it's easy enough to do with indirect heat. I smoked a brisket in my grill for 8 hours last summer and I was pretty easily able to maintain 210-220 degrees. I just had one of the 4 burners going with a pan of wood chips sitting on top (I took out the grates). And then I rigged up a system where I could float the brisket on the little top shelf warming rack thing.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I have the weber spirit, which I think I got for around $379. Cast iron grates. 3 burners. It really is fantastic.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

DoctaFun posted:

You must have either had a really nice previous grill, or you have a very friendly landlord if he's buying you one of these! I read about the scale thing too and now I'm wondering why I've never seen that before on another grill.

I had a B-B-Q Galore brand nice grill that I bought for like 70% off on some New Years day sale. My landlord didn't need to know what I actually spent on it. I was pretty happy with the replacement. Besides, it was the Landlord's fault that I needed a new one, so I don't think they were going to squabble.

On the other hand, I do sort of agree with some of the people in this thread - it is a very well made grill, but it is very expensive for what it does. I am happy with mine, but I don't know if I would have spent the money on it myself. I don't know how urgent you are, but I would definitely recommend waiting to see if you could get it on sale.

Edit: As for the scale thing, I have no idea why it isn't on every grill. I had never seen one before either, but the thing is magic. No more worrying about running out of gas with twenty people over for a tiki torch cookout.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 18, 2012

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Or you could just keep two tanks around. When one goes empty flip them out and fill the other tank at your leisure.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Protip: buy a propane tank and refill it at a gas place, don't do the blue rhino swap out thing cause it costs more and they don't fill them all the way anyway.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

ThreeFish posted:

I saw a few people ask about mandolines and thought I'd recommend the one I bought off Amazon a few months ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Swissmar-Borner-V-1001-V-Slicer-Mandoline/dp/B0000632QE

I love it. It's super sharp (I lost the top quarter inch of my thumb on first use and it didn't even bleed- the cut was that clean!) and it's got a few interchangeable blades. All the stuff fits nicely together in the case. The instructions are in both English and German, but the English instructions aren't as in-depth as the German instructions. Luckily, there are also handy diagrams and pictures.

I am very happy with it. I have to admit that my only other mandoline experience was with a Walmart cheapo one I tried about 10 years ago. I threw it away within the first week. This mandoline is like, a million times better than that.

Hope this helps someone, since there wasn't a whole lot said about mandoline recommendations.
I have to disagree. I can't imagine a good professional kitchen that isn't using Benriner mandolines. That's the one you want.

I don't mean to be a prick - the one you like is probably okay for home use. But any restaurant I've been in uses nothing but the Benriners without a second thought.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

No Wave posted:

I have to disagree. I can't imagine a good professional kitchen that isn't using Benriner mandolines. That's the one you want.

I don't mean to be a prick - the one you like is probably okay for home use. But any restaurant I've been in uses nothing but the Benriners without a second thought.
I don't mean to be a prick, but have you ever actually tried a Borner mandoline?

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

No Wave posted:

I work in a pretty decent restaurant and we use a Borner.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This needs to be settled by a duel. Not a cooking duel, a duel to the death using the mandolines of your choosing.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Any real kitchen is using one of these :colbert:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SubG posted:

I don't mean to be a prick, but have you ever actually tried a Borner mandoline?
No - I apologize. If it's really that good then nm.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

niss posted:

Are you married to a gas grill? If not a weber kettle, and some lump charcoal is amazing. I'd recommend a Big Green Egg (can't live without mine), but I think that is a bit over your price range.

This. I have a Weber Performer and a Large Big Green Egg. The Weber is ready to cook in about 20 minutes...so easy with the gas starter feature.

Death to gas grills :argh:

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

i love how it says "customers who bought this item also bought" and then it's 90% protective gloves

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Don't you guys just lift the tank to see how full it is? Rapping on it with a wrench also works pretty well.

I don't think you are ever going to find a decent gas grill anywhere near the price point of a decent charcoal grill. Other then the oven, a gas grill is more or less a stove and I am pretty sure you are never going to find a good stove for $300.

My issue with buying a charcoal grill is that while I have the skills and tools to make a badass grill (and have before), i have never actually gotten around to doing it. So I buy cheap grills and dream.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I was once young and naive like you

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437762&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=49#post397901447

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
Just bought a Smokenator 1000 kit plus hinged stainless grate. Also, a Spyderco sharpener kit and bench stone. In 3-4 days, my quality of life will roughly double.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Your response is really linking one dude making a joke? Am I missing something?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

pork never goes bad posted:

Your response is really linking one dude making a joke? Am I missing something?
yes, a lot

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Anybody used tojiro knives in the past? I'm looking at knives for a graduation gift (want a 10 inch, a carver, and maybe a 6 inch utility) and I ran across this:

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro-hammered-black/carbon-steel-chefs-knife-p117822

It's on a great sale right now and just looks awesome. I don't like the look of the shun as much and I have never seen a tojiro in person to see how it handles. Any thoughts?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It pains me to ask, but my wife refuses to use my stainless steel tri-ply cookware. Can anyone recommend a dishwasher safe, nonstick cookware set?

Nothing super high end, but not wal-mart level crap either. I wanted to get her the Costco Hard Anodized set, but it's not dishwasher safe... and when she cooks she wants dishwasher safe and non stick.

I already have a nice set of Emeril Pro-Clad and a couple extra Tri-Ply pieces of other brands, but she hates cooking on stainless steel and prefers to be able to throw the pans in the dishwasher. She's already cranky about my Henckels having to be hand washed, so the dishwasher safe would be really nice. I would like to spend about no more than 300 on a nice basic set of cookware. I've looked and haven't found much, at this point I might just get the Costco Hard Anodized and wash them myself.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't it just be easier to get a new wife?

mystes
May 31, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Can anyone recommend a dishwasher safe, nonstick cookware set?
Isn't anything nonstick going to have a coating that won't be dishwasher safe?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Wouldn't it just be easier to get a new wife?

It would be easier to teach her how to cook with stainless...but I need to keep her around for a while. I've got a 26 month old and 4 month old, so the wife comes in handy.

mystes posted:

Isn't anything nonstick going to have a coating that won't be dishwasher safe?

There are some sets out there that are supposed to be safe for the dishwasher. She currently uses a cheap set of T-Fal pans we got from Wal-Mart years ago, but the teflon is flaking off on them and need to be replaced pronto.

I've found the Calphalon Unison which is supposedly dishwasher safe, but I'm not spending more on her pans than I did mine.

The Cuisinart DSA-11 might fit the bill... I'm going to try to find some reviews. The 199 list price doesn't inspire confidence in me though.

I have a feeling that I'll just have to handwash the things. I've been updating all our busted cheap kitchen stuff over the last year to quality pieces that should give us many years of good service, but the tradeoff is is you have to take care of them. She just shakes her head at me when I pull out a nice knife or use BKF on the stainless pans.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wel people seem to like the Cuisinart lines, and they're more reasonably priced than All Clad, so maybe give those a shot.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Do you really need a whole set, or would she be good with a few specific pots/pans. If so, I'd recommend the Calphalon Contemporary line http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Contemporary-Nonstick-11-Piece-Cookware/dp/B003WTBHSU. It's hard anodized and the non-stickiness holds up very well. My wife bought me this griddle http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Contemporary-Nonstick-11-Inch-Griddle/dp/B0000936K2/ref=pd_sim_k_4 like 6 years and it is still pretty non-stick with a decent amount of use over the years. A couple years ago we got most of the rest of the set of this stuff and it's all held up great. We hand wash most of the stuff now, but we always just threw the griddle in the dishwasher without any problems at all. The best part is that we got all of this stuff at Marshal's for really cheap. They carry the individual pieces in this line for like half the price of Amazon or anywhere else. For example, I think the saute pans were like $30. The big rear end sauce pot was like $40 and the smaller pot was like $30. You could build a small set of the essential pots and pans for <$200 including lids. Every Marshal's around me (Madison, WI) carries a fuckload of this stuff too, so it shouldn't be hard to find them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Pikey posted:

Anybody used tojiro knives in the past? I'm looking at knives for a graduation gift (want a 10 inch, a carver, and maybe a 6 inch utility) and I ran across this:

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro-hammered-black/carbon-steel-chefs-knife-p117822

It's on a great sale right now and just looks awesome. I don't like the look of the shun as much and I have never seen a tojiro in person to see how it handles. Any thoughts?
I own several Tojiro knives and I like them just fine. They're pretty much what converted me from preferring the heavier German-style knives (which I used to use exclusively) to the lighter Japanese-style knives. If you've only ever used heavier knives before it's something to keep in mind---it might not be your thing---but other than that I can't think of any warnings or anything like that.

That being said, for the price of the Tojiros you linked you could pick up a Moritaka of the same size, and I'd take a Moritaka over a Tojiro pretty much any day.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You haven't met our dishwashers. Those are the only mandolines they haven't figured out how to ruin. And even then, they're trying. Bits of carrot stuck in the julienne blades? RAM THIS HERE SCRAPER INTO THE BLADE.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I know, I'm just messing around. The Bron really is pretty awesome.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You haven't met our dishwashers. Those are the only mandolines they haven't figured out how to ruin. And even then, they're trying. Bits of carrot stuck in the julienne blades? RAM THIS HERE SCRAPER INTO THE BLADE.
Not sure why you're handing your blades to the dishwashers but whatever guy!!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My biggest complaint with the Bron is that it's loud. I imagine that wouldn't matter in a commercial kitchen, but I found it unpleasant.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

No Wave posted:

Not sure why you're handing your blades to the dishwashers but whatever guy!!!

When your yearly numbers are in the tens of millions, nobody cares if you buy a new mandoline every 3-6mos, it's cheaper than wasting your cooks' time cleaning easily replaceable tools. We go through omelet pans like crazy here, usually but 12 new pans every other month.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My biggest complaint with the Bron is that it's loud. I imagine that wouldn't matter in a commercial kitchen, but I found it unpleasant.

Yeah, it's pretty quiet when you compare it to the noise from a steamer, steam kettles, convection ovens, etc.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004

SubG posted:

I own several Tojiro knives and I like them just fine. They're pretty much what converted me from preferring the heavier German-style knives (which I used to use exclusively) to the lighter Japanese-style knives. If you've only ever used heavier knives before it's something to keep in mind---it might not be your thing---but other than that I can't think of any warnings or anything like that.

That being said, for the price of the Tojiros you linked you could pick up a Moritaka of the same size, and I'd take a Moritaka over a Tojiro pretty much any day.

I have a 8 inch global chef's knife whic I love because its so light. I essentially just want a 10 inch for large produce chopping to get more uniform cuts with the deeper blade. Where are you seeing moritaka knives for that cheap? I can't find any ~10 inch knifes for less thank 200

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Pikey posted:

I have a 8 inch global chef's knife whic I love because its so light. I essentially just want a 10 inch for large produce chopping to get more uniform cuts with the deeper blade. Where are you seeing moritaka knives for that cheap? I can't find any ~10 inch knifes for less thank 200
The Tojiros you linked were an `8 1/4 inch' (which is actually 210mm) for US$150 and a `9 1/2 inch' (or 240mm) for US$170. The regular price on the Moritaka Aogami series at chefknivestogo has their 210mm at US$140 and the 240mm at US$170. The Moritaka `Supreme' series runs about US$180 for the 210mm and US$207 for the 240mm, which is probably about what you're seeing elsewhere.

I don't have any affiliation with chefknivestogo, but I've bought a bunch of knives from them, and they're one of the few online retailers in the US that carries :swoon: CCK cleavers :swoon:. Don't know if there are other places that'll sell you a Moritaka for cheaper or not.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mr Executive posted:

Do you really need a whole set, or would she be good with a few specific pots/pans.

You know this is a great idea, thanks so much. When I think about it she doesn't need a whole set. The only pans she uses are an 8qt stock pot for pasta and jambalaya, and a 3 quart saucepan for side dishes. She doesn't really use anything else.

I'll go hit up Marshall's or Ross and see if they have any gems laying around for cheap. I do like picking up the odd piece of bake ware on the cheap at those places.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I stopped in barnes and noble today and the Silver Spoon cookbook that spawned the Spaghetti alla Carbonara thread was in the bargain bin for $19.99 instead of $50 if any goons are looking for a copy.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thomas Keller's ad hoc at home is still half the list price on Amazon, for anyone interested. It's list price is $50, I got it for $26 and change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

Can anyone recommend a decent three-, five-, or seven-piece set of knives for around or under $50?

• Locked thread