Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kHz
Nov 22, 2010

9pm EST on Thursday should be fine for me, provided I don't get stuck at work too late. Wednesday is a bit better for me, actually, but really either should be fine. Oh, and just to clarify I'm on PSN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I vote Wednesday for 360 tournament.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
6PM PST is alright with me. I might have to work till 7 that day but if that's the case I can always take a later fight or something.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
I work mornings and afternoons (Central Time), so I'd only have a problem if the tourney plays overlong. Is there an estimated run time?

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Signed up for 360 tournament can probably play whenever

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Any day but Wednesday works for me (if anyone cares)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Signed up. I can play on Wednesday or Thursday. The guy who can stream it is not available Wednesday so that makes me think we should do Thursday.

Hopefully I will get to practice some next week.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Does anyone have any good BnBs or BnBs into resets for Nemesis? I'm trying to make my secondary team of Captain America/Nemesis/Doom work and the guide's suggested combos for Nemesis are not reliable.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

After hearing you all out I've decided to ignore your terrible opinions stay the course and run it on Thursday the 24th at 9Est/6Pst. Don't worry though as the next one, whether 1 or 2 weeks after, will be on a Wednesday and if all goes well we can throw Hawaiian Shirt a bone and have a Clean Shaven tournament some weekend afternoon.

I'll be taking role in irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3 at the listed time, please join IRC with whatever name you signed up to Challonge with. If you're in the room under a different name and I mark you absent you'll be sol.

I would like to ask for one or two people to volunteer to help with the brackets in case I miss something while playing a match or in the unlikely event that I get hit by a bus on Thursday.

We have two people who volunteered to stream for Xbox FSlink and Kuvo. They can decide which of them wants to stream by deciding who has the better equipment/flipping a coin. Right now we have no one to stream any PS3 matches so if someone is able and doesn't mind that would be neat.

I think thats about it so go get some practice in and lets have a good time on Thursday!

:itjb:http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/mfptdh42fr:itjb:

:spidey:http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/jnsr5dsavr:spidey:

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Does anyone have any good BnBs or BnBs into resets for Nemesis? I'm trying to make my secondary team of Captain America/Nemesis/Doom work and the guide's suggested combos for Nemesis are not reliable.

I don't know his combos specifically, but you'll want to watch videos of Airtola, he's probably the best Nemesis player out there.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...
Just played someone on Xbox ranked who had their mic set to make the most annoying loud static. Of course it distracted me because I couldn't stop thinking "what an rear end." Luckily ranked match paired me up with them again and then I kicked their rear end. Stay classy Xbox community.

Signing up for Xbox tournament, should be fun to see if my Zero can annoy goons as much as random online idiots.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Nemesis is pretty easy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0-tvo4oHTE . If you hit a low life just kill them straight up, if they have alot of health just do some stupid reset somewhere and kill them with that combo.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

Just played someone on Xbox ranked who had their mic set to make the most annoying loud static. Of course it distracted me because I couldn't stop thinking "what an rear end." Luckily ranked match paired me up with them again and then I kicked their rear end. Stay classy Xbox community.

Signing up for Xbox tournament, should be fun to see if my Zero can annoy goons as much as random online idiots.

Couldn't you mute them?

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Couldn't you mute them?

I just turned my TV down, I don't use a mic so I couldn't just turn that off. I have no clue if you can mute a specific person without blocking them or anything like that. Either way the match was starting and I just figured oh well.

I have around a 500/500 record on ranked so I'm use to all kinds of dumb crap being yelled at me from my TV. Just thought of posting about it because the static was seriously louder than my TV itself, but all is well that ends well.

e: vvvvv Nice to know, thanks!

Latte Lottie fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 18, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

I just turned my TV down, I don't use a mic so I couldn't just turn that off. I have no clue if you can mute a specific person without blocking them or anything like that.

You can, bring up your Xbox Guide, go over to Friends and then to the right to recent players, check their Gamercard and there will be an option to mute.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I like to yell at people online about what they could have done to kill a character or which super they should have used. Funny part is they're always better than me (my ranked record is 12-40~), I've just spent probably 4x more time watching UMVC3 than playing it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Omnikin posted:

I like to yell at people online about what they could have done to kill a character or which super they should have used. Funny part is they're always better than me (my ranked record is 12-40~), I've just spent probably 4x more time watching UMVC3 than playing it

Jesus, you sound like an absolute joy to play against

hrpff
Jun 19, 2004
undercooked Wendy's burgers or something
So can anyone actually stand to play this game online? I stopped playing vanilla when I had a match where I was guessing correctly on which way to block every time but kept getting hit anyway.

I've kinda rolled my eyes at people for deciding to buy or not buy a game based on whether or not megamen are in it, but then I started playing skullgirls and said, 'I don't want to play as any of these loving characters,' so I'm left here with nothing to do wondering if it's worth it to try picking this up for online play only.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

hrpff posted:

So can anyone actually stand to play this game online? I stopped playing vanilla when I had a match where I was guessing correctly on which way to block every time but kept getting hit anyway.

I've kinda rolled my eyes at people for deciding to buy or not buy a game based on whether or not megamen are in it, but then I started playing skullgirls and said, 'I don't want to play as any of these loving characters,' so I'm left here with nothing to do wondering if it's worth it to try picking this up for online play only.

I don't think you will enjoy this game. It's much faster than normal fighters and you need to understand pretty much everything every character can do.

It is a very good game, and I love it.

e: if you are willing to learn, jump right in

Undersea Magic
Dec 16, 2006

hrpff posted:

The netplay is god-awful, play with friends or find a local scene.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Omnikin posted:

Yeah, there's a difference between knowing what to do and actually being able to do it.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I guess I didn't need to worry about that tournament. The other players (2 of my friends, 1 other dude) were super free. Didn't lose a round.

Task/Dorm/Wesker worked out pretty good.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
I just bought this game yesterday and I'm getting completely blown up online. Any tips on practicing push blocking? I can't seem to get it down so once someone like Hulk or Wolverine get in on me I have no chance.

Also I have no idea if my team has any synergy but I'm liking Hawkeye/Ryu/Wesker using Hawkeye's greyhound shot, Ryu with tatsu, Wesker with OTG gunshot. Sometimes I'll sub out Ryu for Nova but I don't have Nova's combos or movement down at all yet and keep getting punished for trying to go in.

This game is a lot of fun but I feel like I'm not really learning anything when I'm losing which is frustrating in a fighting game.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

The Dirtyness posted:

I just bought this game yesterday and I'm getting completely blown up online. Any tips on practicing push blocking? I can't seem to get it down so once someone like Hulk or Wolverine get in on me I have no chance.

Not sure about Wolverine but don't pushblock Hulk just wait for him to run out of moves to chain too then blow him up.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Not sure about Wolverine but don't pushblock Hulk just wait for him to run out of moves to chain too then blow him up.

I can't recommend this personally. The problem with this is that he can do dash forward then back to get away if he wants to or he has one bar there is always the threat of the super that goes up in the air then comes back down, which he doesn't always have to do. If you hesitate for a split second to make sure he doesn't throw it out, he'll either H again or go for a throw.

If you get hit by anything it's going to really hurt. Basically it's a gamble that is completely not in your favor. This isn't just an online thing, although it only makes things worse, since recently Mike Ross got top 8 at season's beating and he was using Hulk.

My personal suggestion is to always push block the H, then use any projectile that hits 3 or more times immediately afterwards since chances are Hulk will try to close the gap with his charge. From there just zone him out.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
Thanks for the tips. I just played another guy a few times who was using Hulk and got blown up by his overhead. At least I know what it looks like now. I did get a punish with Ryu once but I didn't have enough meter to DHC so I couldn't kill him.

Also, what are my options when one of my characters have just died and another is coming in? Should I always be blocking? I don't use anyone with flight or double jump to escape and pressing any buttons always ends in me getting comboed, usually to death because I'm in the corner.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Use Advancing Guard to give yourself some breathing room.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

hrpff posted:

I can stand to play the game online. You have to not get too upset when it's obviously laggy, even if it costs you the match. The game is still fun and there are enough matches with acceptable lag. I find that if you think you're blocking correctly but you're still getting hit the problem is generally that you weren't blocking early enough even without lag.

For that dude looking for Hulk/Wolverine advice the safe strategy against both is projectiles or figuring out a way to call an assist to cover your attack.

Against Hulk you can punish his standing H or S. Basically every one of Hulk's normals (and specials too, I think) are unsafe so you want to be ready to punish a whiff. If he has bar Hulk has the option of canceling his normals and specials (except his standing S) into Gamma Crush to catch a punish attempt. I advise you to not respect that option unless the player hits you with it. If you notice that they'll throw out a Gamma Crush to be safe just block it. After you block it you can dash up and punish it (unless they do a late DHC). Hulk does not have an overhead so maybe you were blocking wrong or it was a jump attack.

Against Wolverine you can punish his S, Berserker Slash, Berserker Barrage, and sometimes his drill claw. Wolvie can cancel Berserker Slash into a super to be safe, the most common choice being Berserker Charge (where he gains a blue aura and gets faster). If you see him cancel Slash into Charge you can attempt to challenge him with a fast normal. You very well could win. I think he's slightly minus on that cancel. Otherwise, just block or jump away. If you see him throw out random Barrages just block one and kill him. Wolvie has problems getting in through a lot of projectiles. If you want to pushblock him, pushblock the standing H at the end of his ground chain.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Quick question that I'm too lazy to go to SRK for - how does Hawkeye get an OTG in the corner? I'm 99% sure I've seen it done, but the usual ice arrow doesn't seem to come out at the correct angle.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Boxman posted:

Quick question that I'm too lazy to go to SRK for - how does Hawkeye get an OTG in the corner? I'm 99% sure I've seen it done, but the usual ice arrow doesn't seem to come out at the correct angle.

Back dash and use L Trick Maneuver to get far enough out of the corner for the arrow to hit.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Boxman posted:

If you start the combo in the corner It's easiest to actually super jump backwards when you do your first launcher and then air MMHS, land, trick move L/H, ice arrow, slide, relaunch. If you land right next to your opponent and don't feel confident with the slide you can also trick move L, poison arrow xx gimlet. The super jump backwards lands you where you would if you dash but the timing is a lot more strict on the dash, trick move combo.

I'm having some trouble understanding when I can get in on Vergil. Devil Trigger makes his moves safe right? What do I do about his teleport? I've been trying to bait it but I feel like in any amount of lag theres no way I can interrupt him from doing whatever he wants.

On a side note I played a team of MODOK/Hsien-Ko/Phoenix Wright online today and while I got blown up by MODOK, it was really refreshing after teams with Dante, Vergil, or Wesker (and sometimes all 3) over and over again.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Dirtyness posted:

I'm having some trouble understanding when I can get in on Vergil. Devil Trigger makes his moves safe right? What do I do about his teleport? I've been trying to bait it but I feel like in any amount of lag theres no way I can interrupt him from doing whatever he wants.

As far as I know DT gives the following buffs to Vergil
1) Increased damage
2) Restores red life
3) Allows special canceling of whiffed normals
4) Gives him an air dash

Best strats I found against him so far is mash L when he's up close (if you have a good L) and taking to the skies (if you have options for moving in the air).

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
It also gives him a double jump, a speed boost, and his specials get bigger

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

The Dirtyness posted:

Also, what are my options when one of my characters have just died and another is coming in? Should I always be blocking? I don't use anyone with flight or double jump to escape and pressing any buttons always ends in me getting comboed, usually to death because I'm in the corner.

Normally yes you should be blocking, but alot of it is matchup specific. Losing a character is scary business especially if you don't have a double jump because most people will get at least 1 50/50 mixup off of this.

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat
Do we have a streamer for the PS3 tourny yet? Or even someone that can record and upload it?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Um Jammer 6096 posted:

Do we have a streamer for the PS3 tourny yet? Or even someone that can record and upload it?

No one has volunteered so far.

Edit:VVV
If you didn't mind that'd be appreciated. Though some people might prefer to play off stream until the end :ninja:

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 22, 2012

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

Ybrik posted:

No one has volunteered so far.

If Kuvo still wants to do the 360 stream, I can do the PS3 stream. I'll have to switch my entry from 360 to PS3 but that's fine with me.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Safety Scissors posted:

As far as I know DT gives the following buffs to Vergil
1) Increased damage
2) Restores red life
3) Allows special canceling of whiffed normals
4) Gives him an air dash

Best strats I found against him so far is mash L when he's up close (if you have a good L) and taking to the skies (if you have options for moving in the air).

Also gives you access to level4

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

The Dirtyness posted:

If you start the combo in the corner It's easiest to actually super jump backwards when you do your first launcher and then air MMHS, land, trick move L/H, ice arrow, slide, relaunch. If you land right next to your opponent and don't feel confident with the slide you can also trick move L, poison arrow xx gimlet. The super jump backwards lands you where you would if you dash but the timing is a lot more strict on the dash, trick move combo.

On a side note I played a team of MODOK/Hsien-Ko/Phoenix Wright online today and while I got blown up by MODOK, it was really refreshing after teams with Dante, Vergil, or Wesker (and sometimes all 3) over and over again.

If he has meter you can't get in on Vergil unless he fucks up or you have help from an assist. He has one of the best AA's and best pokes in the game with HSHSHS so you don't want to attack him from the air or from the ground unless you can get some help, catch a whiff, or punish something unsafe.

#1 tip against Vergil: Don't pushblock spiral swords
#2 tip against Vergil: A ton of stuff will trade with spiral swords and you should try to trade with it because if you do he wasted meter and doesn't get free mixups.

I believe that if you can learn to block rapid slash you should be fine against Vergil.

If you're playing Sentinel you should be able to kill Vergil by getting fullscreen and baiting a teleport with s.H c.H xx bombs. A lot of Vergil players will teleport after the mouth lasers and go straight into the bombs, which cover every spot where Vergil can teleport and lead into a free combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

FSLink posted:

If Kuvo still wants to do the 360 stream, I can do the PS3 stream. I'll have to switch my entry from 360 to PS3 but that's fine with me.

Sounds good

• Locked thread