Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jvempire
May 10, 2009

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

Just completed it for the first time today. Sided with the Anarchs and let LaCroix open the sarcophagus while I walked away. Absolutely hated the ending, expected something dramatic after all the talk of "Don't open it."

Good game overall though.
drat I thought that ending was hilarious. I mean, it was hinted at, from the sarcophagus already opened on the boat and Smiling Jack joking with you about the sarcophagus. For me I opened it myself and just how anticlimactic it was with the C4 made me laugh pretty hard. Also lore wise, "Whatever he found inside is unknown, as a huge explosion claimed the life of the Prince and obliterated the Sarcophagus immediately afterward."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Honestly, when I hit the ending, I remember just being amazed that they had the guts to end it like that after all the buildup. After I thought about it, though, I really, really liked it. Also, if you didn't give nines the bird and walk into the sunset you did it wrong.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
I just started this game and I'm running on windows OS7 and have no problems running it(I'll have to look the intro videos up on youtube sometime ha). I'm really enjoying the game a lot. The hotel was awesome, I've never had trouble with combat or the main mission scenarios(huge celerity helps) and I enjoy the environments and atmosphere. The game is sort of buggy(had to reload, cutscenes wouldn't trigger) it's something that sort of comes with the genre and I haven't really played more recent games so I probably get over it better than most. That aside, I am totally not into the whole goth vampire scene they got going on and I do not have the ears for the music and that normally would of normally put me off to the game. Thanks to this thread and as someone who grew out of games and only really plays to fill some weird western rpg pc game niche I am glad to have found this. Good thread good game.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I really liked the ending. The whole super primordial vampire and what everyone was fighting over was really just a long game fakeout to kill the rear end in a top hat leader of the city was an awesome twist and I doubt anyone saw it coming unless you played a Malk first and REALLY read between the lines. However I agree that the ending stuff was obviously rushed and the lack of polish showed. Pretty much everything after Hollywood felt really low budget which was understandable given the situation the developers were in but was still a bummer.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Radish posted:

I really liked the ending. The whole super primordial vampire and what everyone was fighting over was really just a long game fakeout to kill the rear end in a top hat leader of the city was an awesome twist and I doubt anyone saw it coming unless you played a Malk first and REALLY read between the lines. However I agree that the ending stuff was obviously rushed and the lack of polish showed. Pretty much everything after Hollywood felt really low budget which was understandable given the situation the developers were in but was still a bummer.
Yeh I agree. What I didn't really like about the end game stuff was how there was so much combat, and I especially didn't like the boss fights. I was ready to give up too before getting the ending, but in my opinion the twist was so worth it.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
I've been planning to do a second playthrough as Malkavian, but thinking about how combat heavy the latter third of the games is, I'm not sure it's worth it. How well do Malks fare in combat? I managed to do well in combat because I was Brujah, but Malks seem a lot less fight capable.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

I've been planning to do a second playthrough as Malkavian, but thinking about how combat heavy the latter third of the games is, I'm not sure it's worth it. How well do Malks fare in combat? I managed to do well in combat because I was Brujah, but Malks seem a lot less fight capable.

I've never had any trouble with them late-game. I tend toward stealth, though. High-level obfuscate will get you out of lots of trouble, and some of the later levels of dementation are worth using as well. I can't speak to how the game plays with some of the heavier modding described in the OP, though, as all my playthroughs have been vanilla.

Even if they don't fare as well in combat, though, a Malk playthrough is worth it just for the dialogue choices.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Any clan can finish the game without much trouble. If you're worried about the endgame, don't put too many points in Dementation (which is only useful against humans) and focus on Auspex + firearms and Obfuscation + sneak attacks. Pick up a combat-focused History if you want.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

For my part, I'm a giant Cheaty McCheaterson when a game isn't going my way, so I didn't have any problem cranking out the ol' Source console commands if something was getting particularly frustrating. Especially since I built my Tremere to be a smooth operator who only busts out the blood magic and buckshot when necessary, then found that in the last third of the game, it's always necessary (and extra sources of blood during lengthy combat sections can be rare).

Even then I usually don't go for straight-up godmode twinkery, just stuff like the occasional bloodpack or box of ammo if I'm in a pinch. Think of it as sympathy from the GM.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 21, 2012

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

UltraRed posted:

It's also not very sensitive. I can run through the streets in Santa Monica and not get a humanity drop.

Yeah, I played through the entire game as a Nos and you basically only have to avoid running straight into people. Like if you run down the middle of the street instead of the sidewalk, you should be perfectly fine. I never even used the sewers, except for getting to my "apartament".
It's pretty cool how the dialogue changes. It might not be Malk-level awesome, but still worth a playthrough IMO. I don't think you miss out on anything important.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I love the little details they put in the game. You never need to hack Jeanette's computer, but if you do, you can see a list of contact information, complete with a 1-5 star rating for each boy. She's apparently even boned Jack!

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Dienes posted:

I love the little details they put in the game. You never need to hack Jeanette's computer, but if you do, you can see a list of contact information, complete with a 1-5 star rating for each boy. She's apparently even boned Jack!

But...but he's a vampire. How would that work? :stare:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Red Mundus posted:

If you side with her against Therese, she'll give you a demonstration.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

A wooden dowel and scotch tape. I think you can work out the rest.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

Fortitude and a lot of concentration?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Upmarket Mango posted:

A wooden dowel and scotch tape. I think you can work out the rest.

There's a ritual for that.

1 • Dominoe of Life (Sabbat)
The vampire may simulate one human trait. Any trait, from the warmth of human flesh, to tears, can be assumed. Lasts one night.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

In the tabletop game you can use a blood point to force blood into your penis for an erection.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Vampires can mechanically have sex, though they don't really get anything out of it. It feels nice, sure, but not nearly as good as it did during life, and the Kiss is way, way better.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

McSpanky posted:

For my part, I'm a giant Cheaty McCheaterson when a game isn't going my way, so I didn't have any problem cranking out the ol' Source console commands if something was getting particularly frustrating. Especially since I built my Tremere to be a smooth operator who only busts out the blood magic and buckshot when necessary, then found that in the last third of the game, it's always necessary (and extra sources of blood during lengthy combat sections can be rare).

Even then I usually don't go for straight-up godmode twinkery, just stuff like the occasional bloodpack or box of ammo if I'm in a pinch. Think of it as sympathy from the GM.

I found Tremere to be underwhelming overall. Maybe it was just me but the blood magic just always felt way weaker then any other combat option.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

On the other end, Firearms is ridiculously powerful if you've got points in it. It only took three playthroughs for me to finally give it a try. I essentially one shotted Ming Xiao and the Sheriff in their respective battles using whatever that bullpup assault rifle is. I don't think I can ever go back to using Brawl or Melee again :stare:

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Firearms are also about a million times more fun and just generally feel way more polished than brawl or melee.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ProfessorCirno posted:

I found Tremere to be underwhelming overall. Maybe it was just me but the blood magic just always felt way weaker then any other combat option.
Really? I found it pretty OP actually. Keep Blood Shield up, disable enemies with Purge, go bash in melee; use blood drain powers as necessary. This was several Unofficial Patches ago, though.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

NihilCredo posted:

Really? I found it pretty OP actually. Keep Blood Shield up, disable enemies with Purge, go bash in melee; use blood drain powers as necessary. This was several Unofficial Patches ago, though.

I tried Tremere, but Blood Magic just didn't have the satisfying punch that Melee/Firearms does. I also found it fiddly juggling all my powers on the fly.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah, firing blood-draining magic missiles is a neat trick but it becomes way more trouble than it's worth by Hollywood or so, since you have to stand still to actually get the blood back and eat a ton of bullets/aggravated melee in the process, and Blood Boil is amazing to behold but not really worth the four points per use.

Blood Purge plus a shotgun is a pretty excellent combo that murders just about everything, and Blood Shield lasts forever and looks awesome in third person view, so there's that. I'm kinda glad I went Tremere on my first playthrough though, if I played this after a gun-heavy character it probably would've felt a bit... anemic :rimshot:

CommissarMega posted:

I also found it fiddly juggling all my powers on the fly.

Also this.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Hilariously enough, the most fun way to play this game is as a Toreador. Auspex + Firearms + Celerity = Matrix Murder Machine.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
loving hell, this game has legs. I wrote the original oma fan patch, to fix a bug with the religious sniper boss if I remember rightly. My young self loved all the praise that got him but then my young self was a tool.

At the time, I hoped this represented the future of gaming - I remember being so disappointed when all the conversational awesomeness of the game gave way to being a lovely tomb raider clone in the second half :(

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

CommissarMega posted:

I also found it fiddly juggling all my powers on the fly.

People complain about MMO-style actionbars but I seriously have yet to see a better system for managing a wide suite of abilities.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Fuzz posted:

Hilariously enough, the most fun way to play this game is as a Toreador. Auspex + Firearms + Celerity = Matrix Murder Machine.

Eh, I loved my Gangrel playthrough. With max Fortitude turned on, I was getting riddled with bullets like the Terminator, and to roughly the same effect. And then the claws come out for aggravated goodness on the enemies.

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!
Man, people weren't kidding about the sewers. I used my better judgment and CHEATED through it, and it is still one of the harder parts of the game so far. I can't believe it hasn't been modded out or shortened in some way. Now I understand why everyone wants to ban sewer levels.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fuzz posted:

Hilariously enough, the most fun way to fight is as a Toreador. Auspex + Firearms + Celerity = Matrix Murder Machine.

Fixed it for you. The most fun is as a Malk on your second playthrough :colbert:

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

I don't mind the sewer levels so much. The only part I can't stand is the stupid water intake/outlet poo poo and trying to swim past that loving fan.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Ive replayed the game so much that by this point i have that section down to a science and i get it first time every time now, probably not a good thing tbh.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

FINALmasa posted:

Man, people weren't kidding about the sewers. I used my better judgment and CHEATED through it, and it is still one of the harder parts of the game so far. I can't believe it hasn't been modded out or shortened in some way. Now I understand why everyone wants to ban sewer levels.

Funny you should say that. Clan Quest Mod 3.0 has hidden optional quests that allow you to skip the sewer level and the Fu Syndicate. I haven't done them yet and there is a bit of discussion on the planet-vampire board about how it should be revised, but they are there.

catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow

Dienes posted:

complete with a 1-5 star rating for each boy. She's apparently even boned Jack!

He got full marks I imagine?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Dienes posted:

If you check her PC after the sex scene, there's a new rating in the black book. Three stars. The truth can be painful. :v:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Randallteal posted:

If you check her PC after the sex scene, there's a new rating in the black book. Three stars. The truth can be painful. :v:
In Alpha Protocol that would vary based on clan and stats :P

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

catpowerd posted:

He got full marks I imagine?

5 stars, highly reccomended.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Isn't there enough of a dormant (albeit ravenous) fan base to this game that could justify a sequel from whoever owns the rights?

Now there's a meaningless e-petition I would sign.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
There's a World of Darkness MMO coming, which is as close as it's probably going to get :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Convex posted:

There's a World of Darkness MMO coming, which is as close as it's probably going to get :(

That sounds like a countdown to a big bummer.

• Locked thread