Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The Joe Man posted:

something nice

Sweet. I tried this approach, but since I was busy getting drunk last night, I had to read it again :mmmsmug:

For some reason I kept sliding into a The Count voice, ah ah ahhhh.

CuddleChunks posted:

You don't have to post every little thing you do

Heh, indeed. Sorry, I'll dial it back.

titties fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Just noticed a potential issue while recording. The beats you give list 35 seconds as the end point of the animation, but in my case and I assume others the actual lines can be longer than that, and that's if they just run continuously. Is the 35 seconds set in stone or will things be shuffled? If not we'll need a rewrite (or we can just wing it) for a shorter time span.

Anyway regardless here's my attempt:

.wav for download since I dislike .mp3 for use:
http://tindeck.com/download/pro/qeex/%5Btindeck.com%5D+-+JossiRossi%2B-%2BPOWERTHIRST_WAV.wav

Torabi posted:

This thread caught my attention as JossiRossi posted in the animation thread. Some neat stuff in here. I'll definitely keep this thread in mind if I ever end up animating some stuff.

I am capable of doing some varying voices myself but I'd rather refrain from showing anything because a) my microphone is terrible and b) it is rather embarrassing to post after hearing some of you.
I can make a rather amusing indian stereotype voice and some other weird voices and accents. But that's about it.
Be very careful not to fall into an accent trap. Doing good accents, real accents, requires either training or rather extensive experience with a particular accent. Otherwise your silly voices and accents will simply be hodge podge combos of what others use in pop culture. When someone says, "Indian Accent" they typically mean "I can sound like Apu." Don't get me wrong I'm not discouraging you from trying things out, but I'd highly suggest refining what might be more your natural voice first. Beyond that, it's just a matter of practice. As for people who are good at this worrying you, it's really ok. No one here who has ever put their voice up would give you a thrashing for giving things a try. We've all been there. Also if you want to get good enough to be confident, well you will need some straight talk about your work. I've acted since high school and the best advice has always been the most direct and straight forward. If it is bad, tell me. If it is good, pat me on the back and remind me I could have done better. We can do that, and with no malice. If you were so bad as to be worthless, well honestly we'd not spend the time trying to help.

CuddleChunks posted:

:dance: I'm up for *Drama*.
Aww, hell yeah. Might be good if we had some ideas for what to produce. I'm ok with handling a nice portion of the production side with compiling, editing, nagging, ect, but I don't think I have time for writing duties. We can always pick out a play or something though if we don't want to tangle doing and original work. That said of course there are a fair number of good writers in this subforum.

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
Gentlemen, I am totally impressed; I haven't been a goon for too long, but what you guys have delivered has been brilliant

Apologies for not being around to answer queries and concerns, I've been hopping between helping setup the exhibition, sleeping and finishing things up

Here's my take on the submissions:

titties, your recording was the first I heard and it really made me smile - but the delivery seemed a little bit less natural and flowing than what I was after -keep at it and with time you'll warm to it a bit more

Jossi, I really appreciate the quality of your voice acting work and the inflection you bring to certain parts of the script -but compared to another submission I get the gut feeling that it doesn't suit the role quite as well. A one take wonder no less!

Joeman, your take on it was from a totally different perspective from what I was thinking, but it gave me a huge grin; I don't think it suits the animation but I'd love to make a piece to suit that kinda voice.

ChaosTheory, your work really hits the nail on the head -it fills my mind's image perfectly and the multiple takes add a bit of vertical separation to the possibilities for the piece, with really natural delivery -and for that reason I'm going with your recording

Again, I'm really bowled over by the quality of what I received back and I'll be sure to make another visit to this thread when I've got a bit more in the coffers and some more time to make a good go of it

DaveP fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 22, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

titties posted:

Heh, indeed. Sorry, I'll dial it back.

No no no, I didn't make myself clear - submit your stuff to the thread. Keep doing that. But as a matter of practice you should record yourself lots and lots. You don't need to sumbit "Me, singing in the shower for twenty minutes" to the thread for a critique. Or, "I cough a lot and say 'umm' in this for eleven minutes" either.

If you have something you want to share, go ahead and do it. If it's just practice material then keep it on your hard drive. Hopefully you'll hear yourself getting better as you practice and practice and take tips from the cool cats in this thread.

Who knows what may happen if you turn on the microphone and let your imagination run wild. You might get something like this.

PaladinNasicom
Feb 15, 2005
"Only in mirrors do heroes find their equal."

CuddleChunks posted:

Shame is counterproductive. Start recording your voice on whatever equipment you have. Make up characters, put on little dramas, sing, do something. Just talk for a while. Get used to how your microphone sounds and how you sound in it. You don't have to post every little thing you do but sack up and send us something that you want some help with.

So I've been lurking this thread for a couple days since I got some equipment, and this was pretty much what I needed to hear. I did a quick read over an intro I wrote up, and thought I'd go ahead and post it to see what people think.

I keep hearing people mention "proper breathing", but I'm not sure I know what that means exactly. Also, I feel like I have this... 'wet' sound I can't get rid of. And a slight lisp. And it's kinda echo-y. Advice on these points, and anything else you can hear, would be great.

And since I'm here, might as well make it all official:

Name: PaladinNasicom

Specialties: Medium-high nasally characters, medium sincere characters. Normal speaking voice is med-high jovial quality. Like an over enthusiastic consumer. I can also do a fairly decent Elmo impression.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/PaladinNasicom

Contact: I don't read PM's from the forums, it is easiest to contact me at paladinnasicom @ gmail.com

Payment: Paypal is the easiest.

PaladinNasicom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 22, 2012

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Too late to the party, but here's my shot at Powerthirst anyway:

I've got a question for people who've got more technical experience than me: what's the best way to take care of the kind of muffled quality that recording has? I'm in a very echoey space, using one of these mics: http://www.amazon.com/Nady-SCM-960-Diaphragm-Microphone-Selection/dp/B000R4LQ5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337650627&sr=8-1

I'd love for the vocals to pop more, but I'm not sure what exactly the problem is. Is it making a cleaner space, acoustically? Buying a better mic? Positioning? Something in the way I'm (not) mixing it?

titties
May 10, 2012

CuddleChunks posted:

No no no, I didn't make myself clear - submit your stuff to the thread. Keep doing that. But as a matter of practice you should record yourself lots and lots. You don't need to sumbit "Me, singing in the shower for twenty minutes" to the thread for a critique. Or, "I cough a lot and say 'umm' in this for eleven minutes" either.

If you have something you want to share, go ahead and do it. If it's just practice material then keep it on your hard drive. Hopefully you'll hear yourself getting better as you practice and practice and take tips from the cool cats in this thread.

Who knows what may happen if you turn on the microphone and let your imagination run wild. You might get something like this.

I get what you're saying, but everything I record is just for practice (except for the DaveP read, which I wouldn't even have done if he hadn't been up against the wall).

I've been posting recordings every day since my mic came in, and it feels like oversaturation - I don't want people to get tired of me and stop listening :ohdear:

Thanks for the Bunny Foo Foo, I laughed my balls off when the fairy started talking.

Stinkmeister posted:

I've got a question for people who've got more technical experience than me: what's the best way to take care of the kind of muffled quality that recording has? I'm in a very echoey space, using one of these mics: http://www.amazon.com/Nady-SCM-960-Diaphragm-Microphone-Selection/dp/B000R4LQ5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337650627&sr=8-1

I'd love for the vocals to pop more, but I'm not sure what exactly the problem is. Is it making a cleaner space, acoustically? Buying a better mic? Positioning? Something in the way I'm (not) mixing it?

You know, I listened to this on both my 2001 era altec-lansing speakers and on my Sennheiser headphones (HD202, entry level poop), and I didn't hear any of the problems you're talking about. I'm sure that one of these guys with experience and nice headphones could hear it, but on my regular-guy equipment and through my screaming tinnitus, it sounded pretty good to me. Regardless, JossiRossi made a fantastic (and long) post that talks about a lot of these things on the last page, I'd start there. E: It looks like that post was added to the OP

titties fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 22, 2012

titties
May 10, 2012

DaveP posted:

Gentlemen, I am totally impressed; I haven't been a goon for too long, but what you guys have delivered has been brilliant

Apologies for not being around to answer queries and concerns, I've been hopping between helping setup the exhibition, sleeping and finishing things up

Here's my take on the submissions:

titties, your recording was the first I heard and it really made me smile - but the delivery seemed a little bit less natural and flowing than what I was after -keep at it and with time you'll warm to it a bit more

Jossi, I really appreciate the quality of your voice acting work and the inflection you bring to certain parts of the script -but compared to another submission I get the gut feeling that it doesn't suit the role quite as well. A one take wonder no less!

Joeman, your take on it was from a totally different perspective from what I was thinking, but it gave me a huge grin; I don't think it suits the animation but I'd love to make a piece to suit that kinda voice.

ChaosTheory, your work really hits the nail on the head -it fills my mind's image perfectly and the multiple takes add a bit of vertical separation to the possibilities for the piece, with really natural delivery -and for that reason I'm going with your recording

Again, I'm really bowled over by the quality of what I received back and I'll be sure to make another visit to this thread when I've got a bit more in the coffers and some more time to make a good go of it

ChaosTheory, contact me at info@davepaliwoda.com and we'll discuss renumeration

Thank you for the feedback! I've never done any acting, and only recorded a handful of things, so even being considered feels pretty great!

titties
May 10, 2012

I decided today that I was going to ask around my classes and see if anyone had any projects that they wanted to have narrated. I found out that there is already a place in town that does voice work for clients all over the country, and that their main talent is a guy with a beautiful, golden baritone and years of experience. It was a little disheartening.

However, if I can continue to practice, improve, and land a few gigs I might be able to work with them. This does lead to a problem that I discovered today.

It seems that I can't read for poo poo unless I have a little scotch in me. I was reading the Summerset Hills script, trying to polish it up and compare it to the "rising pitch" version I posted a few days ago. Every single read made me cringe, it was like being back to day 1 with the rock band mic. Now, I can't really walk into the recording studio and swill booze ... or can I?

I know I've seen a particular voice actor who works on a couple of very popular animated shows work with a rocks glass perched on his script holder. However, he has the advantage of the shows being his.

Does anyone know how common or accepted drinking on the jearb is in this particular industry?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I'm going to go ahead and say that blatantly drinking anything other that water if you're starting out in the business is going to be a no-no. As you said, the guy you mentioned runs the show he is drinking at. Most people don't view drinking on ANY job as ok. Also booze isn't the best thing for your voice as it dries you out.

Why do you think you need drinking to read? Sounds like nerves/stage fright. Thats just something you need to drum out of yourself by doing it and doing it. Liquid courage isn't really appropriate in the booth (until you get your own animated TV show).

Also, anyone with a Yeti Pro with issues ITT? I just lost another super long recording sessions to this amazing fuzzed out sound.

Just a FYI. Blue Mic told me this is an issue with the Blue Yeti Pro. They know about it and are fixing it for free. VERY annoying.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
Anyone interested in doing some voice work of a young boy for an animated short? I'm doing a Little Nemo short (no, not Finding Nemo.) I'm bringing to life this strip. I'm needing Nemo's voice.

Here's a shot from my short. I've already recorded Flip's dialog.

It's mainly some simple straight dialog. Like:

quote:

NEMO: What's that smell? Is something burning?

FLIP: Hey Nemo, the princess said she would give me a years supply of ceegars if I brought you to Slumberland.

NEMO: The princess? Is this Slumberland?

FLIP: No stupid, it's just 777 miles that way.

Edit: Oh and this is just personal project for fun so I don't have any type of budget.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
I think my voice would be too old for Nemo, but thanks for the link to the comics, this is a great collection.

titties
May 10, 2012

King Lou posted:

I'm going to go ahead and say that blatantly drinking anything other that water if you're starting out in the business is going to be a no-no. As you said, the guy you mentioned runs the show he is drinking at. Most people don't view drinking on ANY job as ok. Also booze isn't the best thing for your voice as it dries you out.

Why do you think you need drinking to read? Sounds like nerves/stage fright. Thats just something you need to drum out of yourself by doing it and doing it. Liquid courage isn't really appropriate in the booth (until you get your own animated TV show).

Also, anyone with a Yeti Pro with issues ITT? I just lost another super long recording sessions to this amazing fuzzed out sound.

Just a FYI. Blue Mic told me this is an issue with the Blue Yeti Pro. They know about it and are fixing it for free. VERY annoying.

I guess it probably is nerves, coupled with just plain not having any experience. Some people posted some advice on overcoming stage fright, which I'm working on. Still, there's a marked improvement (to my uneducated ear) on reads where I've had one or two small scotches. I know that any job that doesn't involve making alcohol doesn't allow you to drink, but I was still kind of hoping to find a bunch of "hell yeah everybody drinks every day up in the booooof" ITT.

Even so, the reads I consider my best apparently contain a lot of strange pitch changes and it's pretty clear that I have no idea what I'm doing or what I'm talking about. It seems like the answers to all my questions center around the theme "practice". I will type less and read more!

I don't have the Pro, I just got the regular Yeti. The only problems I've had so far involve me not setting the thing up right.

Hinchu posted:

Anyone interested in doing some voice work of a young boy for an animated short? I'm doing a Little Nemo short

Sorry, no little kid roles for me since my voice is MANLY AS gently caress BRO. There were some ladies posting earlier in the thread that could do a good young boy voice, but they seem to have fled. Good luck!

titties fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 23, 2012

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
So I made this for a Binding of Isaac thread contest over in Let's Play. I've debated putting it up honestly. That in itself is kind of why I'm posting it.

This is a mock Novelization of the game Binding of Isaac. I tried to give it some features of other game interpretations. So it's not supposed to be a great rendition but I hope it's not bad, bad, as opposed to intentional bad. One of the biggest issues with quality is I think I used the compressor too hard on my voice, its got an odd grainy quality I'm not digging.

DaveP posted:

I appreciate the kind words, and I'm really glad one of us was able to help you out. People who drop the ball on these kinds of projects don't seem to understand how much it can really screw with a production. Also Chaos Theory you did a great job on the take, the one thing I'd consider working on is tone consistency. You have a strong variety in the tone but some of them aren't full sets I feel. Pieced together the flow could potentially be lacking, that's Dave's job to link it together but there's things we can do to make the job easier. I liked the later takes where you go through all the lines in a row because there's a more natural flow to them. So first half a bit disjointed, second half much better all around really even though you were implying that you were going over the top. It takes a bit to get the energy to come out in a recording, so typically it does need to be over the top performed to hit a normal mark played back. This is something I struggle with still myself.

Stinkmeister posted:

I'm not sure if I am hearing the issue as much as you are. But I have a feeling I might know what's up. How close to your mic are you when you record? You don't sound like you are exerting your voice much so to keep the levels up you might be quite close to your mic. There can be a problem with "Proximity Effect" where being right up on your mic will exaggerate the low end a lot. This can muddy up your voice. Depending on the effect this can be quite nice, give you more rumble. So replicating a radio voice on a non-top of the line mic might let you emulate this a bit, but with the downside of varying effect and the fact being on top of your mic can be a pain.

For voice "clarity" you tend to get the most definition of a voice in the 2.5Khz - 5Khz range. First I'd try backing off the mic. If that's what you already are doing, or it doesn't help much, I'd consider suppressing the 100hz range. Use an EQ to lower it 3dB or 6dB and see how it sounds. If none of that works (but I think it should) you could try to do a broad band boost of the 2Khz-5Khz range. Keep in mind typically 4Khz is your "ess" noises like how almost all of the word "noises" would sound. So you can create problems there boosting.

I'll probably write more up on EQ usage and probably mic pickup patterns as well since yours has a variable Cardioid and Omnidirectional. I am pretty sure yours is set to cardioid so you should be set there.

Make another recording and let us hear differences. If you follow the steps I listed above, make a version at each step so differences can be heard please.

titties posted:

I guess it probably is nerves, coupled with just plain not having any experience. Some people posted some advice on overcoming stage fright, which I'm working on. Still, there's a marked improvement (to my uneducated ear) on reads where I've had one or two small scotches. I know that any job that doesn't involve making alcohol doesn't allow you to drink, but I was still kind of hoping to find a bunch of "hell yeah everybody drinks every day up in the booooof" ITT.

So, this is going to be rough, but know it's not just directed at you. You're far from the only one with "sober me is not as good as not-sober me" issues.

If you can not do it sober, you can not do it drinking.

Plain and simple. Alcohol will simply never improve your performances. There's maybe 1 in a million who it does, but if you are human, and reading this, it won't. Having talent and skill means that you are in control of what you are doing. Good actors don't get drunk to play drunk characters. They will do research. They will drink themselves but not during a production. They will watch drunks. What is the difference between a frat boy and an alcoholic? I know you weren't trying to do a drunk take of anything but as an example. This could be about anything.

I come from an acting background and do have rather strong opinions on it (which varies a lot from my advice on technical recording so feel free to take this with a grain of salt). Observation is incredibly important, knowing the content equally so. If you are reading all your lines you will not give a good performance. If you are glancing at scripts for reminders you're doing better. If you can memorize all the lines then great, but people rarely have the time for that.

I'd stop drinking when you record, always. Find ways to get more comfortable. Do you stand or sit when you record, do you have a glass of water with you but AWAY from your set up, can you talk into the mic and clearly see your script, are you familiar with it? All these things will help you becomes more comfortable with yourself and then ultimately with what you are doing.

Finally, practice, I know you know that part, but it really is. I'd start here, find a piece you are passionate about. Something you don't have to "reach" for. Do you love bees more than life itself? Then look something up about bees and loving let loose. Right now you need to go to where you feel comfortable and passionate, then once you can do that in a recording, do something you care less about and fake it. That's what we do. We don't give a poo poo about this car we're advertising. The man we're screaming death threats at will buy a drink after we're done. That joke, totally not funny. After all, all us actors? We're just liars.

Hinchu posted:

Anyone interested in doing some voice work of a young boy for an animated short? I'm doing a Little Nemo short (no, not Finding Nemo.) I'm bringing to life this strip. I'm needing Nemo's voice.

Edit: Oh and this is just personal project for fun so I don't have any type of budget.
I'd check through the second post by the OP which has a list of VO demos. There were some good female's doing kids there. There's way more in that list than active right now, so it might be worthwhile to do that. Plus might get them back to the thread.

Also that project seems pretty neat. I had no idea that Little Nemo the NES game was based on an (at the time) 80+ year old comic. So that's pretty drat rad.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

JossiRossi posted:

brilliant words

I... I think I love you. Seriously, that's really helpful and gives me somewhere to start when playing with equalization. Next time I'm in Boston, I owe you a beer. Please do continue to write, it's awesome stuff.

I experimented some with distance, and I definitely see how being too close to the mic can amplify the effect and really muddy it up. That's not what's going on in my case, but I definitely see how it can make it worse. You were right that I have the pickup pattern set to cardioid.

Following are a few samples for reference. Just my normal speaking voice, no performance to speak of. Terrible s sounds abound:

Here's one that's too close (1-2 inches)

Here's a recording at a better distance (6-8 inches)

Next, I took your advice and EQ'd it to suppress the 100hz range by about 6dB:

Finally, a little compression:

nny_ix
Apr 26, 2006

What?

I'm making things interesting!
Name: nny_ix

Specialties: sight reading, "news caster" voice, "noir detective", "smug rear end in a top hat"/gravelly, "rich guy", mad scientist with high pitched laugh.

demo coming soon.

Payment: Paypal - nny_ix at yahoo dot com

Edit: I just recently got an Oktava MK-319 and it's so great that I'm dying to use it so I will make a demo of some of the voices I've done recently for other projects.

nny_ix fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 7, 2013

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Stinkmeister posted:

I... I think I love you. Seriously, that's really helpful and gives me somewhere to start when playing with equalization. Next time I'm in Boston, I owe you a beer. Please do continue to write, it's awesome stuff.

Next, I took your advice and EQ'd it to suppress the 100hz range by about 6dB:

Soon I will be owed drinks by ever VO artist on the site. This is my cunning and devious master plan! I'm really glad you found that useful, and I'll be sure to keep spouting off more.

Onto the recording. Compared to the "fuzzy" recording this one does come off a lot clearer. It's easier to understand what you're saying and is definitely an improvement. Depending on the circumstance you might want to avoid or not cut the low end as much, but that's purely up to the role. This can be mixed into a scene better, but for a straight up VO a bit more "boom" could be nice, so use your judgement based on the role.

There are some other issues now cropping up with the change in recording though. There's an awful lot of Hiss and room echo. The hiss is likely an equipment issue, I'm not sure on your set up so I can't really comment on possible fixes, but when you have equipment hiss the best thing to do sometimes is find ways to be louder so that the "noise floor" becomes quieter. Also on your compressed track you brought out this hiss and made it easier to hear. Compression is complicated and I'll probably write something up about the basics on it in detail. (I've got 3 topics in mind to elaborate on right now of Microphones, EQ, and Compression)

The room echo also becomes more apparent with the compression, it sounds like you are in a hard wood/tile floored room. Not quite a bathroom, a bit bigger with some basic furnishings but not a whole lot. Also possibly tall ceiling. I will fully admit that's an attempt to show off, let me know if I'm wrong I want to train my ear better! There are some ways to mitigate room echo. Using a recording box, which is essentially a noise dampening material, like egg crate foam, lining the inside of a box where you place your mic in the middle. This has the benefit of being portable usually, and relatively cheap. Also much easier than sound treating a room of any size. Other methods you can use are blanket/pillow forts around your recording station, or taking mattresses and placing them on your walls. You can actually find problem areas by snapping your fingers or, and this will sound crazy, chirping. You want to find parts of your room that echo to your voice. So making short sharp loud noises can help. Snapping or chirping works the same, make the noise then stop and listen. The echo should last just long enough to get an idea of the area. Keep trying to make this noise and echos happen. Find the spots where the sound echos the most and toss a mattress there. I had a room where the room echo lasted over 5 seconds but in a high range, just a few frequencies. Also longer term if you can fill that room with items that absorb sound like blankets, mattresses, couches, and put things on the walls that don't reflect sound you'll be good. But that's obviously a huge endeavor. A small room just for recording (like I got lucky enough to manage) or sound treating only an area of a room with a sound box or blanket fort might be a good way to go.

nny_ix posted:

Name: nny_ix

Specialties: sight reading, "news caster" voice, Almost Archer/McGurk (H. John Benjamin but a smidge higher), terrible but consistent british accent

tindeck: http://www.tindeck.com/users/nnyix

youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/nnyix (the most recent video features me sight reading and a variation of my news caster voice)

Payment: Paypal - nny_ix at yahoo dot com

Hello and welcome! Sorry this is going to be a bit negative for a first response but you've got some work to do. First don't compare yourself to well known and talented VO artists like Benjamin. Because it immediately compares you to him and as amateurs we'll often fall short (sometimes VERY short). You are already making yourself look less in comparison. You need to be able to stand on your own merits and stand out. I'd remove the comparison and go for "sound like rear end in a top hat" since that's all he does anyway.

I mentioned accents before but the short is if you are not trained or have not lived with an accent you probably can't do it. Consistency of "terrible" is a step towards being able to do an accent but I'd lump that into the "can not do" category still. The biggest thing is to practice with people who have the accents you are looking for, or at the very least read the crap out of accent guides which of course do exist.

I unfortunately am not going to attempt giving you advice on the recording process as you've not made anything specifically for VO yet. You need to make an actual demo. You link your tindeck but all I quickly see are song mixdowns and those begin to be over a year old VERY fast. A lot can change in a year+ so even if there are VO clips in there I'd not find them useful.

I checked your youtube and you're voice has potential otherwise I'd not type this all up. But you are making me struggle to find any example of your work, and unless you have the voice of an Angel it's not worth it. You need to put yourself out to us, because we're not going to go to you.

You've got homework to do. Make a demo and show us what you got!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Here's a demo I made about a year ago. Please be gentle.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

CaptainYesterday posted:

Here's a demo I made about a year ago. Please be gentle.

Hello there! Since you said this was done a year ago I'll comment on the performance instead of the technical stuff since a lot can change in that amount of time. You're last post was asking about stuff to read. Even if they can't use it now, use anything listed before for practice. For the technical stuff I do need a recent sample.

The performance. First thing I notice is that you aren't always comfortable with what you are saying. There are odd slight hesitations as you are thinking about what is next. All in all a big issue is repeated pauses that break up the flow of what you are saying.

At times I can't really tell if improvising or not. I'm assuming the second half with the ranting is improv. It's pretty weak, lots of floundering around on the ideas. I fully appreciate how hard it can be to improv but without committing to a statement before saying it you start to lose your own attention it seems.

Occasionally these comments just don't feel like you're actually talking to another person. There's a non-natural and forced feeling to it. The words you choose to emphasize are all over the place and are perhaps chosen more visually than content aware. Over all there just a big lack in conversational tone. I'm finding it hard to fully explain. When you continue working on acting examples try going for something that you can be natural with, and talk the way you do with other humans. Try not to act, try to just be. The method actor in me would suggest you draw upon actual conversations and times of conflict and bring that out in your acting.

Your talking seems rushed, very quick talking, results in everything sounding curt and cut off, or other times things seem to blend together. There's some issues with your annunciation. Being more comfortable with what you are saying will help on that but it needs its own separate practice. Sometimes I'll do little vocal warmups, typically just tongue twisters. Aluminum Linoleum. Sally Sells Sea Shells. That gets your mouth ready and you'll be less likely to trip on your words. Making sure to actually say what you are reading fully will help slow things down a bit too. In fact if you can annunciate properly then talking fast is ok because people will still understand you. Take the difference between an untrained vocalist and a trained one doing one of those "offer legalize" things at the end of a commercial. The difference is "limitedsuppliesonlynomoneydueatsigningnottobecombinedwithotheroffers" compared to "LimitedSuppliesOnlyNoMoneyDueAtSigningNotToBeCombinedWithOtherOffers" We want to be at the equivalent of the latter.

Actually we should as a thread do that as practice. Get a nice chunk of end commercial legal stuff and get good at reading it as fast as possible while still being easily understood.

Sarcastic_MrFox
May 22, 2006

Not too fantastic but oh so sarcastic.
Hey there guys! I have a uni project coming up where I need to present a pitch for a potential commercial and I have an animatic for said commercial that I need some narration for. I have a script done for it and its only ~30 seconds long.

I'm looking for a commercial female voice I don't mind accents so long as its not too strong, if anyone can do a decent British accent that'd be super though.

I cant really pay much for this cause I'm a student and I'm sure you all know what kind of financial situation that puts me in but I am happy to buy a forums upgrade or paypal 10 bux or something.

I would need this done in the next 24 hours as the pitch is the next day.

PM me if you're keen :) thanks all!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Thanks, JossiRossi! Here's a more recent taping:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Did you know H.P. Lovecraft is a wordy fucker who won't shut his drat pen-hole? :mad:

Look man, I just want some tales of the macabre, not an entire thesaurus of "old" or "spooky" thrown in their you archaen antedeluvian cthonic heap of blasphemous monstrosity!

Pro-tip - the two recent BBC productions of his works, "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" and "At the Mountains of Madness" both are abridged versions. I can't agree more. Abridge the hell out of that guy and you've got some fun reading.

I mention this because making your very own audiobooks is cheap as hell, gives you loads of practice reading long passages and when you're done and have listened to your own books for a while you go completely insane and have to record new ones because oh lord what were you thinking with the last one? It's all in good fun right until you try a cold reading of "The Colour Out of Space" or some other long-winded Lovecraftian drivel. Dude, seriously, shut up and get to the monster parts I don't care about all the boring backstory.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I got a new audio interface for christmas and finally got around to hooking it up. It's bliss. I can finally monitor (and thus multitrack) myself in realtime. Sooooo nice to be able to hear what's going into the microphone as it happens. That's my biggest complaint with USB mics and such - I *have* to hear myself or I don't know what's going on.

This is for fun, as are most of my projects. I like falling asleep to Mr. Lovecrafts SpoOoOOoky tales so I'm building up a personal library of audio versions of some of his shorter stories. The longer stories are a nightmare. hahaha, the dude seriously loves his long words.

I hope you enjoy! Oh, and I have been paying attention to a lot of the tips in this thread so I hope the reading comes across well.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Name: CaptainYesterday

Specialties: Mid-to-low range voices, accents of all kinds, can do consistent falsetto voice, can only do impression of Texas Longhorns football coach Mack Brown, can sing, can act (BFA in drama)

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/CaptainYesterday

Portfolio: http://graysonlittle.wordpress.com/

Payment: None yet

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

CaptainYesterday posted:

Thanks, JossiRossi! Here's a more recent taping:

Sounding good! It sounds a bit thin, like the low end is almost removed. Are you doing anything specific to this recording EQ wise? Listening to it a bit louder I actually hear some puffs still. So not sure what's going on exactly.

Are you using noise removal? I thiiiiink I hear some of the artifacts introduced by noise removal plugins like the one Audacity has by default. Makes odd wavy tinny noises. Also seems a bit crackly? Please let me know if you are affecting anything here so I can pin down what I'm hearing.

Performance wise the flow is significantly better from the last example you put up. Huge improvement there. It's so good I actually forgot how bad I considered your other example... Seriously I almost let this compliment sit at only 2 sentences but you deserve more. MAJOR improvement on flow. Breaks make more sense and aid to comprehension instead of detract. The big issue standing out right now is your Annunciation. The best example of where you need to improve is specifically "VCR and Stereo Equipment" it's an extreme example of a problem that seems repeated. Certain syllable combinations are melting together making it hard to fully follow what is being said.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Thanks for the input. I'm using a Fostex X-14 Multitracker. Here's a new take, using your suggestions along with others I have heard.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

CaptainYesterday posted:

Thanks for the input. I'm using a Fostex X-14 Multitracker. Here's a new take, using your suggestions along with others I have heard.

Better, but still sounds like your mouth is full of air. Like you're somehow talking with your cheeks puffed out. A little sing-songy in parts. Define a solid "vision" of how you want to come across, and then practice it repeatedly using your natural voice. You can still sound authoritative using your natural voice, but if you try to sound like someone you're not, it definitely comes across as fakey.

Also, watch enunciation on your "N's." I've noticed that when you pronounce a word with an "N" towards the end, you instinctively rush it and end up muddling the entire word. Listen to how you say "furniture," "linens," and "additional" to hear what I'm talking about.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
You sound really tense and like you're "trying to sound authoritative". Like you're forcing an anouncer voice or something.

also "Bed and bath loonens!"

Other than that though, it sound's good!

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Here's mine you can tear apart:

Gettin ya hyped for some vcr's mahfucka

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

invision posted:

Here's mine you can tear apart:

Gettin ya hyped for some vcr's mahfucka

Mind removing the music? Not that it's bad, but it will mask underlying problems and makes it hard to give a proper review of your voice and the recording of it.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I took a turn at the Goldwater's sale script. Nice bit of text, looks a lot like things you'd run into for paid work.

I've got a new mic and recording setup, I'd like to know how I'm sounding. I ran an EQ on this track to suppress frequencies below 80Hz and am using a noise gate to clean up some background sound the mic is picking up. The recording location isn't ideal but is what I have to work with at the moment. I think there's a little compression on the track too.

titties
May 10, 2012

The Joe Man submitted a reading for the Gumby script that contained what I thought was a wonderfully nuanced voice. It put me to mind of an older gentleman, raised in some New York borough by Yiddish or Hebrew-speaking parents.

Even though I'm pretty sure it's not, I began to imagine that it was a heavily exaggerated version of his own voice and began to hear all of his posts in that manner. I can't replicate that awesome voice, but I can do a voice, of sorts ... and so I present for your amusement a selected reading from this thread's OP in the manner that now I hear it in my head.

I don't do characters or accents, so I apologize for this. Feel free to comment, as always I am thick-skinned so be as honest as you want.

E: I found out the other day that we're moving. The new place has a small space in the basement that can easily be sectioned off and used as my recording space (for maximum gooning). I ordered some mover's blankets and acoustic foam, I may not get a chance to record until everything is installed. Hopefully this stuff will help, wish me luck!

titties fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 31, 2012

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

My try at the Captain Fantastic script - I really should have kept my hands off that clicky pen, ugh.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
We're spinning up the SA GameDev VII game dev challenge, if anyone's game. Past entries have definitely made use of voice actors, and without folks like you, we'll suffer the hell of "programmers yelling into webcam mics".

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Shalinor posted:

We're spinning up the SA GameDev VII game dev challenge, if anyone's game. Past entries have definitely made use of voice actors, and without folks like you, we'll suffer the hell of "programmers yelling into webcam mics".
I'm sure we're all game, but any specific way you want to us to do it? I figure the easiest way would be to just give them a heads up that we're available, and they can stop in and request whatever they need when they're ready.

Eh?

EDIT: vvvvv Gotcha, thanks vvvvv

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 1, 2012

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

The Joe Man posted:

I'm sure we're all game, but any specific way you want to us to do it? I figure the easiest way would be to just give them a heads up that we're available, and they can stop in and request whatever they need when they're ready.

Eh?

Just cross promotin' is all. Think of it more as a head's up.

titties
May 10, 2012

I am studying under a dual major in entrepreneurship and marketing. I run into a lot of new and potential small business owners in my various classes, which has lead to an opportunity to produce a couple of radio spots for a new farmer's market that's opening up in the area.

I don't have any music for the spots, and I was hoping some of you more experienced guys could point me towards your favorite sources for public domain stuff.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

If there is money involved you can try to Musician's Lounge (or even if there isn't, might be people willing to do the practice). Also, lots of places that SAY their music is royalty free or public domain might not always actually be so.

Also if there IS money involved you can find many sites that allow you to purchase music for a price based on what it is used for.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Shalinor posted:

Seemed apropos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hahahh that's awesome.

I love watching voice actors at work. Here's a big bunch of them reading the Star Wars screenplay in different character voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBzRmWeC6Ds