Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Spotify just got released in Australia and I'm trying the beta app. Is there a way of choosing an artist and then having Spotify automatically create a playlist of similar music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

Spotify just got released in Australia and I'm trying the beta app. Is there a way of choosing an artist and then having Spotify automatically create a playlist of similar music?

There are 'apps' in the PC Spotify client that can do it, like last.fm suggestions, but unless the beta has those 'apps' you probably can't.

I wonder if the beta fixes the random crash when adding songs to a playlist. Spotify has terrible app support, they just barely released a universal iOS package.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Ragingsheep posted:

The rdio app has the ability to create artist station function at thus point. I really like the mobile app, although I don't know how their music selection compares to spotify's in Australia.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I downloaded Rdio today and I am liking it so far and the selection seems to be pretty good, I have only come across one artist that wasn't available. (Joana Newsome) The only problem I have is that I used to love stuff like this to listen to at work, but they have since blocked all streaming music apps, and I would have to listen to it on my phone hooked up to my speakers, which isn't an ideal solution. I am not sure yet if I will continue past the 7 day free trial.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Porkchop Express posted:

I downloaded Rdio today and I am liking it so far and the selection seems to be pretty good, I have only come across one artist that wasn't available. (Joana Newsome) The only problem I have is that I used to love stuff like this to listen to at work, but they have since blocked all streaming music apps, and I would have to listen to it on my phone hooked up to my speakers, which isn't an ideal solution. I am not sure yet if I will continue past the 7 day free trial.

One way to get around this would be to create a play list, or select several albums that you wanted to listen to ahead of time and sync it to your phone. I thought Australia was getting rid of the caps, sucks that places are so cheap there. RMIT wouldn't let me use java programs....

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Odd question. I'm looking to control a phone via wifi to manage pandora. I want to hook my old G1 up to the stereo and be able to control it via my PC to skip songs. Is this possible or am I stuck using a laptop and VNC like I've been doing.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Athanos posted:

One way to get around this would be to create a play list, or select several albums that you wanted to listen to ahead of time and sync it to your phone. I thought Australia was getting rid of the caps, sucks that places are so cheap there. RMIT wouldn't let me use java programs....

I don't live in Australia, and I am not to worried about data caps. I have never come close to my data cap, its more just that its kind of a pain in the rear end to play it through my desktop speakers from my phone. Its so much easier to play it directly from my computer.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Porkchop Express posted:

I don't live in Australia, and I am not to worried about data caps. I have never come close to my data cap, its more just that its kind of a pain in the rear end to play it through my desktop speakers from my phone. Its so much easier to play it directly from my computer.

Thought you were ragingsheep, my phone phone was a little slow, so I didn't scroll up to double check. That being said why not use a proxy to get around blocked sites?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Athanos posted:

Thought you were ragingsheep, my phone phone was a little slow, so I didn't scroll up to double check. That being said why not use a proxy to get around blocked sites?
That's a terrible solution. I assume the reason he doesn't like to use the PC speakers is because he doesn't like disconnecting them. In that case he could either get a speaker dock for his phone or some kind of adapter that would allow for two line in connections.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Or Bluetooth speakers.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Athanos posted:

That being said why not use a proxy to get around blocked sites?

I don't really trust a proxy site with my username and password, and I don't feel like setting up my own at home to connect, not to mention thats probably going to make it slower.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I assume the reason he doesn't like to use the PC speakers is because he doesn't like disconnecting them. In that case he could either get a speaker dock for his phone or some kind of adapter that would allow for two line in connections.

That is part of it, my desk at work sucks and getting to the back of the computer is a bit of a pain. Not only that but pausing music takes a little longer since I have to grab my phone, unlock it, and then pause it. Also where my office is also a parts room and I get a lot of foot traffic, so every time I leave my desk, which is often, I have to disconnect my phone and take it with me.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Oh, just get a M/F extension cable for your speakers, and run it out to the front. Then unplug your speakers from the extension and into your phone whenever, and never reach behind the PC again. $3.00 fix. :toot:

This is what I've got set up for switching from speakers to headphones, works great.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Splizwarf posted:

Oh, just get a M/F extension cable for your speakers, and run it out to the front. Then unplug your speakers from the extension and into your phone whenever, and never reach behind the PC again. $3.00 fix. :toot:

This is what I've got set up for switching from speakers to headphones, works great.

Or get something like this and you don't even have to unplug anything but the phone, and your computer sounds will still play while the phone is plugged in.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021808&p_id=669&seq=1&format=2

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Hey, duh; of course there's a perfect cable. That's rad, thanks! :tipshat:

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
To anyone who uses Google Currents, I just found out that it likes to cache EVERYTHING. The cache file is over 2GB on my SD card. I was wondering where all my space went...

What are some good alternatives?

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

FlyingCheese posted:

To anyone who uses Google Currents, I just found out that it likes to cache EVERYTHING. The cache file is over 2GB on my SD card. I was wondering where all my space went...

I'm quite fond of Pulse. Not exactly the same interface concept but pretty handy for skimming a number of news sources.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Feedly is the bomb for going through news feeds.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

FlyingCheese posted:

The ripped the Flipboard apk off the S III, which may or may not work on your phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1644212

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, Flipboard's pretty comprehensive and nice. Initial setup's a bit of a bitch, though.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Has anyone mentioned Glympse recently? It's one of the few apps that I use every day, to show my girlfriend where I am on the walk home from work. It's pretty great - easily the best location sharing app I've used.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Is there an app that will let me stream the audio from a video I am watching on my PC through my phone over wifi so I can listen through headphones without a stupidly long cable or an expensive bluetooth relay?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Manky posted:

Feedly is the bomb for going through news feeds.

This seems to be exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
I'm looking for a good recipe app. Preferably one that lets you input recipes on a website and then look at them on the phone. Also would be great if it could generate a shopping list based on that recipe.

Any recommendations?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Kameleon posted:

Is there an app that will let me stream the audio from a video I am watching on my PC through my phone over wifi so I can listen through headphones without a stupidly long cable or an expensive bluetooth relay?

I was gonna recommend Splashtop as it routes audio from the host PC but there's a delay in the audio compared to what's on the computer screen. :/

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Ragingsheep posted:

I got all excited that we'd finally gotten one of these streaming things americans rave on about all the time, downloaded it and all that and then remembered it requires facebook. gently caress that.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

FlyingCheese posted:

That sounds crazy. Any chance the offline reading settings were set to sync images from all editions? (Settings -> Sync Settings -> Offline Reading). Maybe tell it not to sync any images?

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

NewcastleBrown posted:

I'm looking for a good recipe app. Preferably one that lets you input recipes on a website and then look at them on the phone. Also would be great if it could generate a shopping list based on that recipe.

Any recommendations?

I'd recommend Pepper Plate. The website and the app are both very cleanly designed. You can add recipes online (or import them from other food websites) and have them show up on your app. From there you can push them to your shopping cart (which is organized by food group), set cooking timers, and multiply cooking quantities. The only negative I've found is photo's don't sync to the phone app (although they do sync to the tablet app). I emailed the developer about this and they're working on adding this in the future.

A lot of others will recommend Evernote and the like, but I prefer an app/website designed specifically for recipes rather than a re-purposed note-taking app.

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe

NewcastleBrown posted:

Any recommendations?

I've been using ChefTap. It syncs apps from various sites, so I just add custom recipes to my allrecipes account. It doesn't have a shopping list feature though, so the mentioned Pepper Plate could be better. I may try it myself.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mindframedesign.cheftap.beta

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I really, really hate to be -that guy- but I just hopped on the GNex boat today. I've set most of my stuff back up and fallen head over heels for Nova Launcher and looked at ICS Browser+ and picked up the Chrome Beta.

I'm on Verizon CDMA (gently caress you Verizon for your ISIS versus Wallet bullshit); what other apps do I need to maximize my ICS experience?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Can someone explain to me why Chrome Beta doesn't have Flash support?!

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

XIII posted:

It doesn't think you should pick tattoos off the wall :downsrim:

highme fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 23, 2012

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

highme posted:

It doesn't think you should pick tattoos off the wall :faildrum:

Haha, this really confused me, since I just posted a picture of my latest tattoo in the megathread.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It would have been less confusing if I didn't have to guess multiple times what the smiley was.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I don't get it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

If you're serious:

Flash is awful. It's resource-intensive and on a device where power is at a premium that's the last thing you want.

Worse than that, it's a security problem. Since Adobe has discontinued support for mobile Flash, they've had to update it twice to patch exploits.

That leads to the next problem which is that Adobe has ceased supporting mobile Flash, so even if Google wanted to continue supporting it, it's going to go away.

On top of all of that, it doesn't really do much except make the web awful and because of iOS it's gotten to the point where enough stuff works around it that it's no longer a necessity. I've always kept it on-demand in the Browser settings and in the two years it's been available I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've needed it.

tl;dr: Because Flash sucks.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I've been looking for an app I'm not sure exists: a simple tool that lets you load an audio file, scrub/scratch/seek back and forth, slow down, and transpose pitch to help me write lyrics for songs where I have recorded a gibberish vocal track on. Does anyone know of an app like that?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

snorch posted:

I've been looking for an app I'm not sure exists: a simple tool that lets you load an audio file, scrub/scratch/seek back and forth, slow down, and transpose pitch to help me write lyrics for songs where I have recorded a gibberish vocal track on. Does anyone know of an app like that?

Have you tried Tape Machine? I really like the interface, you scroll the wave form with your finger so seeking is really precise. I just have the free version and I can adjust speed, but I'm pretty sure the full version has pitch too.

e: hmmm I can't find any mention of pitch. I'd also like an app that can do what you want.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 23, 2012

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

WebDO posted:

(gently caress you Verizon for your ISIS versus Wallet bullshit)

Just side-load the app, I did recently and FINALLY got my prepaid card to activate and got a free $10.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

E30User posted:

I've been using ChefTap. It syncs apps from various sites, so I just add custom recipes to my allrecipes account. It doesn't have a shopping list feature though, so the mentioned Pepper Plate could be better. I may try it myself.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mindframedesign.cheftap.beta

This seems pretty nice. Much nicer than My Cookbook that I was using anyway. This is probably about as close as we're going to get to Paprika on Android unless the GoonDev decides to finally port it, which doesn't seem likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

Just side-load the app, I did recently and FINALLY got my prepaid card to activate and got a free $10.

Let me know if you find a way to actually spend that $10. It can't be used in the market and got declined at Home Depot for me.

• Locked thread