Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nothing says Chinese cleaver like MESSERMEISTER!

(kidding aside I assume it's at least decent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Not sure how good it is, but home.woot.com has a 8" Chinese knife for $25 that costs $65 on Amazon.

I hope its this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FntD3KgIaY

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'll let you know what I think. I ordered one because...well, I'm not sure.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

This. This cannot be real.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

That is a good knife!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Golbez posted:

Speaking of which: Is there a cliffs notes on the differences between white, red, and yellow onions? Which are good for what situations?

Yellow onions are a general purpose onion, and fit into most recipes

White onions are milder and can be served raw or cooked, generally they benefit from a short cooking time (Stir Fry, Fajitas)

Red Onions are typically served raw and seem to have more bite to them. Not often used in hot applications.

Vidalia onions are 'sweet', and have a very mild flavor. Makes good onion rings.

EDIT: What a surprise. The internet doesn't agree on the general strengths of onions. You can use onions interchangeably for the most part, but red onions are typically used raw and to add color to a dish.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Eh. Well. I'mmmmmmmooouaaawwrr :staredog:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Red onions are the most likely to cause "bubbly stomach", whatever's in them isn't as easily altered by heat.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Not sure how good it is, but home.woot.com has a 8" Chinese knife for $25 that costs $65 on Amazon.

:confused:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

It's a wootoff. The knives sold out, now they're on ... what might well be the opposite of knives.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
It's easy and fun!

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

WHAT AMAZING KNIFE

... "fun"??

I ended up burning the foie, unfortunately. Looks like the hottest pan I could muster was actually a bit too hot. Still ended up really tasty though. Had it on some grilled buttermilk quick bread with caramelized apples and brussels sprouts.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Happy Abobo posted:

I ended up burning the foie, unfortunately. Looks like the hottest pan I could muster was actually a bit too hot. Still ended up really tasty though. Had it on some grilled buttermilk quick bread with caramelized apples and brussels sprouts.

I'm not really a plating snob, but drat that plate needs some colour. I'm sure it tasted fine, but it looks like a grease trap emptied onto a burnt household sponge.

Speaking of which, are there any standard references on plating? Mostly I just wing it and steal ideas I like from other people. Seems like there ought to be something like Larousse (or at least Prochef) just on the presentation end (and I mean on a everyday working level, outside of crazy Haute cuisine poo poo).

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

SubG posted:

I'm not really a plating snob, but drat that plate needs some colour. I'm sure it tasted fine, but it looks like a grease trap emptied onto a burnt household sponge.

That's what it looked like! Definitely reminded me of something, but I couldn't quite place it.

Yeah, it was ugly as hell. I'm a terrible photographer, and the dish was ugly to begin with.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I'm sure someone who reads this thread lives in the Denver metro area. Where do y'all buy fish? I've had okay luck with Pacific Ocean in Broomfield but a more consistent source would be cool (outside of moving back west).

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
Okay, so I'm turning to you food geniuses for an answer here because I can't get a straight one via Google.

Is there a negative reason why Basa fish is so cheap?

Meaning, to the vast knowledge of the people assembled here, is there some kind of lore to avoid this stuff, or is it edible?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

olylifter posted:

Okay, so I'm turning to you food geniuses for an answer here because I can't get a straight one via Google.

Is there a negative reason why Basa fish is so cheap?

Meaning, to the vast knowledge of the people assembled here, is there some kind of lore to avoid this stuff, or is it edible?

well, it's definitely edible. no problem there. I find basa really bland, though, and texturally, not very exciting. If all you care for is a cheap, lean source of protein it should fit the bill just fine. But if you want something more culinarily exciting, basa is pretty forgettable.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The oatmeal of fish.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
To make me feel better about my failing brain/health, my family surprised me with Modernist Cuisine. WHAT DO I MAKE FIRST??????

Re:grocery chat- I go through phases where I solely extensively plan meals versus just buying what's on hand at the butcher and grocery. In the past few months, I've now settled on 50/50. I try to make at least 3 new dinners per week (new with respect to ingredient or technique) and really plan lists around then, and then for the rest I let availability guide me. The latter has led to lots of mashed potatoes, soups and stews, and various grilled meat. Having parents who rarely cooked growing up, most stuff qualifies as "new" to me; it's kind of fun trying to decide what to try making next since the options are limitless! Example: I never roasted (or even tried) a pork tenderloin until a few months ago, somehow. But now I freaking love that cut, and make a yummy pan sauce out of dry sherry and my (sadly dwindling) supply of duck stock. I didn't make my first loaf of bread until last December, how messed up is that?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Please help me, GWS. Tomorrow is the semi-official retirement date of the owners of our company. They are both Korean immigrants. We're having a food day for the celebration, and rather than bring another jello "salad" or 7 layer bean dip, I'd like to bring an authentic Korean dish. What can I prepare tonight with no Korean cuisine knowledge and few specialty ingredients?

Complication #1: one of them is a vegetarian.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Namul should be very easy and cheap to make, though it's more of a side dish than anything.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Bindaetteok are delish.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
You could make vegetable mandoo with a filling made of egg, tofu, bean sprouts, napa cabbage, onion, and vermicelli noodles.

Also Kimbap if you can find the yellow daikon pickles.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Thanks all. I think Skujunamul is going to be on the menu.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I have 8oz of soaked cannellini (white) beans. What should I make for dinner with them?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

I have 8oz of soaked cannellini (white) beans. What should I make for dinner with them?

the smallest batch of cassoulet ever.

white bean bruschetta.

some version of fabada where lima beans are replaced with cannelinis.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Saw this asked once in an older version of the thread but can't find it: I've got some prosciutto in the fridge. I'd hoped to make a nice melon and prosciutto salad, but the melons I've found have been awful lately. What else can I do with the prosciutto besides making awesome caprese sandwiches with bonus cured ham?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Prosciutto waffle with mustard seeds, gruyere and chives and a little syrup

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
edit: wait, new idea, and it's in season: Asparagus Wrapped in Crisp Prosciutto
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/asparagus-wrapped-in-crisp-prosciutto/

paraquat fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 23, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think you should probably make this. It sounds excellent, and there's definitely prosciutto in there somewhere.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I made some acidulated butter for a risotto recipe from "Heston Blumenthal at home". I used some of it and put the rest in the freezer. The recipe said "store in a freezer for up to a month". It's been about 1,5 months now and I haven't had time to make risotto lately. Is it still worth using, or should I toss it?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It'll be absolutely fine.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Doh004 posted:

I like to make a shrimp/fish scampi etc, except I take the seafood out and then heat the beans up in the liquid (wine oil garlic etc) for 5-10 minutes, then I put the seafood back in and serve it allnover slices of toasted, crusty bread.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
gravity I think linked a guide to the taste/shapes of chilli peppers. Does anyone know which it was?

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

Those dudes love manufuckuring ceramic knives.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Scott Bakula posted:

gravity I think linked a guide to the taste/shapes of chilli peppers. Does anyone know which it was?

yeah, he posted it in the chili thread
http://www.foodsubs.com/Chiledry.html

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
speaking of dried chilies I have a huge pile (cayenne, datil, jalepeno and serrano) I just got done drying and would like to make various powered blends of these. What is the smartest way to powder these without macing myself?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

speaking of dried chilies I have a huge pile (cayenne, datil, jalepeno and serrano) I just got done drying and would like to make various powered blends of these. What is the smartest way to powder these without macing myself?

old, clean, coffee grinder, magic bullet with flat blade base, or food processor. Just don't open it right away after grinding so that the pepper dust can settle.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

GrAviTy84 posted:

magic bullet with flat blade base

Reminds me of another question I had: What are the general rules for which blade to use in the magic bullet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Golbez posted:

Reminds me of another question I had: What are the general rules for which blade to use in the magic bullet?

regular blade: Blending, pureeing. flat blade: grinding, pulverizing.