Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

I dunno about that at all. The fact that Squall takes a near-fatal wound and then is magically better with no holes in his clothes or any sign of the wound is bizarre enough. Any cohesiveness in FF8 is only felt in Disc 1. Afterward, everything just kind of falls apart.
I borrowed my brother's copy of FF8, except he only gave me disc 1 because he was perpetually on disc 2. I was stuck on that cliffhanger for like a year and was totally convinced it was the greatest loving game ever. Then I finally bought a copy of my own :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I feel the same way. XIII is a thoroughly perplexing game because I bitched about the extreme linearity but once we got to Pulse, I missed that linearity. At least poo poo was happening and characters were developing in the first 70% of the game. once everything opens up, the game seems to lose itself.

To be fair, I didn't hate any of the main plot, it just did nothing to really endear itself. Like I said before, there were some nice scenes on Pulse and I actually really like Oerba, it's just they serve no practical purpose. Then Space Pope shows up and lets you know that if you won't break Cocoon, he will and it's off to the races, power of will, and Deus ex Machina. I didn't hate any of that, and the battles were still fun and the visuals were still great and I still liked the music, so there was no reason for me to feel like it invalidate the stuff I did like about the plot.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I still can't wrap my mind around the argument of:

Squall takes a severe wound from a magical attack in a world where magic is a real thing and the only possible explanation for him suddenly magically being healed with no signs of a wound is, "HE'S REALLY SLOWLY BLEEDING OUT AND EVERYTHING FROM THAT POINT ON IS A HALLUCINATION HIS DYING MIND MAKES UP BECAUSE SQUARESOFT WAS TOTALLY REFERENCING SOME SHORT STORY I ONCE READ IN MIDDLE SCHOOL AND IT'S MORE SYMBOLIC AND DEEP AND MEANINGFUL THAN THE STUPID ORPHANAGE PLOT TWIST AAAAAAHHHHHHH" :byodood:

No. Just no. He was injured, then healed magically offscreen. It wasn't ever shown in-game because the people making the game more than likely assumed the audience would be smart enough to remember, "Oh, right, healing magic," and move on from there.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Except nowhere is it shown where he was healed, when it was done, who it was by, nothing. It's as if it never happened, and if we're supposed to imply that someone casted Cure on him then that's just dumb. It's a plothole in a game that has enough plotholes to fill a meteorite crater.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 22, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

W.T. Fits posted:

No. Just no. He was injured, then healed magically offscreen. It wasn't ever shown in-game because the people making the game more than likely assumed the audience would be smart enough to remember, "Oh, right, healing magic," and move on from there.

Oh yeah? Then how do you explain Aeris, smart guy? :colbert:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Krad posted:

Oh yeah? Then how do you explain Aeris, smart guy? :colbert:

That was a weapon attack, not a magic attack. :owned:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

I still can't wrap my mind around the argument of:

Squall takes a severe wound from a magical attack in a world where magic is a real thing and the only possible explanation for him suddenly magically being healed with no signs of a wound is, "HE'S REALLY SLOWLY BLEEDING OUT AND EVERYTHING FROM THAT POINT ON IS A HALLUCINATION HIS DYING MIND MAKES UP BECAUSE SQUARESOFT WAS TOTALLY REFERENCING SOME SHORT STORY I ONCE READ IN MIDDLE SCHOOL AND IT'S MORE SYMBOLIC AND DEEP AND MEANINGFUL THAN THE STUPID ORPHANAGE PLOT TWIST AAAAAAHHHHHHH" :byodood:

It makes total sense when you say it like that, but its also completely contrary to 15 years of JRPG tradition up to that point. All those dumb theories are just coming out of the cognitive dissonance that these games have trained us to develop about the differences between the mild inconvenience of battle-death and the finality of cutscene-death. Why didn't any of the Aeris resurrection legends involve Cloud using a phoenix down? Its because we implicitly know that's against the rules of the game.

And that's why video games suck.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

Except nowhere is it shown where he was healed

And it shouldn't have to be if you can be assed to remember that magic healing exists and logical enough to extrapolate that conclusion on your own. I would rather have the game developers assume I'm smart enough to draw a simple logical conclusion than have them assume I'm dumb enough to need every minor plot detail explained away because otherwise "OH MY GOD THIS MAKES NO SENSE".

The game's pacing is already atrocious. Do you really need an extra five to ten minute scene of Edea monologuing as she or one of her goons casts Curaga on Squall before cuffing his unconscious rear end and dragging him off to prison?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

W.T. Fits posted:

And it shouldn't have to be if you can be assed to remember that magic healing exists and logical enough to extrapolate that conclusion on your own. I would rather have the game developers assume I'm smart enough to draw a simple logical conclusion than have them assume I'm dumb enough to need every minor plot detail explained away because otherwise "OH MY GOD THIS MAKES NO SENSE".

The game's pacing is already atrocious. Do you really need an extra five to ten minute scene of Edea monologuing as she or one of her goons casts Curaga on Squall before cuffing his unconscious rear end and dragging him off to prison?

It would take all of two seconds, which is how long it took for Selphie to heal a Moomba following the scene. It would have been better than Squall having a ridiculous dumb-sounding inner monologue about his wound... no wound... ?!!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

W.T. Fits posted:

Don't have Squall point out his wound is gone for no reason then. If he can't even think of someone using Cure, we shouldn't have to either.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, I also think it's bullshit that people are constantly being killed by poisonous gas and death magic and big sharp claws and being crushed by boulders and every time they can just huff some phoenix feathers and come back, except for when you can't because the sword is just too long.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

It would take all of two seconds, which is how long it took for Selphie to heal a Moomba following the scene. It would have been better than Squall having a ridiculous dumb-sounding inner monologue about his wound... no wound... ?!!

Or you could, you know, use your brain to figure out that someone must have healed him off camera. Maybe even use in-game evidence to support that it's possible for people to be healed by magic outside of combat. Like, say, by a two-second scene of Selphie using Cure to heal a Moomba.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

http://squallsdead.com/ :tinfoil:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Squall is completely out during the whole thing. The player doesn't witness anything that happened between him getting pierced apart and him waking up healed. There's nothing incredibly obtuse about it; we were playing only on his point of view until then, and it made thematic sense to continue to do so at least until he woke up. It's not rocket science.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Krad posted:

It is if you only end up with a bunch of side-quests instead of a continuous narrative. :colbert:

I enjoy the World of Ruin part but it really could have used a lot more unique dialogue for characters. Even a little bit could have gone a long way instead of having a lot of vague unlabeled "lead character dialogue".

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

W.T. Fits posted:

Or you could, you know, use your brain to figure out that someone must have healed him off camera. Maybe even use in-game evidence to support that it's possible for people to be healed by magic outside of combat. Like, say, by a two-second scene of Selphie using Cure to heal a Moomba.

Or, they could, you know, just have had a scene where Squall gets cured or not have him mention the wound at all with him just waking up to find himself imprisoned.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, if my last memory was of me being pierced by a magic icicle and bleed to death in front of Rinoa, when I would next wake up I wouldn't even wonder what the hell happened and why there is no longer a hole in my chest. Makes sense.

But please, carry on your rant and ignore everyone making a point outright explaining why your argument is silly.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, if my last memory was of me being pierced by a magic popcicle and bleed to death in front of Rinoa, when I would next wake up I wouldn't even wonder what the hell happened and why there is no longer a hole in my chest. Makes sense.

It would fit well with everything else FF8 fails to explain about anything.

The point is that it comes off as a dumb scene. Like someone else pointed out, if Squall can't even figure out how he got healed, then why should we infer anything?

If Squall had said, "My wound... no wound... must have been a Cure spell..." then the whole scene would work. Instead, it just leaves a huge hole in what happened.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 23, 2012

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

Like someone else pointed out, if Squall can't even figure out how he got healed, then why should we infer anything?

Because then your laziness just makes you come across as being stupider than Squall. He didn't think of it because it wasn't important. You're deliberately choosing not to think of it because he didn't.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

W.T. Fits posted:

Because then your laziness just makes you come across as being stupider than Squall. He didn't think of it because it wasn't important. You're deliberately choosing not to think of it because he didn't.

Because a character in-game should be able to recognize some semblance of the universe's logic, ESPECIALLY when another character proceeds to Cure someone else five minutes later. It's outright non-explanation, much like most of the rest of FF8. It's the point where the game just has things happening and refuses to actually explain any of it, besides "oh poo poo that was cool!"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

Because a character in-game should be able to recognize some semblance of the universe's logic, ESPECIALLY when another character proceeds to Cure someone else five minutes later.

It's not important for Squall to recognize it, as long as the player understands it. They choose to convey the information by having Selphie heal the Moomba because it gives her something to do in the next scene while Quistis and Zell are talking about other poo poo. That way, the player gets both an explanation for why Squall's not dead at the same they get exposition about other stuff that's happening.

In other words, they used a storytelling technique ("show, don't tell") to fill in the plot hole you think is there, but you're just too hellbent on hating on the game to recognize it. Did they do a poor job of utilizing this particular technique? Of course they did, they utilized poor storytelling techniques throughout the game. That doesn't invalidate the fact that they conveyed the loving information required for you to figure out how Squall survived, and if you continue to choose not to recognize that, then you're just being willfully obtuse out of spite for the game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Even if it's just a dumb theory, the fact is that FF8's story is such poo poo that "Squall is dead" actually makes it better.

Valigarmanda
May 15, 2007

The frozen creature began emitting an eerie light...

Evil Fluffy posted:

Even if it's just a dumb theory, the fact is that FF8's story is such poo poo that "Squall is dead" actually makes it better.

Discussion over.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In all these years I never knew that "Squall is dead" and "Why is there no wound!!!" was a thing people in all seriousness discussed.
I wish I had gone longer, not knowing.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Valigarmanda posted:

Discussion over.

In other news: I think I preferred Tritoch over Valigarmanda for the name of that Esper. What the hell is a Valigarmanda anyway? However, I do like that he was subtly hinted at existing in FFXIII-2.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Azure_Horizon posted:

In other news: I think I preferred Tritoch over Valigarmanda for the name of that Esper. What the hell is a Valigarmanda anyway? However, I do like that he was subtly hinted at existing in FFXIII-2.

It's a weird mangling of like "vary-garuda-salamander" or something. Which makes sense because it looks like a garuda with salamander bits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, it's basically supposed to be three elemental-themed beasts in one. Kind of a chimera but goofier.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 23, 2012

Valigarmanda
May 15, 2007

The frozen creature began emitting an eerie light...

Azure_Horizon posted:

Did you pronounce it Try-toch or Tri-tock or tree-tock? I've heard so many different ways!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Valigarmanda posted:

Did you pronounce it Try-toch or Tri-tock or tree-tock? I've heard so many different ways!

Try-toch and tri-tock have the same pronunciation. :) But that one.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So is there any word on if the "Heroes of Light and Darkness" game is actually going to come out in english? Because I need a new Job System Final Fantasy like I need food and water.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dr Pepper posted:

So is there any word on if the "Heroes of Light and Darkness" game is actually going to come out in english? Because I need a new Job System Final Fantasy like I need food and water.

None, and no word on Bravery Default either. Cross your fingers for E3, I guess.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

There's been no news in any language since the iOS port was announced at TGS.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Jesus Christ, I looked at my subscriptions and noticed, hey! Over 100+ posts! Maybe there's some news on a new FF game, because after all, E3 is in a few weeks!

And then I clicked the read latest posts button.

Haha. In short, I agree with WTFits. FF8 is a game that repeatedly uses a specific storytelling technique where they don't explain basic poo poo because they expect the player to be on the ball. It's painfully obvious that is how Squall is alive. He was needed for interrogation, what does Edea gain from his death? Nothing. Maybe they could have added a "Maybe they healed me? But for what?" after the "no wound?" line, maybe not. But the logic is already there and merits zero questioning beyond petty fan discussion.

I find it interesting how a lot of FF8's detractors complain about the story and storytelling but then end up being mad that certain things aren't specifically said, but are heavily implied and need the game to guide them to understand what's going on , like in any every other Final Fantasy. Isn't it ironic that their favorite entry to hate on for its story is also the one Final Fantasy - besides 12, of course :allears: - that does gives its audience enough credit to figure out what's going on without explaining and hand holding them through each and every detail?

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 24, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Himuro posted:

Jesus Christ, I looked at my subscriptions and noticed, hey! Over 100+ posts! Maybe there's some news on a new FF game, because after all, E3 is in a few weeks!

And then I clicked the read latest posts button.

Haha. In short, I agree with WTFits. FF8 is a game that repeatedly uses a specific storytelling technique where they don't explain basic poo poo because they expect the player to be on the ball. It's painfully obvious that is how Squall is alive. He was needed for interrogation, what does Edea gain from his death? Nothing. Maybe they could have added a "Maybe they healed me? But for what?" after the "no wound?" line, maybe not. But the logic is already there and merits zero questioning beyond petty fan discussion.

I find it interesting how a lot of FF8's detractors complain about the story and storytelling but then end up being mad that certain things aren't specifically said, but are heavily implied and need the game to guide them to understand what's going on , like in any every other Final Fantasy. Isn't it ironic that their favorite entry to hate on for its story is also the one Final Fantasy - besides 12, of course :allears: - that does gives its audience enough credit to figure out what's going on without explaining and hand holding them through each and every detail?
This definitely explains why nothing past Disc 1 makes any sense, of course.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Azure_Horizon posted:

This definitely explains why nothing past Disc 1 makes any sense, of course.

Again, I call bullshit, the game makes fine sense up until Ultimecia comes out of nowhere and you're like "Wait what? Edea's not the main villain??" I think that's on the third disc, but maybe its on the second. Yeah the story falls apart like every Final Fantasy game, but you gotta be pretty thick to not be able to follow the game immediately after Disc 1.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Thing is with Ultimecia, you've got the scrapings of a good backstory there, what with the whole trying to prevent a pre-ordained fate, persecuted and feared as a sorceress thing, but no.

There was a good suggestion in the FFVIII thread, about her intercepting the party at different times, which from her point of view would be in a non-linear fashion or something along those lines. Really hammer in that time travel stuff. But of course, the game designers really wanted that love story didn't they. :rolleyes:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 24, 2012

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
It shouldn't be a surprise that FF8's story is a bit of a mess; it was constructed from a bunch of ideas that didn't make it into FF7. Edea was originally supposed to be in FF7, for example; so was the whole sorceress-and-her-knight thing.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

As opposed to FF13-2 literally being made of up bits that they couldn't fit into the first game.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

As opposed to FF13-2 literally being made of up bits that they couldn't fit into the first game.

:ironicat: "Oh, but they didn't do that!"

quote:

"I think those comments have been really badly misinterpreted. The fact is that when making any game you need to come up with lots of different ideas and designs that you weigh up against each other before picking the best one. Obviously in that process a lot of ideas and designs have to be discarded," he explained.

He went on to assure fans that the development team has stayed away from this unused material when working on the sequel.

"We have never knowingly picked up these kind of ideas and recycled them. That's not what we do. It's natural for anyone making games to throw away ideas but the scenario of FFXIII-2 is completely newly written and has no connection to anything we didn't use for FFXIII", he added.
Of course they loving did, did they really think us that stupid? It's insulting! How else did they manage to poo poo out XIII-2 in 18 months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Fungah! posted:

You what? The World of Ruin was awesome. Wander the world and see what it looks like post-apocalypse, doing cool quests and getting the band back together! Or don't, go right to the final dungeon! Whatever man! There was a ton of great stuff and just because the overarching plot was more or less wrapped up until it was time to kill Kefka doesn't mean there weren't a bunch of cool plotlines to follow up on.

The problem I had was theres this weird synchronization with what's going on. Because of the non-linearity the character's personal quests are all so self contained, and once they're over the characters become mute (outside of the generic dialouge thats assigned based on party slots). It just makes everything feel so disconnected from the actual events going on in the world, and in a way makes their quests feel meaningless because they will never again come up until the ending credits.

FF6 suffered a bit from having too many characters. The early characters get like Terra, Locke, Celes, Edgar and Sabin are really deep and great.
Characters like Mog and Cyan...eh.