Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Toucan Sam posted:

My guilty pleasure is reading and enjoying Tucker Max books. He spent time on the Time Bandit during season 7, he was there for the egg attack also. Tucker is a douche but he has a whole chapter on the show which gives a lot of funny insight to the behind the scenes antics.

Huge wall of text about Elliott from my Kindle

Might as well include a funny Keith story

Ha, I didn't know Tucker Max was on the Time Bandit.

He's a total douche, but goddamn can he write a funny story. It's a rare book that can make me laugh out loud while reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

golgo13sf posted:

Ha, I didn't know Tucker Max was on the Time Bandit.

He's a total douche, but goddamn can he write a funny story. It's a rare book that can make me laugh out loud while reading it.

That's the thing, i wouldn't really like him in real life most likely but in book form he makes me laugh. Here's pics from his trip with the Time Bandit.

http://www.tuckermax.com/pictures/album/72157625833842584/the-deadliest-vacation.html

The Deadliest Vacation chapter is worth buying Hilarity Ensues, at least on the Kindle.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Toucan Sam posted:

That's the thing, i wouldn't really like him in real life most likely but in book form he makes me laugh. Here's pics from his trip with the Time Bandit.

Probably the only story he's ever written that actually happened as described.

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

Toucan Sam posted:

http://www.tuckermax.com/pictures/album/72157625833842584/the-deadliest-vacation.html

The Deadliest Vacation chapter is worth buying Hilarity Ensues, at least on the Kindle.

The guys on the Time Bandit know what's really important.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Probably the only story he's ever written that actually happened as described.

No doubt, but that dude can write funny poo poo.

Some people just have a talent for story-telling. I knew a guy once that would have you doubled over crying from laughing just telling you about his wait at the DMV.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I'm not even done with the episode, and I think Mythbusters has evolved into a lesser show than it ever has been, but that demonstration of stability was as elegant and as beautifully captured as any explanation I've ever seen of the physics of flight, particularly ballistic projectile dynamics. All from a little doll on balsa wood.

Sometimes, you remember why you loved this show, and why even in a lesser state, it's good it's still around.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 10, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
True, I can't remember that last time I enjoyed an episode of Mythbusters as much as I did the last one.

The fireworks man was brilliant.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I don't get Keith. Every season he hires complete shitheads for his boat, spends half the season yelling at them for being shitheads, fires them, then hires more shitheads for the other half of the season and spends the rest of the season yelling at them. And occasionally slams cameramen against walls for not getting him coffee.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Some people literally have no interviewing or hiring skills. I would say it comes down to a general weakness in analytical thinking.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't get Keith. Every season he hires complete shitheads for his boat, spends half the season yelling at them for being shitheads, fires them, then hires more shitheads for the other half of the season and spends the rest of the season yelling at them. And occasionally slams cameramen against walls for not getting him coffee.

I would imagine at this point that only shitheads even try to work on Keith's boat.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well to be at least somewhat fair, one of the shitheads he currently has is Mouse's fault, and we haven't seen enough of the second guy to judge if he is useless yet.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

TaurusOxford posted:

Well to be at least somewhat fair, one of the shitheads he currently has is Mouse's fault, and we haven't seen enough of the second guy to judge if he is useless yet.

Ultimately it was Keith's call though. The fact that Keith didn't know just how GREEN this guy was before he got on the boat is Keith's fault. He should have demanded that information from his brother before accepting a recommendation like that. All his brother told him was that he was a real nice kid who looked right or something.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ToastyPotato posted:

Ultimately it was Keith's call though. The fact that Keith didn't know just how GREEN this guy was before he got on the boat is Keith's fault. He should have demanded that information from his brother before accepting a recommendation like that. All his brother told him was that he was a real nice kid who looked right or something.

Watching the episode again, Keith states that "My brother said that our current hire was the best looking young kid he saw all Summer". Now, I can see your side of the argument here and yes, Keith should have asked for a more detailed description, but given that Keith probably trusts his brother's judgement, he probably thought Mouse wouldn't say this about a guy who didn't have a shot at doing the job.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

wormil posted:

Some people literally have no interviewing or hiring skills. I would say it comes down to a general weakness in analytical thinking.
THERE IS NO "SORRY" ON THE BERING SEA!

Keith would do well to remember those words he said when one of his crew members dies after after being seriously injured and he tells them to put a bandage on it and get the gently caress back out on deck or he insists that the crew put down a string of pots in the middle of forty-foot waves.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I would imagine at this point that only shitheads even try to work on Keith's boat.

Freddie :(

Also, don't Wizard crew members make a lot more cash than everyone else in general?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

SteelAngel2000 posted:

ah poo poo you're right. That dude is a perfect fit for a Hillstrand boat instead, dammit.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Is it just me mishearing what he's saying, or is Jeremy Wade literally in a place populated by cattle-rustling cowboys and gold-prospecting ninjas? Because I swear that's what he said...

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Welp looks like someone finally gets really hosed up on Keith's boat Tuesday night!

The preview commercial shows him tending to a crew member and calling the Coast Guard.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I haven't read that spoiler, but whatever it is, an injury was pretty much inevitable on that boat.

Toucan Sam posted:

Might as well include a funny Keith story

I despise Keith as much as any other right thinking person, but unless I'm missing some important context, he's not the one that comes out badly from that repugnant story.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It didn't look like a real injury in the preview, more like an exposure-related breakdown of some kind.

Mythbusters was good this week. I never would have guessed that bullets would ricochet off pavement with that much energy remaining.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

haveblue posted:

It didn't look like a real injury in the preview, more like an exposure-related breakdown of some kind.

Mythbusters was good this week. I never would have guessed that bullets would ricochet off pavement with that much energy remaining.

drat, I completely forgot that show is on Sundays now.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Jamie sounded like he had a really bad cold last night.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Also, don't Wizard crew members make a lot more cash than everyone else in general?

Yes but that's in large part due to the Wizard being loving huge comparatively speaking (in size and it seems quota) and Keith's complete disregard for safety while running his crew ragged. I wouldn't want to do the jobs these guys do, but I wouldn't even get on a rowboat with Keith as captain. I know a guy who used to do commercial fishing and a bad captain is apparently a very very bad thing, like don't even set foot on that deck.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well it looks like the Wizard crew member that got himself in deep poo poo tonight either went down due to severe dehydration, shock, or a massive seizure. Any one of those three things is a goddamn awful thing to have happen in the middle of the Bering Sea.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
With him saying the side of his body felt tingly, I'm thinking a stroke.

Having a stroke out on a crab boat :gonk:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I'm impressed Kieth didn't tell him to shotgun a handful of Vicodin and get back on deck.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

SteelAngel2000 posted:

The way his fingers are curling it wasn't a stroke according to the people I watched it with

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Frot Lesnar posted:

The way his fingers are curling it wasn't a stroke according to the people I watched it with
I don't know what life experience taught me this, but that is usually a pretty clear sign of dehydration. Hopefully it is not worse than that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Parks posted:

I don't know what life experience taught me this, but that is usually a pretty clear sign of dehydration. Hopefully it is not worse than that.

Maybe we'll get to see Keith try to get an IV in the guy in a Bearing Sea storm. :ohdear:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I just watched Kari Byron fart on TV to prove a point. Mythbusters owns sometimes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Crazy Ted posted:

I just watched Kari Byron fart on TV to prove a point. Mythbusters owns sometimes.

Well, they were right that it was a terrible idea.

The myth they confirmed by blowing up a car 30 seconds in and going "welp, no more myth, we can't run this on TV!" was great though.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

The myth they confirmed by blowing up a car 30 seconds in and going "welp, no more myth, we can't run this on TV!" was great though.
Yeah, that was pretty great, especially since all of the professional scientists the Mythbusters team consulted said there was no way the van would explode.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I get the feeling they could probably do 4-5 hours of nothing but bloopers, extras and other behind the scenes stuff and it would probably be great.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Maybe its because I marathoned the arly seasons and got burned out but this season of Deadliest Catch is doing much for me.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Early seasons of Deadliest Catch had a much lower level of blatant 'reality' scripting. It's fairly tiresome nowadays because they've decided the actual day to day isn't really interesting enough any more.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Early seasons of Deadliest Catch had a much lower level of blatant 'reality' scripting. It's fairly tiresome nowadays because they've decided the actual day to day isn't really interesting enough any more.

Maybe it is because I watch trash like Ax Men, well this is the last season I will have watched at least, but DC doesn't seem any where near as scripted as, well, just about any of the other reality shows these channels have.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Maybe it is because I watch trash like Ax Men, well this is the last season I will have watched at least, but DC doesn't seem any where near as scripted as, well, just about any of the other reality shows these channels have.

I think it isn't 'scripted' like a reality show, but more like it is edited like one.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Deadliest Catch has always felt like the most real (as minimally scripted as possible) of the reality shows...but the GoPro camera strapped across the Greenhorn's chest as he was taken off the boat and loaded into the USCG helicopter was pretty ridiculous...

"Holy crap, this kid is in bad shape..."
"Gang, can we just strap this little...camera...across him here? For TV? There we go!"

Also, didn't Flying Wild Alaska just end? They're already talking a new season in a couple weeks.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 23, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The only reason I believe Deadliest Catch isn't scripted is that none of those guys could act for poo poo. You can really tell when you see them in any other context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I wish they hadn't changed the quota system after the first or second season. The way it used to work where the season opened and everybody raced around trying to catch as much crab as they could before they got the notice that the season was ending made for way better television.

• Locked thread