Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

MotoMind posted:

Great reply, thank you.

I'm still not clear on one thing. How can sideways force be calculated? Isn't that also tied to the mass? F=MV^2?

Edit: F=mv^2/r isn't it? So what gain do you get from altering weight distribution or total weight? Isn't it kind of a wash since M factors into each equation?
F=mv*v, keep your r's out of it. The rear tire has a larger contact patch, so it's capable of supporting a greater lateral load for a given normal force.
Friction doesn't tell the whole story on traction though. Adhesion is also important, which is why the contact patch matters, while the friction equation (F=normal*mu)would have you believe otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Zool posted:

F=mv*v, keep your r's out of it. The rear tire has a larger contact patch, so it's capable of supporting a greater lateral load for a given normal force.
Friction doesn't tell the whole story on traction though. Adhesion is also important, which is why the contact patch matters, while the friction equation (F=normal*mu)would have you believe otherwise.

The r was for calculating sideways force, which I take to be centripetal force? Anyhow, either way it looks like mass works against you, as much as it works for you in static traction. Or am I wrong?

I mean, somehow road cyclists manage to make it around corners on a contact patch the size of a pin.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

MotoMind posted:

I mean, somehow road cyclists manage to make it around corners on a contact patch the size of a pin.
At much lower speed and weight. Road race tires on a bicycle also have very tall profiles, so it's extremely small when upright to reduce rolling friction, but increases to a couple postage stamps in size when they're leaned over.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

MotoMind posted:

The r was for calculating sideways force, which I take to be centripetal force? Anyhow, either way it looks like mass works against you, as much as it works for you in static traction. Or am I wrong?

Ah, the radius of the turn, yeah that works.

Mass works for you as much as it works against you in static FRICTION, but not in adhesion, so traction is benefited by lower mass.

Keep in mind that as far as static friction is concerned, the size of the contact patch is totally irrelevant. Only the normal force, and friction coefficient of the materials matter.

Of course if static friction were the only thing going on the maximum acceleration would be at 1G, at the best possible time at a drag strip would be 9 seconds.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
I just got my first bike (2008 Yamaha FZ6.) I have questions... I checked the wiki, which seems to be 404ing, and the OP doesn't really have any links to cover my questions..

I'm looking at frame sliders to get, but can't find any good reviews. Mostly, it seems people advise not to use frame sliders on the bike since there's the possibility of stripping the engine mount bolts out of the aluminum frame at higher speed falls. I plan on riding this in the parking lot a ton until I get comfortable with everything, so I'm mostly concerned (at the moment) with parking lot speed drops, and what they'd do to the bike without the sliders.

Given the possibility of totaling the bike at low speed, which I assume is possible regardless of what protective accessories I apply to it, are frame sliders worth it? (Keep in mind, first bike)

Is there a brand of frame sliders that is head and shoulders above the rest?

What material should they be made of? (Are carbon ones just gimmicky? I couldn't care less about the appearance.)

Any other general tips regarding these bikes would be very helpful.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I'm new to all this, so I have a dumb question. I've seen a lot of people referring to "squids". They seem to be referring to either newbies or idiots without gear. Where does this nickname come from?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Day Man posted:

I'm new to all this, so I have a dumb question. I've seen a lot of people referring to "squids". They seem to be referring to either newbies or idiots without gear. Where does this nickname come from?

Stupid Quick Under-dressed Imminently Dead

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The only explanation for the word "squid" I've heard is that it's an acronym for "Stupid Quick Underdressed Imminently Dead".

Usually young males with next to no protective gear, almost always going recklessly fast and doing stupid poo poo. Basically racers without racing skills. And on public roads.

efb

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Learn something new every day I guess.. I just thought it was a term for an idiot.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Thanks! I'll do my best not to be one of those. :)

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

SaNChEzZ posted:

Learn something new every day I guess.. I just thought it was a term for an idiot.

All squids are idiots, but not all idiots are squids :eng101:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Zool posted:

Ah, the radius of the turn, yeah that works.

Mass works for you as much as it works against you in static FRICTION, but not in adhesion, so traction is benefited by lower mass.

Keep in mind that as far as static friction is concerned, the size of the contact patch is totally irrelevant. Only the normal force, and friction coefficient of the materials matter.

Of course if static friction were the only thing going on the maximum acceleration would be at 1G, at the best possible time at a drag strip would be 9 seconds.

So if lower mass helps, what's this business with shifting weight forward when turning in? Presumably a motorcycle with 50lbs of ballast up front won't corner any better, so why would altering suspension attitude to put more weight on the front contact patch do anything?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Bloody Queef posted:

Stupid Quick Under-dressed Imminently Dead

That's a new one on me. I was certain it was short for squirrelly kid.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
I noticed that the front wheel on my CB500T doesn't spin freely. I took this here picture.

I apologize for the lovely focus, but what you might be able to see is that the brake pads are right up against the disc. Is that normal?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Synonamess Botch posted:

Thats what i allways thought too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

angrytech posted:

I noticed that the front wheel on my CB500T doesn't spin freely. I took this here picture.

I apologize for the lovely focus, but what you might be able to see is that the brake pads are right up against the disc. Is that normal?

Yeah it's normal. Shouldn't have excessive drag though. You can test it by riding around your neighborhood or a parking lot easy enough to not use your front brake. Then get off the bike and feel the front disc. If it's hot like you've been using it, it's too much drag and you might need to bleed the front brake.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah it's normal. Shouldn't have excessive drag though. You can test it by riding around your neighborhood or a parking lot easy enough to not use your front brake. Then get off the bike and feel the front disc. If it's hot like you've been using it, it's too much drag and you might need to bleed the front brake.

I actually flushed the brake line this weekend. I know Z3n mentioned in some other thread that it's possible to overfill it, but would that cause the drag when it's been sitting in a garage for 2 days?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

MotoMind posted:

Presumably a motorcycle with 50lbs of ballast up front won't corner any better, so why would altering suspension attitude to put more weight on the front contact patch do anything?
You can't compare adding weight, to moving the weight you're stuck with around on the chassis. For normal riding as long has the front tire has sufficient grip on turn in, it doesn't matter how the load is distributed. If you're racing having the weight over the front tire compresses the front suspension, which changes the steering geometry making the bike turn in faster. It's also just where it is since you're trail braking to the apex, then getting back on the throttle.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
So how long does Bikebandit usually take to ship out an order? I bought a couple screws, bolts, and nuts from them yesterday morning, the order status hasn't moved, and now I am getting impatient because this is 2012 and I need instant gratification.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

When you're breaking (or torquing down) the rear wheel nut on a single-sided swingarm bike, what's the best way to go? My official workshop manual says to put it in gear but that makes me nervous and confused. Confused because the torque spec for the nut is like >100ft-lb so would the engine even provide enough resistance?

Stand on the brake? Shove a 2x4 between a spoke and the swingarm?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

angrytech posted:

Check the disc for heat like the guy said, and if it's cold, think about checking the wheel bearings.

frunksock posted:

When you're breaking (or torquing down) the rear wheel nut on a single-sided swingarm bike, what's the best way to go? My official workshop manual says to put it in gear but that makes me nervous and confused. Confused because the torque spec for the nut is like >100ft-lb so would the engine even provide enough resistance?

Stand on the brake? Shove a 2x4 between a spoke and the swingarm?
Standing on the brake works. 1st gear should hold it just fine, thanks to the ratio of the gears. High gear wouldn't.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Synonamess Botch posted:

I've always liked the reasoning that they move like squids: fast in a straight line, but have to come to a nearly complete stop to turn.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

So how long does Bikebandit usually take to ship out an order? I bought a couple screws, bolts, and nuts from them yesterday morning, the order status hasn't moved, and now I am getting impatient because this is 2012 and I need instant gratification.

They can take forever if the parts arent in their warehouse. Unfortunately theres no way for you to know that ahead of time

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Standing on the brake works. 1st gear should hold it just fine, thanks to the ratio of the gears. High gear wouldn't.

I think the nut might be over-torqued. I can overcome the engine in 1st without breaking the nut. I can overcome the brake, or at least what force I can put on it with the awkwardness of the exhaust location -- I thought I had it all on -- it took a bit of grunting before the wheel started to move (I got excited and thought it was the nut moving, for a second). Though, the whole reason I'm taking off the wheel is to replace the pads and flush the fluid. I guess it's 2x4 time. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

frunksock posted:

I think the nut might be over-torqued. I can overcome the engine in 1st without breaking the nut. I can overcome the brake, or at least what force I can put on it with the awkwardness of the exhaust location -- I thought I had it all on -- it took a bit of grunting before the wheel started to move (I got excited and thought it was the nut moving, for a second). Though, the whole reason I'm taking off the wheel is to replace the pads and flush the fluid. I guess it's 2x4 time. :(

Have a buddy who can hold down the rear brake for you?

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Z3n posted:

Have a buddy who can hold down the rear brake for you?
Yeah, but not until this weekend and I'd really like to be done before then. I do think I might have had it all on anyway.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hang something heavy off the brake lever maybe?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

YarPirate posted:

I just got my first bike (2008 Yamaha FZ6.) I have questions... I checked the wiki, which seems to be 404ing, and the OP doesn't really have any links to cover my questions..

I'm looking at frame sliders to get, but can't find any good reviews. Mostly, it seems people advise not to use frame sliders on the bike since there's the possibility of stripping the engine mount bolts out of the aluminum frame at higher speed falls. I plan on riding this in the parking lot a ton until I get comfortable with everything, so I'm mostly concerned (at the moment) with parking lot speed drops, and what they'd do to the bike without the sliders.

Given the possibility of totaling the bike at low speed, which I assume is possible regardless of what protective accessories I apply to it, are frame sliders worth it? (Keep in mind, first bike)

Is there a brand of frame sliders that is head and shoulders above the rest?

What material should they be made of? (Are carbon ones just gimmicky? I couldn't care less about the appearance.)

Any other general tips regarding these bikes would be very helpful.

The issue you're reading about may be FZ6 specific or may just be general differences of opinion regarding sliders. Unfortunately opinion is divided in general terms.

Detractors say that if a slider digs into soft ground or if it hits a hard stop (e.g. a curb) while sliding, it acts as a lever and bends or breaks whatever it's attached to, which may be the frame or an extrusion thereof. Proponents will say that in most cases it saves the frame or (for road bikes) very expensive plastics, and can keep the bike rideable in the interim.

To prevent the slider shock-loading its mount when the bike hits (e.g. after a highside, where it may be hitting the deck with considerable force, but also in cases where there is soft ground or it hits something), any competent design of slider incorporates bolts designed to bend before the mount, so that the slider can rotate backwards. Some are also designed to allow them to crush if they're hit side-on.

To my mind, unless there is something specific to the FZ6 that makes them problematic, they're worth having on a road bike for the reasons above. In most cases, if a well-designed slider hits anything hard enough to gently caress up the frame the bike is probably going to be toast anyway, whereas in a simple low-side dump where you overestimated your front tyre grip or just dropped the drat thing, a properly located slider can and will save a frame, plastics and clip-ons (if not levers and bar-ends, but that's par for the course). As I have found out on a couple of occasions. :(

One issue I can see with the FZ is that I suspect the obvious mount for an aftermarket slider uses the skinny frame extrusion for the top rear engine mount, and people are worried about bending that. Some bikes are designed to accommodate them better than others. My (2007+) hornet had them bolted to a stamped steel bracket that was then bolted to a frame extrusion like the one on your FZ, so the stamped bracket would bend but obviously be easily removable. My Tuono has a similar setup where the (factory-supplied) sliders bolt onto the end of a long steel rod welded to a stamped bracket which is then bolted to the cases, so again the rod bends and you then just unbolt the bracket and replace.

So you probably want to come to your own conclusion based on FZ forums and remembering that the internet is full of retards/conspiracy theorists. I can tell you that when I was knocked off my Hornet the slider did exactly what it was supposed to do and I was able to both ride it home and have the insurance fix the bike rather than write it off. On my old GSX-R 750, it saved the frame and the fairings when I lowsided it at a fairly large rate of knots by being too ambitious on a well-sanded (for safety!) MA on-ramp.

The default and I think the original material is a plastic resin - typically Delrin (TM R!) IIRC.

http://www2.dupont.com/Plastics/en_US/Products/Delrin/Delrin.html

"Delrin® acetal homopolymer bridges the gap between metals and ordinary plastics with a unique combination of creep resistance, strength, stiffness, hardness, dimensional stability, toughness, fatigue resistance, solvent and fuel resistance, abrasion resistance, low wear and low friction."

I would avoid weird materials and anything cheap and chinese from e-bay that may not have mounting hardware appropriate for a slider (e.g. a bolt that's not designed to bend or break correctly but has just been picked because it fits). You can see from the description above why delrin and similar plastics get used.

You should be able to find some slider group tests from Ride magazine or similar on the 'web. You probably can't go far wrong with something from R&G however:

http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/Yamaha/FZ6/2008.aspx

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Hang something heavy off the brake lever maybe?
Like this? :)

It still won't break. This time I measured it, the brake gives up at about 105ft-lb, which is pretty much what the nut is supposed to be torqued to, so go figure. I guess I'll have to cut a piece of wood to use tomorrow.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Saga posted:

Frame slider stuff

You can also try OES Accessories, they tend to be recommended for sliders and are a bit cheaper / less flashy than R&G tends to be.
http://www.oesaccessories.com/FZ6.html is the link for the FZ6.

Stay away from the generic sportbike slider kits or anything really gimmicky.

I really don't get why moto makers don't integrate at least better mounting points for protection like sliders into their designs. It seems like kind of a no brainer and an obvious dealer accessory addition. Instead you end up needing to fiddle with engine mounts and sometimes cutting fairings.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Synonamess Botch posted:

It's a backronym. The etymology of the word is lost to time.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Will filing down the side of the clutch lever to make it fit in the slot hurt anything at all?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tenchrono posted:

Will filing down the side of the clutch lever to make it fit in the slot hurt anything at all?

Edit: Nvm replied in the SV thread.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 23, 2012

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Z3n posted:

Edit: Nvm replied in the SV thread.

Got it thanks.

Another question, how do I go about cleaning/lubing my chain? I dont have a center stand or one of the rear tire stands.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Tenchrono posted:

Got it thanks.

Another question, how do I go about cleaning/lubing my chain? I dont have a center stand or one of the rear tire stands.
It's going to be a lot easier with a rear stand, and you'll also use the rear stand for most of the other maintenance you'll need to do, so it's worth the investment. If you really don't want to get one now, you can do the chain without one, it's just a pain in the rear end. Do a section, optionally mark on the chain somehow the point you got up to, roll the bike to expose a new section, do that one, repeat.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tenchrono posted:

Got it thanks.

Jack under the swingarm, opposite side from the sidestand. Or you can put a jack on the rear suspension linkage, which is sometimes easier if you have a floor jack.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Well, I took my bike over to my friends to show him it and now it wont start. It makes a rapid clicking noise when I hit the ignition and then eventually the whole bike turns off. I've tried to jump start it but it doesnt do anything either, Any help? I bought a new battery and im letting the acid sit in it right now so there are no air bubbles, Instead of a trickle charger am I able to just jump it from a car?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tenchrono posted:

Well, I took my bike over to my friends to show him it and now it wont start. It makes a rapid clicking noise when I hit the ignition and then eventually the whole bike turns off. I've tried to jump start it but it doesnt do anything either, Any help? I bought a new battery and im letting the acid sit in it right now so there are no air bubbles, Instead of a trickle charger am I able to just jump it from a car?

No, you'll want to charge it with a trickle charger to full.

How did you try and jump start it? The rapid clicking is indicative of a failed battery/low battery, so a jumper to the positive terminal and then a jumper to unpainted metal on the frame should have done it fine.

Also your charging system might be screwed, do you have a multimeter?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Z3n posted:

No, you'll want to charge it with a trickle charger to full.

How did you try and jump start it? The rapid clicking is indicative of a failed battery/low battery, so a jumper to the positive terminal and then a jumper to unpainted metal on the frame should have done it fine.

Also your charging system might be screwed, do you have a multimeter?

Alright ill go buy a multimeter and a trickle charger. I'm trying to get a way to get my bike back to my house. Yeah I tried jump starting it the way you said.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Tenchrono posted:

Alright ill go buy a multimeter and a trickle charger. I'm trying to get a way to get my bike back to my house. Yeah I tried jump starting it the way you said.
This may sound silly but I've had this happen with loose or dirty battery cables. If this is the case extra juice from an attempted jump start might not help as its not making it through the cable. This would also explain the bike eventually not clicking at all. First make sure the cables aren't able to be moved by hand then inspect them for corrosion.

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 23, 2012