Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

I'm afraid he's just a fan... :( He should be the team owner. I should change the description on the picture to "LIKE A BOSS" or something.

Superfans always rule.

I have some rugby and lacrosse shots I've been lazy with and need to get up today. It's amazing how much freedom you get at rainy days because nobody wants to be on the sidelines :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

I have some rugby and lacrosse shots I've been lazy with and need to get up today. It's amazing how much freedom you get at rainy days because nobody wants to be on the sidelines :toot:

Or just a match that nobody cares about... I often found myself alone at the football games I shot last year. I get to loan a 1D mk4 for the next few days. That camera is a beast.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
Firstly, horse racing is HUGE here in Hong Kong. I've been to the races a number of times recently and have taken quite a few photos, but I haven't been particularly happy with the outcome. I find the cluttered backgrounds too distracting and there are so many clashing colours going on, what with the green of the grass and the psychedelic jerseys of the jockeys that I find the photos to be generally messy and unappealing. Every time the horses gallop by I feel quite moved to be in the presence of such power and grace and those jockeys have balls of steel, so that is what I want to try and convey from my photos. With that in mind, in this photograph I've tried to isolate the horse and the rider from the action whilst retaining the sense of speed and drama by using high contrast black and and using the straining muscles of the horse. I would like to do a series of these. Before you ask - no, I wasn't a winner...

"There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse." by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

What do you guys think? Do you think this project has what it takes to go the distance (ta-dum). Only problem is that I need to wait a while between race fixtures.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's a beautiful shot. I'd maybe like a little more open crop to show the sort of chaos/action around him but that's really drat awesome.

There's plenty of drama, no question. It's going to be hard to convey speed with everything as frozen and tightly cropped as it is. I know panning is probably out of the question with all the movement involved, but opening up your crop may help show that better, so we see the legs of the horse, other riders in the race, etc. The drama of the race as a whole may work better for you, while interactions between jockey and horse before or after the race (isolated moment in the stables or starting gates, etc) could be better suited for reflecting the relationship between the two. Just my two cents. Regardless it's still a fantastic photo.

What kind of access do you have at the race track? If you can get some isolated horse and jockey or trainer shots before a race, those could look really cool. Probably really depends on security and privacy rules though.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

DJExile posted:

That's a beautiful shot. I'd maybe like a little more open crop to show the sort of chaos/action around him but that's really drat awesome.

There's plenty of drama, no question. It's going to be hard to convey speed with everything as frozen and tightly cropped as it is. I know panning is probably out of the question with all the movement involved, but opening up your crop may help show that better, so we see the legs of the horse, other riders in the race, etc. The drama of the race as a whole may work better for you, while interactions between jockey and horse before or after the race (isolated moment in the stables or starting gates, etc) could be better suited for reflecting the relationship between the two. Just my two cents. Regardless it's still a fantastic photo.

What kind of access do you have at the race track? If you can get some isolated horse and jockey or trainer shots before a race, those could look really cool. Probably really depends on security and privacy rules though.

Thanks for the feedback! Some great ideas and points to reflect on there. It's interesting you talk about opening up the crop as I also thought long and hard about this. I know exactly what you're saying, but I have noticed that when you start making the field of view broader the composition becomes quite cluttered and the subject starts to become less defined. The other issue with this is that as the horses are running so close to the inside railing you get all sorts of background interference; screens, marshals, rails, ambulances, etc. unless you're shooting a slower shutter speed. However, in this case you get the motion blur on the legs which looks very odd. It's definitely a balancing act! However, I will absolutely give some of your points a try, after all you don't achieve anything without experimentation.

I don't have any special access to the riders or runners unfortunately, so getting the more intimate shots is going to be a challenge. The best I can do is stand near the winner's enclosure and hope for the best. The racetracks are so crowded here that if you lose your spot near the track it's almost impossible to get it back. All part of the challenge though!

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

JuanChai posted:

Before you ask - no, I wasn't a winner...

"There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse." by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

What do you guys think? Do you think this project has what it takes to go the distance (ta-dum). Only problem is that I need to wait a while between race fixtures.

But that picture is a winner. While DJEXile thinks it was a bit too tight, I think that the crop was absolutely perfect. For me it makes the picture even more dramatic. A wider shot would probably have disturbed the sense of tension I get from the jockey and the horse.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, thinking more about it, maybe a tighter crop is the way to go here. I'm thinking more about the race in general as opposed to the rider/horse relationship I suppose.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

DJExile posted:

Yeah, thinking more about it, maybe a tighter crop is the way to go here. I'm thinking more about the race in general as opposed to the rider/horse relationship I suppose.

azathosk posted:

But that picture is a winner. While DJEXile thinks it was a bit too tight, I think that the crop was absolutely perfect. For me it makes the picture even more dramatic. A wider shot would probably have disturbed the sense of tension I get from the jockey and the horse.

Yeah, I was definitely keen to portray the relationship between horse and rider and I felt the tight crop was the way to go.

JuanChai fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 8, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Put me up for a looser crop. A little bit more air above the rider's head and in front of the horse's nose would work well.

Not a ton.. I'm not saying double the image size, just a few percent.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

That horse photo is fantastic!

I agree with xzzy that the crop might need to be a teeny tiny bit less tight - I feel that a milimeter or so more of space above the horse's ears and the jockey's helmet would make my eyes rest on the image a bit easier. Otherwise I completely agree with you that tight crops of action are the way to go here. You don't see racing photographed like this often (and then I'm talking mostly about the sports pages here) - it's usually colourful shots of horse and rider or of the entire field and they tend to look very clean and civilised, the raw power tends to get lost.

If you do get the chance, access to the stables would be great. This scene tends to be a lot less glamorous than the winner's circle (bar the luxurious horse buses, although I don't know if that's a thing in Hong Kong since I guess all horses would be stabled at the track...)

You certainly have this old horse-racing fan looking forward to more of your shots :)

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
More football!

Skeid (red) - VIF (blue):

Skeid - Vålerenga by azathosk, on Flickr

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

azathosk posted:

More football!

These two shots are awesome. I love the whole expression and pose in the first photo, like he's saying "Here's the ball!" or something like that. Great emotion.

I love the second shot too, cause there's so much action going on. I just wish that the top of the one dude's hair wasn't cut off.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Shot the CCAA playoff game for my school, Cal State San Bernardino. Drove down to San Diego to shoot it. We were down 0-1 until the 8th or 9th inning, when the game became tied.

We lost on a walk-off balk.

What the gently caress.

Photos:

Playoffs 2012-092-2.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

Playoffs 2012-108-2-Edit.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr
Not a technically interesting photo -- but it's the MVP standing next to the pitcher who balked.

Playoffs 2012-1194.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr
After a sacrifice bunt which eventually lead to an RBI, this guy was super stoked.

Playoffs 2012-1165.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr
A double play to end the inning.

This was the most dramatic game that I've shot and it was a ton of fun. The rest of the photos in the album are from various dramatic moments.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I was going through my photo library when I found this, thought it was pretty cool but I can't ever remember doing it

Boxing 098 by HezzyUK, on Flickr

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

n0n0 posted:

Playoffs 2012-092-2.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

I like this one and if you could get the dugout in the frame, it would have been an AMAZING shot.

Alas, this is the fast-paced life we lead.

Also, walk-off balks are ridiculous.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hezzy posted:

I was going through my photo library when I found this, thought it was pretty cool but I can't ever remember doing it

Yo this is a really cool shot.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Hezzy posted:

Joining in with DJExile here. This is a cool shot.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks guys! It wasn't posed either, he was just laying into the bag and I guess I got lucky! You can see how hard he was hitting it by the angle /swing of the punch bag!

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Untitled by Eeek5127, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EEEK IS BACK :toot:

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Hee, stupid real job has had me traveling a lot. Things are slowing down a bit and I am getting back to shooting. So glad.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Yesss, Eeek.

Also, have you ever seen anyone get kicked out for shooting during a player's backswing? I hear they're pretty strict about that.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I've heard of it, but never saw it happen. The PGA is very tough on who gets passes. Unless you are shooting for a reason, they won't let you in. They expect you to know the rules and will follow them They'll also pull passes quickly. Now, I did see this....

You can see the dude in the Titleist hat. He looks sad, right? Here's why. He kept saying "Phil, let me buy your hat for $50. I am going to donate it to a charity and think of how much you'll make for it." Phil very politely said no. The guy asked two or three more times. Phil finally stopped signing, stared the guy down and said "sir, I have a deal with this company. I have to wear this hat when I make appearances. I will not give it to you.". The guy said "sorry, I understand." Phil said "no, obviously you don't, because I have told you three time and you keep asking." It was one of the funniest things I saw all day.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Haha Phil is great. Also that shot owns.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Miko posted:

Yesss, Eeek.

Also, have you ever seen anyone get kicked out for shooting during a player's backswing? I hear they're pretty strict about that.

MKIII silent mode :ninja:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Yay, the old timers are back!

I've shot around a dozen games in the past week, and I'm way behind on photos and this thread, but I just have to share this frame from this morning's game that I absolutely love:

CNU pitcher Bryan Bierlein picks up his shoe after losing it at first base during a pickle.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Munkaboo posted:

MKIII silent mode :ninja:

Oh, i did. But I was still scared some one would hear it. I didn't want to be that guy.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Eeek posted:

Oh, i did. But I was still scared some one would hear it. I didn't want to be that guy.

How silent is the silent mode really?

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

azathosk posted:

How silent is the silent mode really?

It's not. Here is a link (not mine)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwATiSwtBdQ

Now, with the 50D, if you had it in live view and used silent mode, it was very, very quiet. But live view and sports do not match.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

Eeek posted:

It's not. Here is a link (not mine)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwATiSwtBdQ

'Silent' mode on my 1DIII is anything but.

Never taken shots of pool before, but the opportunity arose the other day. Going for something cinematic that captures the intensity of a pressure shot combined with the thought process that might go through a players head.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They're all great but I really love that 4th one. Was it actually that dark or did you do some work in post?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

They're freaking awesome. Love it dude.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I have a job this summer traveling the east coast and shooting mud runs. No matter how many I sit through the mud pit never really gets old.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Why would you wear hoop earrings...

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Wooten posted:

I have a job this summer traveling the east coast and shooting mud runs. No matter how many I sit through the mud pit never really gets old.
I laughed a bit, and then I re-read your post. Traveling the east coast and shooting mud runs..? Is this a ... normal thing?

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

azathosk posted:

I laughed a bit, and then I re-read your post. Traveling the east coast and shooting mud runs..? Is this a ... normal thing?

There's probably only a handful of people who do what I'm doing. I've been working with the same race photography company for a few years, and they happened to get several big contracts for national races (specifically mud runs like Spartan Race), so somebody has to travel to each one and supervise a team of local photographers and shoot the race. It's a lot like what companies like Brightroom do, taking two photos of every single person in the race in order to sell them to participants, but the company I work for tries to get creative with it and we have an interesting business model that lets everyone in the race have free photos. It's pretty tough on a shutter to say the least. I also get to shoot promotional photos which is way more interesting. The races span the entire country and Canada, but I just go to the ones on the east coast for the most part. So yeah, I'm not sure how normal it is, but it's my job this summer.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
That's loving awesome! How do you go about finding the local photogs for each race? I've always been interested in shooting one of those.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

BobTheCow posted:

That's loving awesome! How do you go about finding the local photogs for each race? I've always been interested in shooting one of those.

Craigslist, Facebook, ...forums. So definitely a possibility for you to shoot a race especially if you still live in Virginia and have nothing to do on 8/25 and 8/26. Shoot me an email with a link to some of your work and I'll get you more details and get you set up. c(dot)clunie(at)gmail

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dread Head posted:

Why would you wear hoop earrings...

I was wondering the same thing :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Wooten posted:

So yeah, I'm not sure how normal it is, but it's my job this summer.

I want that summerjob.