Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Advent Horizon posted:

The cool thing about fabric planes is that if you REALLY want to cut weight you don't actually need a skin. There are Super Cubs running around up here with barely enough skin to cover the pilot (I've seen flying pictures with only the lift and control surfaces covered). Those planes can get darn close to helicopter landings but suck in foul weather or cross country trips.
Wouldn't that do terrible things to yaw stability, though? And increase drag? The fuselage of the aircraft normally functions a lot like the centerboard in a sailboat. I guess if the weight savings > all else...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

I see how paint weight can affect fuel economy but never thought it would be drastic enough to determine the paint job! I love learning fun facts like this.

A typical 737 takes about 250 lbs of paint. The rudder usually has to be rebalanced due the weight change depending on the livery. You'll notice that all other control surfaces are the standard gray color to avoid this.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

grover posted:

Wouldn't that do terrible things to yaw stability, though? And increase drag? The fuselage of the aircraft normally functions a lot like the centerboard in a sailboat. I guess if the weight savings > all else...

Right on all counts. The guys doing that are playing with their second or third Cubs. It's mostly for dick waving since they won't even reach normal cruising speed at full throttle and you're out in the weather in Alaska.

A relatively common modification is to skin the cabin and leave the tail boom open. I just can't see it saving THAT much weight.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Saw this fatty flying into JFK on Sunday

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Sitting in the very back of an md-80 next to a fat person right next to the engine, its painfully loud. Hope I dont go deaf during the flight, at least I have expensive wifi to keep me company. This plane took off an hour late and the connecting time of my next one is 50 minutes, I have 4 terminals to get through at DFW. There a chance I can make the flight?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

What flight did you miss to get that seat? The only times I've ever been stuck there is when I wasn't on a flight I was scheduled for.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

AA1218 is the flight SAN -> DFW, I was supposed to be on another but I guess they moved me when I checked in at the desk.

Its a really lovely seat, im not even sure why it exists, im looking out the window and all I see is the engine. The smells from the toilet slowly wafe back.

Vvv Yeah it was pretty fast last time. I have 45 minutes to get to the flight but im about 30,000 feet up right now, if I miss it its no biggie since it leaves me time to get something other than ice chips to eat.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 22, 2012

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The SkyTrain at DFW should get you to your terminal fairly quickly. Ten min tops.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Tenchrono posted:

AA1218 is the flight SAN -> DFW, I was supposed to be on another but I guess they moved me when I checked in at the desk.

Its a really lovely seat, im not even sure why it exists, im looking out the window and all I see is the engine. The smells from the toilet slowly wafe back.
I've had that seat on MD-80s before, it sucks rear end. Ear plugs help a little, but not nearly enough.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

It's pretty badass that you're sitting in a chair in the sky right now and we're talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

eggyolk posted:

It's pretty badass that you're sitting in a chair in the sky right now and we're talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

Permanent hearing loss isn't really worth it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tenchrono posted:

Sitting in the very back of an md-80 next to a fat person right next to the engine, its painfully loud. Hope I dont go deaf during the flight, at least I have expensive wifi to keep me company. This plane took off an hour late and the connecting time of my next one is 50 minutes, I have 4 terminals to get through at DFW. There a chance I can make the flight?

Last time I went through DFW, I scheduled 90 minutes.

Then my flight out was delayed an hour.

Then we were delayed 20 minutes after landing because an rear end in a top hat parked a truck over a line and the plane had to be tractored in the last twenty feet.

After a tour on the skytrain (I was in the last terminal by train) I wasn't the last one on my next flight, I still got my exit row seat, and the attendant made overhead space for my bag.

Also the wifi isn't that expensive you infant.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
DFW worst airport.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

bigger

bigger

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

XB-70 Valkyrie: for when you need a bomber to rip through time and nuke somebody in the future.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
2 Questions:

What the hell is that spaceship in the background
Is the 70 already landed short of the threshold?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I assume you mean this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piasecki_H-21

The main gear looks like it is still off the ground and I bet a plane that quick needs a shitload of runway so they are using every inch available.

Everyone needs to go the the airforce museum and see that plane in person. It looks like a star destroyer from the back.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Plus the pilots are near the threshold even if the wheels aren't. :pseudo:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

helno posted:

The main gear looks like it is still off the ground and I bet a plane that quick needs a shitload of runway so they are using every inch available.
You can see a lot of wheel marks short of the runway in that photo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
This did not end well. See that F-104N with the orange flash on the tail? It's about to hit the XB-70.

Supposedly caused largely by the wingtip votices from the larger plane just dragging the thing in.

Useless trivia: The plane that photograph was taken from was Frank Sinatra's Learjet.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Every time I see that picture I cringe a bit as not five minutes later, the XB-70 and the F-104 collided, destroying both aircraft and killing two of the pilots.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

DFW worst airport.

I like it more than IAH, where all the signs are bad wordart of stretched fonts.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Name your least favorite airports!

International flights into Atlanta are loving horrific.

And there's a special place in hell for Terminal 7 at LAX. Well, just dealing with getting into / out of LAX is horrific in and of itself.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cygni posted:

And there's a special place in hell for Terminal 7 at LAX. Well, just dealing with getting into / out of LAX is horrific in and of itself.

ATL has a new international terminal, and I'm afraid I'll have to use it next month (would much rather fly directly into MIA).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cygni posted:

Frankfurt.

It was clearly and obviously designed by post-war cryptofascists whose sole previous architectural experience was designing death camp shower blocks.

There are never enough available seats. Oh, there are plenty of seats available at gates that don't have arrivals/departures currently going on. But each gate has an actual, physical gate in front of it which doesn't unlock and let you in until a flight is imminent and it's determined, by whatever process they have for determining this, that it's time to allow people to go and sit down. Now, the physical separation between terminal and gate is a 2' stainless steel fence, so it's entirely possible for everyone to just step over it and sit down anyway, but since this is Germany that just isn't done. The rule's there for a reason, and dammit, we're going to obey it. But that's merely German, not fascist.

What do people do in airport terminals when they want to sit down but all the seats are taken? Well, the human thing to do is to sit on the floor and lean back against a wall. But not at FRA, no sir. Because about 4 inches up from the floor, exactly where your lower back would come into contact with the wall were you to do this, a steel bar which juts out about 6" has been mounted, for no other purpose than to prevent people from sitting on the floor and leaning back against the wall:

Denazification did not go far enough. There's no other explanation.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
CDG, accept no substitutes.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Phanatic posted:

Frankfurt.

Holy loving hell, haha

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Phanatic posted:

It was clearly and obviously designed by post-war cryptofascists whose sole previous architectural experience was designing death camp shower blocks.

This is amazing, ahahaha. Tell us more about Frankfurt please :allears:

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

DFW worst airport.

If I have to be stuck in an airport, it might as well be Denver. The more spread out the airport, the better chance you have of finding some abandoned corner that's quiet, doesn't have a dozen TVs blaring at you from different channels, and you're not fighting over wall plugs.

But I agree, I've got no use for DFW. I was trying to get home to MEM one spring evening. The weather was getting bad and they were getting flights out ahead of the weather as quickly as possible. We all got on board our little CRJ and pull away from the gate about six feet. Then we wait for half an hour, and then the hail starts to plink down. They decide to wait it out, and then the tornadoes are spotted in the area. Time to roll forward six feet and deplane. They announce it calmly, and everyone begins unloading their luggage from the overhead bins. 15 minutes later when almost no one has left the plane, they say, "FORGET THE LUGGAGE, GET OFF THE PLANE NOW!" Then the passengers calmly began re-packing their luggage back in the overhead bins. Total time from first announcement to empty plane: 30 minutes with tornadoes moving in fast.

Back in the gate, we're in a weird legal area because we've actually "left" the airport and they don't know what to do with us, so they cordon off a few gates for the evacuees and we can't go into other parts of the airport, but we have to be safe from the potential of shattering glass, so it's time to herd everyone into the bathrooms. People are freaking out because families are being split up and there's no where to sit. Having no desire to die in a stampede of angry passengers, some of whom are going to the bathroom with a hundred other people standing around, I hang back until the bathrooms are full and then find a safe and comfortable nook surrounded by concrete.

Two hours later, we're back on the plane, where we then sit and watch during a 45 minute inspection for hail damage, followed by a long route as we try to loop around the back of the storm. I think I first boarded the plane at 6 p.m. and made it home to Memphis around 2 a.m.

The flight crew and the ground crew were working hard under some terrible conditions, and I thanked each of the flight crew once I got home. The situation inside the airport was a disaster, and the whole experience left me with a bad opinion of DFW.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I keep hearing IAD is bad but everytime I fly out of there I like it.

Edit: other than location. i have to drive from quantico in the afternoons for an overnight flight and traffic is horrible on the 95.

Anyways, I missed the connection by 10 minutes but I managed to get some hot food at dfw. About 45 minutes out of DCA. This time I have an aisle seat on a 737-800 in the exit row with no one beside me so I guess it worked out great.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 23, 2012

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

movax posted:

This is amazing, ahahaha. Tell us more about Frankfurt please :allears:

Coming back from Rome to the US, stopover in Frankfurt. My sister bought a bottle of limoncello at the duty-free in Rome, in the secure section of the airport, they put it in the duty free bag. Landing in Frankfurt, we're in the secure area of the airport. There are more duty-free stores that will sell you booze and put it in duty-free bags for you to carry with you onto your plane.

Oh, but right before the gate, there's *another* security checkpoint, where they find her big bottle of liquid and confiscate it and the duty-free bag that she's carrying it in.

I guess that's not particular to Frankfurt, I had the same thing happen to me at Heathrow on my way back from India, they confiscated my bottle of Havana Club, but at Heathrow they told me it's because of where I was coming from, if I'd bought it at an EU airport instead of some former colony I'd have been fine. But FRA didn't even have that excuse, it was purchased in *Rome*, in the same damned EU. Seriously, gently caress that place, it's most hostile "We hate you all" airport I've ever been in. But I haven't been to CDG.

Funniest was probably Leh. It's run by the Indian air force but there's civil traffic in and out daily. One runway, so depending on the winds you might have a very long or short landing or takeoff roll. They're much more concerned with actual terrorists than with limoncello, everybody gets intimately frisked by a security officer of the appropriate sex (if you're a woman you can have this done in a booth with a drawn curtain).

There's a private company contracted to fuel all the aircraft. We're out there on the field late in the day wondering where the fuel truck for the helicopter is because we need to get gas in the bird so the crew can start flying it the hell home. Fuel truck doesn't show up. Phone calls are made. Fuel truck still doesn't show up. Guards are contacted. Still no fuel truck. Eventually our in-country liason guy, a former Indian air force 3-star, gets the skinny.

The fuel company has two trucks: a fuel truck, and a pickup truck for getting around the airport. The air force cops apparently caught the guys in the pickup truck speeding, and issued them a fine. Fuel guys said, probably not in so many words, "gently caress your fine," so the AF cops impounded the pickup truck. Guys with the fuel truck said, probably not in so many words, "gently caress you, unless you give us our pickup truck back, we're not refueling *poo poo*. No, none of the civil airliners, either." We ended up talking with them directly and explaining that hey, we really don't have a dog in this fight, you can tell the AF cops to go gently caress themselves all you want, but could we please pretty please have some gas?

Then when our crew flies out on the helicopter, they forgot to turn in their security passes. The security folks won't let *us* leave to go back to the hotel unless they get all the passes returned. The passes are on their way to Srinigar, so that's not happening. Our 3-star (retired) gets into a bit of a yelling match with the base commander, and says "So basically you're holding our people hostage until you get your badges back?"

Wrong. Thing. To say. Base commander shuts down, will *not* talk to our guy anymore. He can't yell at him, because the guy's a retired 3-star, but he can refuse to talk to him anymore and that's what he does. Rest of us are just sitting around laughing in amazement at how silly all this is getting until cooler heads prevail and they all realize that Srinigar's also an air force facility and they can just pick up the passes there when the helicopter lands, so they let us go, and that's why I love those crazy bastards up in Leh.

Also, the control tower has a sign painted on it that says it's the "Highest Control Tower in the World," which is excellent.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Frankfurt.

There are never enough available seats. Oh, there are plenty of seats available at gates that don't have arrivals/departures currently going on. But each gate has an actual, physical gate in front of it which doesn't unlock and let you in until a flight is imminent and it's determined, by whatever process they have for determining this, that it's time to allow people to go and sit down. Now, the physical separation between terminal and gate is a 2' stainless steel fence, so it's entirely possible for everyone to just step over it and sit down anyway, but since this is Germany that just isn't done. The rule's there for a reason, and dammit, we're going to obey it. But that's merely German, not fascist.

What do people do in airport terminals when they want to sit down but all the seats are taken? Well, the human thing to do is to sit on the floor and lean back against a wall. But not at FRA, no sir. Because about 4 inches up from the floor, exactly where your lower back would come into contact with the wall were you to do this, a steel bar which juts out about 6" has been mounted, for no other purpose than to prevent people from sitting on the floor and leaning back against the wall:

Holy gently caress, all of this. Thank god I'm not the only one who thought this. gently caress Frankfurt's seating.

DFW, I'm sitting in Terminal D right now, and it's not that bad, my flight in and out are both in D, so that is coloring my opinion. I have done the one end of one horseshoe to the next one's opposite end inter-terminal dash before, which decidedly is not fun.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Phanatic posted:

It looks to me more like the steel bar is there to stop luggage carts/trolleys from hitting and marking up the walls, but engaging the wheels first. Supermarkets have similar devices do they not?

EDIT: I suppose there shouldn't be luggage carts inside the terminal, maybe the staff/janitors use carts or something?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Cygni posted:

I loving hate ATL. The airport itself isn't that bad (I guess...only connected there, so I've never had to deal with security) but it holds a special place of hate in my heart because I have yet to pass through there without being delayed and/or missing a flight. Best case was "spent 6 hours in the airport after missing my flight by 30 seconds (seriously, I was sprinting to the gate as they were closing the door, it was like something out of a movie...I got to sit there and watch the plane pushback)," worst case was "spend the night in the airport after getting the royal runaround since I was a poor college student at the time who didn't have money for a hotel room; also my flight was one of like 200 that got flat out cancelled so there probably wasn't an open hotel room in the area anyway."

And goddamn, there are apparently some lovely airports there outside the U.S., glad to see we don't have a lock on it. More airports should be like Incheon, it owns.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I used to fly in and out of ATL 6-8 times a year, can't say I ever had a big problem there, no worse than any other airport, although the addition of all the gigantic ant statues crawling on the ceiling in the baggage claim area was pretty loving :psyduck:.

LAX is a terrible place, even for a 1 1/2 hour layover. I really don't remember much from my short time there, I just remember it feeling cramped and poorly designed.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Not sure which terminal I came into at LAX, but I had to ride an underground moving walkway for a good distance to get to baggage pickup. I swear, the air in there had not been cycled since at least the early 80s. It reeked of cigarette smoke and polyester in there. This was in I think 2006.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Ohare is my closest airport. My only complaints about it are the poorly designed pick up/drop off areas for cars. They make it almost impossible for you to idle and wait for your party to get off the plane/find you outside. You pretty much have to time it perfectly and have a specific meeting point. Its stupid because this rule does not apply for cabs or limos so realistically picking someone up yourself is almost impractical.

I also have nearly been pooped on by a bird at JFK. I wont hold it against them tho. Birds in airports are awesome.

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Not sure which terminal I came into at LAX, but I had to ride an underground moving walkway for a good distance to get to baggage pickup. I swear, the air in there had not been cycled since at least the early 80s. It reeked of cigarette smoke and polyester in there. This was in I think 2006.

That's how all of LA smells, you just adjusted by the time you reached the baggage claim area.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
ATL rules in terms of lovely big airports because there is a Delta Sky Club in every terminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

iyaayas01 posted:

More airports should be like Incheon, it owns.

Incheon airport is and always will be my favorite airport ever. It is what an airport should be; efficient, comfortable and convenient. I live in Korea and take vacations quite frequently, so I've gone through Incheon a good dozen times in the 2 years I've been here. It's SO easy going, tons of food and shopping, lots of open space to lie down, plugs everywhere, very fast free internet...And it's MASSIVE, and only getting bigger for the 2018 Olympics.

On the flip side of that you have some horrible airports in Asia. Hanoi is dreadful, and the Low Cost Carrier Terminal at Kuala Lumpur is a giant overpriced shed. Phuket isn't half-bad because at least there's a Burger King and a Subway and you can buy booze in the waiting area.

Last time I passed through Phuket was the night Air Australia went bankrupt. I'm waiting for my Korean Air flight back to Incheon, and there's thousands of stranded Australians. They're not bad, they're not frustrated. They're drunk, and playing makeshift cricket. And they're making jokes over the announcement system. "Oi we're passing around a hat, anyone mind pitching in a tenner for some petrol?" The assault-rifle toting guards weren't too pleased but gently caress it. They made the best of a poo poo situation.