Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Huh. I had only heard about that gooncamp trip, never read the thread...I gotta say, learning it was visible because goons were peeking into the tent vent (and not just because the tent was somehow see-through) makes it a bit different.

Well that explains my question, which was "how did they know it was but sex and not just regular sex?"

But I guess if people were actually peeking through vent holes and sit, and not just seeing silhouettes, then that explains it!

Of course, it's also possible they went around telling people it was anal...either after or during...

"Yo goons, havin' some sweet-rear end rear end-sex with my girlfriend in this here tent! Come on over for a show!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well that explains my question, which was "how did they know it was but sex and not just regular sex?"

But I guess if people were actually peeking through vent holes and sit, and not just seeing silhouettes, then that explains it!

Of course, it's also possible they went around telling people it was anal...either after or during...

"Yo goons, havin' some sweet-rear end rear end-sex with my girlfriend in this here tent! Come on over for a show!"

Different strokes for different folks. :shrug:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DrBouvenstein posted:

Or specifically

quote:

well anyway after dj comes out and tells everyone because everyone knew "he's small, and my rear end is big, so it took some effort to actually make penetration, thats why were so loud"

But also yeah goons looking through the vent holes because creepy people at gooncamp.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Alright, what's :fyadride:? Some BYOB poo poo?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

prefect posted:

Different strokes for different folks. :shrug:
Is that new? I've been waiting for something to replace v:geno:v for a while now.

vv Still awesome. It's definitely going to come in handy.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 21:14 on May 23, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hyperhazard posted:

Is that new? I've been waiting for something to replace v:geno:v for a while now.

I gave up on The Quest For The Perfect Shrug Smiley, and just went with the first one I found that seemed acceptable.

Dr. Fingerguns
Dec 26, 2011

What if all cats were THIS?
I'm understanding more of these now than I did before, but the meaning of :goonsay: still eludes me. Is it basically used for when someone is being insufferably nerdy? Or am I missing the meaning entirely?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Dr. Fingerguns posted:

I'm understanding more of these now than I did before, but the meaning of :goonsay: still eludes me. Is it basically used for when someone is being insufferably nerdy? Or am I missing the meaning entirely?

It's a fat nerd with glasses raising his arm, as if to go "well, actually...(insert impossibly nerdy rant)"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
isn't the / just the tail of a speech bubble

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Yonic Symbolism posted:

:goonsay:

I want to know the story behind:
:wink:
:wmwink:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Either interpretation works.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Dr. Fingerguns posted:

I always thought it was a penis with eyes.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Either interpretation works.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

elitebuster posted:

:goonsay:

I want to know the story behind:
:wink:
:wmwink:

:wink: alone was the original. I don't know if there's a story behind it beyond "it's a cartoon of a sexy girl winking at you". The hair and eye color makes it look like Kim Possible. Maybe another BYOB thing?

:wmwink: is of course Alfred E. Neuman's gap-toothed grin, and the code references his catchphrase "What, me worry?"

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Always wondered about :shibaz:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Always wondered about :shibaz:
It's just byob poster shibaz, who most likely bought that for himself. I'm pretty convinced most every byob poster who had their own emoticon bought it for themselves.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
They sound like a bunch of morons.

I would love to know if :patriot: was around before 9/11.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Unfortunately I lack platinum but I remember the original thread for :slick: in which the OP wanted to get it down to emoticon-size, but at the time it wasn't possible. This led to several edits, including Forkbanger and Evardread out-editing one another. What I want to know is who finally got the drat thing re-sized and purchased, because it didn't show up until a few years later and I rarely see it used!

I remember that thread... there were some pretty good ones in there, though the final (and current) version is the best.

I think :scax: is my favorite old emoticon (so old it's apparently gone), mostly since I watched that thread when it happened, and it convinced me to register my original account. It was spawned from Martin Random's terrible roommate thread.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

kastein posted:

I remember that thread... there were some pretty good ones in there, though the final (and current) version is the best.

I think :scax: is my favorite old emoticon (so old it's apparently gone), mostly since I watched that thread when it happened, and it convinced me to register my original account. It was spawned from Martin Random's terrible roommate thread.

For the uninformed, :scax: was :sax: covered in poo poo. It's funny in the context of the (awesome) thread in question but I definitely understand why it's gone.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
My favorite old emoticon was :hydrahump:. Why would they get rid of it? :(

Also, is there any special meaning behind :tbear:?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Golbez posted:

My favorite old emoticon was :hydrahump:. Why would they get rid of it? :(

Also, is there any special meaning behind :tbear:?

I think that's Trashbear. The SAclopedia entry is disappointingly short, though.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I really like : tbear :, it's like :can: with a "you idiot" twist.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Sagebrush posted:

:wink: alone was the original. I don't know if there's a story behind it beyond "it's a cartoon of a sexy girl winking at you". The hair and eye color makes it look like Kim Possible. Maybe another BYOB thing?

:wmwink: is of course Alfred E. Neuman's gap-toothed grin, and the code references his catchphrase "What, me worry?"

I always figured it was a reference to WGN America's logo change in 2008 which had a winking girl in it.

edit: This one:

Fanged Lawn Wormy has a new favorite as of 16:15 on May 24, 2012

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I have nothing to back this up, but I think it has something to do with Perfect Dark (the video game series), specifically PD:Zero on the 360. V:shobon:V (<-- That's always been my favorite shrug combo)

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Whatever happened to the stinklizard emoticon? Why do you hate my favorite things, SA. Why.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

sirbeefalot posted:

I have nothing to back this up, but I think it has something to do with Perfect Dark (the video game series), specifically PD:Zero on the 360. V:shobon:V (<-- That's always been my favorite shrug combo)

Yeah it definitely looks like Joanna Dark.

:coolfish:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
:wotwot: is one of the funniest smileys to me, and it doesn't get used too often, so it stays fresh. Does anybody know if there's an origin story for this smiley?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Can anyone explain to me why in the world there's :sharpton: or where it comes from? Just by guessing it seems to be another retarded fossil from BYOB.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
It's Al Sharpton you loving racist.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Francostein posted:

Can anyone explain to me why in the world there's :sharpton: or where it comes from? Just by guessing it seems to be another retarded fossil from BYOB.

It's a picture of the Reverend Al Sharpton, a famous civil rights advocate in American politics. Why someone bought it, I don't really know.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It's a picture of the Reverend Al Sharpton, a famous civil rights advocate in American politics. Why someone bought it, I don't really know.

It's really really obvious who it is because the link is really descriptive; : sharpton :. I was just wondering why someone put down money for a small picture of Al Sharpton. Since I've never seen it used I guessed it was a BYOB joke or something.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.
I seem to remember a thread a few years ago where :wink: and :bravo: were part of a group of lovely smilies someone found. They may have been intended for AOL Messenger. Obviously :bravo: was edited.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mithra6 posted:

I seem to remember a thread a few years ago where :wink: and :bravo: were part of a group of lovely smilies someone found. They may have been intended for AOL Messenger. Obviously :bravo: was edited.

:thumbsup: is probably from that same group but I don't care because it is fantastic because it's dripping thick with contempt :thumbsup:

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Mithra6 posted:

Obviously :bravo: was edited.
I'd figured :bravo: was unedited, and got bought simply because of how transparently fake and condescending it is.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Toast Museum posted:

Pretty sure someone earlier said it was another BYOB vanity smilie.

Yes, :am: is former BYOB poster Atomic Monkey. I have no idea if he still uses that username. Yes, he bought his own vanity emoticon.

Generally if a smiley has an unexplained origin, it almost certainly came from BYOB. That forum was a massive moneymaker for Lowtax simply on avatar changes alone, I'm surprised it was closed.

I never read the thread this was bought in, but it's David Boon, an Australian cricketer who, according to folklore, once drunk 52 cans of beer on a flight to a match and then went out and played (well).

I bought :bahgawd: back in the day, it's "good ol'" Jim Ross, professional wrestling commentator. The "bahgawd" name references his catchphrase. I didn't make the GIF, I simply promised to buy one if someone made one since people were posting JR pictures in the wrestling threads nonstop. :bahgawd: was actually not the GIF I intended to purchase but accidentally bought the wrong one, I meant to buy this one with the slightly different mouth:

At the time the people in the thread (correctly) predicted that it would be more commonly used outside of the wrestling subforum as a generic redneck emoticon.

cmndstab has a new favorite as of 17:12 on May 25, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cmndstab posted:

I bought :bahgawd: back in the day, it's "good ol'" Jim Ross, professional wrestling commentator. The "bahgawd" name references his catchphrase. I didn't make the GIF, I simply promised to buy one if someone made one since people were posting JR pictures in the wrestling threads nonstop. :bahgawd: was actually not the GIF I intended to purchase but accidentally bought the wrong one, I meant to buy this one with the slightly different mouth:

At the time the people in the thread (correctly) predicted that it would be more commonly used outside of the wrestling subforum as a generic redneck emoticon.

That's interesting. I thought :bahgawd: was supposed to be a hellfire-and-brimstone country preacher.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

cmndstab posted:

Yes, :am: is former BYOB poster Atomic Monkey. I have no idea if he still uses that username. Yes, he bought his own vanity emoticon.

Generally if a smiley has an unexplained origin, it almost certainly came from BYOB. That forum was a massive moneymaker for Lowtax simply on avatar changes alone, I'm surprised it was closed.

I never read the thread this was bought in, but it's David Boon, an Australian cricketer who, according to folklore, once drunk 52 cans of beer on a flight to a match and then went out and played (well).

I always figured it was a stereotypical texan. So yeah, I guess I agree with the people in that thread, and also prefect.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

cmndstab posted:

I always thought it was a guy with an invisible cock in his mouth.

I also used to think that :wtc: was a heavily-distorted Lowtax.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

cmndstab posted:

BYOB kind of turned into a circlejerk of spamming and bullshit with an "in" crowd that seemed to think it owned BYOB and could decide who could and could not post there. Kind of like FYAD.

It turned into a thing that was radically different than what it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be a chill place where you could hang out and post stupid poo poo and not get judged for posting stupid poo poo.

So instead people started spouting hellfire at those that posted the "wrong" chill, stupid things.

At least, that's what I remember of it. It was sad, in any event.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 20:59 on May 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Speleothing posted:

I always thought it was a guy with an invisible cock in his mouth.

I also used to think that :wtc: was a heavily-distorted Lowtax.

I saw Derek Smart!