Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I was once told that FI systems meant you had to pick two out of the 3

Reliable
Cheap
Powerful

Where is the cheap reliable option? All I want is another 40ish BHP on top of my standard 140BHP to improve overtaking power on country roads. £1500 or so, I have been told to avoid this system

http://www.grahamgoode.com/website/parts.php?website=16&item=11540001

And the flying Miata stuff costs too much to import into the UK

Anyone got any suggestions? (I will not be able to do the work myself but have a variety of performance garages that I trust could fit anything within reason and am happy to pay them on top of the cost of the system)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
A chinese turbo kit from ebay is the cheap and reliable option. They generally don't blow themselves up and for the cost you could buy 3 of them compared to a name brand turbo with crap associated hardware. I've seen people break 300HP with "Churbo" kits, upgraded injectors and a MS. The main drawback they have is you'll get a worse torque curve and lower peak power, but when you get a good turbo with bad connecting hardware the experience will be just as bad as just having a crap turbo with matched hardware.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I thought the worry of a Chinacharger was having the drat thing grenade and fill your engine with tasty hot turbo shrapnel? Are they actually holding up to some miles?

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Just posting to say I bought a 2000 SE (in Mahogany Mica) and I am totally apeshit over it :swoon:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
The key to making a forced induction system reliable is tuning and I don't think those Chinese kits have anything at all in that regard.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Tons of people use the actual Chinese turbochargers themselves, they're absolutely fine these days. Kits? enh... good luck finding a manifold that isn't complete garbage if it's not made by a charge-by-the-hour guy in a shed in good ol' America.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
My pro-tip for putting a turbo kit on. Soak everything in PB blaster for a week while you're still driving the car before you take it apart. My entire exhaust system on a '92 came apart easily since I did that. It probably reduced the amount of work to get the system installed by 50%.

If you want to stay cheap you go non-intercooled. I'm not sure if rising rate fuel pressure devices work on newer cars - same w/ bipes. The combo on my '92 really works quite well tuning wise. I run approximately 5.5lb of boost and have never had any issues. I have about 10k miles on the kit now.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

How much should I torque lugnuts on an NC?

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

80 ft lb.

Or just wing it and get it gudentite. Don't think I've ever torqued my lugs to spec and I haven't lost a wheel yet :V

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
80? I always thought it was low to mid 90s (unless you have aluminium hubs - iirc Audi?).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
A Miata followed me home...

99' Touring Package
130k, 5spd
Jackson supercharger kit
KYB AGX's + Racing Beat Springs
ADR wheels + half decent tires
Borla Catback
Perfect soft top with rear glass
$4500

The supercharger had pretty bad bearing noise, so it had to come off. Fun little car so far.

More here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3449236&pagenumber=4

the spyder fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 19, 2012

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

First Time Caller posted:

80 ft lb.

Or just wing it and get it gudentite. Don't think I've ever torqued my lugs to spec and I haven't lost a wheel yet :V

Sockington posted:

80? I always thought it was low to mid 90s (unless you have aluminium hubs - iirc Audi?).
Thanks; going with 80. Apparently the spec is 65-87. The torque wrench and socket set just came in the mail. The biggest sockets in the set (19mm and 3/4") both fit the key for the new nuts, but are much too small for the existing nuts. Do you know what size I need? The standard socket sets I see on Amazon don't go nearly high enough.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Dominoes posted:

Thanks; going with 80. Apparently the spec is 65-87. The torque wrench and socket set just came in the mail. The biggest sockets in the set (19mm and 3/4") both fit the key for the new nuts, but are much too small for the existing nuts. Do you know what size I need? The standard socket sets I see on Amazon don't go nearly high enough.

Probably 21, or a 13/16" spark plug socket should work too.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

aventari posted:

Probably 21, or a 13/16" spark plug socket should work too.
Cool; bought a 13/16" and it fits. Just need a breaker bar now; socket set's wrench is too short.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I ghetto intake'd my 99 temporarily and ever since, during warm up the intake makes a super deep gurgle. The IAC looked to possibly have some damage on the diaphragm, but nothing that would cause this. Anyone else come across this? I found some dead threads searching, but no answers.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Weird: Mazda and Alfa Romeo are working together. Apparently there's going to be an ND MX-5 based Alfa that will be built in Japan. The most reliable Alfa ever?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Phone posted:

Weird: Mazda and Alfa Romeo are working together. Apparently there's going to be an ND MX-5 based Alfa that will be built in Japan. The most reliable Alfa ever?

Just read this as well.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/next-gen-mazda-mx-5-to-spawn-new-alfa-romeo-spider-official/2012/05/23/gJQACdH6jU_story.html

Here's to hoping it's truly Alfa Styling and Mazda reliability.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Phone posted:

It'd be fun if Dodge got into the game as well and we ended up having three different platforms from which to get delicious Miatas and parts.

funkyaintit
Nov 2, 2002
funky it is!
I always thought Ford should have made a "baby Mustang" based on the MX-5, back when they owned a larger share of Mazda. I guess they couldn't figure out how to sell a small roadster that wouldn't steal sales of the base Mustangs, which are pretty drat cheap, a la the Ranger vs F150 overlap problem.

An Alpha MX-5 could really be a thing of beauty.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The way their press release is written it implies that there is gonna be some sort of "baby MX5". As in "Both mazda and alfa romeo are coming together to release two cars based on the new MX5 platform" rather than "Mazda and alfa romeo are going to share a platform, which is the new MX5".

The newest Miatas are too big and focused on creature comforts, so i've been hoping for a baby mx5.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Everything that has been released so far says that they're aiming for NA curb weights, 1.4L Skyactiv Turbo, and a smaller chassis than the NC. :confused:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Need to install motor mounts in the NB tonight.

Identical procedure to the NA? My 99+ FSM doesn't seem to cover the procedure other than listing the torque specs for them.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

quote:

Under the plan, the Mazda and Alfa Romeo models will share a basic rear-wheel drive platform being developed for the next-gen MX-5, which is due out next year as a 2014 model.

When were release dates for the ND confirmed? I thought everything regarding the ND was essentially speculation at this point.

funkyaintit posted:

An Alpha MX-5 could really be a thing of beauty.

Maybe I'm a minority, but I think the NC is pretty drat good looking, especially in red. My only issue with the design is the ":D", but I think everybody hates that.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I am so excited for the ND Miata based on what little rumors are out there floating around. And these new whispers of an Alfa/Mazda partnership just makes me all the more excited.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

Maybe I'm a minority, but I think the NC is pretty drat good looking, especially in red. My only issue with the design is the ":D", but I think everybody hates that.

Strangely enough when the NC first came out I thought it looked bloated and ugly, like a bathtub on wheels. Now that the design is a few years old it has really grown on me and I see it as a natural evolution from the NB.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yeah the new miata is going to be a beast in mpg and fun. A miata that doesn't guzzle gas, who would have thunk it.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

Strangely enough when the NC first came out I thought it looked bloated and ugly, like a bathtub on wheels. Now that the design is a few years old it has really grown on me and I see it as a natural evolution from the NB.

A few? Try 7. The ND is over-freakin'-due and it's still a few years out.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Previa_fun posted:

I'm the same - if anything other cars have come out with similar design cues and even the pre facelift ones look pretty decent to me now. When they first came out I thought they were hideous. I still prefer the look of the facelifted NC.

funkyaintit
Nov 2, 2002
funky it is!
The Miata has never been classically beautiful, but each generation has its own charms in an understated way. If Alpha brought even a tenth of the style of the 8C or 4C to the platform... unnnnnggggg

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Blaise posted:

A few? Try 7. The ND is over-freakin'-due and it's still a few years out.

The second generation camaro lasted 11 years, BMW's trend of naming cars after 3 digits of letters and numbers and replacing the car every 5-7 years really needs to stop.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

^^^ Totally agree. The Mk1 VW Golf/Rabbit lasted 10 years in the US (19 if you count the Cabriolet, and 35 years if you count production in South Africa until 2009)

As for the Miata, the only one that looks any good to me is the NB, like a baby Viper. I hope the ND goes back to something like that instead of a bathtub.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

aventari posted:

As for the Miata, the only one that looks any good to me is the NB, like a baby Viper.

The Enkei wheels that come on the 02 SE look like baby Viper wheels too.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My car's missing a roof so I've been driving this boring pos to work lately.

Still loving the FMDP.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dont stay up drinking until 3AM when you have an autocross at 7AM. Sorry my car isnt a baby viper :(

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Dont stay up drinking until 3AM when you have an autocross at 7AM. Sorry my car isnt a baby viper :(

I did that before going to the track. Blacked out around 2AM and got up at 5AM. It sucked, until after lunch. Speaking of which, I managed to spin on turn 3 at CMP. Went in hot (flat) and instrutor told me not to lift. I didnt lift. Didnt hit anything, just got a poo poo load of dirt in my car.
Heres a long rear end video of my runs. Didnt really feel any fade in the HP+/HPS combo. Tires are poo poo though and they did chunk a little. I had a blast.
http://youtu.be/F6fzZJX944g
Going to be at CMP again this weekend for an autocross. Will be running some bald R1Rs, so we will see how that goes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Isn't T3 the one where the armco is less than 10ft away from the edge of the gators?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Phone posted:

Isn't T3 the one where the armco is less than 10ft away from the edge of the gators?

Its close. It was the corner not to spin on. I started spinning early in the corner and ended up going up a hill so that slowed me down quite nicely. This is about where I stopped. https://www.goo.gl/ZpNsz

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, you got extremely lucky. I've only spun at CMP once (out of the two times I've been there) at T1 because I got up into the gator where there was a bunch of sand.

Why did you take off the rear sway bar?

e: how does a T1 work? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSe9Kr351Eo

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
CMP is pretty fun, I'll be there in a few weeks. I liked the time you thought you could carry 15mph more through T4. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

FatCow posted:

CMP is pretty fun, I'll be there in a few weeks. I liked the time you thought you could carry 15mph more through T4. :)

Yeah Ive got one more day with Turn 1 I need to use, I cant wait to get out there again. My instructor kept trying to get me to carry more speed through T4. I got better at it by the end of the day, but I did go off there twice. Neither were big offs, just no one around and I wanted avoid hitting the markers on the inside of T5. The martial's words to me after the second off there was something along the lines of "So that was your second time off there? Hell, at least your consistent." then waved me back on. After you get the hang of it T8 is a poo poo load of fun. Just chuck it in and put it too the floor.

Phone posted:

Yeah, you got extremely lucky. I've only spun at CMP once (out of the two times I've been there) at T1 because I got up into the gator where there was a bunch of sand.

Why did you take off the rear sway bar?

e: how does a T1 work? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSe9Kr351Eo

I did get very lucky. I was much more careful at T3 after that. I took the rear sway off because my autocross friends said to. I didn't bother to put it back on for the track, thought id run the first run with out it. If it was bad I had it with me and Id put it back on. It felt like the back was a little more stable with out it, so I just left it off for the day. Im thinking about getting a Racing Beat tubular front bar, when I get that I'll put the rear back on.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 25, 2012