Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
it's @DougDOESmusic. Hang on, I'll grab the twitter quotes:

@DougDOESMUSIC posted:

The owner of Earwolf hosed me over a year ago and now he wants to 'apologize' for the bullshit he put me through. If you fans only knew....

I was taken advantage of, and then cast aside when I needed proper compensation. The owner of Earwolf is a joke. No joke.

I had moved on. He hit me up to tell me 'good news'. When I told him to shove his good news, he wanted to apologize. I'm sick of liars.

By the way, I didn't want to make the BS I dealt with public, but he crossed the line with his faux apology. I have 0 respect for this dude

Sociopath. A person who uses people as chess pieces for their grand scheme. When they are not moveable, they are worthless to the sociopath.

I'm done. gently caress the bean counter that owns Earwolf

my gripe is not all about money, it's about time and degenerate work environ

and my beef is focused on one person. I realized I hadn't resolved it, nor do I believe it can be. But your right, MOVE ON

Urk! fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Greggy posted:

I think so. Ulrich seems to be like the evil Matt Belknap. Do you have a link to that twitter thing?

http://twitter.com/#!/DOUGDoesMusic

And Dustin has apparently founded a podcast network called Feral Audio. Mousing over the "about" section on feralaudio.com kind of tells you everything you need to know.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

plastered quack posted:

it's @DougDOESmusic. Hang on, I'll grab the twitter quotes:

This is one of those situations where the way the guy is playing the victim tells me more about the situation than anything.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Compensation is the reason Cyber Thug tanked, and the motivation behind the business model of Feral Audio that Palpy mentioned. Isn't that the majority of people who've left Earwolf complaining?

If Drew Droege goes on a rant about it, I'd say that'd be everyone.

I'm having a hard time figuring out who's doing what over at Earwolf. On one hand, you have these complaints that seem to center around Ulrich (That premium Cyber Thug ep. calls him "The Devil", gee I wonder what's going on). Whenever Ulrich is mentioned as an aside during a podcast, it's never positively. Soooo what the gently caress is Scott doing? Why did he create a company that would allow Ulrich to have leverage over him? I guess Ulrich provided the capital? Or is Scott implicitly involved?

I'd like to know Scott's role in all of this. I have a hard time believing someone capable of getting several well-known, busy actors/actresses and comedians to show up to provide hours of content for free (well, or for a 2 second plug) is the bridge-burning rear end in a top hat here.

Vv Oh I agree, that's not how to handle something like this. vV

Urk! fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 23, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

plastered quack posted:

Compensation is the reason Cyber Thug tanked, and the motivation behind the business model of Feral Audio that Palpy mentioned. Isn't that the majority of people who've left Earwolf complaining?

I'm sure he was mistreated and taken advantage of but if your first response to someone coming to you to apologize to you is gently caress YOU MAN, I'M GONNA TELL MY TWITTER BUDDIES THAT YOU'RE AN rear end in a top hat, then I'm sure the rift wasn't just about money.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Aukerman used to say he hated advertising pretty regularly when he was still at 103.1. Now there's a commercial in between every comedy song and every 15 minutes in almost all the Earwolf podcasts.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 29, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

plastered quack posted:

I'm having a hard time figuring out who's doing what over at Earwolf. On one hand, you have these complaints that seem to center around Ulrich (That premium Cyber Thug ep. calls him "The Devil", gee I wonder what's going on). Whenever Ulrich is mentioned as an aside during a podcast, it's never positively. Soooo what the gently caress is Scott doing? Why did he create a company that would allow Ulrich to have leverage over him? I guess Ulrich provided the capital? Or is Scott implicitly involved?

I'd like to know Scott's role in all of this. I have a hard time believing someone capable of getting several well-known, busy actors/actresses and comedians to show up to provide hours of content for free (well, or for a 2 second plug) is the bridge-burning rear end in a top hat here.

Vv Oh I agree, that's not how to handle something like this. vV

Well there's this:

"@DustinMartian: @DOUGDoesMusic They have the best people over there, that is the real shame. I have a ton of respect for you."

"@DOUGDoesMusic: @DustinMartian 100% agreed. My co-workers, the talent, and their guests were and are great. Except for Jay Mohr. gently caress Jay Mohr."

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Trujillo posted:

Shahruz, the guy who designed the Earwolf app is at Feral Audio now
Not to play devil's advocate here, but having designed the ios app doesn't strike me as something that would be an ongoing, full-time job.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Trujillo posted:

Somethings always struck me as off about what goes on behind the scenes at Earwolf. Aukerman used to say he hated advertising pretty regularly when he was still at 103.1. Now there's a commercial in between every comedy song and every 15 minutes in almost all the Earwolf podcasts.

I think the thing that's going behind the scenes is that surprise, podcasting still isn't very profitable. Even something as successful as Maximum Fun basically only allows Jesse Thorn to live a modest, middle-class lifestyle and allow everybody else on the network to be able to afford to keep podcasting as a hobby. I doubt much worse happened to this engineer than being made vague promises about getting paid more one day and eventually either leaving or being let go when they didn't materialized, otherwise this would be a legal dispute and not a twitter slapfight.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Having a successful podcast makes a huge difference in your ticket sales. The only people getting screwed over are the engineers.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 29, 2012

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bless every one of you kind souls who talked about Uhh Yeah Dude a few pages ago.

I have no idea what it is about this loving podcast but I can't stop listening to it. I love it, but I can't explain it at all and it drives me nuts.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Poopy Palpy posted:

http://twitter.com/#!/DOUGDoesMusic

And Dustin has apparently founded a podcast network called Feral Audio. Mousing over the "about" section on feralaudio.com kind of tells you everything you need to know.

Thank you for telling me about Feral Audio because this just led to me learning that Brody Stevens has a podcast now.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Trujillo posted:

Jeff Ullrich was a financial and marketing consultant before he started Earwolf. If there isn't any profit in it then why did he do it? It obviously isn't a hobby to him, or a lot of comedians who do podcasts. Having a successful podcast makes a huge difference in your ticket sales. The only people getting screwed over are the engineers.
I came up with 2 quick ideas.

He wanted to build up Earwolf then sell to a major media company.
The Earwolf contracts are to some extent 360 deals, and management gets a cut of the standup money.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I came up with 2 quick ideas.

He wanted to build up Earwolf then sell to a major media company.
The Earwolf contracts are to some extent 360 deals, and management gets a cut of the standup money.

Why couldn't it just have been a bad investment? Even people with solid business credentials make them all the time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Groucho Marxist posted:

Thank you for telling me about Feral Audio because this just led to me learning that Brody Stevens has a podcast now.

I think what you mean is that STEven BROOOOOODYYYYY STEVENS has a podcast now. ENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNjoy it!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Fil5000 posted:

I think what you mean is that STEven BROOOOOODYYYYY STEVENS has a podcast now. ENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNjoy it!

POSITIVE ENERGY!!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
So how does Hardwick/Nerdist handle the money thing? Their sponsor stuff is not very intrusive and they seem to do just fine.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Groucho Marxist posted:

I was excited when I saw Sean Conroy had a podcast on there because he's an improv4humans regular, but I just listened to it and it stinks :(

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
That Feral Audio tag at the end of the Brody Stevens cast was pretty heavy handed. It was like an appendix to the whole Twitter conversation thing from Doug.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Popelmon posted:

So how does Hardwick/Nerdist handle the money thing? Their sponsor stuff is not very intrusive and they seem to do just fine.

I can't speak to how the pay their talent, but they seem better at selling ads to me. They actually have gotten companies certainly that appeal to their fanbase, like Gamefly and Threadless. Earwolf has gotten companies that mostly buy ad time on talk radio.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Popelmon posted:

Hardwick has said that he just recently stopped losing money on the podcasts (and theater?). They also only have one employee as opposed to several plus paid interns, and don't have a dedicated studio. To me it really seems like Nerdist is producing the podcasts on the cheap and using it as a platform to get deals like the Youtube channel and other media investment, the way bigger comic companies mainly publish comics to develop new intellectual property for TV/merchandising/movies.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Anyone know why Google is warning me that the A Special Thing website 'may harm your computer.'? Have they had some malware problems?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Anyone know why Google is warning me that the A Special Thing website 'may harm your computer.'? Have they had some malware problems?

There is a link on the warning page that says

quote:

What happened when Google visited this site?
Of the 12 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 9 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-05-23, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-05-23.
Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including url2shortDOTinfo/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS26347 (DREAMHOST).

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
This week's Judge John Hodgman starts out strong! Check it out, if only for the opening.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

King Lou posted:

There is a link on the warning page

Cheers. I dared visit on my home computer with NoScript and all that. It seems some people have been occasionally forwarded to naughty sites, and they're looking into it.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
It looks like PFT is putting in a litte more advertisement effort into Dead Author Podcast. Kind of a fun little video.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Nemo posted:

This week's Judge John Hodgman starts out strong! Check it out, if only for the opening.

The city of Portland exists to create disputes for John Hodgman to rule on.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Just because I figure a lot of people approach "one man shows" like WTF based on whether they recognize/like the guest, Marc's Killer Beaz interview is pretty pro-click.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

The new live Gelmania should be required listening for anyone who listens to podcasts

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Oh for fucks sake. I just started to watch Eagleheart and everytime Brett Gelman speaks I expect him to go weirder and weirder and WEIRDER. And I am rarely disappointed.

What a great show :allears:.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Gelman is loving amazing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

People experienced Gelmania live? Anyone know how to do a time travel mind/body swap? PM me.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I just started going through the Thrilling Adventure Hour archives, and I don't really find any of the recurring shows funny so far except for Beyond Belief. Do they work out the kinks at all?

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
If you don't like Captain Laserbeam or Sparks Nevada from the start, you probably never will. There are a lot of cool guest stars like Nathan Fillion and James Urbaniak, but the format doesn't really change much.

Tales from the Black Lagoon is much slower than the other features. It gets fun when Jimmy Stewart is introduced, but again, if you don't like it from the start you probably never will.

I think Moonshine Holler is great, but they don't release that on the podcast as often as some of the other segments.

They did the live show for years before they started releasing podcasts, so they've had plenty of time to hammer out good material. I'd kill to attend a show if I'm ever out in LA.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I'd say the production value of Thrilling Adventure Hour goes WAY WAY up further along in the show. Sparks Nevada is loving amazingly written. Beyond Belief is also great but I may be biased by my enjoyment of alcoholic humor.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

AMAZING DOUBLE POST!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The Doyles' complete disdain for everyone never fails to make me crack up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Of all the Thrilling Adventure Hours, I liked Black Lagoon the least as it didn't really seem to be in the same vein as the others. It got better later on once Alfred Hitchcock and Jimmy Stewart showed up, but I don't think it started well.

Sparks Nevada is awesome and would get that rating for me if it consisted of nothing but the theme song and the bickering about whether it's called Mars or Galoot Prakt Ar (may not be correctly spelled). In fact all the themes are great.

Fake Edit:

Wikipedia posted:

Josh Malina plays the Barkeep of the Space Saloon. He does not want any trouble in his place.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Speaking of the Thrilling Adventure Hour, I just read on their blog that they had someone else cast as the Chupacabra in the most recent Beyond Belief originally. Namely, Nick Kroll.

jesus gently caress they just missed out on incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

That ep was already really good, I can't imagine how great it would've been with Nick Kroll. My head probably would've exploded.

• Locked thread