Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
When it comes to browsers, are people using Chrome or ICS Browser+ on ICS?

edit: FWIW, I just found out about Browser+ and it seems worlds faster than Chrome on my CDMA GNex (running CM9).

BoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I've always liked doplhin the best on GB or ICS.

It's pissing me off lately though, they added something a month or so ago so that if you scroll up (swipe down) a page it shows the tab bar, like the ICS browser does and I can't figure out how to turn it off.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I'm about ready to ditch Chrome. The space it gobbles up is insane and performance is still pretty poor.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I was excited when I got ICS on my Amaze, because the first thing I did was install Chrome because I love using it on my computer. But the drat thing doesn't seem to work properly. It never displays pages right for me, Facebook for example is always formatted wrong. It also doesn't have some of the features that I came to love about Dolphin.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm about ready to ditch Chrome. The space it gobbles up is insane and performance is still pretty poor.

Yeah, Chrome unfortunately sucks on my ICS TF101. The stock ICS browser is actually pretty drat good, though.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Speaking of browsers, is it possible to get the "true' stock browser from somewhere? By and large I'm happy with it -- no bloat, does what I need. But the stock browser on the Captivate is Samsung's bastardized version, which has the "feature" of ignoring the system brightness setting. That means every time I'm outside and up the brightness to do something, as soon as I open the browser the brightness is back to "inside" levels, and I have to adjust it in the browser as well. From what I understand this is a Samsung thing, and other providers don't do this. It's easy enough to remove my stock browser with TB, but com.android.browser does not seem to exist on the Market. Is there a technical reason for this?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I'm still liking boat browser quite a bit

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

rotaryfun posted:

I'm still liking boat browser quite a bit

Oh yeah, Boat is one of the best choices for slower phones. It runs like a top on my Samsung Exhibit II 4G, even faster than Dolphin.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

fudsak posted:

Let me know if you find a way to actually spend that $10. It can't be used in the market and got declined at Home Depot for me.

I used mine at McDonald's.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BoyBlunder posted:

edit: FWIW, I just found out about Browser+ and it seems worlds faster than Chrome on my CDMA GNex (running CM9).

I'll spend a few weeks using Chrome, then get irritated with its still-less-than-stock performance so switch back to stock for a few weeks and start longing for Chrome features, so switch back, repeat ad infinium.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

fudsak posted:

Let me know if you find a way to actually spend that $10. It can't be used in the market and got declined at Home Depot for me.

You can locate stores that support pay pass here, http://www.google.com/wallet/where-it-works.html. I use mine every time I go to CVS.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I'll spend a few weeks using Chrome, then get irritated with its still-less-than-stock performance so switch back to stock for a few weeks and start longing for Chrome features, so switch back, repeat ad infinium.

Serious question - what Chrome features? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that it has exclusively is the tab syncing with the desktop browser.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I've been following the thread since the beginning, but if this has been discussed in detail before I apologize for bringing it up.

I don't know how many of us are rooted, I'm sure a large amount are, but I'm just not sure about the security of having Google Wallet on a rooted device. Are people tying their credit/debit cards to Wallet? Couldn't apps get access to that data? I'm not trying to be :tinfoil:, but isn't that possible? Aside from the rooted aspect, NFC itself has been hacked many times. It's quite popular in Japan, I wonder what kind of security measures they take to prevent NFC hacking, account info stealing, man-in-the-middle attacks, etc.

Some make the argument, "Well someone could steal your wallet just as easily as your phone." That's true, but unless I have an NFC credit card, they'd have to physically take the wallet away from me. With NFC and Google wallet, things can be hacked and stolen without anyone knowing until it's too late. How secure is NFC?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Manky posted:

Serious question - what Chrome features? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that it has exclusively is the tab syncing with the desktop browser.

Tab and bookmark syncing. I also use tab management features of Chrome a lot. Like a swipe from left or right from the very edge of the screen switches to the next/previous tab.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

BoyBlunder posted:

I've been using ICS Browser+ for a while, and don't see myself switching. I love the thumb controls.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Cakefool posted:

I don't get it.
Not to continue this derail, but, to explain for you, flash sheets are the pre-drawn designs you see in the wall or in books at tattoo shops. It's, typically, terribly , generic things like butterflies, tribals, and whatnot. I'm thinking highme made the joke due to the fact that I work in a tattoo shop.

LastInLine posted:

Flash stuff

Thanks. It was a serious question, since having Flash seems to be something Android people like to brag about to iOS people (guilty of it myself), so I didn't get why they'd drop it. But, I get it now. I've also always had mine set to display that type thing On Demand and can't remember, offhand, the last time I used it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

hooah posted:

I've been using ICS Browser+ for a while, and don't see myself switching. I love the thumb controls.

I'm in this boat also. The only problem I have with Browser+ is that you can't organise bookmarks but I think that may be a an issue with the stock browser that was carried over.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Does anyone use Widget Locker and Gentle Alarm? It seems to be that when an alarm goes off in Gentle Alarm, Widget Locker somehow gets disabled and will not return unless I reset the phone.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
I too like Chrome but it's such a memory hog that it gets kicked out of RAM very quickly. This means every time you go to fire it up it always has to reload - and it takes too long to do this compared to the stock ICS browser.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Tab and bookmark syncing. I also use tab management features of Chrome a lot. Like a swipe from left or right from the very edge of the screen switches to the next/previous tab.

Fair enough, I was wondering if there was any other reason to use it yet. Its performance compared to the stock cm9/ics browser has always been way worse so I never use it.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Drevoak posted:

Does anyone use Widget Locker and Gentle Alarm? It seems to be that when an alarm goes off in Gentle Alarm, Widget Locker somehow gets disabled and will not return unless I reset the phone.

I use both and have had no issues with either. I'm rooted, though.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Nevermind, I'm stupid.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Question: such a big deal is made about mounting external storage with Android and how they had to go to MTP to make it doable without cutting resources off from the device while mounted etc etc. So how does Wifi Explorer work? (pre-ICS I mean)

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

What's the current choice for video players ? (free or paid)

I use to use Dice Player and had paid for it but I'm not very impressed that from what I can see they have abandoned it and released it as a new app meaning I'd have to pay again for the current version.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm not really sure where the best place to ask this question is, but I'll try here: my Google music app is horrendously messed up. I set a certain batch of songs to be available offline and it worked great for a few days but then I noticed some of my songs and bands were missing and then I entered the subway today to find there were ten songs on my phone. What is going on?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

yamdankee posted:

How secure is NFC?
NFC is about as secure as a wet paper bag. Look up "Mifare hacking" in your search engine of choice for details on why it sucks.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Sendo posted:

What's the current choice for video players ? (free or paid)

I use to use Dice Player and had paid for it but I'm not very impressed that from what I can see they have abandoned it and released it as a new app meaning I'd have to pay again for the current version.

MXPlayer is pretty drat good. MVideoPlayer is good as well.

MX is software and MVideo is hardware.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

MeinGott posted:

MXPlayer is pretty drat good. MVideoPlayer is good as well.

MX is software and MVideo is hardware.

MX player has hardware acceleration, works pretty well on my Tegra 2 tablet.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Drevoak posted:

Widget Locker was pretty buggy on my GS2 with a few problems that required me to reboot the phone. (like half my locksreen disappearing) It's because of that I made the switch to CM9 in order to use ICS's lockscreen.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Geekner posted:

MX player has hardware acceleration, works pretty well on my Tegra 2 tablet.

Oh yeah that's right :downs:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
What's the name of that app that'll let you 'make' a widget from scratch? I've seen it talked about in this thread, but don't have search :smith:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What's the name of that app that'll let you 'make' a widget from scratch? I've seen it talked about in this thread, but don't have search :smith:
Make Your Clock Widget

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It is awesome if you just can't stop loving with things.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cakefool posted:

It is awesome if you just can't stop loving with things.
Do you have the paid version? If so, can you use as an element of the widget the city you're currently in? That's something that seems to missing in every time/date/weather widget except Beautiful Widgets and I find it very useful.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
Anyone else here using bTunes to play their music? I like it well enough because of its smooth interface, but there is some sort of glitch where the app will sometimes stop playing music and shut down completely (i.e. disappear from my notification bar). It happened a couple of times when my phone was tucked away snugly in my pocket. It has also happened a few times when hitting the Home button while using the phone.

I'm not using any task killer.

What could be causing this?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Do you have the paid version? If so, can you use as an element of the widget the city you're currently in? That's something that seems to missing in every time/date/weather widget except Beautiful Widgets and I find it very useful.

Yes & sort of - I just checked & "weather forecast location" gives me a county (Derbyshire) rather than the nearest city (Derby). I'm not sure what exactly it would report in other countries though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Palpatine MD posted:

Anyone else here using bTunes to play their music? I like it well enough because of its smooth interface, but there is some sort of glitch where the app will sometimes stop playing music and shut down completely (i.e. disappear from my notification bar). It happened a couple of times when my phone was tucked away snugly in my pocket. It has also happened a few times when hitting the Home button while using the phone.

I'm not using any task killer.

What could be causing this?
Once upon an eon, Listen caused this. I don't mean to say that Listen would stop playing abruptly, I mean to say that having the Listen service running would cause the stock (or I think, any) Music app from playing music while simultaneously causing the on-screen playback buttons in CM6/7 to stop working (pressing play/pause would do neither). Unlocking the phone and going to the Music app however would restart playback just fine. They eventually corrected this in an update (the first one after like two years).

I'm telling this story because I guess the lesson would be that it could be a third-party app causing this. Maybe try using the stock player for your device for a while and see if it does it?

Also I used bTunes way back before CM6 got lockscreen music controls but quickly moved on since it looked so out of place an iOS imitator app plus the dev seemed to have abandoned it even then. Why do you stick with it after all these years?

Cakefool posted:

Yes & sort of - I just checked & "weather forecast location" gives me a county (Derbyshire) rather than the nearest city (Derby). I'm not sure what exactly it would report in other countries though.
Man, that's pretty tempting then. I'm sick of the BW I've been using since I bought an Android back in January of 2010 but I've never found anything that I thought I could live with. I might have to try that out.

Edit: I just installed the free version to try things out and I like what I see kind of but the problem I'm having is the same one that I had when it first got posted on the Market. The free version doesn't offer anything I want (and as far as I can tell at the moment, it's completely broken as every element claims to be pay only whether it's white or grey) and the pay version lacks specific features I'd need to use it so I'm not going to pay so I'll never find out if he fixes it.

For instance the weather updating is configurable but I prefer what most weather widgets do where they update whenever the screen comes on if it's been longer than a certain amount of time otherwise they don't update at all. Some way to import fonts is promised but again, I'm not paying for six free fonts and no way to expand on that. It still feels 80% done in a lot of ways and while I love the idea I'm not going to pay for something I'm not going to use at all until it can replace what I have. :(

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 24, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

A word of warning, the gallery of other peoples designs is a trainwreck of terrible design, absence of ui understanding and colour theory. Just make your own.

E: yes, it's a work in progress & 80% is being kind. I'm just an optimist.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cakefool posted:

A word of warning, the gallery of other peoples designs is a trainwreck of terrible design, absence of ui understanding and colour theory. Just make your own.
No kidding, the gallery is awful.

Cakefool posted:

E: yes, it's a work in progress & 80% is being kind. I'm just an optimist.
How often is it being updated? It's been almost a year he's been working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

LastInLine posted:

No kidding, the gallery is awful.
How often is it being updated? It's been almost a year he's been working on it.

Just got an update yesterday, last one was 6-8 weeks ago. Apparently it's out of beta now though? Still needs more features.

• Locked thread