Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
I ended getting the HF box around christmas before they phased to the gloss red. I love mine for the price. There's always a coupon floating around for them (I think the lowest I've seen recently was 359). I've never seen it below $300 any time recently.

I've read when they first came out you could use the 20% coupon on them and that would be amazing. Lowest I ever heard of was $250. If you really want it lower, you could try for a scratch and dent model or if they have any of the older paint scheme. Be warned though, they are heavier than they look. I think 306? lbs dry, if I remember correctly on the packaging. I wish it had deeper drawers, but that's my only complaint. For the general home user, it's great. Hell, I've read about quite a few professionals using it. I may look into a used snap on in the future, but I've still got space to fill. Also, the new gloss red is now labeled as (44"), but the box is still 42" wide to my understanding. I think they just added the handle in the measurement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Suniikaa posted:

Could you explain what this for those who haven't seen the show?

Here it is!

http://youtu.be/cJNKMjYrnkg?t=11m9s

This show reminds me of PBCrunch's thread.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 22, 2012

Mikaelomo
Jul 27, 2007
I've got about 400 dollars to spend on tools, I have 4 3ton jackstands and a crappy Walmart hydraulic jack. What should I buy knowing i'll only be doing basic maintenance.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Mikaelomo posted:

I've got about 400 dollars to spend on tools, I have 4 3ton jackstands and a crappy Walmart hydraulic jack. What should I buy knowing i'll only be doing basic maintenance.

Costco has a nice Crescent brand tool set that has almost everything you'll need (sockets, deep sockets, wrenches, etc.) for about $100. Get either the Harbor Freight 3 ton floor jack if you'll never move it or the 2.5 ton aluminum one if you need something portable--both are about $80-100. Also get a couple torque wrenches (3/8" and 1/2") and breaker bars (same sizes) from HF for another $50 or so. Save the rest for the random tools you'll need as you go.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Here it is!

http://youtu.be/cJNKMjYrnkg?t=11m9s

This show reminds me of PBCrunch's thread.
It's just like a really complex stud gun setup. Yes, real shops use them all the time and they are great. Harbor Freight has them, among others.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Mikaelomo posted:

You should get at least one fat rubber wheel chock to go with the stands and jack. $10 or $12 at Harbor Freight, theirs are great.

Also, spend $50 on ramps.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Who here loves the ratcheting wrenches?

I am thinking about purchasing a set at HF. I know the tools there aren't the best, but I have been having awesome luck.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I have Gearwrench ones (locking flex-heads) and they're loving tits; I use them more often than sockets, and on every single project. The HF ones have fat rings and the teeth aren't as nice but they're a lot cheaper. I got some real teeny ones there for under :10bux: as a "just in case", so keep an eye out for those too.

Be warned that the open ends of HF wrenches usually have hilariously sloppy tolerances.

Assholio
Sep 13, 2004

okay
So I had a blowout the other day on the interstate and had to use the godawful widowmaker emergency Jack on my Jetta. I had the car jacked up almost as far as I needed to put the spare on and the base of the Jack started to bend. Scary poo poo. Given, the angle the car was at wasn't ideal, bit it was close enough to level that I feel the loving thing shouldn't have deformed as much as it did. Oh well.

Here's where the question comes in: do you guys think the smaller HF aluminum Jack would work for emergency duty, or should I not bother and step up to a beefier brand?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That jack rules, and is good for a lot more than just emergency duty. I've used mine for everything I've done in the last 4 years (on 3500lb station wagons) and it's a champ. Not sure I'm okay with HF jackstands, though, don't try to go cheap on stands.

VVV Fair enough.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 23, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have either six or eight of the HF 6 ton jackstands and they do the job quite nicely. Check the welds before using them of course but I've never had a set that didn't pass my inspection.

Assholio
Sep 13, 2004

okay
Right on. Thanks a ton. I figured it would probably be just fine living in my trunk. I've already got a large heavy floor Jack (and good stands) for the garage.

To that point, the husky brand 2.5 ton jack and stands have been excellent thus far for light oil change duties on various cars and my old 1/2 ton truck.

Assholio fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 23, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Put it on its side or it'll roll around and be loving annoying.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Who here loves the ratcheting wrenches?

I am thinking about purchasing a set at HF. I know the tools there aren't the best, but I have been having awesome luck.

I'd recommend spending a bit more for the Gearwrench ones. They're a lot thinner, the tolerances are nicer, and the ratchet action on the HF ones jam up if you put any reasonable torque into them. They unjam easily, but for something you'll use all the time (and you will) I think it's worth it to get the good stuff. I think Sears has some reasonable deals on them sometimes.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Raluek posted:

the ratchet action on the HF ones jam up if you put any reasonable torque into them.

That sucks, because I beat the loving piss out of my Gearwrench ones with an all-steel 3-pound sledge on a regular basis and have yet to do any damage other than a little cosmetic scuffing. I'm hitting the far end from the bolt, basically using the sledge as an impact cheater pipe. They are built tough as poo poo.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Went to HF today.

I purchased a composite 3/8 ratchet, some U joints and extensions... Then headed out and purchased a set of Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches both metric and SAE. I can't wait to use them this weekend! They look and feel better than HF's.

Oh I saw they had these "go through" sockets at HF. Looks kinda like it could be handy here and there. Any one ever play with it?

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/21-piece-saemetric-go-thru-socket-set-67974.html

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 25, 2012

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Went to HF today.

I purchased a composite 3/8 ratchet, some U joints and extensions... Then headed out and purchased a set of Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches both metric and SAE. I can't wait to use them this weekend! They look and feel better than HF's.

Oh I saw they had these "go through" sockets at HF. Looks kinda like it could be handy here and there. Any one ever play with it?

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/21-piece-saemetric-go-thru-socket-set-67974.html

Lowes sold a Kobalt set that was pass through. It's my favorite tool set :)

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
e:^^^ I've got something like that I bought probably 10+ years ago. The set is called "The O-Ratchet" :quagmire: and it is awesome for certain jobs.

I have been sort of looking around for a new multimeter to replace my trusty but getting kind of beat Radio Shack fold up one. I was at HF the other day where I stumbled on this one which looked cool so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've only used it a couple times but I already love it. Need to know relative humidity? Or decibel level? Or luminance? Hertz? Temp? I probably will never need any of these things, but it's nice to know that I now have an instrument that will measure all of them for me.

When you select a function, it lights up the sockets you need to plug the test leads into, which is a bit :downs: but nice if you don't do this kind of thing every day. Oh, and it makes angry beeping sounds and flashes the correct socket light if you have the leads plugged in wrong. :haw: Nice big display with a switchable backlight, too. The probes have these removable little sleeves on the end of them which are open just at the very tip with a little space around it, so you can probe closely spaced pins without the probes slipping off or risking touching the other pins. Came with batteries even, although it says on the site that they're not included. My only gripe so far is how freakin big it is (think original Gameboy), and that there's no "peak hold" function. All in all, not too shabby for $38.

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 31, 2012

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How accurate is it? The freebie ones they give away are actually not all that bad! I checked them compared to good ones and its with in 5% of the expensive ones. And I figure for automotive use, its good enough.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How accurate is it? The freebie ones they give away are actually not all that bad! I checked them compared to good ones and its with in 5% of the expensive ones. And I figure for automotive use, its good enough.

I compared it a bit with my old one (what I could, anyway), and they both agreed with each other at least. Although I don't know one way or another how accurate my old one is though, so v:shobon:v

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thanks! I mean, for the money, that is not bad.

I love my Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches. They are the cats god drat meow. Thanks for the tips!

I am going to buy the go through ratchet set.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Black88GTA posted:

e:^^^ I've got something like that I bought probably 10+ years ago. The set is called "The O-Ratchet" :quagmire: and it is awesome for certain jobs.

I have been sort of looking around for a new multimeter to replace my trusty but getting kind of beat Radio Shack fold up one. I was at HF the other day where I stumbled on this one which looked cool so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've only used it a couple times but I already love it. Need to know relative humidity? Or decibel level? Or luminance? Hertz? Temp? I probably will never need any of these things, but it's nice to know that I now have an instrument that will measure all of them for me.

When you select a function, it lights up the sockets you need to plug the test leads into, which is a bit :downs: but nice if you don't do this kind of thing every day. Oh, and it makes angry beeping sounds and flashes the correct socket light if you have the leads plugged in wrong. :haw: Nice big display with a switchable backlight, too. The probes have these removable little sleeves on the end of them which are open just at the very tip with a little space around it, so you can probe closely spaced pins without the probes slipping off or risking touching the other pins. Came with batteries even, although it says on the site that they're not included. My only gripe so far is how freakin big it is (think original Gameboy), and that there's no "peak hold" function. All in all, not too shabby for $38.

Son of a bitch, that's a pretty direct knockoff of the Protek 6300.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Splizwarf posted:

That sucks, because I beat the loving piss out of my Gearwrench ones with an all-steel 3-pound sledge on a regular basis and have yet to do any damage other than a little cosmetic scuffing. I'm hitting the far end from the bolt, basically using the sledge as an impact cheater pipe. They are built tough as poo poo.

I work on wind turbines and have a sweet set of gearwrench wrenches. They are tits awesome as long as you don't do something stupid like use the closed end as a backer for a hytorc. You use a 36mm for anything over 600nm, consider it hosed.

They are worth every penny especially considering I'm not using some special 'industrial' variety of them. Just your generic gearwrench. So don't worry too much about them loving up they are extremely well built and cheap.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Black88GTA posted:

I'm normally very suspicious of anything from Harbor Freight which has electrons flowing through it, but I've got one of these, used it fairly regularly on motorcycles for a couple years now, and it still works great.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Raluek posted:

Son of a bitch, that's a pretty direct knockoff of the Protek 6300.

Wow that's eerily similar...
I'm comparing the spec sheets and can't find a difference.

this looks pretty similar too:
http://www.amazon.com/Sinometer-Man...d=ISBN4WB3UNEE2

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm normally very suspicious of anything from Harbor Freight which has electrons flowing through it, but I've got one of these, used it fairly regularly on motorcycles for a couple years now, and it still works great.

Looking at the reviews on HF's website, one guy measured the input resistance of the meter in voltage mode, and it swung between 300k and 500k - way off from the advertised 10M! It's probably fine for automotive use, where you aren't dealing with small current circuits, but I'd still not trust it as a general purpose multimeter.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I'm considering picking one of the 700 Lbs. Capacity Five Drawer Tool Cart up for general tool storage. I don't have a whole lot of tools and don't really need anything fancy, but it seems like it will fit the bill for a sturdy cart that will last a long time.

Anyone have one of these and if so, what do you think of it? After playing with one in store, I think I'd want to disable the drawer lock that's tied to the lid being opened--the drawers all have individual catches so I don't really need that for my purposes. Do you think that would be easy enough to do or would it not be worth the hassle?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

smax posted:

I'm considering picking one of the 700 Lbs. Capacity Five Drawer Tool Cart up for general tool storage. I don't have a whole lot of tools and don't really need anything fancy, but it seems like it will fit the bill for a sturdy cart that will last a long time.

Anyone have one of these and if so, what do you think of it? After playing with one in store, I think I'd want to disable the drawer lock that's tied to the lid being opened--the drawers all have individual catches so I don't really need that for my purposes. Do you think that would be easy enough to do or would it not be worth the hassle?

I have one, and I'm quite fond of it. Assembly was a stone cold bitch, and I never did manage to get it perfectly square, but it's quite sturdy, has plenty of room for the tools that I have, and was dirt cheap since I got it on sale with a 20% off coupon before they put the kibosh on that sort of thing.

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

smax posted:

Do it. Other than having to assemble it yourself (wasn't that bad), it's identical in quality to the service carts that the expensive brands sell. Having an extra person around to lift the main part of the cabinet up onto the frame would be very wise, if not a necessity.

Oh and it must be pretty loving strong, because my co-worker was the only guy in the shop when my new 60" rollcab was delivered, and he took it upon himself to stack it on top of my HF service cart with the forklift (empty of course, but still). I came in to work the next day to a note that said "Hey man your top box came in yesterday so I installed it for you."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Raluek posted:

Looking at the reviews on HF's website, one guy measured the input resistance of the meter in voltage mode, and it swung between 300k and 500k - way off from the advertised 10M! It's probably fine for automotive use, where you aren't dealing with small current circuits, but I'd still not trust it as a general purpose multimeter.

woah... that's kind of important. Thanks for the heads up, I was just about to buy one. I'll be using it mostly to test/make Electronic Cigarettes so this one is out. Automotive use is a secondary concern.

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004
My dremel, a wire wheel and I are very good friends. I use it to clean up just about any component I take off of a car. However they are outrageously priced, $4+ for one last time I looked at Walmart. There are multipacks I can buy on eBay but I don't know about the quality.

Does anyone know a good source for them? I don't care if they're dremel brand just of working quality.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

penis bandana posted:

Do it. Other than having to assemble it yourself (wasn't that bad), it's identical in quality to the service carts that the expensive brands sell. Having an extra person around to lift the main part of the cabinet up onto the frame would be very wise, if not a necessity.

Oh and it must be pretty loving strong, because my co-worker was the only guy in the shop when my new 60" rollcab was delivered, and he took it upon himself to stack it on top of my HF service cart with the forklift (empty of course, but still). I came in to work the next day to a note that said "Hey man your top box came in yesterday so I installed it for you."

I went this past weekend to take another look at it in person and I decided that no, I really don't need anything so big. I've got space for my stuff as it is. I picked up some sets of pliers, wrenches, etc. and went home.

Of course I now have no space left over for the stuff I just bought, so I might be going back this weekend to the parking lot sale to pick the tool cart up.

It'll be interesting if I can 1: get the box into the back of my GTI, and 2: get it back out alone without messing up my rear bumper.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Does anyone have experience with products from Raceramps? I'm specifically considering ordering these: http://www.reverselogic.us/ReverseLogicLimited/Adjustable_Height_Wheel_Cribs.html

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
I got the Harbor Freight aluminum race jack, but it was too short to lift my truck. I decided to get a bigger one:

It's got slightly more lift:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I like having a flashlight in my car, but I don't use them often enough and the batteries are usually dead when I need it. Any recommendations on one I can stick into a 12V socket (have a spare one in the trunk that isn't being used for anything) to keep charged for when I need it? Something like this would be okay if no one makes a bigger one with a cord, I guess.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nomex posted:

I got the Harbor Freight aluminum race jack, but it was too short to lift my truck. I decided to get a bigger one:

It's got slightly more lift:

That looks pretty much the same as the Clarke one I've got. Although they're a little large, they're not ridiculously unwieldy (something like 120lbs), so you can still pick it up without too much bother if necessary.

I bought mine because I didn't really need an extremely high capacity, but the range of height is very useful. The generic cheap 2-tone jacks you normally get won't even touch a Panda's jacking point at full stretch.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Uthor posted:

I like having a flashlight in my car, but I don't use them often enough and the batteries are usually dead when I need it. Any recommendations on one I can stick into a 12V socket (have a spare one in the trunk that isn't being used for anything) to keep charged for when I need it? Something like this would be okay if no one makes a bigger one with a cord, I guess.

Check the electrical aisle at Home Depot - they have a great Commercial Electric LED work light that comes with both an AC and a 12VDC charger. They will run for something like 10 hours on a single charge. Cost me $25 last time I got one.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Uthor posted:

I had a lighter socket flashlight just like that. They don't last very long due to the small batteries but they are great for quickly finding something in your car (like the spare batteries for your bigass flashlight)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Uthor posted:

You can't toss a flashlight in your car and expect it to work 10 years later, because alkalines only have a shelf life of 5 years or so. Just replace the flashlight batteries every time you change your car battery and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Why not just get one of those reasonable output led units that you charge by squeezing the handle, at least you should be able to get light when you want it.

I've a couple of the led lights with magnetic backs, which are quite useful if you can find something to attach them to in the right spot.