Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
My old job stocks Schweppes bitter lemon, I used to sell it all the time. It's lemony tonic water, it's gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Hoops posted:

I think most administrations have a bunch of deputies.

Their actual job titles are quite loose in the WW, they change a lot to serve the plot. CJ is the press secretary, she would take much more instruction from the Director of Communications, but it's never presented that way. Toby basically does the same job as Josh in the show, other than every so often a plot point about script writing comes up. Josh is basically the deputy CoS for plicy, Toby is the deputy CoS for communications. Sam is the same, a deputy communications director would have nothing to do with half the meetings he ends up having.

To be fair are Toby, Josh and Sam not also covered by the titles of Senior Advisors to the President, hence how Sam the depute communications director is sitting in on meetings and does Josh's job for a day, etc?

We know that Sam doesn't have codeword clearance or whatever the current term is, and we know that CJ as Press Secretary doesn't either. So there's also that aspect, but yeah.. it's kinda generalised due to the small number of people it focuses on.

myron cope posted:

I found this from a google search, but it was an ad I clicked on. I left the referral link in there because why not. Although $14 and change is likely not what you'll want to spend for a 1.5L bottle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LRIHOI...sl_15rdru5ra6_b

Being a former barman it's usually 12.5cl bottles for use as a mixer with a spirit. Gin and bitter lemon is pretty nice with plenty of ice, actually. It's really just tonic water with lemon juice and sugar, though.

James R fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 17, 2012

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm watching The American President, for the first time after seeing the West Wing. This is like the pilot episode of the West Wing. He even asked what the virtue of a proportional response is. And all the WW actors. I guess everyone knows this already (the movie is even how Sorkin convinced them a TV show would work, right?).

Would people really be pissed off that the President is dating?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

myron cope posted:

I'm watching The American President, for the first time after seeing the West Wing. This is like the pilot episode of the West Wing. He even asked what the virtue of a proportional response is. And all the WW actors. I guess everyone knows this already (the movie is even how Sorkin convinced them a TV show would work, right?).

Would he be dating a man or a woman?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

myron cope posted:

Would people really be pissed off that the President

Yes.

I miss when Bravo used to show back-to-back episodes in the morning. It was a great hangover cure.

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
They stopped showing them? I haven't had cable in a year or so. Man, that was the only redeeming feature of Bravo. :smith:

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

myron cope posted:

If I remember right, Sorkin has said that some of the material from the first season of West Wing was cut material from American President

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm really curious about the ungodly amounts of coke Sorkin was doing while writing and producing Sports Night and West Wing at the same time.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

They made Ritchie such a caricature. At least at the War of the Roses thing. His "you're what my friends call a 'superior sumbitch'" is the line that really seals it for me (although his "Crime, boy I don't know" is also bad). They made it impossible for Bartlet to lose. People don't really talk like that, even George W. Although I think Rick Perry did his best to prove me wrong.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

myron cope posted:

They made Ritchie such a caricature. At least at the War of the Roses thing. His "you're what my friends call a 'superior sumbitch'" is the line that really seals it for me (although his "Crime, boy I don't know" is also bad). They made it impossible for Bartlet to lose. People don't really talk like that, even George W. Although I think Rick Perry did his best to prove me wrong.

Actually, the show has Bartlet pretty on the ropes until the debate--that's when he whooped Ritchie's rear end and pretty much sealed the election.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Yeah they talk about how Ritchie is close and stronger than you'd think and whatnot, but actually seeing the guy he's extremely unimpressive.

So I guess it's accurate for American politics then.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The funniest part of that election is that Bartlet wins in a landslide and still has to deal with a Republican House and Senate. As a reminder, here's the presumed electoral map from Bartlet v. Ritchie.

There's no way that results in a Republican Congress.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
West Wing was set in a world where people could actually differentiate how they felt about the President from how they felt about people in Congress.

Besides, I think the margin in both houses was like razor-thin for the Republicans anyway.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

The funniest part of that election is that Bartlet wins in a landslide and still has to deal with a Republican House and Senate. As a reminder, here's the presumed electoral map from Bartlet v. Ritchie.

There's no way that results in a Republican Congress.

There's a difference between Presidential outcomes and congressional election results.

While it's true that a massive win like Bartlett won for re-election helps the down-ticket candidates, it's not a foregone conclusion. Also, the previous midterms saw Congress flip decisively (in a nod to 1994) so it's possible those large gains overwhelmed any lost seats during Bartlett's reelection.

See: 1996 Presidential election where Clinton trounced Doll 379 to 159 but Republicans kept control of the House and Senate (lost 8 seats in the House, gained 2 in the Senate).

Also, there's a strong possibility of Obama beating Romney this fall but Republicans controlling both houses of Congress.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Thwomp posted:

See: 1996 Presidential election where Clinton trounced Doll 379 to 159 but Republicans kept control of the House and Senate (lost 8 seats in the House, gained 2 in the Senate).

I'm pretty sure I saw some interview where someone said that was the precise inspiration for the results.

Also, on a basic level, they needed a Republican House & Senate to provide antagonism.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
They also make fun of it when Will is trying to right the inagural speech. "In their infinite wisdom, the people have elected a a president of one party and a congress of another" and then either Will or someone else (probably Toby) calls the American people stupid.

I think the whole thing is commentary on Republican politics in general, that they're all idiots, but even dumber are the people that keep voting them in. Bartlet carried that election purely on his debate performance. "Well first of all let's clear up a couple of things, unfunded mandate is two words, not one big word." Then he just continues to demolish him. It gives me chills. Ritchie was quite the Romney, just towing the party line, not having any good ideas of his own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyqzPu5pX6U

If someone can find the rest of that debate, where even Ritchie admits that he got destroyed.

E: Holy poo poo, stumbled on this gem again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8unqrdurxyg

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 21, 2012

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

FISHMANPET posted:

E: Holy poo poo, stumbled on this gem again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8unqrdurxyg

Heh, the large, gray-haired evangelical guy played a mind rapist on an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

FISHMANPET posted:

They also make fun of it when Will is trying to right the inagural speech. "In their infinite wisdom, the people have elected a a president of one party and a congress of another" and then either Will or someone else (probably Toby) calls the American people stupid.
In a triumph of the middling, a nod to mediocrity, and with gorge rising, it gives me great nausea to announce Robert Russell - Bingo Bob, himself - as your new Vice President. This lapdog of the mining interests is as dull as he is unremarkable, as lackluster as he is soporific. This reversion to the mean, this rebuke to the exemplary, gives hope to the millions unfavored by the exceptional. Bob Russell: not the worst, not the best, just what we're stuck with.

(Toby, then Will)

It may not be the best show in television history, but it (or The Wire, to be fair) is drat sure the most quotable.

"You come at the king, you best not miss." - President Josiah Bartlet

The SARS Volta posted:

Heh, the large, gray-haired evangelical guy played a mind rapist on an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation
God drat, how many times have I see each of those episodes and still missed that.

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
I think that the scene with Toby and Will trying to write the VP speech for Russell is great because that kind of mindset affects a lot of people when dealing with writing for a topic you cannot bring yourself to care about.

Working for a PR company basically showed me that the sort of venting portrayed in that scene is actually quite cathartic (and sometimes necessary.) Definitely made it a lot easier to buckle down afterward and write several hundred words on a subject I couldn't even begin to care about.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Of course it also underlines how catastrophically they handled Will's progression as a character in the talent vacuum of season 6.

"no really guys the vice president guys no really guys come on he's the vice president guys come on"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

People do that though. I knew a guy who hated Harry Reid, got a good job offer, and was blowing the guy at every opportunity less than a month after he had been going on tirades about how awful he was.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Grand Fromage posted:

People do that though. I knew a guy who hated Harry Reid, got a good job offer, and was blowing the guy at every opportunity less than a month after he had been going on tirades about how awful he was.

That explains that dipshit that interned with Josh, but not Will. He ran around trying to figure out what Leo and Bartlet saw in him. He wasn't just towing the party line, he was trying to believe it himself.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I was rewatching the series and just got to this episode. Was surprised that this gem didn't seem to have been mentioned in the thread yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf8Vl0ORBaE

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Man forget about the actual debate stuff, the first part of this video rules, with the whole cutting-the-tie bit. What really elevates it to a whole other level is Bartlett smacking his wife's rear end right before he walks on stage. I'm telling you, that's the stuff that made this show great.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
For what it's worth, I found the second half of the debate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85dKvletfSo

I think there's a commercial break between those two clips, so that's all there is to the debate. Bartlett kicking Ritchie's rear end like it ain't no thing, and doing it so well even Ritchie cries uncle.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I think I ask this every time I watch Season 4 (and if not, I definitely think about it every time) but did they already know Sam was leaving at the beginning of it? They set up the Horton Wilder thing in episode 4--was the plan just to have him go out, sacrifice himself, and come back and then it just worked out that he didn't come back? Or did he want to leave after Season 3 and they convinced him to stick around for part of S4 to wrap things up?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

myron cope posted:

I think I ask this every time I watch Season 4 (and if not, I definitely think about it every time) but did they already know Sam was leaving at the beginning of it? They set up the Horton Wilder thing in episode 4--was the plan just to have him go out, sacrifice himself, and come back and then it just worked out that he didn't come back? Or did he want to leave after Season 3 and they convinced him to stick around for part of S4 to wrap things up?

Yeah, they knew Rob Lowe was leaving at the beginning of the fourth season. I've always assumed he was supposed to win until they went "poo poo, if Sam wins he's still supposed to be around Washington all the time, wouldn't we see him a lot?" Sorkin was pretty much losing his mind at that point; they should have just had him run for California lieutenant governor or something where he could have won and still been an offscreen character.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

Man forget about the actual debate stuff, the first part of this video rules, with the whole cutting-the-tie bit. What really elevates it to a whole other level is Bartlett smacking his wife's rear end right before he walks on stage. I'm telling you, that's the stuff that made this show great.

Something I never noticed until just now is just HOW HIGH he raises his hand before he smacks Abby on the rear end. Like he was preceding it with a high five from God.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I really like Kate Harper :3:

Making my way through season 6 on the first rewatch of the series now, not as bad as I was expecting. I think to pick up an episode in season 5 / 6 wouldn't be as good as picking up one of the others, but watching them all back to back in order is still good for me.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
She's a lot more likeable once she ditches those bangs.

I like that they hooked her up with Will, too. That seemed appropriate.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The scene at some ball where they agree to not talk and just stand there taking turns eyeing each other to the tune of "Take Five" is awesome.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

withak posted:

The scene at some ball where they agree to not talk and just stand there taking turns eyeing each other to the tune of "Take Five" is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpSYSfD4ZqU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Slashrat posted:

I was rewatching the series and just got to this episode. Was surprised that this gem didn't seem to have been mentioned in the thread yet

I think it's been mentioned a few times in passing,but thanks for the link :)

Every scene with Babish in is a delight.

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
Almost every side character in this series is delightful, and this is certainly true of Oliver Babish. Platt did a very good job in his role.

edit: "Okay, you know what, don't make fun of the big hammer. :colbert:"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Khablam posted:

I think it's been mentioned a few times in passing,but thanks for the link :)

Every scene with Babish in is a delight.

There's a scene where Babish is sitting on the edge of his desk and there's a tape recorder that won't stop recording, and then Bartlet comes in and starts reeling off about the whole MS thing, and Babish just stares...then picks up the gavel and smashes the crap out of the tape recorder.

For some reason it just makes me giggle every time.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Alter Ego posted:

There's a scene where Babish is sitting on the edge of his desk and there's a tape recorder that won't stop recording, and then Bartlet comes in and starts reeling off about the whole MS thing, and Babish just stares...then picks up the gavel and smashes the crap out of the tape recorder.

For some reason it just makes me giggle every time.

Yep, it's awesome! See a couple posts up :)

Slashrat posted:

Also yeah I really dig Kate Harper and Will... but I don't know why. They just seemed to work, in the most bizarre fashion.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

El Grillo posted:

Also yeah I really dig Kate Harper and Will... but I don't know why. They just seemed to work, in the most bizarre fashion.

I have a big thing for Kate Harper, but remain rather uninterested in Mary McCormack in other roles.

I think it's a fantastic accolade for the actor to be able to create a fanciable character in this way. I found their relationship oddly touching in some ways, and I don't exactly know why.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

I think there's something almost magical about the way that was shot. The spinning camera close to the actors keeps the focus on them, but the size of the room turns into some kind of surreal alien experience, which I think is what it is for a lot of the characters there.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I started reading this thread a while ago and it goaded me into binging through S1-4 for the first time. Now I'm about to start S5 and I'm a bit wary- I quit the thread to avoid spoilers but I read numerous comments about how 5 is the worst season. Is there anything to actively avoid? Is there a list of good episodes and others to discard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

burnsep posted:

I started reading this thread a while ago and it goaded me into binging through S1-4 for the first time. Now I'm about to start S5 and I'm a bit wary- I quit the thread to avoid spoilers but I read numerous comments about how 5 is the worst season. Is there anything to actively avoid? Is there a list of good episodes and others to discard?

For your first time, watch them all, then decide what you want to skip in later viewings...

• Locked thread