Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Laser Spider posted:

1.3 is probably going to have the mod API. Jeb has expressed interest in wanting to get that out soon.

So basically, when it's done.

Coming back in after a bit of time away, but how many people are working on this game right now? I mean, I was under the impression a few months ago that it would logically be a hired group of programmers and artists, considering its history as a fun, interesting, endless game. But is it just Jeb at this point? And maybe a few other guys? On this whole thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Okan170 posted:

Coming back in after a bit of time away, but how many people are working on this game right now? I mean, I was under the impression a few months ago that it would logically be a hired group of programmers and artists, considering its history as a fun, interesting, endless game. But is it just Jeb at this point? And maybe a few other guys? On this whole thing?

After Jeb was hired it was Notch and Jeb up until 1.0 release, then Notch moved on and it was just Jeb until 1.2 came out, then for 1.3 the Bukkit team have joined in helping get the API implemented and I think there's now another guy working on AI and some other stuff as well.

The development team is ridiculously small for a game of this stature and profit.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

MikeJF posted:

After Jeb was hired it was Notch and Jeb up until 1.0 release, then Notch moved on and it was just Jeb until 1.2 came out, then for 1.3 the Bukkit team have joined in helping get the API implemented and I think there's now another guy working on AI and some other stuff as well.

The development team is ridiculously small for a game of this stature and profit.

See it this way: the team is now 600% bigger than for most of the game's earlier development time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I always imagined that with the sudden, dramatic success of Minecraft in 2009/2010, that Notch and co. would reinvest the millions into the game, because really, what else do you do with that kind of profit? How much money is it taking to maintain the servers for the foreseeable future?

I'm not sure what I was expecting but maybe I just don't have any concept of cost for this kind of venture. Or Notch is just buying lots of pizza.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Warmachine posted:

I always imagined that with the sudden, dramatic success of Minecraft in 2009/2010, that Notch and co. would reinvest the millions into the game, because really, what else do you do with that kind of profit? How much money is it taking to maintain the servers for the foreseeable future?

I'm not sure what I was expecting but maybe I just don't have any concept of cost for this kind of venture. Or Notch is just buying lots of pizza.

When you look at the number of copies Minecraft has sold, combined with Mojang's small size, combined with the fact that all money basically goes straight to Notch (he's not a salaried employee, he is the company), it's not hard to imagine that he's richer than Miyamoto, and way richer than someone like Tim Schafer. And probably has more straight-up cash than Gabe Newell, because Valve must have tons of capital tied up in Steam and dota2 / hl3 development. Think about that. Thiiiink about that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

When you look at the number of copies Minecraft has sold, combined with Mojang's small size, combined with the fact that all money basically goes straight to Notch (he's not a salaried employee, he is the company), it's not hard to imagine that he's richer than Miyamoto, and way richer than someone like Tim Schafer. And probably has more straight-up cash than Gabe Newell, because Valve must have tons of capital tied up in Steam and dota2 / hl3 development. Think about that. Thiiiink about that.

That's just capitalia jealousy.

There's really no need to think about how a guy in sweden might be richer than you. It'd be about as silly as being upset about Angry Birds selling millions.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Mordaedil posted:

That's just capitalia jealousy.

There's really no need to think about how a guy in sweden might be richer than you. It'd be about as silly as being upset about Angry Birds selling millions.

Are you stoned? Did you read my post at all? I'm only complaining that he's probably wealthier than Miyamoto, Tim Schafer, et al. Why would I be angry about him being richer then me??

edit:
You're probably right... I was just thinking that Gaben has a huge (and supremely skilled, therefore demanding a high salary) staff, a huge building, and services that need constant capital, whereas Notch literally has to pay maybe 6 people and the cost of the minecraft login server.
vvv

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 23, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Polo-Rican posted:

And probably has more straight-up cash than Gabe Newell, because Valve must have tons of capital tied up in Steam and dota2 / hl3 development.

Gabe Newell is a straight up billionaire. There's no way he doesn't have more than Notch's net worth sitting in a bank account somewhere. His knife collection probably costs more than Notch has made in his life.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
If anything it is disappointing that Notch doesn't reinvest more of his wealth made from Minecraft back into the game so that it becomes better and draws in more of a crowd.. instead of, you know, just having limited version of the Beta ported to various platforms, but why do that when a Beta version of the game makes 20 Million dollars in less than a week.

--

Anyway, that block I thought was stairs, but couldn't be because it had too many steps? Jeb confirmed that he has redone the model for stairs. Wish he would post a better view of them.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Well keep in mind there are lots of other things he's invested his money into, like Scrolls and his new space game. It hasn't all gone back into Minecraft, but fat jokes notwithstanding it hasn't just gone into Notch's pizza fund either.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Enzer posted:

If anything it is disappointing that Notch doesn't reinvest more of his wealth made from Minecraft back into the game so that it becomes better and draws in more of a crowd.. instead of, you know, just having limited version of the Beta ported to various platforms, but why do that when a Beta version of the game makes 20 Million dollars in less than a week.

This frustrates me the most. I was a Minecraft early adopter, dicked around with the beta and forgot I even owned it for a couple years. Now, coming back, the PC game is amazing, the 360 port looks sharp, and Pocket Edition... runs... but there isn't much game there. And how much longer would the 360 game have had to sit in development to be current? To me, it screams greedy.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Well keep in mind there are lots of other things he's invested his money into, like Scrolls and his new space game. It hasn't all gone back into Minecraft, but fat jokes notwithstanding it hasn't just gone into Notch's pizza fund either.

He's also trying to set Mojang up as an indie game distributer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NINbuntu 64 posted:

He's also trying to set Mojang up as an indie game distributer.

If I were in a position to be producing an indie game and needing a distributor I'd be staying the gently caress away from their level of professionalism.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

MikeJF posted:

If I were in a position to be producing an indie game and needing a distributor I'd be staying the gently caress away from their level of professionalism.

True, but you have to admit that the name recognition is tempting. Some really hard-up developers may bite the professionalism bullet just to get their names out their on the coattails of Mojang (unfortunately).

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Enzer posted:

The village in the upper left looks a bit off as well, but I can't put my finger on it. There seems to be a stair like block sitting on a flat roof, but it has way too many steps.

I don't think that's actually ON the roof in question, I think it's behind it and sticking up above it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Vib Rib posted:

But he invested virtually nothing beside salaries into the project back. With that much money, he could've made it to an all-star game, no questions. If I'm not mistaken, the game was rewritten twice independently but the original still stays in the lovely original form and in Java which many people have objections to. He could've erased any and all problems that are inherent to the way it is coded and while at it, programmed some mechanics and systems better from the start (lightning, local server, etc.) But this is beating a dead horse.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

MikeJF posted:

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
:10bux::10bux::10bux: :10bux:

:10bux: :10bux::10bux:

:10bux:

But yeah I'm also pretty disappointed that Notch and Mojang didn't even put... what, 2% of their profits back into Minecraft development? One percent? Half of a percent? What the hell kind of business model is that? And even if they thought Minecraft didn't "need it", it would be a nice gesture to the people who made it possible by buying the game. All they did was fix a few bugs, port over mod features, and add a terrible boss and lovely ending dimension.

Oh well, at least we'll be getting some sort of API this year.

Locus fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 23, 2012

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Hmm, Jeb's confirmed at least one new block, wont say what it is (its probably the red speckled block, but the lumpy clay looking block still has me curious), we'll have to wait till Thursday, also Minecraft PC is about a days worth of sales away from 6 million sales. :psyduck:

So far 1.3 seems to be:
-API
-SSP/SMP code merge
-Cocoa Pods growing off Jungle trees
-Some kind of trade interaction with Testificates/Testificate improvements
-Writable books
-At least one new block with hinted blocks being a red speckled block and something that looks like lumpy clay
-New stairs that are "smaller and brighter:
-Single player commands
-"Bonus Chest" option for SSP
-Four colors of wooden half slabs
-"Large Biome" types

And probably a bunch of other small poo poo I may have missed, not bad and understandable for the wait because of the first two items.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 23, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
edit: nevermind

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Warmachine posted:

They're not business people, at all. Notch wears a loving fedora for chrissakes. He's THAT guy. Its been stated numerous times that he doesn't even really perceive the feedback that people give to make the game better. Someone mentioned that he approaches it like a coding sandbox more than anything else.

I hate to be harsh, but with the means and someone that was actually involved in creating a better custom experience, we'd have a much more robust game right now that didn't rely on a myriad number of home devs and enthusiasts, working for free, to deliver that robustness.

I mean, look at mods like Buildcraft, Technic, millenaire and the like. The people at home working off-hours have delivered objective based gameplay, an ocean of art assets, complete conversion mods that fundamentally change the game, features that SHOULD have been right in the box....the list goes on and on.

What has mojang made in the last 2 years? A loving piston.

Edit: I think potions could be added to that list. And The End.

That's embarrassing.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 23, 2012

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Wasn't the piston a fan mod that they adopted in?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Wasn't the piston a fan mod that they adopted in?

Yep, it was. They modified it so it didn't toss things into the air though, 'cause that didn't fit with the theme of the game.

The game being in Java and easily modifiable is the only thing that's saved it.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

The game being in Java and easily modifiable is the only thing that's saved it.

It also made Notch the laziest developer I've ever known. I guess he really is that guy with his fedora and his embarrassing twitter shenanigans, anyone with a tiny bit of business sense would see a half-finished product making a ridiculous amount of money, and invest in it rather than taking vacations and hiring <10 staff.

Hell, with the money Minecraft is still making years after originally went on sale, he could easily afford a multi-million dollar studio with a full development team. Instead, he's got one guy and a small team of home mod developers, and an office?

I understand that the water and physics work as they are now, but I can't help feeling that that's just because we've gotten used to it. Unless I'm mistaken, the way water flows and disappears is just because Notch said it was too difficult to make it more realistic and "this will do." That's not how you make a multi-million dollar best-selling game! It's no longer a quirky little indie title made by a guy at home, so they shouldn't continue to treat it like one.

Than again, it's still making a fucktonne of money so all we can do is :psyduck: while it continues to sell thousands per day.

e: Minecraft would make an excellent sitcom, 2 guys in an office that spend as little time as possible coding but inexplicably making millions, finding new and inventive ways to blow wads of cash before the monthly update is due.

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 23, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Enzer posted:

-At least one new block with hinted blocks being a red speckled block and something that looks like lumpy clay

Unless someone can explicitly say otherwise, I'm pretty sure the lumpy clay thing you're talking about is a cacao pod. You'll harvest them out of trees and them get the beans from them, rather than them just disappearing and dropping beans like a tree pinata.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Jamesman posted:

Unless someone can explicitly say otherwise, I'm pretty sure the lumpy clay thing you're talking about is a cacao pod. You'll harvest them out of trees and them get the beans from them, rather than them just disappearing and dropping beans like a tree pinata.

No, it's the road material in this image:

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
I like the water physics because it doesn't flood the world and you know it's limitations. :shobon:

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Water behavior will probably never change since if it did then a lot of buildings that rely on flowing water to look pretty would probably get messed up. I have heard that Notch doesn't want to change things if they would cause a problem like this, but who knows if he still cares about that these days.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

tinaun posted:

No, it's the road material in this image:

Honestly the most interesting part of this image to meis the village that seems to have spawned in the jungle. Does that happen typically?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That's just gravel for the road.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
So whatever happened to those Goon made Minecrafty type games? I haven't seen updates in a while.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Disappointing Pie posted:

So whatever happened to those Goon made Minecrafty type games? I haven't seen updates in a while.

Pizza budget cut into development.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

That's just gravel for the road.

I thought it was gravel at first, too. If you zoom in on it, though, the texture seems to be a lot smoother than gravel. It's like small stones embedded into a smoother stone.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Or maybe it's just a retexture, since it's in a spot where gravel would be otherwise.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
If I remember correctly, there was talk a while back about being able to bake gravel in furnaces for... some reason. Maybe this is the result, a gravity-ignorant "gravel path" block

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
Hey, its been a while since I've played minecraft. Do you know if there's any chance that the multiplayer stuff from the 360 version might make it over to the PC version? It'd be really cool to be able to seamlessly hop into people's singleplayer worlds or join random public games without dealing with the whole IP address / server browser / dedicated servers thing. The 360's multiplayer seems like exactly what I want out of Minecraft, but I don't own any consoles. I just really like the idea of everyone having a small, persistent world they can invite friends to instead of the massive 30-player megaconstruction shitfests you get on the PC.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

LeschNyhan posted:

Go down to the east end of the peninsula, on the beach, as far east as you can go. You may have to go to the north-east corner of the beach to make sure you hit it, because I just clipped the edge of it on my way down. As far as I can tell it doesn't connect with the surface ravine, but I haven't fully explored it in that direction.

Roughly where are you digging now? I might be able to give you better directions from there.

I was trying to cut in from the ravine. I eventually broke into a pretty scattered cave system and found A mineshaft, but I'm not sure if it's the same one. By the time I found it, I was out into the ocean and at bedrock level. I haven't started exploring it yet because now I'm trying to figure out how to get back and forth from this point.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Coach Sport posted:

Hey, its been a while since I've played minecraft. Do you know if there's any chance that the multiplayer stuff from the 360 version might make it over to the PC version? It'd be really cool to be able to seamlessly hop into people's singleplayer worlds or join random public games without dealing with the whole IP address / server browser / dedicated servers thing. The 360's multiplayer seems like exactly what I want out of Minecraft, but I don't own any consoles. I just really like the idea of everyone having a small, persistent world they can invite friends to instead of the massive 30-player megaconstruction shitfests you get on the PC.

The latest snapshots seem to be leading to that sort of functionality, with the single player simply being a local server you connect to and having all the same features and carrying over some bugs from multiplayer. It might take a few months, but it's most likely gonna happen.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Fuego Fish posted:

If I remember correctly, there was talk a while back about being able to bake gravel in furnaces for... some reason. Maybe this is the result, a gravity-ignorant "gravel path" block

An asphalt block that you travel faster on, perhaps?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

HauntedRobot posted:

An asphalt block that you travel faster on, perhaps?

because that's never gone wrong before :V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Frobbe posted:

because that's never gone wrong before :V

Are you talking about infiniminer?