Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JetsGuy posted:

I actually liked Adria as a character v:shobon:v

It didn't hurt that adult Adria was flippin' gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm nearing the end of season 3 in my Atlantis rewatch and killing of Beckett was probably one of the dumbest things to do.

Did the writers ever explain exactly why they did it?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

MrBling posted:

I'm nearing the end of season 3 in my Atlantis rewatch and killing of Beckett was probably one of the dumbest things to do.

Did the writers ever explain exactly why they did it?

The story I heard was that someone high up (maybe even on SciFi) wanted to try and boost ratings by doing something drastic. From what I remember, Paul McGillion was actually very upset, and didn't want to see Carson go...

...well, seeing as this is a rewatch, you know. ;)

EDIT:
Wasn't there a big web-campaign like there was for Shanks to bring him back?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So uh, Stargate alum in this new Canadian show:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_%28TV_series%29

Not showing in the US at all though.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I haven't seen it, but Jewel Staite is apparently in a show about Canadian actors in LA, portraying a woman whose biggest claim to fame is a brief stint on a canceled science fiction show.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

GreenNight posted:

My god, that sounds amazingly terrible, Canadian Time Cops from the future hunting terrorists in 2012? I MUST WATCH IT

Jewel Staite's show is called The LA Complex and its apparently been cancelled already :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Dark One posted:

I haven't seen it, but Jewel Staite is apparently in a show about Canadian actors in LA, portraying a woman whose biggest claim to fame is a brief stint on a canceled science fiction show.

I haven't seen it either but she pimps it all the time on Twitter. Also Mike Shanks has to be a huge alcoholic. Some of his tweets are amazing.

spronk posted:

My god, that sounds amazingly terrible, Canadian Time Cops from the future hunting terrorists in 2012? I MUST WATCH IT

I was thinking about making a thread for it before next Sunday's premier.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Dark One posted:

Heh, shes got two of those!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

spronk posted:

Jewel Staite's show is called The LA Complex and its apparently been cancelled already :(

Are you sure? Wikipedia is showing that it was renewed for a second season a few months ago - unless the CW has decided it's not going to show the second season so it's just renewed in Canada...

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Zaroff posted:

Are you sure? Wikipedia is showing that it was renewed for a second season a few months ago - unless the CW has decided it's not going to show the second season so it's just renewed in Canada...

Its not official or anything yet but CW announced its renewals last week and that show wasn't on the list and its not on their 2013 schedule. But you are right, the second season has already started filming in Canada for one of their networks, so there will be a second season just maybe not available to US viewers.

And in other bad news Amanda Tapping's Sanctuary show got cancelled. Couldn't watch it past halfway through season 1, did it get a lot better? Sam Carter was one of my favorite SG1 characters, but I just hated Sanctuary for some reason.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Season 1 was terrible, but yes it did get better. Season 4 was pretty drat good.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

Oh so its the 2010's version of the 1990's Time Trax then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Trax

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Heh, shes got twothree of those!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Cases :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That just wasn't picked up so it's different!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I loved Time Trax. I hope it can be as good.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So long as we're talking about Jewel Staite, I gotta say the dynamic between her and McKay was really very well done. Their relationship didn't feel forced or shoehorned in, which happens a lot in sitcoms.

I guess my point is that it was actually believable, which was nice.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

JetsGuy posted:

So long as we're talking about Jewel Staite, I gotta say the dynamic between her and McKay was really very well done. Their relationship didn't feel forced or shoehorned in, which happens a lot in sitcoms.

I guess my point is that it was actually believable, which was nice.

I agree, and I think that's a huge part of why the magic Altzheimer's episode woked so well.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I agree, and I think that's a huge part of why the magic Altzheimer's episode woked so well.

That and Grace Under Pressure are probably my favorite episodes of the entire series.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I love Michael Shanks:

MichaelShanks: @JewelStaite what wine am i buying for the weekend? Its not a metaphor. Not a pun. What loving wine, Jewel?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Crossposting from the gif thread, I've made a couple of gifs from my SG-1 rewatch.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
I'm working my way through Stargate Atlantis for the first time, and I just got to the episode where Teyla sings.

...This only happens once, right?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

I'm working my way through Stargate Atlantis for the first time, and I just got to the episode where Teyla sings.

...This only happens once, right?

Yes, and that's the lowpoint of the series.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Yes, and that's the lowpoint of the series.

Well, that or exploding tumors. No you're right, it's probably Teyla singing.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
To be fair, the episode itself is quite good and the music is fairly good, it is just the fact that it is loving Teyla being a pivotal piece in the episode as per usual that ruins the entire show that bit.

EDIT: MY PEOPLE

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

eviljimmy posted:

To be fair, the episode itself is quite good and the music is fairly good, it is just the fact that it is loving Teyla being a pivotal piece in the episode as per usual that ruins the entire show that bit.

EDIT: MY PEOPLE

Yeah, let's not forget that the episode gave us the revelation that Kavanaugh has no friends (as he shouldn't). :colbert:

I'd still watch a show of nothing but Kavanaugh clones before watching S2 of SGU though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Crossposting from the gif thread, I've made a couple of gifs from my SG-1 rewatch.

I always loved it when the show used practical effects and I wish they had done so more often.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I always wondered what the scale of that model was, because the detail made it look pretty drat big.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's a really well done effect, some of the stuff like the pillars in front of the entry collapsing really move like they have weight to them.

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I always wondered what the scale of that model was, because the detail made it look pretty drat big.

I remember seeing a "making of" video back when it first aired. The model was about 5 feet tall from what I recall.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Steve Higginson posted:

I remember seeing a "making of" video back when it first aired. The model was about 5 feet tall from what I recall.

I think it's on the extras of season 6, IIRC.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

It's a really well done effect, some of the stuff like the pillars in front of the entry collapsing really move like they have weight to them.

One of the other well done effects is when they crash a cargo ship into a forest and filmed that with models as well.

Would it be possible to get a .gif of that too, or?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Todd has the best jokes.

It's also kind of funny how the guy that plays Todd was also that annoying Athosian right at the start of the show and like all the male wraiths from season 3 and up.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

MrBling posted:

Todd has the best jokes.

It's also kind of funny how the guy that plays Todd was also that annoying Athosian right at the start of the show and like all the male wraiths from season 3 and up.

I understand that your people traditionally seal agreements with a handshake. *raises hand, everyone pulls guns*

Hahahaha, just a little wraith humor.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

PriorMarcus posted:

One of the other well done effects is when they crash a cargo ship into a forest and filmed that with models as well.

Would it be possible to get a .gif of that too, or?

Here you go, hot off the presses, especially for you.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Here you go, hot off the presses, especially for you.

Awesome. Thank you. Unfortunately those are the only two I can think off, everything else I recall as being CGI.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
I found it funny that Todd is played by the serious guy from the early seasons who follows Tayla around....then later she becomes a Wraith queen and he does it again as Todd...

FAKE EDIT: Come inside. I'll show you your destiny... John Sheppard.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

eviljimmy posted:

FAKE EDIT: Come inside. I'll show you your destiny... John Sheppard.

"I was going to plant a series of viruses deep in the computer code to cause it to self destruct..."

"I was just gonna blow it up."

"....naturally."

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There's this other show called Saving Hope with Michael Shanks in it. Some hospital type of show. No idea where it's supposed to go, but right now he's laying there in a coma, having an out of body experience, seeing other comatose or dead people, and next episode he finds a way to talk to his girlfriend also working there. The first episode had a small moment of SG-1 Shanks, maybe that'll show up there, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
Re-watching SG:A for about the 7th time through. I'm on Letters from Pegasus now, but going to hopefully fit in Siege Parts I-III today. Also, I'm sure this has been said before, but I'm saying it anyways. Rodney and Sheppard carried that show. If MGM has any sense, they could make an entirely new low-budget SG series off of just those two roaming some distant galaxy arguing about naming things and such.

E: And Todd should be along for the ride as the necessary alien character.

Double E: I want to hit Teyla in the face with a lamp. He said, "IF THERE WAS TIME!"

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 9, 2012