Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DekeThornton posted:

My main issue with sparring isn't so much getting hit as it is I'm a bit vary of puncing too hard. I'm pretty much still a beginner and I think I might be a bit too worried about being that spastic newbie who just goes way too hard and ends up hurting people needlessly.

Ask people after a round how much harder they could have been hit and still been completely comfortable with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't pull my bodyshots, but I only go hard to the face if my opponent is tryin to take my head off for whatever reason (such as him being Russian).

Against weaker opponents I focus on defense and light counter shots because everything else is pointless for both of us.

DekeThornton posted:

My main issue with sparring isn't so much getting hit as it is I'm a bit vary of puncing too hard. I'm pretty much still a beginner and I think I might be a bit too worried about being that spastic newbie who just goes way too hard and ends up hurting people needlessly.

Even a beginner can gently caress up joints in BJJ, but I highly doubt you'll be able to seriously hurt anyone with your punches simply because your technique will suck too much. You can get a feel for how hard you're really punching by going to the body, but a typical spastic newbie throws lovely wild hooks that look much scarier than they are. Don't be that guy ofc, but there's nothing wrong with practicing getting snap on your punches and kicks if your opponent is willing to do the same.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Paul Pot posted:

I highly doubt you'll be able to seriously hurt anyone with your punches simply because your technique will suck

Uh, black eyes, broken, bloody noses, lovely low punches below the belt, everextending your arm and screwing up am elbow/shoulder. And that's just punches. MT sparring can get a lot worse when you throw knees and kicks in there. How about an over exaggerated knee that gets a rib or face too hard? Overpowered kicks to the head, or aimed poorly and connect with the knee or groin? You can definitely hurt others and yourself pretty badly if you arn't being careful in sparring.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Well, this is a weird situation I find myself in.

I've got 1.5 months of med research coming up. Meaning I'm not allowed any really strenuous activity--basically, nothing that causes sore muscles or tires me out. *light* exercise is fine, though. So weights are out. Sparring is out. Haha Muay Thai is out holy poo poo, which sucks, because I feel like punching and kicking things. I'm gonna check if I'm allowed a 30m run every day, but I really want to keep fighting in the mean time.

I'll probably end up hitting up my HEMA classes, skipping heavy warming up and not sparring, so just doing technique drilling and assisting in classes. How weird would it be to call up the local BJJ gym, which is quite on the level, and essentially go "Hey I'm a bitch, can I come roll very lightly for the next 2 months?" since they don't really know me that well. I figure I can spend the time I'm not exhausting myself working on actually getting some technique in, and I've been meaning to hit them up once a week again anyway. It'd mean taking it easy with warmups and probably skipping the free rolling, though.

Or does anyone know of some useful stuff I can be doing in the mean time?

It's like inverse hardening the gently caress up.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Rhaka posted:

Well, this is a weird situation I find myself in.

I've got 1.5 months of med research coming up. Meaning I'm not allowed any really strenuous activity--basically, nothing that causes sore muscles or tires me out. *light* exercise is fine, though. So weights are out. Sparring is out. Haha Muay Thai is out holy poo poo, which sucks, because I feel like punching and kicking things. I'm gonna check if I'm allowed a 30m run every day, but I really want to keep fighting in the mean time.

I'll probably end up hitting up my HEMA classes, skipping heavy warming up and not sparring, so just doing technique drilling and assisting in classes. How weird would it be to call up the local BJJ gym, which is quite on the level, and essentially go "Hey I'm a bitch, can I come roll very lightly for the next 2 months?" since they don't really know me that well. I figure I can spend the time I'm not exhausting myself working on actually getting some technique in, and I've been meaning to hit them up once a week again anyway. It'd mean taking it easy with warmups and probably skipping the free rolling, though.

Or does anyone know of some useful stuff I can be doing in the mean time?

It's like inverse hardening the gently caress up.

It wouldnt really be that weird at all, if the gym is good you can explain the situation to the coach and he will be fine with it, and when free rolling comes around see if you can find someone who doesnt mind doing reps instead of rolling

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I don't know if it's because I started grappling before sparring or if it's me or if it's general but I feel like striking sparring is harder mentally than rolling.

Granted I've had like four rounds of boxing but I don't remember being so up in my head early in bjj.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Well a lot of that is just the distance and fact that your opponent is going to want to avoid you punching him. Unlike grappling where you have contact from the start. Add in the fact that your first BJJ class you will be rolling compared to whatever your gyms wait time is for sparring.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Xguard86 posted:

I don't know if it's because I started grappling before sparring or if it's me or if it's general but I feel like striking sparring is harder mentally than rolling.

Granted I've had like four rounds of boxing but I don't remember being so up in my head early in bjj.

It is for a lot of people I've met. They can roll harder without fear as opposed to strike harder without fear. The hitting aspect kinda puts people off. My friend who started rolling recently laughed about bad the technique and feeling helpless (in a... safe way, you get it?) but never mentioned being scared or up in the head. People who start striking instead almost invariably tell about being scared and shell shocked after they first encounter someone who has more than 2 months of experience, in a good way often but still.

After your boxing rounds are from a dozen to 100 or 400 it's both the same, rolling or striking, though, very very likely.

I started the other way round, but rolling was never scary. Striking was and sometimes still is.

KidDynamite posted:

A lot of it from what I've seen is the people that tend to punch at the forehead or gloves are the ones afraid to get hit. Once you get over that fear you start punching at the target areas.

I guess there's a point in here as well, I was just laughing my rear end off how the Mexican coach explained the thing. "HIT THE FLY!"

Ligur fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 24, 2012

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Personally I feel as if there is a larger margin of error when grappling compared to striking sparring. I imagine, probably mistakenly, that I have more time to tap out if I begin to lose. It's as If I'm more in control. This is despite the fact that I've taken and given worse hits while rolling compared to striking, due to such things as mistakenly rolling into a knee from the pair beside you and similar mistakes.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
From my experience (purely personal, with people I know) people DO get more often injured while rolling than striking. Striking is just for some reason more scary, while rolling feels somehow safer for many - maybe not to me but others.

Again personally, I see a lot more potentian for nasty injuries from grappling. Striking usually leads to slight brain damage that reduces your brain operation by 0.001% from slight concussion, black eyes, cuts, bloody noses, ribs that are micro-fractured or just bruised, bruised shins. It hurts for sure but the damage is superficial, skin damage if you want to describe it.

But when things go wrong in grappling it's often joints that get hosed up. A pulled groin or dislocated shoulder doesn't heal as quickly as a displaced nose with torn ligament. And usually damage like that from striking will not stop you from training, actually. Grappling injuries more often do.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think it's a cultural thing - hand-to-hand combat involving striking, whether armed or not, is the image that we use to symbolize "a fight" - sometimes that image includes the combatants rolling around on the groud willy-nilly, but even then they are usually trying to hit each other.

Arm bars, leg bars, shoulder locks, chokes - these things have been mostly ignored in the common conception of fighting (although I think historical evidence proves that they have always been a part of fighting).

So when you think of striking, you associate it with the common understanding of fighting, and this triggers a heightened fight/flight sort of response. When you think of grappling, as a newcomer or layperson, you don't associate it with fighting so you don't get anxious.

With the widening popularity of MMA, I think grappling is becoming a bigger part of the cultural conception of fighting, so I think everyone's default responses to striking vs. grappling will even out in the long run.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_jy7WmvbPE Footbrawl!

WTF again?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Blocked in USA. The screencap looks really hilarious though.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheStampede posted:

Uh, black eyes, broken, bloody noses, lovely low punches below the belt, everextending your arm and screwing up am elbow/shoulder. And that's just punches. MT sparring can get a lot worse when you throw knees and kicks in there. How about an over exaggerated knee that gets a rib or face too hard? Overpowered kicks to the head, or aimed poorly and connect with the knee or groin? You can definitely hurt others and yourself pretty badly if you arn't being careful in sparring.

beginners that throw knees to the face and land overpowered headkicks? you either train at a scary place or missed the point I was making.

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

entris posted:

I think it's a cultural thing - hand-to-hand combat involving striking, whether armed or not, is the image that we use to symbolize "a fight" - sometimes that image includes the combatants rolling around on the groud willy-nilly, but even then they are usually trying to hit each other.

It's more than a cultural thing. Striking actually hurts, whereas grappling is mostly just a hard workout. It's fast and unpredictable, and getting hit hard in the head is disorienting in a way that nothing else really prepares you for.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Paul Pot posted:

beginners that throw knees to the face and land overpowered headkicks? you either train at a scary place or missed the point I was making.

Well, my point was that beginners do scarry things in general. For instance, we got a new guy last week. He's completly fresh to martial arts, but he's picking up the techniques. I went with him on his first sparring night, and I was surprised at how well he'd picked up body kicks. The thing he hadn't picked up though, was how hard to throw them in a 50% spar. He caught me with a really good one in the ribs, and i had to ask him to tone it down a bit. Nice kid, and he wasn't being a dick, just didn't understand that you don't always have to throw with enough force to take a head off.

Gix
May 18, 2008

Hail Eris.
Everything changes.
Keep me in flux.
I am the calm center of Chaos.
All hail Discordia.
The stats might have changed with BJJ becoming more popular, but the last time I saw a study, highest injury rates for martial arts in the USA were in Aikido, because of joint locks and rolling and the like. Most of the striking arts were fairly low on the list, except I think TKD, because jumping kicks mess people up.

I suppose that if everyone's at the same level, it's all good. But a messed up lock or a throw is going to hurt a lot more than a messed up strike (unless said strike also hits and eye or an ear or whatever.)

Be safe, kids.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

Yes striking is a lot more nerve racking. Before BJJ competitions I'm a little nervous but I don't get anything like the adrenaline dump I did for mma and boxing.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Looks fun (and hella dangerous) but I'd still prefer playing Bo-Taoshi. What other sport has 75 vs 75 players?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNVkXNdH2mA

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

In looking at boxing gloves, I've noticed that sites that cater to a wide variety of combat sports will carry both Thai style gloves and boxing gloves. I didn't know there were different styles of boxing gloves. They looked identical, so Im curious as to what the differences are.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
So apparently the Norwegian ADCC is now just three weeks away, and I've done all that binding stuff like signing on and ordering plane tickets, so now I need an injury to find and excuse not to go. Obviously more participants are going to sign up, but right now there's just three guys in the advanced division of my weight class, and in an imaginary world, that would make it not impossible that I'd pull it off by getting too lucky and being too weird, and it could result in actually qualifying for a real ADCC and losing to someone there. That would be hilarious, and all due to a lack of proper advertising.

Although on the real I'm going out in the first round of all my matches, watch.

E; Oh, and I've been doing a lot more jits instructing. I've only gotten really positive feedback, and that's pretty cool.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 25, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Strikers: I've got pain stiffness and some weakness in the back of my shoulder after boxing today. I actually think I strained something at bjj but I'm really feeling it now.

Am I punching wrong or is this just a weird one time thing? Do I need to worry?

sparred for the second time today. I feel like I'm a terrible spaz but everyone said it was actually very good for a second go around. Art least I didn't cry.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 26, 2012

mewse
May 2, 2006

Crying is manly, and tears let the leather from your opponent's glove slip off your skin more easily

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bohemian Nights posted:

So apparently the Norwegian ADCC is now just three weeks away, and I've done all that binding stuff like signing on and ordering plane tickets, so now I need an injury to find and excuse not to go. Obviously more participants are going to sign up, but right now there's just three guys in the advanced division of my weight class, and in an imaginary world, that would make it not impossible that I'd pull it off by getting too lucky and being too weird, and it could result in actually qualifying for a real ADCC and losing to someone there. That would be hilarious, and all due to a lack of proper advertising.

I just want to say, 'Good luck, we're all counting on you'.

Don't worry about losing at ADCC. Just qualifying would own.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Xguard86 posted:

Strikers: I've got pain stiffness and some weakness in the back of my shoulder after boxing today. I actually think I strained something at bjj but I'm really feeling it now.

sparred for the second time today. I feel like I'm a terrible spaz but everyone said it was actually very good for a second go around. Art least I didn't cry.

Were you holding pads/mitts? That can gently caress up your shoulders if you're not putting in enough resistance when someone's hitting them.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Illumination posted:

In looking at boxing gloves, I've noticed that sites that cater to a wide variety of combat sports will carry both Thai style gloves and boxing gloves. I didn't know there were different styles of boxing gloves. They looked identical, so Im curious as to what the differences are.

In theory Thai gloves are supposed to give less wrist support, making it easier to clinch. My Thai gloves (Boon) however offer a shitload of wrist support and I'd recommend Thai gloves for most people simply because they offer the best value for money.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Xguard86 posted:

That's not abnormal for punchers and you shouldn't worry IMO. Means you've been "putting your shoulders into it" which isn't exactly wrong! You haven't been punching that long have you? You can sort of overwork or hurt/inflame one of the long muscles in your back from throwing straights and rotating your body a bit awkward, just the one that goes from your shoulder towards the spine and downwards for a length... can't remember the name of the piece of slab for the life of it.

Known causes: not warming up enough and letting rip with a massive straight so you get those minor stress tears or whatchamacallit. Or just the muscle not being used to the stress of throwing long straights (and maybe grappling recently) or maybe missing a pad or the bag for a bit thus overreaching - but that happens to just about everyone from time to time.

(Yeah, I'm not a physician or anything but anyway this is my take.)

Solution: rest it up for a few days. When you get the hang of how hard you can punch at which point of a practice it'll hardly ever happen again unless you get unlucky. I've had what sounds like your shoulder issue, and so have some of my friends. It's never been a longterm issue for anyone.

Good to hear your sparring was cool, altough I agree with mewse that some crying helps and is manly.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Illumination posted:

In looking at boxing gloves, I've noticed that sites that cater to a wide variety of combat sports will carry both Thai style gloves and boxing gloves. I didn't know there were different styles of boxing gloves. They looked identical, so I'm curious as to what the differences are.

Thai gloves are meant to help block kicks along your forearms and hands, so they have more of a ridge down along the blade of the palm.

As boxing is a sport where punches are the only strikes, the differences in pad distribution and shape are a bigger deal and given closer attention. I'd say the number one factor when looking at gloves is what the padding material is. That determines how springing it is and how it'll hold up over time.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I've only been at it two months. Also I've been training to use more of my reach on my right straight, which fits what you guys are saying about not being used to the movement.

I went to a pool party after boxing and did some secret shoulder warmups in the water all night which has me feeling a ton better today. Good to know I'm not screwing myself up.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Thanks for the responses. I guess it makes sense that two very different sports would require different equipment

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is shadow boxing with dumbells ever a good idea?

What about for a warm up before lifting weights?

I swore I read there was a reason not to do it for the intent of a stronger puch and why boxers/mma/whatever guys don't do it. Or do they?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Christoff posted:

I swore I read there was a reason not to do it for the intent of a stronger puch and why boxers/mma/whatever guys don't do it. Or do they?

Lt. Shiny-sides is some sort of kinesiology researcher, and he recommends low rep high weight explosive lifting to improve speed. Correct form and speed is power.

Shadowboxing with light weights (like 2s) might help build up arm endurance, but I dunno what else. As long as you didn't do most of your shadowboxing that way.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
IMO helps build up endurance. A few years ago I used to simulate a few hundred of each punch (straight, hook, uppercut) with both arms every Sunday with weights, helped with stamina when striking a heavy bag, I noticed. Or then it was just a placebo effect, who knows. Just never ever actually throw a punch with a weight :) Just move the arm like you would in slo-mo.

It's also a good workout. A good workout is always nice.

Fun fact: simulate 200 jabs with a light weight. Then drop the weight and start shadow boxing for real. Or punch your friend in the face. Feels like your arm is made of loving lightning.

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

Ligur posted:

IMO helps build up endurance. A few years ago I used to simulate a few hundred of each punch (straight, hook, uppercut) with both arms every Sunday with weights, helped with stamina when striking a heavy bag, I noticed. Or then it was just a placebo effect, who knows. Just never ever actually throw a punch with a weight :) Just move the arm like you would in slo-mo.

It's also a good workout. A good workout is always nice.

Fun fact: simulate 200 jabs with a light weight. Then drop the weight and start shadow boxing for real. Or punch your friend in the face. Feels like your arm is made of loving lightning.

It's also a great reminder of how hard it is to keep your hands up when you're tired. Do 100 and try to bring your hands back to your face, they'll be cycling down towards the end. Just holding them up after doing it is a struggle.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Christoff posted:

Is shadow boxing with dumbells ever a good idea?

What about for a warm up before lifting weights?

I'm not a fan of it, as adding weight to your punches can have big effects on your punch mechanics, causing all sorts of weird patterns to emerge when you put the weights down. If you were dead set on it go as light as possible. I would use bag work/mitt work/shadow boxing to get my endurance up instead.

Check out Joe Defranco's agile 8 for warm up stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiA0-IatUrY

kimbo305 posted:

Lt. Shiny-sides is some sort of kinesiology researcher, and he recommends low rep high weight explosive lifting to improve speed. Correct form and speed is power.

While heavy loads can increase punching velocity (I think that is all I said, not necessarily the best way), where I'm sitting right now with my research is leading me to think the best way to increase punching force is to first develop force via traditional weight training and then transfer that over to to more velocity based stuff like throws. What I think may be best is single punches on a heavy bag with long rests. Focus on good technique and hard punches and let your body rest heaps so fatigue doesn't get involved. That should up your peak punching force which could result in high average punching forces. Although without proper resistance training you won't get nearly the same gains.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

While heavy loads can increase punching velocity (I think that is all I said, not necessarily the best way)

Ah right. What I meant by "recommend" was that if you were using weights to increase punching power, what would you do, which is I think what you said. Not what would you do overall if you wanted to increase punching power.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

This probably goes without saying, but if you use hand wraps, FOR GOD'S SAKE WASH YOUR HANDS IMMEDIATELY AFTER WORKING OUT.

The other day I was in a hurry to catch my bus to get to work and I wasn't able to wash my hands, and I ended up regretting it for the rest of the day. There seems to be something about a person's sweat, when it's mixed with the sweat of several other (dozens, probably more?) people, which if left to dry, creates this really thick layer of solidified sweat on your hands that takes a shitload of effort to get out.

It was absolutely disgusting how my hands smelled for most of the day. Ugh.

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

This probably goes without saying, but if you use hand wraps, FOR GOD'S SAKE WASH YOUR HANDS IMMEDIATELY AFTER WORKING OUT.

The other day I was in a hurry to catch my bus to get to work and I wasn't able to wash my hands, and I ended up regretting it for the rest of the day. There seems to be something about a person's sweat, when it's mixed with the sweat of several other (dozens, probably more?) people, which if left to dry, creates this really thick layer of solidified sweat on your hands that takes a shitload of effort to get out.

It was absolutely disgusting how my hands smelled for most of the day. Ugh.

Uhh you should probably wash your whole stank rear end body after working out.

Were you using gym gloves or something? That stink doesn't come out even if you wash straigh away. If you're just starting out and don't want to invest, buy some latex gloves to wear so you don't get that gross poo poo on your hands. My gym has dispensers around the place.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Can we talk about some basic kickboxing/boxing stuff? I'm coming up on over a year and a half off of training, and just starting kickboxing, and with all luck, BJJ with my surgeon's approval this tuesday.

Went to class and found my form for the most part was still alright. Combos were fine. However, I have some serious newbie problems again. First is, flinching, and covering up.

We did the flinching drill where you punch eachother in the forehead, and that helped. But I have this weird tendency to cover up after I throw a right straight. Like, I throw a jab, right straight, then immediately cover up, but not in a good way, as in I turn away. I sparred against some weirdo taekwondo guy (he had some stupid stance that even I got throw when I threw enough jabs in his face he turned back to traditional boxing) but even then I would cover up way too much.

Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010
You could always just move out of the way instead. That way you can see if they're looking to fire back after your right straight, and then next time you throw it you can slip/duck and follow up.

• Locked thread