Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Prepaid phones have to be active for 6 months as a prepaid phone before they can be moved onto a post paid account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Don Lapre posted:

Prepaid phones have to be active for 6 months as a prepaid phone before they can be moved onto a post paid account.

Thanks, you just saved me a headache and money. If I buy something like this:

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/mob/3025388599.html

can I dumb it down so that they don't have to pay for 3G data and he can keep his plan of just text&talk?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks, you just saved me a headache and money. If I buy something like this:

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/mob/3025388599.html

can I dumb it down so that they don't have to pay for 3G data and he can keep his plan of just text&talk?

If those phones require data then verizon will put him on the minimum data plan for the device.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

74% at the end of the day today.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Are there any Gingerbread (or ICS, but I doubt it) phones that aren't crap and aren't the size of a laptop? The girl is looking for something a bit smaller than the SGS3 or Gnex.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Pudgygiant posted:

Are there any Gingerbread (or ICS, but I doubt it) phones that aren't crap and aren't the size of a laptop? The girl is looking for something a bit smaller than the SGS3 or Gnex.
The Droid 4 has a smaller footprint by way of having a keyboard.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Pudgygiant posted:

Is the One S 4 inches or 4.3?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Incredible 4G should be out soon as well and it's a 4" handset.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

AppleCobbler posted:

I just ordered this 2250mah External Battery Case for my nexus. I'll do a trip report and how long it lasts and how bulky the drat thing becomes

Hey man, did your case come yet?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

waffle iron posted:

The Droid 4 has a smaller footprint by way of having a keyboard.
The Droid 4 has a miserable screen.

Droid Incredible 4G is the correct answer for a smaller Android on Verizon.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Personally, I'm waiting for the Razr HD/Fighter

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008
Maxx arrived today. I feel much better now. Now to impatiently wait for ICS.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Tedious_Bastard posted:

Hey man, did your case come yet?

Nah its coming from the distant land of China, probably by way of rowboat or some poo poo, so I'm not expecting it for another couple of weeks.

Apr 7, 2003

AppleCobbler posted:

Nah its coming from the distant land of China, probably by way of rowboat or some poo poo, so I'm not expecting it for another couple of weeks.

Take pictures and give us a write-up when you get it, I'm curious how it fits and what the battery life improvement is.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
I have a Verizon iPhone 4, and for a number of reasons I need a new phone number completely (a Google Voice # won't cut it, when I get a new cell # I will also have to get a new Google Voice # as well).

Can I change my number and keep the same device, or am I hosed and will I have to get a new phone? I can't "upgrade" til 4/13. :(

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I have a Verizon iPhone 4, and for a number of reasons I need a new phone number completely (a Google Voice # won't cut it, when I get a new cell # I will also have to get a new Google Voice # as well).

Can I change my number and keep the same device, or am I hosed and will I have to get a new phone? I can't "upgrade" til 4/13. :(

You just call and ask for a new number. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Any ideas on phones with a slide out keyboard? I am becoming a non-fan of the touch keyboard. Using swype on my droid x, it misspells everything.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Any ideas on phones with a slide out keyboard? I am becoming a non-fan of the touch keyboard. Using swype on my droid x, it misspells everything.

You can choose from the Droid 4, or the droid 4.

There is actually a Samsung and LG phone but they are both old poo poo.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mr.Trifecta posted:

The Droid X comes with a old version of Swype. The newer versions are greatly improved, unfortunately there's no way to get them without rooting. There are plenty of alternative keyboards you can install, though. I wouldn't judge all soft keyboards based on that crappy one. Generally speaking, hardware keyboards go unused unless you have a specific need.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The Droid X comes with a old version of Swype. The newer versions are greatly improved, unfortunately there's no way to get them without rooting. There are plenty of alternative keyboards you can install, though. I wouldn't judge all soft keyboards based on that crappy one. Generally speaking, hardware keyboards go unused unless you have a specific need.

What other phones with better keyboards would you recommend?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mr.Trifecta posted:

What other phones with better keyboards would you recommend?
You can install others on your current phone, you don't need to buy a new phone just for that. The app thread can probably give you suggestions. You should be able to run just about any keyboard except the current version of Swype on your X. Most Android devices should work the same way. The iPhone's keyboard is very nice as well.

Like Don Lapre said, the Droid 4 is the only current Verizon device with a hardware keyboard, and it has a terrible screen and is running an old operating system.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

On another unrelated note, been trying to get my verizon bill down. Talked with a verizon rep online and my company does have a verizon employee program. They said I could register my line and I get some 8% off my bill. If I register my line, does my contract renew? Right now it is up.

Mr.Trifecta fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 23, 2012

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Try out SwiftKey X Keyboard as an alternative keyboard. I miss that app every time I have to type something on my iPhone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mr.Trifecta posted:

On another unrelated note, been trying to get my verizon bill down. Talked with a verizon rep online and my company does have a verizon employee program. They said I could register my line and I get some 8% off my bill. If I register my line, does my contract renew? Right now it is up.

No, your contract does not renew.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Galler posted:

Try out SwiftKey X Keyboard as an alternative keyboard. I miss that app every time I have to type something on my iPhone.

I have that on my GNex and HP Touchpad, it's my absolute favorite keyboard app.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Like Don Lapre said, the Droid 4 is the only current Verizon device with a hardware keyboard, and it has a terrible screen and is running an old operating system.

I guess you mean that it's not on ICS by that? Because it's on the newest version of Gingerbread. (And saying it's "old" is kinda disingenuous when, what, all of one handset in the US is on ICS? There's a CM9 port, too.)

Apr 7, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

I guess you mean that it's not on ICS by that? Because it's on the newest version of Gingerbread. (And saying it's "old" is kinda disingenuous when, what, all of one handset in the US is on ICS? There's a CM9 port, too.)

A) If the user has to gently caress with rooting/loading a ROM/doing poo poo beyond having an update pushed to them automatically, it doesn't exist.

B) Gingerbread is two major versions behind by now. If that doesn't meet your definition of old, what does?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Tedious_Bastard posted:

A) If the user has to gently caress with rooting/loading a ROM/doing poo poo beyond having an update pushed to them automatically, it doesn't exist.

B) Gingerbread is two major versions behind by now. If that doesn't meet your definition of old, what does?

For phones, its only 1.

Honeycomb was never put on any phones, nor was it ever intended to.

Apr 7, 2003

Mighty Horse posted:

For phones, its only 1.

Honeycomb was never put on any phones, nor was it ever intended to.

2.3 -> 4.0 is still two major versions even if 3.x were only intended to run on smart refrigerators.

(You say that like being even one major version behind is acceptable.)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

n-1 is perfectly acceptable practice, and is well established across a great number of industries.

Calling it n-2 because you want to make it sound worse doesn't make it true. If you're talking about phones, GB is n-1.

Apr 7, 2003

I'm not making it sound any worse than it already is, releasing a flagship phone with an OS from 2010 that is two major versions behind doesn't need embellishment.

If you think it's acceptable to release a carrier flagship phone in February of 2012 with software released in 2010, you are the ideal customer and I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn if you're interested.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

There's several phones running Ice Cream Sandwich in the US now.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Tedious_Bastard posted:

2.3 -> 4.0 is still two major versions even if 3.x were only intended to run on smart refrigerators.

(You say that like being even one major version behind is acceptable.)

Im not saying its acceptable, but you can't count the current version as one.

If its on 2.3 now, the only place to go is 4. Thats 1 behind.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
I noticed that Verizon is finally going to enable Global Roaming on the Droid Razr Maxx, Droid 4, HTZ Rezoud, and Droid Razr via a software update.

Do any of our Verizon insiders have any idear on when that could happen?

I tried getting a global loaner shipped to me from Verizon for a trip starting June 5th, but they sent over a dogshit WinMo HTC Imagio. Apparently next up is a Blackberry Tour which I've used abroad without problems, but I'd love to just use my Droid 4.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Jake Gittes posted:

I noticed that Verizon is finally going to enable Global Roaming on the Droid Razr Maxx, Droid 4, HTZ Rezoud, and Droid Razr via a software update.

Do any of our Verizon insiders have any idear on when that could happen?

I tried getting a global loaner shipped to me from Verizon for a trip starting June 5th, but they sent over a dogshit WinMo HTC Imagio. Apparently next up is a Blackberry Tour which I've used abroad without problems, but I'd love to just use my Droid 4.

I'm not an insider, but the latest leaked Razr ICS builds have shown the global roaming menu so it seems likely to be included in the ICS ROMs of any of those phones.

However, the Droid 4 isn't slated for ICS until Q3. So unless they unlock it early, you might be waiting a bit.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tedious_Bastard posted:

Folks have already pointed out that Gingerbread is only one major version behind in phone land, regardless of the actual number scheme. And from a technical perspective, given Honeycomb's half-finished somewhat experimental nature, that's a fair assessment.

Also, in Motorola's defense, had Honeycomb, which was released in February 2011 (or even 3.2, released in July 2011) actually been released for phones, I'm certain the Droid 4 would've shipped with it.

Tedious_Bastard posted:

I'm not making it sound any worse than it already is, releasing a flagship phone with an OS from 2010 that is two major versions behind doesn't need embellishment.
This would be correct if what you were saying is actually true, but it isn't.

The Droid 4 shipped with Android 2.3.5, which came out in late July 2011, not 2010. While perhaps the user-visible portions haven't altered significantly in that time, 2.3.5 contains a slew of bug fixes, security updates, and other "polish" that happened during the time of the parallel development of the Gingerbread and Honeycomb trees. It was the most usefully-recent version of Android (2.3.6 and 2.3.7 contained Nexus S specific fixes) throughout much of the device's development until the final three months. And although the Galaxy Nexus did ship with ICS in November (at least, internationally) some folks would claim it was far from ready for prime time.

Here's the short of it: There's no good that could come from releasing a non-Nexus phone in February 2012.

At that time, ICS had been on the market for just over two months, and the source code in the hands of third-party manufacturers (or at least the public) a little longer than that. With devices out, it was clear what the future of Android was and so folks would be disappointed by another GB device. However, at the same time, it's pretty clear that ICS was not ready for prime time even on Nexus devices until rather recently. It's also pretty clear that ICS was a huge change, perhaps too huge of a change, that adapting it to devices is painful all around. OEMs are having difficulty with it, the hacking community (CM) is having difficulty with it, hell, even Google is having troubles.

The whole thing was a poo poo show. In the end, no, how things unfolded wasn't really acceptable. But while we can blame Motorola for a lot of things, the only thing that's squarely their fault here is that they released a new phone at a bad time.

Google needs to not handle future Android updates the way they handled ICS. Updates need to be incremental, need to work on all types of hardware and not break massively on devices that don't fit the common feature set of Nexus hardware (i.e., hardware with external SD cards), not gratuitously break established APIs, and not introduce radical, ambiguous UI changes that leave both application developers and hardware manufacturers greatly confused.

Once they can get back on that cycle, then we can go back to blaming third-party manufacturers and carriers from hilariously delaying otherwise trivial software updates.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 25, 2012

Apr 7, 2003

If you're going to date software by minor patch releases, I guess Windows XP is only three or four years old.

Obfuscating the issue to make the poo poo show that is Android version fragmentation seem better than it is does the "community" no good at all. There is no excuse for the Droid 4 to not be on ICS by now.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I can't believe I'm entering this stupid argument, but

To use your own analogy, you wouldn't say Windows XP was 4 major revisions of Windows ago because you counted the Server releases. If someone has a desktop computer with Windows XP, that computer has a version of Windows which is 2 major revisions behind the current release, because you only count releases which are packaged for desktop use.

The Droid 4 shipped with software that was ONE major revision behind, because you only count releases which are packaged for phone use.

And no, you don't "date software by patch release", but the fact is Android 4.0 was still quite new when the Droid 4 was released. It's not like when Windows 7 came out the computers with Windows Vista were yanked from the shelves. They were still sold, sometimes with a coupon for an upgrade. Hey guess what, the Droid 4 is going to get an upgrade. So is the RAZR and the RAZR MAXX.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rastor posted:

The Droid 4 shipped with software that was ONE major revision behind, because you only count releases which are packaged for phone use.

And no, you don't "date software by patch release", but the fact is Android 4.0 was still quite new when the Droid 4 was released. It's not like when Windows 7 came out the computers with Windows Vista were yanked from the shelves. They were still sold, sometimes with a coupon for an upgrade. Hey guess what, the Droid 4 is going to get an upgrade. So is the RAZR and the RAZR MAXX.

Ice Cream Sandwich was 4 months old when the Droid 4 came out. And now its 7 months old and there is still no update. When the droid 4 came out in February Ice Cream Sandwich was already a 3rd of the way through its life cycle before the next version of android will probably come out. Now its over half way through its life cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up

This is the Verizon Wireless Megathread, stop derailing with Android Fragmentation Bullshit. Go to XDA or even THE ANDROID THREAD.

gently caress.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread