Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Just got an update yesterday, last one was 6-8 weeks ago. Apparently it's out of beta now though? Still needs more features.
So nothing for two months except an update that removed the Beta tag and doubled the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I dunno about the price, I bought it ages ago for less than 2 bucks.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.

LastInLine posted:

Once upon an eon,
Thanks for the reply. I was perusing bTunes just now while doing some studying and it shut down on me again. Time to move on I guess.

What music players to you recommend? The stock one on my phone is sort of rubbish (which I didn't expect from Sony given their Walkman pedigree). Also I'm not rooted if that makes a difference.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Palpatine MD posted:

Thanks for the reply. I was perusing bTunes just now while doing some studying and it shut down on me again. Time to move on I guess.

What music players to you recommend? The stock one on my phone is sort of rubbish (which I didn't expect from Sony given their Walkman pedigree). Also I'm not rooted if that makes a difference.
PowerAmp and UberMusic are highly regarded depending on the features you're looking for.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The stock one is likely just the stock Android player. Sony's Walkman pedigree should shine in the DAC if it shines anywhere.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

PowerAmp and UberMusic are highly regarded depending on the features you're looking for.

Although you might want to stay away from UberMusic if you want to avoid another abandonware situation.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Penguissimo posted:

Although you might want to stay away from UberMusic if you want to avoid another abandonware situation.

Yeah, Ubermusic is from the same guy as LauncherPro.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

thisdude23 posted:

I currently use JuiceDefender free on my Nexus S 4G but it's not really working the way it did when I had my Evo 4G. I'm not sure if it's because it's not compatible with ICS or what though. With that said, should I purchase the Ultimate program or look into a different one? Is there anything out there that's better? I just want something that will work well on my phone. Thanks.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Is there anything that can stream my TV tuner from my PC other than Orb? They seem to update way too infrequently for me to spend $10 on (in addition to the fact that I already spent $10 in the iOS store).

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Kazy posted:

Is there anything that can stream my TV tuner from my PC other than Orb? They seem to update way too infrequently for me to spend $10 on (in addition to the fact that I already spent $10 in the iOS store).

Plex would do it. You run a server at home and serve your media out.

It's $.99 right now on the Amazon App Store.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BoyBlunder posted:

Plex would do it. You run a server at home and serve your media out.

It's $.99 right now on the Amazon App Store.

I don't think Plex supports TV tuners, much less streaming them to the Android app. Am I wrong?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think Plex supports TV tuners, much less streaming them to the Android app. Am I wrong?

Oh, I was thinking about streaming media that a TV tuner recorded. My fault, Kazy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

LastInLine posted:

So nothing for two months except an update that removed the Beta tag and doubled the price.

If you want a simpler one try minimalistic text. It's my personal favourite. No pretty graphics but dead simple to make widgets with.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Google+ update really prettifies the stream.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Has Google ever said why the G+ Messenger is only available on your phone? It seems like it would make a great GTalk client.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

gariig posted:

Has Google ever said why the G+ Messenger is only available on your phone? It seems like it would make a great GTalk client.

Not that I know of, but it's typical of Google to have fragmented product offerings like that.

Hangouts, Messenger, and Talk should all be the same thing.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I thought Talk and Messenger were the same thing, when I have a Talk window open on a Gmail page, and I open my Stream page, a duplicate Messenger window (with all the same dialog in it, but in weird colors) opens on the Stream page.

Thermopyle posted:

Not that I know of, but it's typical of Google to have fragmented product offerings like that.

Speaking of which, I ran into this today: why can't I email people from a Google+ page, or from my G+ friends list, or their profile? Had to go back to Gmail -> Compose to get it done. :wtc:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Splizwarf posted:

I thought Talk and Messenger were the same thing

Messenger used to be huddles. Still different than Talk within G+.

As much of a Google fanboy as I am, it's really quite hosed-up right now.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
The biggest thing about the new G+ version is hangouts now actually ring your phone just like a normal call coming in. Not quite as simple as the facetime button on the dial screen of the iPhone - but it has the advantage of being able to do group video chats.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

Messenger used to be huddles. Still different than Talk within G+.

As much of a Google fanboy as I am, it's really quite hosed-up right now.

Well, I'm a newcomer in that I never even saw Huddles, but these appear to be the same thing. The handoff is seamless and the Messenger doesn't have any additional functions or buttons over the Talk window other than colored text. :confuoot:

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

Well, I'm a newcomer in that I never even saw Huddles, but these appear to be the same thing. The handoff is seamless and the Messenger doesn't have any additional functions or buttons over the Talk window other than colored text. :confuoot:

The Google+ Website IM window is Google Talk (GTalk/Talk) and not the Google+ Messenger/Huddles on your Android/iOS phone. If you start a Messenger (has a red icon) IM session on your Android phone the only way to answer it is through your phone or by SMS if you don't have Google+ on your Android or iOS phone.

Huddles was what Messenger was called a year ago when Google+ was released.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Oh. Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't even realize there was a phone Messenger/Huddles, I thought this discussion extended from Talk for phones.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I can't even find the Android Games forum thread right now so dropping this in here so at least someone sees it, GTA 3 is 99c at the moment.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rockstar.gta3

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Does anybody have any experience with any of the dozen or so "remote wi-fi/bluetooth mouse and keyboard" apps? Any recommendations? I have my tv connected to my pc and it would be nice not to have to get up every time I want to pause a movie.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
My bluetooth speakerphone will not automatically connect to my phone when its in range, I have to actively press a button on the speakerphone, or I assume connect to it via the bluetooth menu on my phone. Is there a tasker option available that will automatically do this for me? Because I always forget to connect it manually and end up missing a call because I feel the phone vibrating in my pocket a few seconds to late.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Red Warrior posted:

I can't even find the Android Games forum thread right now so dropping this in here so at least someone sees it, GTA 3 is 99c at the moment.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rockstar.gta3

That thread is in the Games forum now.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
It was brought up once before but kind of glossed over, but Solid Explorer Beta really is the best file explorer on Android. The only thing that Estrongs does better is built in media players, but Solid Explorer has so many nice features that it's worth switching.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

DonkeyHotay posted:

Does anybody have any experience with any of the dozen or so "remote wi-fi/bluetooth mouse and keyboard" apps? Any recommendations? I have my tv connected to my pc and it would be nice not to have to get up every time I want to pause a movie.

I haven't used it a ton, but WIN- Remote by Banamalon works pretty nicely. It doesn't hurt that it's free.

EDIT: XBMC's official remote is also really nice, with the caveat that XMBC is all it controls.

gucci mangosteen fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 24, 2012

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I have old versions of flash and some other things installed from apk. These things now show up in my play store my apps and want to update all the time.

Some kind of trick to delink them from market? I thought I'd heard titanium could do something but not seeing any option that sounds right.

Failing that is there at least a way I could get them moved down to the manual updates where permissions changed apps are at?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

I have old versions of flash and some other things installed from apk. These things now show up in my play store my apps and want to update all the time.

Some kind of trick to delink them from market? I thought I'd heard titanium could do something but not seeing any option that sounds right.

Failing that is there at least a way I could get them moved down to the manual updates where permissions changed apps are at?
In Titanium, long press the app and pick "Detach from Market"

Edit:

MasterSlowPoke posted:

And is there a way to hide update for specific applications? I don't really want to be pestered every time AT&T Navigator or whatever wants to update itself.

Alternatively you could set the app to auto-update in the Play Store and it will do it silently.

Why would you want the app to not update rather than have it current?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 25, 2012

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
And is there a way to hide update for specific applications? I don't really want to be pestered every time AT&T Navigator or whatever wants to update itself.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Edit:

Alternatively you could set the app to auto-update in the Play Store and it will do it silently.

Why would you want the app to not update rather than have it current?

When I used Titanium Backup to Delink Beyondpod from the Play Store (because the big new update sucks a big new dick) it relinked itself within a day or two and tried to update again.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

LastInLine posted:

no love there. I had attach as an option but not detqch so I did that then detach but it still shows.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 25, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
GTA3 is a buck this weekend:

http://www.androidcentral.com/grand-theft-auto-iii-sale-weekend

Also, .99 on iTunes if you own an iPad. Not bad.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hotsauce posted:

GTA3 is a buck this weekend:

http://www.androidcentral.com/grand-theft-auto-iii-sale-weekend

Also, .99 on iTunes if you own an iPad. Not bad.

This isn't the Games thread and this was already mentioned on this page.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

no love there. I had attach as an option but not detqch so I did that then detach but it still shows.
Huh, that's not good. One thing I might try would be to detach the app from the market in Titanium, then clear the Play Store cache and data and see if it relinks then.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
I think the newest Market update scans the apps you have and checks them against which you've purchased/installed from there. Back when they were doing the 10 cent sales I wrote to Support about apps I'd gotten from Amazon, et al being shown as "purchased", so I couldn't buy them again from a more reliable market. They wrote me an email about a month ago telling me that bug was fixed, and it seems that any app I install from anywhere else won't show up in my update list. I'm betting that if you detach something from the Market now it just re-attaches it as part of that system of checks.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Cakefool posted:

Yes & sort of - I just checked & "weather forecast location" gives me a county (Derbyshire) rather than the nearest city (Derby). I'm not sure what exactly it would report in other countries though.

Why not use the Met Office official one?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Kerbtree posted:

Why not use the Met Office official one?

I don't like their widget but clicking my lovely custom widget opens the met office app :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

This isn't the Games thread and this was already mentioned on this page.

Well my bad man. It's an Android app so I figured it was okay to post.

So very sorry.

• Locked thread