Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Put your scratch on solid state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, drat, beaten. But if it's a 21.5" 2011 iMac you can get a kit from Macsales that has all the parts and tools you need for installing the additional SSD yourself, except for the drive. And SSD prices seem to be dropping more and more the longer you wait..

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Hmm interesting. I'll keep that in mind as a future project anyway, thanks!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Sure they do. :)

How did you do that? I Googled around and couldn't find anyone who had it working.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Bass Bottles posted:

Xbox 360 controllers do not work with OS X Lion, unfortunately. The driver for the previous versions was just made by some guy who apparently disappeared, and no one can find him.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Sure they do. :)

so... Logitech or Microsoft? Only thing I don't like about MS is the size of the receiver but it would feel more ergonomically better. Do you have anything you dislike about the controller?

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 22, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I already had a 360 with three controllers so it was a no-brainer to just spend the $15 on amazon and get the receiver. Just make sure you get the "real" one and not one of the cheap knockoffs. If you don't already have a 360 I'd maybe go with the Logitech as the receiver is smaller and drivers are native.

Bass Bottles posted:

How did you do that? I Googled around and couldn't find anyone who had it working.

I just installed it and it worked. :confused:

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I already had a 360 with three controllers so it was a no-brainer to just spend the $15 on amazon and get the receiver. Just make sure you get the "real" one and not one of the cheap knockoffs. If you don't already have a 360 I'd maybe go with the Logitech as the receiver is smaller and drivers are native.

I'm not sure if the drivers are native on logitech. Doesn't show any support downloads for OSX :/

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I can't get it to work, googling a solution hasn't helped. Very few people seem to be lucky enough to have working 360 controllers on Lion.

I have a PS3 controller that works, but apparently certain games made specifically for the 360 controller (like Telltale's Walking Dead) have mixed-up controls with non-360 gamepads. It doesn't seem like Lion has any foolproof gamepad options.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 22, 2012

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
I just installed this: http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

and it works fine with my Microsoft-branded 360 controller. I tried it with a MadCatz brand controller and it didn't work without some janky .plist editing.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Bob Morales posted:

cbirdsong posted:

If Apple ditches ethernet, they may decide to include two Thunderbolt ports instead, which should allow for two standard monitors with adapters?
That would make too much sense. But there's probably have to be support in the chipset for two ports instead of one, and I'm not sure what the added cost etc would be. Having just ONE of a port that you can do so many things with (especially when not all devices have a passthrough port) is ridiculous.

There are 2 Thunderbolt ports both in the leaked/rumoured design and the currently-shipping 27" iMac.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I am clueless about fruit computers.

I'm thinking about buying a friend's macbook air that she bought last summer, and it still has the one year warranty that it came with for a few more months. The OP says you can add apple care (And I want to, since I plan on bringing this thing like everywhere around the world for the next two years) within the first year, but I'm just concerned that because I'm not the original buyer and if it'll somehow block me from adding applecare to the computer. That's dumb and I can totally just add it myself, right?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Magna Kaser posted:

That's dumb and I can totally just add it myself, right?
Yup. Make sure you have a copy of the proof of purchase if it wasn't originally purchased through Apple, since you'll have to supply a purchase date when you register Apple Care if they don't have it on record.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Ok, so I'll have to ask for that proof of purchase or where she bought it. Good to know, thanks.

Hope she kept it around somewhere!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Brain fart nm

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

I can't get it to work, googling a solution hasn't helped. Very few people seem to be lucky enough to have working 360 controllers on Lion.

I have a PS3 controller that works, but apparently certain games made specifically for the 360 controller (like Telltale's Walking Dead) have mixed-up controls with non-360 gamepads. It doesn't seem like Lion has any foolproof gamepad options.

Didn't realize PS3 was compatible. I tried PS3/Windows at year or so ago and it was horrible. I just tried connecting now and everything looks good.

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

I just installed this: http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

and it works fine with my Microsoft-branded 360 controller. I tried it with a MadCatz brand controller and it didn't work without some janky .plist editing.

I didn't install it but followed these instructions and everything seems to work on OSX Lion.

quote:

1. Open bluetooth from system preferences.
2. Get your PS3 controller to ask for pairing passcode (pressing PSX button). 3. Then enter new passcode (I used letters only "xxxx" don't know if it matters)
4. Now you should see PS3 Controller "Connected" in that list of Bluetooth devices. Select it and click the little gear in the bottom left corner and select add to favorites and then update services.
5. THIS IS THE STEP THAT FINALLY MADE IT REMEMBER. Turn off Bluetooth right away before it asks to pair all over again. The lights on the controller should stop flashing. Turn Bluetooth back on.
6. Press PSX button once and should pair in bluetooth right away. The lights will start flashing again and stay flashing all the time. They turn off when you disconnect it from bluetooth or turn bluetooth off.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

Are you getting an install error, or are the controllers actually not working? When I installed it I would get an error on every attempt, but it still installed and worked fine.

I'd love to see those drivers get updated, regardless.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
My MacBook Air '11 was LIGHTLY tapped by my Wife's jacket zipper and it was enough to cause a hairline crack in the screen display. Over time, the crack has been growing little by little. I was surprised how fragile the display was, as I said the impact was extremely soft. Can I go to a fruit stand, and get them to replace it under my AppleCare plan? And if they try to pin it on me, can I complain some more and get them to budge? I don't know how service works at all.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Progression Please posted:

My MacBook Air '11 was LIGHTLY tapped by my Wife's jacket zipper and it was enough to cause a hairline crack in the screen display. Over time, the crack has been growing little by little. I was surprised how fragile the display was, as I said the impact was extremely soft. Can I go to a fruit stand, and get them to replace it under my AppleCare plan? And if they try to pin it on me, can I complain some more and get them to budge? I don't know how service works at all.
You're probably at the mercy of the tech or the manager for that one. The warranty doesn't cover any damage, at all, as a general rule. However you could definitely try, and it might be covered.

If I saw a computer come in with no damage whatsoever and a hairline crack on the screen, I'd probably order the part under warranty and just hope it doesn't get rejected at the warehouse.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

TheMadMilkman posted:

Are you getting an install error, or are the controllers actually not working? When I installed it I would get an error on every attempt, but it still installed and worked fine.

I'd love to see those drivers get updated, regardless.

It installs fine, but when I plug in my wired controller nothing happens. It doesn't recognize the controller.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Sonic Dude posted:

You're probably at the mercy of the tech or the manager for that one. The warranty doesn't cover any damage, at all, as a general rule. However you could definitely try, and it might be covered.

If I saw a computer come in with no damage whatsoever and a hairline crack on the screen, I'd probably order the part under warranty and just hope it doesn't get rejected at the warehouse.

Set up an appt. with the mac store, I should bring brownies shouldn't I.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

You should also be more honest with them about what happened than you were in your post.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Accipiter posted:

You should also be more honest with them about what happened than you were in your post.

I take it you don't believe my story? It's true. I could say I "slammed the poo poo out of it" if it will make it sound more realistic though...

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Send your wife with brownies and tears.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

As long as there are no signs of abuse (tool marks, impact scars, lots of chipped edges, other things) a case could be made that the glass was defective or something. Thing is, they'll have to just order a whole new display assembly, they don't part out screens anymore, especially on the Air.

Edit: but since we don't have any pics or anything that would give us an idea, the jury's out, who the hell knows, can't say for sure, etc.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 23, 2012

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

I take it you don't believe my story?
Anyone who works on computers takes everything everyone says with an enormous grain of salt. If it really is as pristine as you describe, you should have light/no pushback from the store.

To give you a slightly-exaggerated example of why we're all cynical fucks, this picture from the ticket thread would probably be described as "light scratches and a missing keycap" by your average customer:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
whatever caused that, it must have been worth the fun.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Binary Badger posted:

As long as there are no signs of abuse (tool marks, impact scars, lots of chipped edges, other things) a case could be made that the glass was defective or something. Thing is, they'll have to just order a whole new display assembly, they don't part out screens anymore, especially on the Air.

Edit: but since we don't have any pics or anything that would give us an idea, the jury's out, who the hell knows, can't say for sure, etc.

Here is the best capture I can get. Other than this the mac is not dinged.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I have a sneaking suspicion that the gap between Ivy Bridge and Apple refresh is because Intel is having a hard time hitting thermal requirements. I've assembled a few Ivy Bridge systems now, and every single one has run hot. I wish I hadn't sold my 2600k in favor of a 3770k.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If the screen in front of the display looks clean, you probably have a good case for replacement.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the gap between Ivy Bridge and Apple refresh is because Intel is having a hard time hitting thermal requirements. I've assembled a few Ivy Bridge systems now, and every single one has run hot. I wish I hadn't sold my 2600k in favor of a 3770k.

Isn't that because Intel cheaped out and is using standard thermal paste between the chip and the heatspreader on Ivy, rather than the fluxless solder on Sandy?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

frumpsnake posted:

Isn't that because Intel cheaped out and is using standard thermal paste between the chip and the heatspreader on Ivy, rather than the fluxless solder on Sandy?
Other sites have tested it since that initial story broken and results are inconclusive. It's more likely a side effect of the process shrink and tri-gate stuff.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Hey guys, in case anyone's interested in a lightly-used 11" mid-2011 MBA, mine's for sale in SA Mart.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Space Racist posted:

Hey guys, in case anyone's interested in a lightly-used 11" mid-2011 MBA, mine's for sale in SA Mart.

Trying to beat the glut of MBA's for sale when new ones hit? I'm wondering if I should put my 2011 13" Air up right now...

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Bob Morales posted:

Trying to beat the glut of MBA's for sale when new ones hit? I'm wondering if I should put my 2011 13" Air up right now...

Not exactly, but I figured it would be easier trying to sell before WWDC. Also willing to hear offers if anyone wants to haggle, but that's the last I'll mention it in this thread.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

frumpsnake posted:

Mobile parts would be lacking an IHS anyway, and that's what Apple would be using. Thermal issues are the worst to try and combat :smith:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
MacBook5,1

Anyone have a picture tutorial handy for what needs to be done to upgrade the RAM that I can email to someone who's never done it before?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Boris Galerkin posted:

MacBook5,1

Anyone have a picture tutorial handy for what needs to be done to upgrade the RAM that I can email to someone who's never done it before?

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Unibody-Model-A1278-RAM/757/1

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Are there any car chargers for a Macbook Pro that can be bought in-store? I can only find listings for them on Ebay or Amazon. It would be nice to have for a road trip.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Edit: nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

actionjackson posted:

Are there any car chargers for a Macbook Pro that can be bought in-store? I can only find listings for them on Ebay or Amazon. It would be nice to have for a road trip.

Apple doesn't sell car chargers for the laptops or phones - but third parties do.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 24, 2012