Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Obviously they need to make Lego Sliders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
US: Quinjet just popped up at 20% off on Amazon. Pretty good deal this early on if you've been on the fence.

UK: Batcave 29% off. First time I've seen it south of £50.

Hooray for superheroes and brickbadger.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

ireladd posted:

Harrison Ford, Orlando Bloom and soon also Samuel L Jackson are all one away as well!

Warwick Davies is winning at the moment with 4...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ireladd posted:

Harrison Ford, Orlando Bloom and soon also Samuel L Jackson are all one away as well!

Has Jackson had any? :confused:

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Has Jackson had any? :confused:

Mace Windu!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Someone submit an Airforce One MOC to Cuuso to get Harrison Ford another minifig.

Nazzle
Apr 11, 2008
Dear Goons!

I have this lovely thread to thank for making me purchase lego! well that and the fact that they released the R2-D2 at the same time.

Anyway, after doing some diligent research I have a question, there are a number of sets that are currently listed as 'Hard to find' particularly the Shuttle Expedition, Tower Bridge, Diagon Ally, the Camper Van and the massive Super Star Destroyer.

Now the question is, how long am I looking at to buy all of the above before they stop producing the sets? or is my credit card in need of a hammering?

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Gravy Jones posted:

US: Quinjet just popped up at 20% off on Amazon. Pretty good deal this early on if you've been on the fence.

UK: Batcave 29% off. First time I've seen it south of £50.

Hooray for superheroes and brickbadger.

Crap and I just bought the bat cave set for my kid three days ago at 20% off. Decisions decisions.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
"Hard to find " is used as a very broad term in this context. Most of it actually isn't that hard to find. For a lot of these sets if they go out of production they're still available here and there for a while. That said, I'd probably be most concerned about Diagon Ally disappearing out of that lot. Although that's just 100% dumb speculation.

Alternative answer: Wait for the next double points promotion and get all of them. When you can't make rent move into the Super Star Destroyer box.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 24, 2012

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Also...

So not a fan of these free floating playsets (Helicarrier, Moria, even the Frankenstien one from Monster Hunters). I've got nothing against play ets in general... it's just all the different element floating in space or segments of walls joined by a hinge rather than an actual single structure. Something like that Funhouse in the DC sets or some of the PotC stuff does it much better than these recent ones.

Maybe kids like them, I don't know, I don't think I would have preferred them as a kind. Lego was about building things, not abstract representations of bits of things.

/
:wal:

edit: Actually throw in Friends as another line that does this well. Those sets tend to be more cohesive wholes.

And a completely unrelated didn't-want-to-triple-post edit... my Lego Holy Grail just arrived and I finally own me a Earth Defence HQ. Not a big deal to some of you with your Death Stars and Gran Emporiums but it's probably the biggest set I've ever owned (as a kid we couldn't afford the "big" sets). I'm well happy.

We're actually off to our inlaws in rural Belgium for a week and because there's gently caress all to do in the evenings except watch TV in a language I don't understand I'm taking it with (we're driving) so me and the kid can take our time over it.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 24, 2012

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
To some extent that's nothing new; even 20 years ago, smaller sets were often small vignettes with bits of scenery instead of fully realized structures, due to price/size constraints. In the past 10 years they've been pushing that design philosophy harder in larger sets, which I agree is somewhat disappointing but it's still the same basic motivation--if they wanted to build a building around all that cool stuff it would be huge, and the market can't justify a ton of big $100 sets in a single wave (especially for kid-oriented stuff.)

Besides, if parents are doing their jobs right it won't matter because the kids will just disassemble all of their sets and mash them together into a giant patchwork fortress of doom.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Gabriel Pope posted:

To some extent that's nothing new; even 20 years ago, smaller sets were often small vignettes with bits of scenery instead of fully realized structures, due to price/size constraints. In the past 10 years they've been pushing that design philosophy harder in larger sets, which I agree is somewhat disappointing but it's still the same basic motivation--if they wanted to build a building around all that cool stuff it would be huge, and the market can't justify a ton of big $100 sets in a single wave (especially for kid-oriented stuff.)

Yeah I think in smaller sets or when a vehicle is the focus of the set it's fine and make sense. But a lot of these are big sets and I just get no sense of place of structure from them. Moria and the Helicarrier in particular are the ones that annoy me... there just seems to be no attempt to even hint at a structure. It doesn't have to be a complete three dimensional building, again Friends comes to mind because I'd so much prefer the equivilent of this (or a dozen other recent sets):

to that Spiderman set, and I'm sure they'll be similarly priced.

Edit: Has something happened with regards to baseplates. I was reading a review of this set recently

and holy poo poo look at all those baseplates. I guess it's probably an expense thing. But I have such fond memories of sets like this:

Maybe it's just nostalgia, but the kid in me finds that so much more appealing and playable than the stuff I'm talking about.

Just me being crotchety and old I guess. I love plenty of the newer stuff Lego does and don't mind that there's more of an emphasis on action and play. It's just this specific type of set that bugs me.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 24, 2012

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
I totally agree with you, and I was complaining about this aspect of the LotR sets a couple of pages back-- all of the new sets (particularly the licensed stuff) seem to be focused on action and conflict rather than building. I'm sticking with Creator at this point; those sets seem to have the best array of generic pieces and honestly awesome standalone models (I love the detailing on the lighthouse).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I love that this set comes with approximately a billion control panel bricks. Those are my favourites whenever I'm building, as I'm generally working on something sci-fi-y that requires a control room/bridge.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

So I found the Res-Q Cruiser used, not complete but close enough. Really liked the Res-Q line when I was young but only got one set (that van-thing). Since I've seen and enjoyed others in this thread posting stop motion videos of the building process, I decided to try my hand at that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc7ypFAFNl0

Didn't think of putting any music to it. :downs:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

Edit: Has something happened with regards to baseplates. I was reading a review of this set recently

and holy poo poo look at all those baseplates. I guess it's probably an expense thing. But I have such fond memories of sets like this:

That airport set was re-released in the mid 2000s with the same baseplates:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/10159-1

But yeah, I think the general philosophy now is that the baseplates are sold as separate packages, and you put the sets on them. Keeps the packaging smaller.

I think they used to do that way back too... I think the road baseplates were sold as sets.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Found this today, thought it was pretty awesome and needed to be shared:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=503883

And I think Ninjago is reaching critical mass (of awesome):

Those trans green-bits would be great for some Space Police II MOC.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Holy crap. I can see so many super robot MOCs using dragon heads for shoulders.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Oh man, we're finally getting a Green Ninja set?

It's like I know the plot of Ninjago or something

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

The_Doctor posted:

I put together the little Batman boat last night, and whoever said it's like something out of Blacktron is telling the truth. I love the control panel in it too, and I've never seen one like it.

The_Doctor posted:

I love that this set comes with approximately a billion control panel bricks.

I'm getting that you have a thing about control panels!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

That's a great find. When I get around to a western sci-fi build I'll have to make some antigrav Model-T's.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

InfinEight posted:

Found this today, thought it was pretty awesome and needed to be shared:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=503883

And I think Ninjago is reaching critical mass (of awesome):

Those trans green-bits would be great for some Space Police II MOC.

They really need to release an army builder pack of these freaky snake men cause drat if I don't want to make a lot of nagas and snake men to fight my castle knights.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

I'm getting that you have a thing about control panels!

It's true. I have a problem.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I got my orders from BrickForge and BrickWarriors today.
Really groovy stuff. I can't really recommend BrickWarriors enough. It doesn't get as much hype as BA and BF, but the products are top-notch, and I think they have the most LEGO-like feel to them in terms of design.
This Bowie knife is just the best thing.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but Lego Batman 2 preorder at GameStop comes with an exclusive Lex Luthor figure. Not sure what the other exclusives are.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

The Rage posted:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but Lego Batman 2 preorder at GameStop comes with an exclusive Lex Luthor figure. Not sure what the other exclusives are.

I know if you preorder with Amazon you get a couple extra characters to play as in game.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

The_Doctor posted:

I put together the little Batman boat last night, and whoever said it's like something out of Blacktron is telling the truth. I love the control panel in it too, and I've never seen one like it.

Edit: this piece: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=3039pb48

I just wanted the li'l batmobile until I read this post. Stupid living in the United States.

"Land of the Free" my rear end.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
I just recently saw the story about the "tomsbrickyard" seller. I've bought from him numerous times over ebay, all sets without minifigures for extremely low prices. He was always such a nice guy through email and I regarded him an extremely good seller. Now that I found out that he basically sold me "stolen" sets, all the sets I've bought from him feel a bit dirty.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

Crazy Pigeon posted:

I just recently saw the story about the "tomsbrickyard" seller. I've bought from him numerous times over ebay, all sets without minifigures for extremely low prices. He was always such a nice guy through email and I regarded him an extremely good seller. Now that I found out that he basically sold me "stolen" sets, all the sets I've bought from him feel a bit dirty.

I also bought several things from him. Ended up picking up a lot of the high dollar star wars sets from a few years ago for very cheap (minus the figs). I would search for his auctions specifically since they were also a good deal for parts and partial sets.

I think I had a conversation with some other lego fans about how cheap he was and how he couldn't be making much money selling the figs separately. We figured he was either rich, working at a lego store, or stealing the sets. Sucks it was the latter.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I'm usually not too worried about my lego habits and how others perceive them, but the other day I had to pick up my kid from high school. I was going to get there a bit early so I decided to grab one of those $4 star wars sets in the plastic bags to mess with while I waited. Got a lot of weird looks but I guess they also might have been thinking I was a pedophile. Think I'll just bring a book next time.

Also, more baseplates please! I was really disappointed with the first Harry Potter castle for that reason. Not much more than a facade really. I remember the old yellow castle that was a whole structure and also had hinges so you could open it up or change the shape of it. I've gone mostly to creator sets these days.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Leave a trail of polybags from the school gates to the door of your van and wait

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Crazy Pigeon posted:

I just recently saw the story about the "tomsbrickyard" seller. I've bought from him numerous times over ebay, all sets without minifigures for extremely low prices.
Hmm, do sets without minifigs generally go for a lot off? Because I don't really care about minifigs...

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

smackfu posted:

Hmm, do sets without minifigs generally go for a lot off? Because I don't really care about minifigs...

In licensed themes absolutely. It depends on the contents of the set. If you want a particular set you might be able to find someone to make a deal with someone before hand. Or you can buy the set and ebay the minifigs seperately. It's probably most common in Star Wars stuff as some people collect minifigs and some people collect ships. Both have some value for some people. In other sets the set itself holds most of the value (say the POTC ships) and in some the figures hold all the value (smaller figure heavy "battle pack" sets) so it varies based on that.

Check the ebay listings for Wolverines Chopper Showdown. Without minifigs it goes for next to nothing, less than the minifigures themselves. I got the set at a discount (£15) and now it's fairly hard to find at retail in the UK. If I sold the figures on ebay, but kept the rest I'd probably make a profit. There are a lot of people chancing it with stupid high prices, but I think £5 each for the minifigures in that set and they'd probably sell. Bricklink will have more realistic prices.

I think the Lord of the Rings sets will probably see a lot of this as they're expensive and have a lot of minifigures and accessories.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 25, 2012

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
When I get bored I browse projects with zero supporters on Cuusoo. I often toy with the idea of picking a project and making a goonrush thread in GBS to try and get it to 10,000. It wouldn't even be a mean spirited thing. Just take someone's pet project and throw the full weight of SA behind it.

A lot of people take Cuusoo very seriously though. And they scare me.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 25, 2012

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

I often toy with the idea of picking a project and making a goonrush thread in GBS to try and get it to 10,000.

At least you would pick a project with a chance of being produced unlike 99% of the Cuusco population.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

The Rage posted:

Looked up Lex, and it's the existing Luthor head on a tuxedo body. That's pretty weak. :(

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

djfooboo posted:

At least you would pick a project with a chance of being produced unlike 99% of the Cuusco population.

Well at least one that wouldn't be produced simply because it was terrible rather than because it was a licensed property. Alternatively if any of the Legoons can think of something vaguely SA related (NOT GOATSE) and that could be submitted as a project we could go for that. I'm thinking of something stupid that would never get made but juuuust feasible enough that at least TLG would have to consider it and give a reason for rejecting it.

I'm running it past the admins to see if they think it's (a) a terrible idea or (b) something potentially entertaining.

Edit: My current stupid idea is a range of "notable internet personalities" minigifures (including of course Lowtax) but some other people with enough of an ego that they if it gained some momentum might pick up the cause themselves and spread the word. I'm sure between us we'd have enough minifigure parts to come up with some images for it as a project.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 25, 2012

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.
Anything would be better than the majority of projects with little more than a licensed property and a handful of accessories, like the Legend of Zelda set that reached 10000: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6809

I like the general idea, but the creator seems to have the wrong priorities.

First, he's really hung up on getting lots of LoZ-specific weapons and shields. This seems unreasonable, as all of these would have to be new molds, and as far as I know, it's not really feasible to have multi-colored minifig weapons like that. All of those swords/items would be useless for non-LoZ builds. I'd focus more on the basic set of Link's iconic inventory items, like the Master Sword and shield (which would make more sense to be printed in high detail on one of the old-school flat shields, rather than custom-molded, given that this would be a one-off series), and hookshot, bombs, bow, wands, lantern, boomerang, etc. Most of these could probably be brickbuilt or use slightly modified existing parts.

Second, why is the only actual set idea a scene from Oracle of Time? Elements of the original, Link to the Past, Wind Waker, and Skyward Sword would probably be a lot more fitting to Lego. A generalized Lego version of Link would fit equally well into Lego versions of the various Zelda games. Off the top of my head I can think of several obvious set ideas:

-Master Sword forest clearing/pedestal from LTTP (almost any scene from LTTP, really)
-King of Red Lions (talking boat) from WW
-Dungeon sets, possibly modular, with brick built monsters and gimmicky playset traps
-Boss battle sets with brick-built giant bosses and small arenas
-Wilderness scenes including a weapon/tool and a use for it (Cliff with posts for hookshot, cave with cracked walls to bomb open for treasure on the other side)
-Chickens

The scene included with the submission is an impressive build but I don't think it would be a good set, it's just three minifigs standing in a room, regardless of its dramatic significance in the game.

The thing that bugs me with submissions like this is that they are a good idea but the creator might have the wrong focus, or no good examples of how it should be done. This submission could have been "MAKE LEGEND OF ZELDA LEGO SETS" repeated over and over in the description and probably would have still reached 10,000 supporters. Assuming Lego can get the license (and I think Mega Bloks has at least the Mario Kart license right now, I'm not sure what else), there are some possible great sets but the submission leaves it entirely up to Lego to make them, and basically says "Make me a bunch of official custom weapons and minifigs."

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I should reiterate that it this wouldn't be about coming up with a "good" idea, just a dumb idea that we can deadpan enough to get taken vaguely seriously and not deleted out of hand for being an obvious joke. (aside from all that I agree with everything you're saying).

Got a "go for it" from an admin so I'm game. Anyone got any idea that fit or want to try their hand at a Lowtax minifigure? Also any other "internet famous" minifigures welcome... I'm thinking Gabe Newell, Kevin Smith, Tim Buckley, Penny Arcade Guys? anyone with on online presence and an ego.

Or, like I said, a better bad idea would be welcome (no grenades, no goatse)

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

My Batmobile arrived, thanks LordEvilElmo it's really awesome.