Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bocc Kob posted:

That seems an unlikely topic to include in a game about manly men and burning justice. :psyduck:
Oh, at least since 2 there's been things here and there about the the Korean entertainment boom (which was loving HUGE at the time, I was there, I saw it first-hand), but it came up this time because Haruka is going into the idol biz and her boss is apparently Korean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Bocc Kob posted:

That seems an unlikely topic to include in a game about manly men and burning justice. :psyduck:

They won't. It's really not mainstream opinion. In fact, that kind of feeling has only surfaced because the rest of the country is so head over heels with Korean pop culture and Japan-Korea relations are at an all-time high.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, at least since 2 there's been things here and there about the the Korean entertainment boom (which was loving HUGE at the time, I was there, I saw it first-hand), but it came up this time because Haruka is going into the idol biz and her boss is apparently Korean.

Is Mirei also a Korean name? Maybe she's had to face discrimination for being half-Korean/half-Japanese and is just trying to get somewhere in the business with hard work until some yakuza jerks showed up and now Haruka has to save the day. :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bocc Kob posted:

Is Mirei also a Korean name? Maybe she's had to face discrimination for being half-Korean/half-Japanese and is just trying to get somewhere in the business with hard work until some yakuza jerks showed up and now Haruka has to save the day. :v:
I dunno, it doesn't sound Japanese to me anyway. Paku is definitely the Korean name Park though.

Egomaniac posted:

They won't. It's really not mainstream opinion. In fact, that kind of feeling has only surfaced because the rest of the country is so head over heels with Korean pop culture and Japan-Korea relations are at an all-time high.
Yeah, any big popular thing is going to have a backlash, it's unavoidable. And it doesn't have to be a mainstream opinion to be relevant here, I think. A lot of fans of this series will also be anti-Korean I think, since it's such a RAH RAH JAPAN series.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 24, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I know it's definitely a Japanese name, I just don't know anything about Korean names.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bocc Kob posted:

I know it's definitely a Japanese name, I just don't know anything about Korean names.
When I put it into Google using any of the top few Chinese characters the IME give it 美麗、美玲、美令、), only Chinese people come up. I've never heard a Japanese given name that ends in -rei, other than the name Rei.

edit: oh, 三玲 got some Japanese hits. The top one was for some artist who actually changed his name to that to match the French name Millet.

edit: vvv sure it wasn't a stage name?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 24, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I looked it up here: http://jisho.org/words?jap=%E3%81%BF%E3%82%8C%E3%81%84&eng=&dict=enamdic

Plus I've seen some dramas with characters or actresses with the name.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, any big popular thing is going to have a backlash, it's unavoidable. And it doesn't have to be a mainstream opinion to be relevant here, I think. A lot of fans of this series will also be anti-Korean I think, since it's such a RAH RAH JAPAN series.

That's probably true, but I don't get a particularly patriotic vibe from the series overall. It's just that, unlike most games made in Japan, it actually takes place in Japan, in modern times, with real(ish) people. Of course, that also means the fanbase is skewed older than most JRPGs and, indeed, games in Japan in general, which was Sega's intent in developing Ryuu ga Gotoku in the first place. And, just like anywhere else, you're going to get more conservatives and nationalists in the older demographic.

In a lot of ways too the series started as an homage to those '60s and '70s yakuza films with the 'heroic gangster' archetype, so it definitely treats the criminal underworld with kid gloves, and that underworld tends to be full of right-wing nutjobs. But just like people of all political stripes can enjoy Goodfellas or Mafia, it doesn't necessarily follow that the audience agrees.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Japanese PSN exploded or something, "undergoing maintenance" now. I blame the Yakuza 5 announcement. :)

Policenaut posted:

Screenshots without going to the official site

Kiryu looks like he's transforming into Detective Date on that third screenshot of him.

That coat is seventies as hell. Definite homage to Proxy War and other such films. Speaking of which, everyone who likes this series should watch this film series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_Without_Honor_and_Humanity .

Really good (and influential) movies. These were actually the first non-glamorous looks at the Yakuza in cinema. It's also mostly a true story, having been scripted from transcripts of actual people in the business at the time. I mention it because the Yakuza series, despite its absurdness, does bring up a lot of these topics both directly and indirectly. Remember how a Korean agent LITERALLY impersonates the owner of a certain club in Yakuza 2 for some time? It's a huge twist that these Korean criminals could already be among us subverting our culture. Date catches it because "you can't hide your voice," if only the Japanese people had paid more attention it says. Fans of Yakuza 4 especially may enjoy the first since it concerns the formation of the modern Yakuza from the chaos of Hiroshima.

Or when Go Hamazaki is telling Chen how he admires how "the Chinese will do anything to survive" before he kills him, he's not joking around with him, he really means it. He comes to that thought after looking at all the food they eat and how a lot of their food is prepared with the animal's head still on it. He bites the head off a bird and eats it. When I first saw that I thought he was trying to be intimidating, he's not, he means it. He's speaking out against the pastiche notion of Japanese culture being about conformity and being resigned to your fate. Literally, he blows up this dude's Chinese restaurant as he walks off to enact his plan, figuratively, the only representation of China in the game is destroyed, defeated, as the most ambitious representation of Japanese leadership shakes off conformity and his boss' oversight to do what he thinks is beat for him personally.

The Yakuza in real life make a lot of money off sex/slave trafficking. Yet in Yakuza 3 Kiryu gets caught up with some child kidnappers and destroys them with extreme prejudice. This was an interesting quest to put in the game. It happens pretty far from the big cities where anyone will care, and it happens because the guys doing the kidnapping accidentally talk Kiryu into coming with them instead of a little girl. It's no secret that Kiryu represents absolute perfection of humanity, but it seemed out of nowhere that this would be in the game.

It shows up again as a sidequest for Tanimura in Yakuza 4, now a bit closer to home, but still in its own microcosm of little Asia, which only Tanimura can enter with his super power of being able to open doors and turn around corners in a cool way. Why does this cutscene exist? It's literally a minute of him just walking around through alleyways going deeper and deeper into the neighborhood. I think it speaks to conformity again, we already know at this point Tanimura is a dirty cop. This scene where we learn that he speaks a few different languages and interacts with foreigners casually, is "shot" as if it's a plot twist, like he's a dirty cop BECAUSE he interacts with them. Is the game saying he's resigned to this? Or does he consciously choose to cheat a mahjong. It doesn't matter, it's just awesome that it's there because it gives you something to think about in between bludgeoning eighty people with a steel briefcase.

When Sayama leaves at the beginning of Yakuza 3, she doesn't outright say that she leaves because her career can't advance any further in Japan because she's female, but there's a clear call back to it when another character describes their departure to pursue law enforcement in the US in "a country where skill matters above all." The series is full of this stuff and I admire that most of it doesn't get lost in the English translation.

The stakes are figurative in that the games are about rival criminal organizations and shady government dealings, but given how much our lives are directly effected by criminal organizations and shady government dealings on a daily basis I feel like it's a series worth reading into despite being from the US. I always thought of the Yakuza series as sort of the Robocop or Watchmen of video games in that it's goofy as hell on the surface but brings up some good points and I think that ability to have its cake and perform a level three heat action on it too is what really keeps people coming back even if on the surface we come back for the mini-games and the sidequests or whatever.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 25, 2012

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

If Japan made Sayama leave, then Japan is bad and I want to beat them up.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Crappy Jack posted:

All I know is that both Lupin III and Cutey Honey are made from the position that the Japanese police are awful and not a place where real ability is ever recognized. Someone always says "don't underestimate the Japanese police!" because the default position is to.

And yeah being over there too all my (few) encounters with the police have supported this idea. Not in the "gently caress the police" sense like here, just lazy and not having any real work to do most of the time. Once a car ran into a telephone pole outside my building and I watched in amusement as six police cars and a police van showed up and stayed there for hours, the officers all standing around doing nothing.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 25, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samurai Sanders posted:

And yeah being over there too all my (few) encounters with the police have supported this idea. Not in the "gently caress the police" sense like here, just lazy and not having any real work to do most of the time. Once a car ran into a telephone pole outside my building and I watched in amusement as six police cars and a police van showed up and stayed there for hours, the officers all standing around doing nothing.

That's everywhere though. When the blizzard last year shut down all roads and transportation in this part of Brooklyn, on the corner of my block there were two snow plows parked there all day with literally thirty sanitation workers standing around basically going "man that's a lot of snow," over and over again. The best though was when someone grabbed and walked with some stuff from my store. There was a cop like right outside and when we told him he just told us to call 911, didn't even look up or make eye contact.

Anyways I think the Yakuza series is relevant because the the writers don't seem to have gone about wanting to deliver a specific message, but because of that we get this great variety of stuff to chew on that I doubt was consciously intended.

Stupidly, I just remembered the reason I entered this thread in the first place, it's about the playable former baseball player character. Is he the same guy from Yakuza 4 (the famous pitcher with the trademark twisted curve) who was originally a thug in Yakuza 2? Anyone remember that guy's name?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 25, 2012

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Crappy Jack posted:

I hope the only reason Tanimura was left out of Yakuza 5 is because that Sayama/Date/Tanimura cop game we all want is being developed.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Has anyone played the new Kurohyo game? Is it much different than the first? I can't imagine anyone will play the co-op with me but I did enjoy the first game (although I thought it was really hard, then I realized I skipped past the explanation that you had to pay the guy to up your skills, and once I figured that out the game was a cakewalk).

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
There's no where to buy bait in Kamurocho in 3 right? I've been running back and forth from Public Market to Ryudo Family Office dropping off bait so I can finish off the dining stuff.

Dead Souls down to $47 now. Still gonna wait til it's ~$20

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yakuza 5 Update posted:

A few additional bits on Yakuza 5 have surfaced from Dengeki PlayStation, which has its first report on the game this week.

One of the big surprises from last week's announcement was that Haruka, a character who's been part of the series since the first installment, will at last be a playable character, one of the game's five main characters. The question everyone had is, would sweet little Haruka be taking part in street fights with Tokyo (and Nagoya, Sapporo, Osaka and Fukuoka) thugs?

The answer appears to be no. In an interview, series producer Toshihiro Nagoshi said that Haruka won't be taking part in battles with street thugs. However, she will have a different type of battle element. We're going to have to wait for details.

The underage Haruka also won't be taking part in the adult play spots, most notably the host club component. However, to make up for this, she will have her own exclusive play spots that Kiryu and the other men won't be able to enjoy.

Even if Haruka could take part in the host component, she wouldn't get to see digital versions of the girls Sega is currently auditioning to be Miss Yakuza 5. Different from past "audition" promotions, the Miss Yakuza girls are not going to be used as in-game hostesses.

Incidentally, the five main character thing is just a coincidence and has nothing to do with this being Yakuza 5.

Also in the interview, Nagoshi mentioned that the game's scenario has two times the volume of Yakuza 4.

Huh. I wonder what Haruka's gonna get up to.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
That really does sound like dance battles now.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Dance battle of course.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I bet the harder dance battles will be up against Koreans :v:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Super excited about all that Yakuza 5 news!

The Preorder DLC for Dead Souls is currently up for free on PSN in case anybody doesnt have those yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I am officially twice as excited about this than I was for 4.

Though once again I'll probably spend 40 hours refusing to leave Akiyama's chapter.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Policenaut posted:

She challenges them to a popular handheld fighting game where her favorite character looks suspiciously like her favorite uncle.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
I hope it's Yu Gi Oh.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Aha! You've triggered my trap card! Reveal 'Saejima Reverse Flying Lariat!"

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Any word if Baseball Guy's side quests will have him showing up/beating up real-life Japanese baseball players? I only know Matsui Hideki because he played for the New York Yankees for a time, but I feel like it'd be in keeping with the tone of the game to have the protagonist beat him at the batting cage.

Anyway, just got Dead Souls from Gamefly. The trophy for Ex-Hard says "true ending". Is there more plot to be gained from beating Ex-Hard? It's more tolerable than Dead Souls difficulty I hope.

Edmantium
Jan 15, 2011

I WAS READY TO EMBRACE A MAN
The final chapter will culminate with a giant dance battle.

On top of Toto Hospital Kamurocho Hills Millenium Tower.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I played the first few hours of the new PSP Yakuza game. More of the same from the first game for the most part, but they've fixed the idiotic leveling system. It seems to take a long time to earn experience though, which is too bad. Or else I'm just bad at the game. Whichever.

Tatsuya still grates on my nerves though. His whole attachment to the Dragon Heat doesn't even make any loving sense, wasn't he like forced against his will to participate, IIRC. And he fought his dad I guess. So now it's like a big deal that some dudes from Osaka are gonna take it over. And he throws away his pro debut and becoming rich because "I don't do luck." So he can save the tournament. Ugh shut up you idiot. I haven't gotten to the part of the game where you travel out of Kamurocho but that will probably be cool; I'm kind of bored with Kamurocho after playing Yakuza 4, Yakuza of the End, and Kurohyou already.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I really hope I'm the only one who is finding Haruka becoming an idol extra funny due to knowing idolmaster and the lead girl in that also being a Haruka.

Still, I also hope for both dance offs and possibly sing offs since I'm quite fond of Haruka's voice actor.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Overlord K posted:

I really hope I'm the only one who is finding Haruka becoming an idol extra funny due to knowing idolmaster and the lead girl in that also being a Haruka.

Still, I also hope for both dance offs and possibly sing offs since I'm quite fond of Haruka's voice actor.

I just find it funny because they've been playing that card since 2, and every time Kiryu was like, "no, you're not going to become an actress," then he'd kick the poo poo out of the producer guy. Guess he finally have up.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
/\/\/\

Wasn't there some side mission where he was ready to sign away Haruka to some random producer without even asking her?

Captain Walker posted:

Anyway, just got Dead Souls from Gamefly. The trophy for Ex-Hard says "true ending". Is there more plot to be gained from beating Ex-Hard? It's more tolerable than Dead Souls difficulty I hope.

If there's anything different in the Extra Hard ending, then I missed it. It seemed exactly the same. But it's definitely easier than Dead Souls, just by virtue of being able to play it with Premium New Game. I went all out on my Dead Souls file and so Extra Hard was a cake walk.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Disappointing me, for starters. :mad:

quote:

Even if Haruka could take part in the host component, she wouldn't get to see digital versions of the girls Sega is currently auditioning to be Miss Yakuza 5. Different from past "audition" promotions, the Miss Yakuza girls are not going to be used as in-game hostesses.

I'm confused. Does this mean that big contest for hostesses won't be hostesses in the game or was this a different contest? :psyduck:

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Have to unlock the last two sidequests in 3 (batting cages and golf :smithicide:). The two things I'm terrible at.

Finished substories, IF7, Hitman, and Coliseum matches and the Amon story won't unlock :argh:

KingShiro fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 7, 2012

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I don't see how people 100% this game; as much as I like it, the minigames get real tedious, I can't imagine doing them over and over. Like once or twice is enough for most of them (not to mention they're recycled between games).

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I don't see how people 100% this game; as much as I like it, the minigames get real tedious, I can't imagine doing them over and over. Like once or twice is enough for most of them (not to mention they're recycled between games).

Addiction is a hell of a thing! Seriously though, I don't know where else I can get a good Pachinko, Mahjong, or Shogi game without paying ridiculous import prices. Those are the main ones I play, anyway. All the others are just gravy. And the items you can get and use in Premium, and...

I'm gonna go play...then get some whiskey.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Woah. There's someone who actually likes the Pachinko?

e: Though I like the Koi-Koi, so I probably shouldn't comment...

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Static Rook posted:

Addiction is a hell of a thing! Seriously though, I don't know where else I can get a good Pachinko, Mahjong, or Shogi game without paying ridiculous import prices. Those are the main ones I play, anyway. All the others are just gravy. And the items you can get and use in Premium, and...

I'm gonna go play...then get some whiskey.

There's a decent iOS game called Mahjongg Police/麻雀警察 if you want it on the go and it's only a couple bucks. But I suppose you wouldn't get in-game rewards for playing it.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

There's a decent iOS game called Mahjongg Police/麻雀警察 if you want it on the go and it's only a couple bucks. But I suppose you wouldn't get in-game rewards for playing it.

I have an Android phone. There's a couple lovely free mahjong apps but nothing good. I'm pretty much reduced to playing those creepy arcade mahjong MAME games and skipping the HAWT HAWT early 90's anime nudity.

And if Sega released a $5 souped up version of VF Pachislot on PSN I'd buy it. Yeah, that's right.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Static Rook posted:

I have an Android phone. There's a couple lovely free mahjong apps but nothing good. I'm pretty much reduced to playing those creepy arcade mahjong MAME games and skipping the HAWT HAWT early 90's anime nudity.

And if Sega released a $5 souped up version of VF Pachislot on PSN I'd buy it. Yeah, that's right.

i'm pretty sure there are some regular ones; the nude ones are all rigged.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Static Rook posted:

I'm pretty much reduced to playing those creepy arcade mahjong MAME games and skipping the HAWT HAWT early 90's anime nudity.

The go-to for mahjong on the internet tends to be Tenhou. A quick google will get you a bunch of translation guides for the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

If you're searching "Mahjong" you've already made the worst mistake. Go copy/paste the Chinese characters for Mahjong then search, you'll find all the hot hot mahjong action you can handle. Some of the games are even in English!

• Locked thread