Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

One of the few spoiler rumors that have actually come out for the live-action show is that the first few episodes will involve time travel in some way that results in it being a different timeline than the OT, Abrams-Star-Trek style.

Personally, I can absolutely buy that.

Oh, so they're going to do exactly what I wish they'd do for the Extended Universe, or exactly what I wish they'd do with future Star Wars movies.

The caveat to both of those ideas, of course, is that George Lucas is not involved. Here, George Lucas is involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know what I'd be really interested in seeing in the EU? If they made Star Wars: Infinities an ongoing concern, kind of like the Marvel What If? series. That would be interesting.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Metal Loaf posted:

You know what I'd be really interested in seeing in the EU? If they made Star Wars: Infinities an ongoing concern, kind of like the Marvel What If? series. That would be interesting.

DN/LotF/FotJ could've been Infinities because the entire loving premise of LotF was "what if Jacen turned to the Dark Side?"

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

:drat:
This is now the largest book, by height and width that I own. It's a "coffee table" book in that you could attach four legs and have yourself a nearly full sized table. I think trying to read it in a chair without some kind of support would be uncomfortable.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cheesus posted:

How many Bothan spies died to get those blueprints?

That is a pretty awesome book. And facinating as well to see how they built it.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 11, 2012

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Now even the fans can steal the Death Star plans!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

It's you. You stole the Death Star plans.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That definitely won't fit on a late 70's tapedisk for insertion into an R2 unit.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Been re-reading the X-Wing books as my pooping entertainment. Allston owns, wasn't there a new Wraith novel due sometime soon?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

movax posted:

Been re-reading the X-Wing books as my pooping entertainment. Allston owns, wasn't there a new Wraith novel due sometime soon?
August 7th

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

August 7th

Pre-ordered so hard. Don't let me down Allston :ohdear:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
After watching a bunch of movies lately on netflix, one thing that I can really appreciate Lucas for is putting his credits at the end. Seriously, that poo poo is so distracting in the opening of movies and I know when I watch the Star Wars movies, I won't have to watch that until the movies done.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

VaultAggie posted:

After watching a bunch of movies lately on netflix, one thing that I can really appreciate Lucas for is putting his credits at the end. Seriously, that poo poo is so distracting in the opening of movies and I know when I watch the Star Wars movies, I won't have to watch that until the movies done.

As I recall Lucas got in trouble with the Directors' Guild for doing that. Apparently they have a rule about putting certain credits at the start.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You can get a pass or exemptions from putting credits out in front if you've got enough clout or are enough of an indie movie maker.

As I recall, the credits issue was what led to Lucas leaving the Director's guild.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The credits issue also kept Spielberg from directing Return of the Jedi if I recall correctly.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pops Mgee posted:

The credits issue also kept Spielberg from directing Return of the Jedi if I recall correctly.

What!? I've never heard this before. But I also doubt it, because he actually did work as an assistant director in Revenge of the Sith. I think the Mustafar lightsaber fight is the part he worked on.

TheCommodore07
Sep 24, 2007

Scallywags on the larboard side! Open Fire!

Chairman Capone posted:

What!? I've never heard this before. But I also doubt it, because he actually did work as an assistant director in Revenge of the Sith. I think the Mustafar lightsaber fight is the part he worked on.

No, it's true. Because he was not a member of the Director's Guild, he could not get Steven Spielberg to direct RotJ, and was forced to select a non-guild member. This was all in Empire of Dreams, one of the "Making of" films.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
Timothy Zahn:

I have a couple of questions about the books, particularly how they're grouped. I'm a sucker for world-building, so any group which expands on events and characters I already know is a bonus. Not that I have any intention of delving into the majority of the EU.

I've read the Old Republic tie-ins, the Rise of Vader 'trilogy' (though the third of these was really awful and I'd rather not have), and Darth Plagueis. This should give you some indication of what I'm after, and what I can tolerate.

I'm now working through, in chronological order, everything by Timothy Zahn, which looks like:
* Outbound Flight
* Allegiance
* Choices of One
* Tatooine Ghost (* I know this isn't a Zahn)
* Heir to the Empire
* Dark Force Rising
* Last Command
* Specter of the Past
* Vision of the Future
* Survivor's Quest

Now, I know that the Thrawn Trilogy is key here, and likely to be the best work, and that the Thrawn Duology is valuable too. I'm a bit unclear on the rest, so questions:

1) Outbound Flight is apparently the prequel to Survivor's Quest. Fine. Wookiepedia says that Tatooine Ghost is apparently a counterpart to Survivor's Quest also. To what degree is this true? I'm not interested too much in whether I can drop it, but anything that it adds to the 'world' of those three novels (and the greater Zahn set of stories) is a plus to me. Also, it apparently involves a good mix of prequel- and original- series folks, and I like the smoothing of those eras. Flimsy question, I know, but what are folks' feelings there?

2) Allegiance and Choices of One apparently make a subset of the Zahn opus also. Obviously they aren't vital, as they were made after, yet set before, the key Thrawn books. But do they add value? Are they at least entertaining, with a little common thread to the remainder?

I'm looking for the fullest experience of the characters created and developed by famously the best SW writer, so any book that achieves that (even Tatooine Ghost, written by another) and helps grow that aspect of the Star Wars world is of value to me.

Oh, and are there any other books outside of those listed which add to the Zahn-created world?

Thanks!

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

TheCommodore07 posted:

No, it's true. Because he was not a member of the Director's Guild, he could not get Steven Spielberg to direct RotJ, and was forced to select a non-guild member. This was all in Empire of Dreams, one of the "Making of" films.

I take everything in Empire of Dreams with a grain of salt.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

EddieDean posted:

1) Outbound Flight is apparently the prequel to Survivor's Quest. Fine. Wookiepedia says that Tatooine Ghost is apparently a counterpart to Survivor's Quest also. To what degree is this true? I'm not interested too much in whether I can drop it, but anything that it adds to the 'world' of those three novels (and the greater Zahn set of stories) is a plus to me. Also, it apparently involves a good mix of prequel- and original- series folks, and I like the smoothing of those eras. Flimsy question, I know, but what are folks' feelings there?

2) Allegiance and Choices of One apparently make a subset of the Zahn opus also. Obviously they aren't vital, as they were made after, yet set before, the key Thrawn books. But do they add value? Are they at least entertaining, with a little common thread to the remainder?

I'm looking for the fullest experience of the characters created and developed by famously the best SW writer, so any book that achieves that (even Tatooine Ghost, written by another) and helps grow that aspect of the Star Wars world is of value to me.

Oh, and are there any other books outside of those listed which add to the Zahn-created world?

Thanks!

Tatooine Ghost is the counterpart to Survivor's Quest in that, while SQ focuses on Luke and Mara's relationship without Han/Leia, Tatooine Ghost focuses on Han and Leia's relationship without Luke. There's no plot crossover. However, you may still want to read TG as it serves as a prequel of sorts to Heir to the Empire (establishing Han and Leia's relationship and featuring Thrawn and Pellaeon at the start of their campaign).

As for other books that really build off of/are connected to Zahn's works...Rogue Planet isn't that great of a book, but Outbound Flight is basically a sequel to it in all but name, so you might want to read that first. Also, Michael Stackpole's I, Jedi is set years earlier, but was conceived as a counterpart to Specter of the Past/Vision of the Future, so you may also want to read that (it in particular sets up the Caamas plot point from Zahn's later works, and also gives some context to Corran Horn and Booster Terrik's appearances in the later works). Similarly, Stackpole's X-wing: Isard's Revenge begins during the final battle from The Last Command and shows how the New Republic reacts to the aftermath of Thrawn's invasion, so that might be interesting for you. The Isard plotline also might help tie into a revelation from the end of Vision of the Future for you.

Those are the main books I can think of that most directly 'expand' on Zahn's own works. Obviously a lot of other authors build off his creations given how the EU works but none are quite that integrated as the above. Stackpole's X-wing books/comics are probably the closest, since the two are good friends and borrowed a lot from each other.

As for Allegiance/Choices of One...Personally, I thought Allegiance was the weakest of Zahn's SW works. But if you're interested in seeing what Mara was like as an Imperial agent at the peak of her prowess, it's good for that. It also sets up the Mara/Vader rivalry and sets up one of the main villains from Specter of the Past/Vision of the Future. I haven't read Choices of One yet but I've heard a lot of good things about it, and it includes Thrawn, so I would say to go for it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I thought Allegiance and Choices of One were both fun reads.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

PERFECT response! Thankyou, that's exactly the kind of information I was after. Looks like I'll be reading I, Jedi and Rogue Planet soon, then, and probably the whole X-Wing series once I'm done with the Thrawns.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

The Isard plotline also might help tie into a revelation from the end of Vision of the Future for you.

I don't remember this, wanna spoiler-tag post it for me?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

astr0man posted:

Yeah, I think those are the perfect EU novels. Something short and fun with characters that we like and has the movie characters acting like they are supposed to. It's a welcome change from all the other EU novels which take themselves too seriously and try to be part of some epic, galaxy changing plot with a bad guy who was even worse than the last.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

astr0man posted:

I agree, but I also enjoyed the Mara Jade: Emperor's Hand comic series too. Pre-HttE Jade reads like Mission Impossible meets Star Wars. :allears:

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Was Allegiance the one where Mara catches Vader Space-Googling Luke?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Muppetjedi posted:

Was Allegiance the one where Mara catches Vader Space-Googling Luke?

Yeah, Vader also has that temper tantrum which I found more in line with how OT Vader acted than anything he did in Rise of the Dark Lord.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Pops Mgee posted:

:psyduck:

For years my brother and I used to talk about how cool it would have been if Spielberg had done Jedi instead of Richard Marquand. If anyone else had directed that movie. I still remember scratching my head at the news that Marquand had been selected.

Peter Hyams would've been another interesting choice. Anything to keep it from looking like poo poo, the way it wound up.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

In Lucasfilm news...

Lucasfilm Names Kathleen Kennedy Co-Chair As Successor To George Lucas

Deadline.com posted:

Kathleen Kennedy has been named co-chair of Lucasfilm. Founder George Lucas will become co-chair of the company’s board and stay on as CEO. Kennedy’s announcement comes on the heels of the Star Wars creator’s musings about retiring from the company to make more experimental films. “George and I have talked about the enormous opportunities that lie ahead for the company, and as George moves towards retirement I am honored that he trusts me with taking care of the beloved film franchises,” Kennedy said in the release that just went out.

The full press release is in the link. So he's still on board for now as co-chair, but is moving towards retiring. Any chance some new interesting Star Wars stuff could come out of this?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

In Lucasfilm news...

Lucasfilm Names Kathleen Kennedy Co-Chair As Successor To George Lucas

The full press release is in the link. So he's still on board for now as co-chair, but is moving towards retiring. Any chance some new interesting Star Wars stuff could come out of this?

Does anyone honestly believe he's going to not be involved in anything major that includes the Star Wars name?

We'll have to wait for death's icy one-armed grip to shuffle Lucas off this mortal coil before any new Star Wars movies/tv shows appear without his influence.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm honestly surprised it wasn't his daughter.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Thwomp posted:

Does anyone honestly believe he's going to not be involved in anything major that includes the Star Wars name?

We'll have to wait for death's icy one-armed grip to shuffle Lucas off this mortal coil before any new Star Wars movies/tv shows appear without his influence.

I do. He just brought on the most successful producer in the movie business to run his legacy. I think he wants to move on, collect his money and tinker around in his garage.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

arioch posted:

I don't remember this, wanna spoiler-tag post it for me?

I assume he's referring to how the Isard Clone plot which allows for the Baron Fel clones and the Imperial Guard/Thrawn Clone whose name I can't place plots more background and grounding in Imperial doctrince and generally have more presence that isn't just tying to the plot of the Thrawn Trilogy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EddieDean posted:

Timothy Zahn:

There are a couple of other Zahn-written Mara Jade stories that come to mind, but they're only included in anthologies as far as I know. There's one in the Tales From Jabba's Palace book (the title of the story itself escapes me) which features her deep undercover as a dancer in Jabba's palace in ROTJ, and there's a comic called "Mara Jade: A Night On the Town" in the first Star Wars Tales TPB. They're both good stories, but they're not really essential. For completionists only, you might say.

Speaking of Zahn, he included a few pretty cool allusions to the Clone Wars in his books. It's too bad that things didn't turn out differently.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Metal Loaf posted:

There are a couple of other Zahn-written Mara Jade stories that come to mind, but they're only included in anthologies as far as I know. There's one in the Tales From Jabba's Palace book (the title of the story itself escapes me) which features her deep undercover as a dancer in Jabba's palace in ROTJ, and there's a comic called "Mara Jade: A Night On the Town" in the first Star Wars Tales TPB. They're both good stories, but they're not really essential. For completionists only, you might say.

Speaking of Zahn, he included a few pretty cool allusions to the Clone Wars in his books. It's too bad that things didn't turn out differently.

Her first meeting with Karrde is in "Tales of the Empire" as well, if I recall. Also not a bad story and also not essential.

And yeah, Zahn's take on the clone wars would have almost certainly been more entertaining than what we got. Mind you, nine hours of a donkey farting the Imperial March would have been more entertaining than what we got, so there's that.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Fil5000 posted:

Mind you, nine hours of a donkey farting the Imperial March would have been more entertaining than what we got, so there's that.

That actually sounds pretty entertaining on its own, to be honest. BRRRRRRP BRRRRRRP BRRRRRP BRRRRRRRR-BRRR-BRRRRRRP BRRP BRRR-BRRRRRP~

movax
Aug 30, 2008

karmicknight posted:

I assume he's referring to how the Isard Clone plot which allows for the Baron Fel clones and the Imperial Guard/Thrawn Clone whose name I can't place plots more background and grounding in Imperial doctrince and generally have more presence that isn't just tying to the plot of the Thrawn Trilogy.

Major Tierce?

Fil5000 posted:

Her first meeting with Karrde is in "Tales of the Empire" as well, if I recall. Also not a bad story and also not essential.

And yeah, Zahn's take on the clone wars would have almost certainly been more entertaining than what we got. Mind you, nine hours of a donkey farting the Imperial March would have been more entertaining than what we got, so there's that.

I was so let down upon seeing what the Clone Wars were from Lucas vs. what Zahn had written them like in the books. You could tell who the Star Wars nerds were because they walked out of the theater going "the gently caress, the clones are good guys?" My mental picture of the Clone Wars so infinitely superior to what we got.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think there was some sort of moratorium on including too many details for the Clone Wars time period because that was the setting that Lucas was planning to use for the prequel movies. That's why the most Zahn could really say about it was Pellaeon mentioning that he fought an army of rogue clones fifty years earlier. Overall, this probably worked to the benefit of the Thrawn trilogy because it lended to stories the same "lived-in" sensibility as the original movies, if that makes sense.

It's always interesting to see how the EU treated the backstory before the prequels and so on came out.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Anyone else hoping this 1313 may be that original trilogy open world RPG some of us have been pining for?

I mean, I know the chances are happening are slim but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
As long as it's not a giant Boba Fett/Mandalorian circle jerk it might be OK. It's not like star wars video games can get any worse after TFU.