Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Personally I don't even care too much if the feature actually works - I don't need it badly enough to request the feature be fixed.

I'm more put-off that the ability to edit a hard disk during template deployment has been there for 4+ years, broken the whole time. Moreover, it's broken in a way that isn't immediately obvious, is ugly to fix and/or requires a call to support to have them un-gently caress your template and VM. At this point I'd be happy if they just let you edit memory/vCPU/cores, since that stuff seems to work fine, and just removed the hard disk piece. Leaving flaky, buggy features in like that is just not what I think most people expect from VMware.

edit: :ninja: got another reply from support saying they sourced a recent, active Problem Report and a fix is expected in v5.0 U2 of the vSphere client - alternatively it might work properly already in the vCenter web UI.

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah, those are good points. And sorry for the thread-jacking, everyone.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004V49JGW...KK85G6ZTGTH9ENP

THE HA and DRS yellow book is FREE, best get it before they run out.

Yes it is for 4.1 but still a good book

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
By Epping? Yeah, better get it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Would anyone care, or would want me to post up some similar projects that I deal with at work? Just so people who don't have too much VM experience can see the things that come up day-to-day? Sorta like simlabs, but just real world scenarios of if you got a job as a vmware engineer/admin what you might see.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
^^^^ I'd be interested.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004V49JGW...KK85G6ZTGTH9ENP

THE HA and DRS yellow book is FREE, best get it before they run out.

Yes it is for 4.1 but still a good book

Awesome. Thanks.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
I recently got a promotion and am now in charge of the entire infrastructure at work. We're a pretty much 100% Microsoft shop, so we have a pretty comprehensive Hyper-V system in place. It is also now my problem any time poo poo hits any sort of rotating device.

Having drunk deep from the Hyper-V keg of Flavor-aid, I've recently rolled my own rackmount VM host in order to gently caress with all of that Hyper-V poo poo without ending up taking down production poo poo that may or may not cost me my job.

Time to see how big a clusterfuck of a microsoft network I can piece together with 64gb of memory and a 3930K.

Also, unrelated to virtualization, but the Systemcenter series of products are the sweetest loving thing ever once you get them configured and know what you're doing.

One actual question: What do you guys do for an offsite disaster recovery site? We're looking at setting one up for business continuity in the case of fire/earthquake/volcanic implosion, and aside from setting up a DFS replication group and using DPM to Disk to Disk system state backup all our VMs, I can't think of what else we'd need to do.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

Would anyone care, or would want me to post up some similar projects that I deal with at work? Just so people who don't have too much VM experience can see the things that come up day-to-day? Sorta like simlabs, but just real world scenarios of if you got a job as a vmware engineer/admin what you might see.
Do it so we can make fun of your storage planning! :laugh:

I kid, I kid. Sounds good.

In other news, the entire central virtual infrastructure at our uni just poo poo the bed. This happened 4 hours ago, and they're still not up. These are the people who got mad when I told them "thanks but no thanks, I'll roll my own" not so long ago.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

One actual question: What do you guys do for an offsite disaster recovery site? We're looking at setting one up for business continuity in the case of fire/earthquake/volcanic implosion, and aside from setting up a DFS replication group and using DPM to Disk to Disk system state backup all our VMs, I can't think of what else we'd need to do.
15mn snapshots async-replicated to DR site, and a spare ESXi host for essential services.

Test the poo poo out of your DR plan. Don't cheat (you don't get to touch anything on the protected site once the test starts. Hope you printed your plan and passwords).

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 25, 2012

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I'm actually really looking forward to Windows Server 2012 and Hyper-V v3 for this, because I plan to use Hyper-V Replica for off-site disaster recovery, in addition to file-level backups of the VM contents. Here's a good write up on it: http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=12147

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If you have $77,000 and a good relationship with EMC, you can implement off-site vMotion. There's your disaster planning!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Some stuff like Exchange and SQL can be better to replicate at the application level, but yeah, most of our stuff is all SAN-level replication with a few virtual hosts on the other side.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
After trying to install Windows Server 2008 R2 on an ESXi box (and causing it to crash horribly) my roommate suggested that I instead use VMware Player to create the virtual machine, then use VMware vCenter Converter to transfer it to ESXi. Worked flawlessly. We're still not sure why the box would crash whenever I tried installing Windows Server 2008 R2, but at least I've finally got my VMs setup and can now work with them while gaining some experience working with a VMware product.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'd be more interested in troubleshooting that than working around it, to be honest. That's home lab, right there. If you're not troubleshooting it, you're just building a VM you've got no use for.

My own lab is having a 2 for 1 sale on iSCSI paths today, so that's pretty exciting. I had one storage port routed to one vmnic, which gave me 1 path. I then added another storage port and another vmnic, disabled teaming, and associated each port with its own vmnic and that gives me... 3 paths! On 2 ports and 2 vmnics, I have 3 paths. Huzzah, I say.

The third path is to a bottle of aged 12 year Chivas Regal, I am sure.

e:

3 paths on 2 ports, wuheva, wuheva, I do what I want!

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 26, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'd be more interested in troubleshooting that than working around it, to be honest. That's home lab, right there. If you're not troubleshooting it, you're just building a VM you've got no use for.

My own lab is having a 2 for 1 sale on iSCSI paths today, so that's pretty exciting. I had one storage port routed to one vmnic, which gave me 1 path. I then added another storage port and another vmnic, disabled teaming, and associated each port with its own vmnic and that gives me... 3 paths! On 2 ports and 2 vmnics, I have 3 paths. Huzzah, I say.

The third path is to a bottle of aged 12 year Chivas Regal, I am sure.

e:

3 paths on 2 ports, wuheva, wuheva, I do what I want!
Nice work dude

Just realize you still have a SPoF but learning the fundamentals of multipathing is a good skill to have keep it up

E: posting actual projects a vmware engineer has tomorrow keep an eye out

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Believe me I'd love to, but the box runs my roommate's Linux file server, controls the media server, firewall, and access to the internet. He tested the hardware and couldn't find any problems, and when I tried to install Windows Server 2008 R2 again it crashed the box. At that point we sort of threw up our hands and went the alternate route since nothing else we installed had any issues.

At this point we've got 2 Windows 2008 R2 servers, a Smoothwall server, a Minecraft server, a Linux fileserver and another Linux system running on the ESXi box. Only 15% of the RAM is in use, and the cpu is holding steady at 20% utilization, and other than my Windows Server installation attempts, the box has been rock solid.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
do ya'll want some break scripts?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Oh you meant it crashed the whole box, not the VM, eep, yeah I feel ya

What's the least painful way to enable or fake CPU virtualization in a nested VM? I've got it enabled in the BIOS, but there's Google-confirmed issues with it translating from BIOS -> Workstation -> ESXi -> 64-bit OS, and ESXi is pitching a giant fit about my installing a 64-bit OS. And I mean, it won't even let me.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh you meant it crashed the whole box, not the VM, eep, yeah I feel ya

What's the least painful way to enable or fake CPU virtualization in a nested VM? I've got it enabled in the BIOS, but there's Google-confirmed issues with it translating from BIOS -> Workstation -> ESXi -> 64-bit OS, and ESXi is pitching a giant fit about my installing a 64-bit OS. And I mean, it won't even let me.

download workstation 2012
https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sugexp=chrome,mod=10&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=workstation+2012

then virtualize intel-vt or amd-v

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Sorry, it needs to work in Workstation 8 - I'll keep googling

-------

Got it, on each ESXi host, go to settings, hardware tab, processors, and under virtualization engine click "virtualize intel vt-x/ept"

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 26, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Corvettefisher posted:

do ya'll want some break scripts?
Why yes, we do!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Why yes, we do!

K, I'll write some powercli to build an environment first otherwise some of my scripts might not work

Anyone here use Virtual Distributed switches for anything other than VM network traffic management? Normally I let the physical box have it's own vmkernel for iscsi, vmotion, and only do VM net traffic through the VD switch but I am seeing a good number of boxes routing everything but management via VD switch. I am trying to find the best practices for VD switch so I can see how wrong/right I am doing things. Even in my VCAP-DCA class we left the iscsi/vmotion vmkernel on the esxi host then did VM traffic via VDS

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
We run everything except management off of a dvswitch.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
If I'm using 10gbe then I'll use the vDS and NIOC to manage traffic since I'm sharing the two 10 gig uplinks among all my different traffic. This of course assumes I'm not using something that lets me carve that 10 gig NIC into virtual NICs. If I am then I just create a pair of NICs for management traffic and if applicable storage to put on standard vSwitches.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 30, 2013

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Dude, gently caress Joffrey.
(I hope that's not an important VM or anything. HATE)

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's a domain controller, because he controls the domain, god

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who considers formulaic, purpose-driven hostnames sexier than anything form popular culture :(

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Martytoof posted:

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who considers formulaic, purpose-driven hostnames sexier than anything form popular culture :(

No, I do too. Pop-reference junk might be funny for a year until you no longer care about the reference, but a good name will be meaningful long after you're gone.

Of course if it's a home network, go nuts, but that goes without saying

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
here is a demo of stuff I see day to day

This isn't all you do, but I left 4 of the major objectives for you all to come up with.

E: goons inc. has 3 backbone 24port gig switches with 20 ports open across all 3 switches

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Corvettefisher posted:

here is a demo of stuff I see day to day

This isn't all you do, but I left 4 of the major objectives for you all to come up with.

E: goons inc. has 3 backbone 24port gig switches with 20 ports open across all 3 switches

You find new storage solutions and do hardware acquisitions day-to-day?

It's clear you're very excited about virtualization, but I think you need to step back and re-assess where you think you are at a skill level, especially in regards to the advice you give.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
A step in the right direction would be correcting the errors in the OP

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I am not quite as anti, but dude just understand that is the kind of question someone spends a month on the phone with vendors and gets paid a lot to do so. I thought you were gonna ask like, hey vmotion isn't working what are the first three things you check. You are basically trying to ask us to design your storage solution.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

three posted:

It's clear you're very excited about virtualization, but I think you need to step back and re-assess where you think you are at a skill level, especially in regards to the advice you give.

No kidding. This is a project you take months to plan and test. I hope this isn't a "once a day ordeal" or there are going to be some really pissed off people out there.

Rule #1 of Consulting: Everyone Lies

It's going to take you a while to figure out what they really want

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Syano posted:

A step in the right direction would be correcting the errors in the OP

Seconding this. A simple cleanup would be a good start.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Why shouldn't I migrate from vSwitches to dvSwitch? What shouldn't be moved to vSwitch

Currently I have 3 vSwitches per ESXi: one for management traffic and vMotion, one for VM "production" traffic and one for iSCSI (VMs don't see iSCSI, they only see datastores). Each vSwitch is teamed to 2 NICs. I've got 4 ESXis currently in the same cluster, all with Enterprise+ licenses connected to vCenter.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
If you've got Enterprise+, there's really no good reason I know of not to use dvSwitches for VM traffic. They offer some nice features outside of the ease-of-management (e.g. port mirroring, netflow, bidirectional traffic shaping).

Some people are paranoid about putting any management traffic on a dvSwitch, since you can't manage a dvSwitch if vCenter takes a poo poo.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Double-post ahoy! If you have a host running ESXi 4.1 embedded with the image from Dell, can you upgrade to 5.0 using VUM with the standard VMware repos?

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I will warn you: if your MSSQL database goes tits up you can expect some interesting things on your dvSwitches such as entire VLANs that just stop passing traffic making the VMs using them go off the grid. Everything will return to normal once you get MSSQL back on its legs.

This is something we've experienced that the VMWare engineers said is "impossible"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Mierdaan posted:

Double-post ahoy! If you have a host running ESXi 4.1 embedded with the image from Dell, can you upgrade to 5.0 using VUM with the standard VMware repos?

Yes, but you lose the OpenManage capability.