Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Ha, I knew those looked like warped bone. O no Anthony, I hope Zimmy is wrong.

Finally, Zimmy with those red points in her eyes looks very sinister.

Edit: Does this mean Anthony is a necromancer? Could he be trying to take Annie's fire to get Surma back. :ohdear:

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Chapter 29: Maybe her dad isn't so bad after all.
Chapter 30: Okay, now he's gotta die.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Uh oh. That pigeon is gonna wreck poo poo.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tea-san posted:

I'm thinking like £20 or so!

Do not undersell yourself / your products.

A student posted:

Chapter 29: Maybe her dad isn't so bad after all.
Chapter 30: Okay, now he's gotta die.

Well we don't know if it's his fault or if it's something she did re: her dad. Like it's entirely possible this is A Thing that happened because she stuck her blinkerstone in the rocket or whatever, which would still have to do with her father.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm enjoying these episodes of Zimmy McCrazypants, Paranormal Investigator

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

The bones go way off into the sky? I'm getting the feeling that Annie really did try to piggyback her blinker stone on that rocket.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Welp, Tony manages to be the worst dad even when he's not even physically there.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DekeThornton posted:

You really should put a few pieces up at some online auction to get a feel for where the market value is currently.

This sounds like a super excellent idea! You should do this my fine author/artist guy!

These in particular I think you could sell mega lots of if you have made prints! But my knowledge about the webcomic art market is super below average, so I don't know.

However, I'm sure these canvas pieces in particular would go for ultra many amounts of money. I would think at least 70 euro-guineas, or whatever you're using over there on that silly island!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 25, 2012

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?
We're still on GBP, not on the sinking Euro boat.

Is it just me, or are we no closer to finding out why Annie is unconcious?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Aaaaa want. I would pay hundreds of euros for this.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I just got my copy of book 1, after... a little over two months. Customs sat on it for weeks on end and then randomly decided to charge me extra. :mad:

It's really nice, though. I hope volume 2 is going to exist again at some point, as I'm that guy who hates having a gap in his books.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Osmosisch posted:

I would pay hundreds of euros for this.

To be fair, that's like £30 now. :suicide:

:smith:

Froodulous posted:

Is it just me, or are we no closer to finding out why Annie is unconcious?

Really? I predict we should finally have some clue on what's going on in the next two updates.

Either way, Anthony Carver is the worst dad, every day, every year.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't think this is the blinker stone being far away. We've never seen this bone projection from astral projection before. Also, Anja would be expected to know what to do, and not have to bring in Zimmy.

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.
There are five shafts of bone. Very elongated fingers?

(I have never successfully guessed a Gunnerkrigg plot development.)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Fangz posted:

I don't think this is the blinker stone being far away. We've never seen this bone projection from astral projection before. Also, Anja would be expected to know what to do, and not have to bring in Zimmy.

I agree; I imagine that the bone restraints represent something Anthony did to repress Annie's fire elemental aspect. Not necessarily anything having to do with her maybe putting the blinker stone in the rocket, but rather something from before she even came to the Court that has been affecting her since the beginning of the story.

Also, Zimmy's eyes :ohdear:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Froodulous posted:

We're still on GBP, not on the sinking Euro boat.

Ah, the Guinea-Bissau Peso. A prudent and also wise investment, my charming and citrusy fellow! I did not know that the right honorable Green & Pleasant Isle had relocated.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 25, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think whatever this is isn't Anthony's doing. I think it is something Annie has subconsciously put on herself because of him.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

DekeThornton posted:

For the Ink Washes? Sounds a bit low. I'd probably pay double that at least. How large are they? You really should put a few pieces up at some online auction to get a feel for where the market value is currently.
Yeah, I agree. You have to make each of those by hand, right? And the hair on that Annie looks way too good to have been a quick job. Unless that thing is way smaller than it looks, 20 brit-bucks seems pretty low. You oughta give yourself a mental pay rate and roughly calculate prices based on how long something takes you. Or if you're already doing that, you're cheating yourself. Or you work inhumanly fast, in which case I will have one of each, please.

It's one thing to sell prints at a somewhat low price, since you can bring lots of those to the con and you want to entice many people to buy them because you don't really lose anything so long as you're above the printing cost. But something you can only sell once? Even if a price feels high there's almost certainly gonna be SOMEBODY who will buy it; this is a con after all. It's people with disposible income. You gotta hold out for Mister or Missus Right.

Speaking of cons, have you thought about going to American ones now that you're a full-time webcomicer? Because there's this here Dragon-Con coming up soon and I live in Atlanta, so it sure would be great...

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Zenzirouj posted:

Speaking of cons, have you thought about going to American ones now that you're a full-time webcomicer? Because there's this here Dragon-Con coming up soon and I live in Atlanta, so it sure would be great...

Please come to America so we can all fling money at you. :911:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

So Anthony isn't an ice elemental, he's a bone elemental. I guess that explains why he acts so boneheaded.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Hey Tom, are you gonna start taking commissions?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Nettle Soup posted:

Hey Tom, are you gonna start taking commissions?

O. I'd love it if he would start taking commissions.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm watching the news for reports of a artist drowning in money after selling more things online, Tom. Make sure they pay using credit!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Tea-san posted:

I'm thinking like £20 or so!

Agreed with previous sentiments, £20 seems like you would be shorting yourself. I don't know the size of the paintings but considering that ham-fisted people on Deviantart can seem to get paid $50 or more for a piece, you certainly deserve more than just £20.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Hmm, I should rethink my pricing structure, I guess. I never know what will sell at a con so I tend to price things down.

But yes, I will be starting commissions soon! I want to get this con out of the way first before I think of other things, but that's not far away. I'd even like to offer ink wash commissions as well. A whole range.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Tea-san posted:

Hmm, I should rethink my pricing structure, I guess. I never know what will sell at a con so I tend to price things down.

But yes, I will be starting commissions soon! I want to get this con out of the way first before I think of other things, but that's not far away. I'd even like to offer ink wash commissions as well. A whole range.

You've got two days to sell them, too. You can always start high and lower it in the afternoon/next day (I can almost guarantee that will not be necessary and if you end up having to then that con is full of classless plebians). But hell, even if I had never seen your comic before I would buy a bunch of those if they were that cheap. And I'm stingy as heck.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

AlexG posted:

There are five shafts of bone. Very elongated fingers?

(I have never successfully guessed a Gunnerkrigg plot development.)

They look a lot more like finger bones than any other human bones.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm leaning towards her sneaking the blinker stone onto that satellite and the range messing things up. But I'm probably completely wrong.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Oneiros posted:

I agree; I imagine that the bone restraints represent something Anthony did to repress Annie's fire elemental aspect. Not necessarily anything having to do with her maybe putting the blinker stone in the rocket, but rather something from before she even came to the Court that has been affecting her since the beginning of the story.

Also, Zimmy's eyes :ohdear:

Could be the cure he was working on for Surma. He's too late for her but not for Annie. Neutralize the fire elemental part of her = she won't pass it on to her children = she won't die.

Of course, if that's the case it's not working great, but can you blame Anthony for trying?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Tea-san posted:

Talk to some of your peers; specifically, some of your peers that are currently successfully making a living from their art. See what they're charging and ask their advice. They're the best qualified to advise you on this.

quantum_squirrel
Aug 9, 2006
I bet my money it has to do with the blinker stone. My theory is that she has activated one of her fathers security devices against magical spying on him. We saw in the last chapter that the court wants to trace him and that he takes extreme measures to not give away his position. Maybe the trap targets especially the strongest part of magic in person, which would be in Annie's fire elemental. So I give Anthony the benefit of doubt.

To look forwards: Does this mean they must visit the satelite .... IN SPACE? I wonder how far Parley can bip.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

quantum_squirrel posted:

To look forwards: Does this mean they must visit the satelite .... IN SPACE? I wonder how far Parley can bip.

I think either her or Smitty have to be familiar with an area, or at least have someone to describe the area like Kat did. My point is that they're gonna need a rocket ship built by Dr. Disaster and Donny. Science officer Anja, ship counselor Jones, head of security Jimmy Jims...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Would it be like TOS Star Trek or TNG Star Trek ?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zenzirouj posted:

I think either her or Smitty have to be familiar with an area, or at least have someone to describe the area like Kat did. My point is that they're gonna need a rocket ship built by Dr. Disaster and Donny. Science officer Anja, ship counselor Jones, head of security Jimmy Jims...

Jimmy Jims definitely seems like the kind of guy who gets blasted across the room to play up how badass the evil plutonian noodnicks are this week

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tom, for pricing your art, I would recommend you set some of them aside and sell them by silent auction, or something of a similar nature. This will help you determine the maximum price for this sort of piece, which will be useful information.

For the others, pretend you paid yourself a comfortable hourly wage for making them, and sell at 50% to 100% more than what they "cost" you, including materials. If you sell out quickly, then you'll know you need to increase the price next time. Every time you find you can't keep up with demand, redouble your prices.

If you're concerned about putting the prices too high for some of your audiences, then in addition to maintaining a broad spectrum of prices (put less markup on the smaller ones, for instance), then start selling reproductions.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bongo Bill posted:

Tom, for pricing your art, I would recommend you set some of them aside and sell them by silent auction, or something of a similar nature. This will help you determine the maximum price for this sort of piece, which will be useful information.

For the others, pretend you paid yourself a comfortable hourly wage for making them, and sell at 50% to 100% more than what they "cost" you, including materials. If you sell out quickly, then you'll know you need to increase the price next time. Every time you find you can't keep up with demand, redouble your prices.

If you're concerned about putting the prices too high for some of your audiences, then in addition to maintaining a broad spectrum of prices (put less markup on the smaller ones, for instance), then start selling reproductions.

This, all the way. Don't undersell yourself. At the risk of sounding like a shampoo advert, you're worth it.

I'd buy it, if I had wall space to hang it. In a heartbeat.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
How difficult is it to / what's the process to make prints of a canvas painting?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm no businessman, but I'd suggest that Tom be sure to sell a range of stuff at different price points. I mean, even if the fans are willing to pay more, I'd point out that products at cons have a value in terms of promotion/good will generation etc so it'd still be good to have some things cheap for people new to the comic to impulse buy.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I almost offered you £30 + shipping to near Manchester for one like that grey Annie, but it felt too much like I'd be ripping you off. :v: Would be nice to see how big they actually are though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

To succeed as a professional artist requires knowing the value of your name and your time. Many artists don't know what their inspiration is worth and don't need to, but you can't get away with not knowing what your reputation and effort are worth. The sooner and more accurately you determine that, the better, both for you and for your customers.

By working on Gunnerkrigg Court, you've invested heavily in your skills and your brand; we in this thread know you work as hard as anybody, and it shows in your continuing improvement, which has attracted many thousands of devoted readers. Throw out that old spider-fired engine, because the fruits of your years of work has been to produce a very efficient mechanism for converting time into money.