Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Gazpacho posted:

haha

bwahahahahaha

i think u mean

hoHA HA HA HA HA HA HAHA AHHAHAHAHA

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

yaoi prophet posted:

one of my favorite classes i ever took was how technology influences the way people communicate, we covered stuff like why people still say 'hi this is X' even though caller ID makes it pointless (it's to make sure that the other person can hear you and can respond)

when answering i always use an informal greeting if i know who it is, formal if it's work or an unknown number. seems to work

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
IT's always on groups like ours to open up our systems so they can implement their bigass enterprise "service oriented architecture" and they're always telling us we should do it because it worked so well for amazon and a few other companies

is this a thing and what was amazon successful at exactly, because when I think of their non-ecom services the word clusterfuck comes to mind

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
I heard amazon people like message queues a lot.

The amazon/soa thing is allegedly that bezos realised something like conway's law, and that they had to get the team structures/lines of communication right so the architecture would follow.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
could always read that huge yegge rant to get an idea of what they did

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

I heard amazon people like message queues a lot.

The amazon/soa thing is allegedly that bezos realised something like conway's law, and that they had to get the team structures/lines of communication right so the architecture would follow.
soa ftw. I bet amazons service stuff is way cool. Too bad they don't have any ui guys. Maybe they should hire qirex

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Internaut! posted:

IT's always on groups like ours to open up our systems so they can implement their bigass enterprise "service oriented architecture" and they're always telling us we should do it because it worked so well for amazon and a few other companies

is this a thing and what was amazon successful at exactly, because when I think of their non-ecom services the word clusterfuck comes to mind
I'll answer this with a serious post.

Amazon in its early stage focused on doing whatever was necessary to scale up its business in the short term. The code produced by this was a set of monolithic Unix applications supplemented by various crons and message handling daemons, all touching the databases in arbitrary ways. One good thing Bezos did several years ago (after pushing people to do bad things for years) was to order everyone to put their persistent operations behind contractual services called over the network. This means that whenever an app has to touch a database in a new way, it has to cross a definite architectural boundary and a contract must be written for the new operation. Also this encourages people to implement services in such a way that they can be scaled up by throwing hardware at them.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 24, 2012

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ya that poo poo rules and i love to design and implement SOA

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
*writes a SOA to define the locations of and contracts between other SOAs*

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

*writes a SOA to define the locations of and contracts between other SOAs*

http://www.mulesoft.org/galaxy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mule is cool. never used galaxy tho

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

mule is cool. never used galaxy tho

literally does exactly what you just wrote

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i gathered that from the description.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
k cool

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
https://plus.google.com/112678702228711889851/posts/eVeouesvaVX

quote:

So one day Jeff Bezos issued a mandate. He's doing that all the time, of course, and people scramble like ants being pounded with a rubber mallet whenever it happens. But on one occasion -- back around 2002 I think, plus or minus a year -- he issued a mandate that was so out there, so huge and eye-bulgingly ponderous, that it made all of his other mandates look like unsolicited peer bonuses.

His Big Mandate went something along these lines:

1) All teams will henceforth expose their data and functionality through service interfaces.

2) Teams must communicate with each other through these interfaces.

3) There will be no other form of interprocess communication allowed: no direct linking, no direct reads of another team's data store, no shared-memory model, no back-doors whatsoever. The only communication allowed is via service interface calls over the network.

4) It doesn't matter what technology they use. HTTP, Corba, Pubsub, custom protocols -- doesn't matter. Bezos doesn't care.

5) All service interfaces, without exception, must be designed from the ground up to be externalizable. That is to say, the team must plan and design to be able to expose the interface to developers in the outside world. No exceptions.

6) Anyone who doesn't do this will be fired.

7) Thank you; have a nice day!

Ha, ha! You 150-odd ex-Amazon folks here will of course realize immediately that #7 was a little joke I threw in, because Bezos most definitely does not give a poo poo about your day.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Shaggar posted:

soa ftw. I bet amazons service stuff is way cool. Too bad they don't have any ui guys. Maybe they should hire qirex

apparently bezos is a big angry baby who had UI teams in countless times and just kept asking them to change things until they gave him back his old site again and then he was happy

a happy baby

the silliest yoga pose

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
i'm sure they at least do A/B testing. i hope

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ya this poo poo rules

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ahhh spiders posted:

i'm sure they at least do A/B testing. i hope
*snort*

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

i think this is kinda dependent on whether or not you grew up with caller id. most of us did so we just know who's calling before we answer, but my grandparents didn't have it so they always say "hi ulysses this is your grandpa/grandma!" when they call me

I sure didn't grow up with caller ID, possibly this came later in Europe than the US but I can't imagine there's too many adults who are actually had caller ID all the way through childhood.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
my dad refuses to pay for call display on his iphone

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Gazpacho posted:

haha

bwahahahahaha

it's way more laid back than SIG so take what you want from that

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

ahhh spiders posted:

pay for call display

:what:

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

he has some family plan & rogers wireless likes to nickel and dime. it costs extra on my bell plan too but i just pay for it because why wouldn't you want call display

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

oh, rogers

lol

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

apparently in america they filter the caller display out of the signal sent to the mobile and make you pay if you want it back

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
also you have to pay to receive texts whats that all about

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

if someone not in my phonebook calls me im probably not gonna pick up so i guess its a pointless thing regardless

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

CaptainMeatpants posted:

if someone not in my phonebook calls me im probably not gonna pick up so i guess its a pointless thing regardless

same & i basically just use my phone as an internet machine and keep in touch with friends using whatsapp

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Char posted:

competition

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

JawnV6 posted:

eh, when i want things to happen within ns it's not like i can toss it through an OS or w/e

yeah when i try to boot windows in a presi simulation env it takes AGES

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Char posted:

apparently in america they filter the caller display out of the signal sent to the mobile and make you pay if you want it back

thats canada not amurrica

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Char posted:

uh that signal isn't free you know!!!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

yaoi prophet posted:

nah it goes back to at&t monopoly regulations that every service has to be offered as a separate and optional product

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

i probably would have been super pissed if i had to do this but in hindsight it was a really really good move

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

yaoi prophet posted:

you can't, like, own a signal

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

nah it goes back to at&t monopoly regulations that every service has to be offered as a separate and optional product

{{citation needed}}

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just discovered perl -d

the skiez have opened....

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

perl -de0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef