Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Blackchamber posted:

I have a question about the ABS plastic used in 3D printing, and that is: Are all abs plastics the same?

While looking around online I've seen spools of it called different things, 'natural abs' or 'abs filament' and so on. I've also seen price differences on what appears to me to be all the same.

Also where is a good place to order it online?

For the most part they are the same I think.
Natural just refers to the color, which means there is no added dye, it just looks kinda off-white. That said, the dyes allegedly can change the characteristics of the filament like melting point somewhat. For example a colored filament might have a slightly different temperature at which it prints best compared to natural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Colour absolutely modifies the physical properties of a plastic, it's unavoidable. That said, you or I would probably never notice the differences, the additives are chosen for minimal interference, along the lines of 0.5% differences in elasticity, modulus etc.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Blackchamber posted:

I have a question about the ABS plastic used in 3D printing, and that is: Are all abs plastics the same?

Absolutely not.

Let's compare ABS to another plastic: HDPE. HDPE stands for high-density polyethylene, and like it's name implies, is pretty much pure Polyethylene. They make milk jugs out of it. That males it easy, HDPE is HDPE

ABS stands for Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene. To simplify: Acrylonitrile is a plastic. Butadiene is a synthetic rubber. Styrene is a plastic. All of these have wildly different melting points, wear properties, and costs. ABS is a mixture of these three to get a good balance.

More to the point, how many ways can you mix three things? (the answer is infinite) Even if we restrict ourselves to common proportions (15 to 35% acrylonitrile, 5 to 30% butadiene and 40 to 60% styrene) you can still run the gamut from very rubbery to very brittle. When you're talking about something as finicky as an extruder, tiny variations in melt point, viscosity and so forth matter.

This bites people in the rear end all the time, and they don't even know it. For example a new filament supplier will show up offering ABS at some cheap random proportion and then people wonder why it gums up extruders. All the supplier says is that it's ABS and that's all the buyer knows to look for. Technically the material sheet will tell the whole story, but it's rarely provided an most people wouldn't be able to read it if it were.

The good news is that these problems are mostly things you can experiment and dial your machine in on a per spool basis. The bad news is that you pretty much need to.

And that's before you start looking into factors like air pockets, out of round or just poorly sized filament. It's a surprisingly hard problem to make it right and consistent. Pockets will lead to bad prints and sputtering. Newer sprung extruder designs tolerate poorly sized or shaped filament, but many older designs just choke and stop when the filament gets too thin for a good grip.

Color also has a noticeable influence.

In many ways PLA has been a boon here, as it's just on kind of monomer. Colorant can still gently caress it up though.

I'd buy from Makerbot, Makergear or Ultimachine. They're all known for high quality and consistent filament. There are other good places, but read up on them first.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
One colour of ABS that I've run into troubles with is MakerBot's first batch of glow-in-the-dark ABS. It glows just fine, but I've found that printing with it is a bit of a challenge.

It doesn't adhere to the build surface as well as other colours that I've used, and the end product is almost crumble-y in thin areas. It also has a very different texture.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Printed a great 3D scan by Artec on the weekend:

More photos here: http://www.techknight.com/blog/2012/05/01/printing-artec-birth-of-pegasus-scan/

The model was originally uploaded a couple of months ago as a single piece, so nobody printed it until Zomboe sliced it up on Thingiverse. :)

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 2, 2012

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Got my very first 3d printed objects in the mail today.

Replacement throttle handles for an old airplane. One had broken off so I figured why not make some fancy new ones.

Didn't take long to get from Eindhoven to here from shapeways.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

helno posted:

Got my very first 3d printed objects in the mail today.

Replacement throttle handles for an old airplane. One had broken off so I figured why not make some fancy new ones.

Didn't take long to get from Eindhoven to here from shapeways.

Do you have some pics of the handles installed? I'm having trouble picturing them in use.

Also, which tools did you use to create the model?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I'll have some pictures later tonight once they are installed.

They have a slot in the thin base part that fits over the existing metal from the lever.

My uncle does alot of work in solidworks and that was the result of about an hour of basic instruction from him over skype. It is amazing how much of a better program it is than autocad.

Edit: Pictures.

Problem

Solution

helno fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 10, 2012

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
There really is no comparison with parametric modeling programs like Pro/E, SolidWorks, or CATIA. I would be all over this if licenses weren't so drat expensive, I love doing solid modeling :(

E: Does anyone have a link to that professional multi-material printer? It was intended for small scale industrial use, not really home consumers, but I can't seem to find it again. They had a really slick video demonstrating the assembly with movable parts and flexible gaskets and such.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

E: Does anyone have a link to that professional multi-material printer? It was intended for small scale industrial use, not really home consumers, but I can't seem to find it again. They had a really slick video demonstrating the assembly with movable parts and flexible gaskets and such.

Are you thinking of Objet's printers? I wrote a bit about them and embedded one of their demo vids here last year: http://blog.ponoko.com/2011/09/08/objets-giant-multi-material-3d-printed-toddler/

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

helno posted:

I'll have some pictures later tonight once they are installed.

They have a slot in the thin base part that fits over the existing metal from the lever.

My uncle does alot of work in solidworks and that was the result of about an hour of basic instruction from him over skype. It is amazing how much of a better program it is than autocad.

Edit: Pictures.

Problem

Solution

Ok, see, I was confused because I wrongly assumed this was a model airplane :downs: Obviously, it makes perfect sense now.

However, I came here to bitch about Junior Veloso:

Junior Veloso posted:

Hi Guys,

Since I created the blog I knew that a lot people would be working in similar project and many of them would create a printer or kit. I think this is great because our project has inspired some other people.

I also knew that the mechanical design in this machine will be something that a lot of people will copy, modify, improve…. That’s the reason we:

- Focus a lot on software as we believe it can be used with any kit.
- Will provide the mechanical design details once we reach the goal. We don’t expect that this will be private after the campaign as things will be mainly available on internet.

So, what are the pos and cons of our project?

Pos:
- Software – we have the best software at affordable price, there is nothing similar in the market that can create the support and print. There are few open source slice STL, this is easy, the complex thing that no open source has is the ability to create the support automatically for the object. And none of open source software has a 3D graphical interface.

- Controller board – our controller board control 100% of the printer, including VGA input for the projector and motors. Most of people working on similar kits are using the VGA output from the notebook to display the image. This means that you cannot do anything on your computer while you are printing because your monitor will be “busy” for the printer.

- So, you just need one USB cable out of computer to control the machine

- We have very few moving parts, which allow us to have very thin wall thickness, around 300 microns. This is very important if you want to print small objects and hollow ones.

- We are using reliable linear actuator which provides better precision on Z axis.

Cons:

- We are not a open source kit (electronics and software)

Regards,

Jr

Link to the article

Maybe someone here can explain the difference to me but it seems like most of these 'pros' are totally moot.
1. Most open source slicing software generates easily collapsible support structures (e.g. Cura).
2. I've never owned a laptop or computer in the last 8+ years that couldn't handle dual video output. Even so, I don't think a product targeted at the hobbyist community should have dependencies on potentially expensive proprietary controllers when a practical and *cheap* alternative exists.
3. Ultimaker z-axis can (technically) achieve sub-micron resolution

Granted, Cura probably isn't currently capable of driving an SLA printer but if there was a reasonably priced, open-source SLA printer available I'd bet a cup of coffee that Daid or the Skeinforge crew would add support.

I had such high hopes, why is he doing it wrong? :smith:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

kafkasgoldfish posted:

2. I've never owned a laptop or computer in the last 8+ years that couldn't handle dual video output. Even so, I don't think a product targeted at the hobbyist community should have dependencies on potentially expensive proprietary controllers when a practical and *cheap* alternative exists.

Honestly I like the idea that the electronics generate a VGA signal directly and I'm therefore not looping a laptop or something into the workflow, but I'm not looking to buy one either so v:shobon:v

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Oh god oh god oh god

Another resin based printer, and this one looks legit, professional, and awesome...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/b9creations/b9creator-a-high-resolution-3d-printer

I'm really considering it...

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That does. It looks really professional and worked out.

I love seeing kickstarters that are "We designed and made it all and it's working, we just need to raise money to enable us to go into production." After all there are things sweat equity just can't get you through.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Oh god oh god oh god

Another resin based printer, and this one looks legit, professional, and awesome...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/b9creations/b9creator-a-high-resolution-3d-printer

And open source. $2400. Hmmm....

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
What organs do I have two of?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

The problem for me is that right now I live outside the US, so I will have to pay $2700 + import taxes. loving ouch.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
What does it count as for importation?

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?

Oh god oh god oh god

And this is EXACTLY what Junior should have done if he wanted to actually make any money from his labor. This guys seems to have a really sharp looking product, good resolution, and high accuracy. He also seems to really have his bases covered, and the asking price gets either a 'some assembly required' or 'working out of the box'
product to your door. Further he did not get his head so inflated by his work that he thinks that software by an unrecognized single individual with no commitment to open source is worth money.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

What does it count as for importation?
I don't know, I would like to find out how they calculate that tax. Last time I got dinged for the import tax it was like $30 tax on $60 worth of goods :downs:

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Linux Assassin posted:

And this is EXACTLY what Junior should have done if he wanted to actually make any money from his labor. This guys seems to have a really sharp looking product, good resolution, and high accuracy. He also seems to really have his bases covered, and the asking price gets either a 'some assembly required' or 'working out of the box'
product to your door. Further he did not get his head so inflated by his work that he thinks that software by an unrecognized single individual with no commitment to open source is worth money.

Signed up for kickstarter just to support it, holy poo poo.

I'll never be able to justify one at that cost, but everything you said is bang on.

This guy. This loving guy.

:gizz:

Edit : Fully funded. He was getting basically 2k an hour for as long as I've been watching. Good for him.

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 11, 2012

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I wonder if Junior checks it out and thinks :byodood: What the gently caress, man?!?
Riding my coattails :ssj:

Or whether he thinks "poo poo, I'm going about this all wrong."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

I wonder if Junior checks it out and thinks :byodood: What the gently caress, man?!?
Riding my coattails :ssj:

Or whether he thinks "poo poo, I'm going about this all wrong."

Likely the former, unfortunately.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Actually he seemed to take credit for inspiring the B9Creator guy:

Junior Veloso posted:

Since I created the blog I knew that a lot people would be working in similar project and many of them would create a printer or kit. I think this is great because our project has inspired some other people.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Is he under the impression he invented the concept?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I just want to interject that whether he does or not, taking something from idea to working prototype takes a lot of work, and even more after that to take it beyond. There is that.

Amanda Wozniak said something that I thought was very insightful and concise: "When you have something working, you are 15% done and the fun part is over."

I encounter people all the time who basically figure that all you need is the one brilliant game-changer idea and then somehow coast the rest of the way to the bank. Usually these people jealously guard their ideas and never get specific because they are terrified of someone stealing their idea (and in the end their idea sometimes boils down to basically "I have the next Facebook killer - I just need someone to program it!") But ideas are really not the hard part.

Veloso kind of raises some of those flags for me, but he does have a working system - just what seems like poor management. How much time has been wasted trying to guard concepts and build details that can't really be protected and don't matter much anyway? Could he have been where the B9Creator guy is a year ago?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Oh god oh god oh god

Yesyesyesyes! So wonderful to see someone picking up the slack that Junior has made over the past two years. Also this dude seems really cool, AND the fact that he's open sourcing everything is just awesome. I wonder if those resins can be lost wax cast...

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

For the resin machines, what exactly is limiting the resolution of the print?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

InternetJunky posted:

For the resin machines, what exactly is limiting the resolution of the print?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but I think it's the resolution of the projector in X and Y and then the stepping of the build platform in Z?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Penetration depth of the UV into the resin probably has an effect too.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?
Actually a bunch of things limit the resolution:

1- Penetration depth (how far does the blast of UV light go into the resin)
2- Stepper accuracy (how tight is the movement on the Z axis)
3- Projector resolution (how fine is the projected image)
4- Signal viability (is there enough UV light in a line of X size to activate the resin)
5- Scatter (how much UV light gets scattered into the resin beside the points that you are illuminating)
6- Strength (how strong is the resin immediately after exposure; if the mere act of moving the setting resin at 20 microns would warp or break it, then even though the projector, Z axis, and all other factors would let you do 20 micron, you can't REALLY do 20 micron accuracy because it would be warped before it set).

That said, looking at his prints, I think he may be being quite conservative with his measures and I bet that someone tweaking could get even higher accuracy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CAD: what are people using? I looked into a solidworks license but price :rolleyes:, I use sketchup but it doesn't seem powerful enough for printer cad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blender http://www.blender.org/ and Hexagon http://www.daz3d.com/products/hexagon/hexagon-what-is-hexagon are free if you're up to it.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
There's FreeCAD which I've never used but seems to be a decent 3d modeling cad program.

There's OpenSCAD which lots of people use to create parametric items, but is less of a 3d modeling program, and more of a series of scripts to make a 3d model. Because of this, there's quite a learning curve.

Google Sketchup is actually pretty decent. There are some file conversion issues, but if you already know it, it's ok.

Art of illusion is one that I've seen many people use, but it's not really a cad program. It's very popular due to its short learning curve.

The reprap wiki has a pretty decent summary page about various software packages. It also links some other pages about using that particular software package for use with a printer.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Don't forget Tinker CAD (web based, free) and Alibre Design Personal Edition ($200)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I use Alibre at work and like it very much. Definitely worth the money. I was only a mild SolidWorks user before, but Alibre is a close enough clone that the learning curve was tiny.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Don't forget Tinker CAD (web based, free)

If he thinks Sketchup isn't powerful enough, Tinker CAD is definitely not going to be satisfasctory. If you think Sketchup is too complex and difficult to use, then Tinker CAD is awesome.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Cakefool posted:

CAD: what are people using? I looked into a solidworks license but price :rolleyes:, I use sketchup but it doesn't seem powerful enough for printer cad.

Autodesk's 123D (free) is nice. It's designed specifically for digital fabrication projects.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

techknight posted:

Autodesk's 123D (free) is nice. It's designed specifically for digital fabrication projects.

oh sweet, they finally released the windows version. It was mac only last time.

I have Alibre now but it frustrates me at times. I wish I could get Solidworks, it looks 100 times better. Not sure why they don't offer a personal edition, I'll never shell out $1400-3000 for it but I might spend $400. It seems to me that $400 is better than $0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
Checkout Inventor Fusion, its free at the moment and supremely badass. its as easy as sketchup, but allows for parametrics like openscad.